Eclectic Homeschooling - Mothering Forums

#1 of 3 Old 11-02-2007, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are talking about homeschooling DD for K and 1st. She's just 2 so I am strictly in the research and read like crazy phase of the journey.

The more reading I do, the more I think we'll go the eclectic route. For those that were new HSers and were eclectic (vs. eventually becoming eclectic as you homeschooled over time), how n earth did you figure out a plan??! How did you know what skills you wanted to hit and with what? Is it all just hit or miss?

I would just love a guideline that I can plug in the tools/books/etc I want to use fr HSing.

TIA for any tips!

**Kat**
Homeschooling her 5 year old.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 11-02-2007, 02:49 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathleenSLP View Post
We are talking about homeschooling DD for K and 1st. She's just 2 so I am strictly in the research and read like crazy phase of the journey.

The more reading I do, the more I think we'll go the eclectic route. For those that were new HSers and were eclectic (vs. eventually becoming eclectic as you homeschooled over time), how n earth did you figure out a plan??! How did you know what skills you wanted to hit and with what? Is it all just hit or miss?

I would just love a guideline that I can plug in the tools/books/etc I want to use fr HSing.

TIA for any tips!
I only have a second, but I just wanted to say (as someone who's been there ), you can read and plan all you want for the next few years. Odds are everything you plan will change, either drastically or gradually, once you start actually HSing! I'm a total planner and thought I had everything down. Now I find our days completely up in the air as I try to figure out what we're going to do. Unschooling is looking better and better!

I would say, read read read. Read everything: The Well-Trained Mind, the John Holt books, the Charlotte Mason books, the unschooling books, everything. I'm still read read reading, even when I thought I was done

Melissa, a homeschooling,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-guzzling, SAHM of two:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 and 
#3 of 3 Old 11-02-2007, 03:08 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
:

World Book has a Typical Course of Study site that can be helpful, bearing in mind that it is "typical", and your kid isn't

Eclectic just means you take what works for you. You will find things that work and things that don't, and will probably be surprised at what doesn't work. Don't spend a lot of money on curriculum, sight unseen. Take a few years to figure out what works for you and for your dd.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page