What does Eclectic really mean for you? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 14 Old 10-16-2004, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I put my ds in school x3 months and am seriously planning to take him back out.

Do you apply a method like Charlotte Mason or The Well Trained Mind to your Eclectic approach or does it have it's own method?

Any book suggestions?

Thanks all - I'm still learning - Somethings the hard way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 10-16-2004, 09:11 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi berry

I think you will probably get a few different answers to this, but here is mine. I started out using FIAR and Story Stretchers...both utilized good books which my dd loves and a variety of activities (art, science, writing, history). Slowly, we added a math program (Miquon) and some reading workbooks (Sullivan Readers and Pathway Readers).

I like to think my approach is child- led in that we do many things dd loves and we would do anyway. We take lots of nature walks, visit museums, take art classes and just read a lot. Our home is eclectic in that we have Waldorf inspired ideas (nature table, silks, storytelling). We also decorate seasonally and put up things like alphabet posters.

Berry, I know there are things we don't do enough of...or rather, that we would like to do more of, like science experiments. I think being eclectic is using your best ideas,,,or what you enjoy and following your child's learning style and interests. For some people, that is unschooling, others it might be classical, with a strong interest in history.

Just like school...nothing is perfect, and we learn as we go. I wish you much luck in making your decision and hope some of this makes sense!

~Joan, Happy mom to 2 beautiful kiddos, one new puppy and 2 lovely felines
#3 of 14 Old 10-16-2004, 09:12 PM

I'm going to be no help at all :LOL, but eclectic means whatever you want it to mean. If you and your kids enjoy CM, do that. If you and your kids enjoy TWTM, do that. If you enjoy a method for a few months, and then decide to chuck it, do that. If you decide you guys really did like it afterall - go back to it. Or try something new.

I don't think "eclectic" is any particular method at all. Some people who use the term use it because they are not using a boxed curriculum (like Sonlight, or Calvert, or Oak Meadow), but are using curricula from a variety of sources for each subject.

Some people use the term "eclectic" because they are doing some formal math, and reading instruction, but no other formal instruction at all in any other "subject." (Some people call this "unschooling except for math and reading").

Some people use the term because they're unschoolers, but don't like the word, "unschooler."

I like the term because I feel it affords a lot of freedom and flexibility. Right now (and subject to change at any moment) we are secular, semi-unschooly, Charlotte Masony eclectic homeschoolers. Recently my kids requested formal lessons in math, and spelling - and we are keeping them short and sweet ala CM.

Laura

#4 of 14 Old 10-17-2004, 01:42 AM

Ive always understood eclectic to mean that you use many resources as opposed to just one total curriculum. You know, a little from here and a little from there. I agree with Openskyheart about it looking however you want it to for your family. Experiment, and go with what works. I'ts been said that many people start out schooling at home, and while some move to total unschooling, most are eclectic

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#5 of 14 Old 10-18-2004, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your responces.

I have gotten the feeling from people that tell me they are "Eclectic" that I have no idea what they are doing for schooling. I guess that is porbably because that is the case.

Sounds like it is semi-formal and unit study type stuff based on what the kids are interested in.

Sounds good to me
#6 of 14 Old 10-18-2004, 01:05 PM

For us it means we aren't afraid to experiment with different programs. We may be strict with math teachings and lay low for grammar lessons depending on the child. For us eclectic means we aren't bound by one set of rules for homeschooling.
#7 of 14 Old 10-18-2004, 04:09 PM
Dar

"Eclectic" is really a catch-all term... if you're not strictly following a method (any method!) but instead choosing bits and pieces from various methods that appeal to you, you're eclectic. There's no particular "homeschooling" definition of method for the word, it's just a word that means picking and choosing from various sources...

Dar

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

#8 of 14 Old 10-19-2004, 01:14 AM

When I've read about homeschooling from different perspectives such as Charlotte Mason's or through the book "The Well-Trained Mind" I find this to be very inspirational. Each time I read a new perspective, I tend to find something interesting, exciting, or motivating about it. But I don't completely change how I do things every time I read a good book with a convincing POV.

There is wisdom to be found in many places, but I must measure it against the realities I deal with: Myself--my abilities, preferences, vision, and limitations, each child and their strengths, weaknesses, goals and "learning language", what we have appropriate materials or space or time for, etc. These elements constitute my main core knowledge of my children's needs and of how learning works in our family. It is something I have been learning to understand better, bit by bit, for many years. The "method" offered by one source must take a far second place to this knowledge. Being "eclectic" means to me that we integrate elements in response to ourselves rather than we find ways to fit ourselves to a method envisioned separately from us.

ME&treehugger.gifHE... loving our: wild.gifdd(18) ~~violin.gifds(13) read.gifdd(13)~~ peace.gifdd(10)

#9 of 14 Old 10-19-2004, 01:48 AM

I just wanted to thank everyone here for your inspirational definitions of "eclectic". I had no idea that was what we were doing, and now it's nice to have a "term" for it. I'm new at homeschooling a school-aged child (we "unschooled" until Kindergarten). We just started today (after 3 weeks of dd's deschooling, and my frenzy to prepare myself). So far I couldn't be happier with our choice. This is the greatest feeling, and I can clearly see that it is the most important "job" I will ever have.
#10 of 14 Old 10-19-2004, 04:59 AM

I love your post, deeporgarten. Very well put.

Laura
#11 of 14 Old 10-19-2004, 03:14 PM

We unschool but that just blows some people away and truthfully I don't care to discuss my decision with strangers and have it analized. So the quick answer to what do you use is oh we are eclectic homeschoolers.

raven
#12 of 14 Old 10-22-2004, 01:21 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
To me, eclectic means that my children and I work on academics no more than 1.5 or 2 hours a day; and that what we do academically is vastly superior to any school. It means that we have hours and hours and hours of unstructured time to do what we want. For me, homeschooling is a buffet. I pick and choose and modify and throw away or go back for more. It's very relaxed.

We use Saxon Math, a Waldorf circle time, well-trained mind for history, Charlotte Mason nature journals, and do lots of reading, writing, and art every day. We use Alfred method for piano. We use our own plans for science.

We spend hours having tea parties, playing race cars, building forts, riding bikes, playing in the sandbox, and cooking. We have three meals a day with our whole family -- Dad too. At least one day a week, we spend hours with a larger group of homeschoolers -- playing and exploring. We have children over here at least once a week too.

After the more formal stuff we do each day, we're basically enthusiastic, highly active unschoolers. We don't have TV. We don't play computer games. We're unplugged. We read, make our own board games, tell stories, dance in the living room, put on concerts for each other, make maps, ...

Learning is a blast. With eclectic homeschooling, we're covering the basics and more; we're preparing our children for future university studies and academic achievement; and we're sharing with our children the gift of time and the freedom to be creative.

Peace,
teastaigh
#13 of 14 Old 10-22-2004, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

teastaigh I love the sound of what you are doing!! What age are your children? girls or boys?

Right now I am reading Charlette Mason Companion and love it. So many wonderful ideas. I have started incorporating some of her Narration type reading/learning style and like it. It feel like a good fit for ds. DD just eats up any kind of learing you put in front of her. Ds is not quite so easy. It has to interest him.
#14 of 14 Old 08-22-2014, 04:56 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by berryMO View Post
teastaigh I love the sound of what you are doing!! What age are your children? girls or boys?

Right now I am reading Charlette Mason Companion and love it. So many wonderful ideas. I have started incorporating some of her Narration type reading/learning style and like it. It feel like a good fit for ds. DD just eats up any kind of learing you put in front of her. Ds is not quite so easy. It has to interest him.
Sorry for such a delay in answering! Are you still out there?! Both of my children are boys. They are now 17 and 13. This is my "last" year homeschooling my oldest. It's bittersweet for me, but what an amazing journey and what a gift to our whole family. My approach hasn't changed much. My children have steered their activities pretty heavily into theatre and music and doing lots of their own projects.

peace,
teastaigh

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page