How do I maximize the use of community? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 4 Old 05-06-2008, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Hi, I have a 2 year old and plan to keep him with me until 6th grade at least. I'm not sure I ever want to enter into formal lessons with him, at least not until about age 7. We do a lot of projects, and know a lot of people with varied skills. We're in a medieval recreation group where besides history studies, lots of people do things like casting, woodwork, sewing, brewing, herbalism, calligraphy, ancient games, etc. My husband and I make pavillions (tents), cook ancient recipes, make jerky, brew mead, garden, and do some leather and woodwork. I see a huge opportunity for our son's learning in all this, especially when he's older and might sort of "apprentice" with other people. We use lots of science, math, art, handwork, etc in all this with practical application. Anyone have ideas on how I can maximize the potential of what we have here? Anyone else helping your child to learn in a similar way? How does this play out at different ages?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 05-06-2008, 02:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
sounds like a great plan.
At the youngest ages your child will want to do what ever you are doing, so this is a great time to expose him to all sorts of activities.
As he gets older you will want to follow his lead more, and help facilitate his connection with what he is interested in (it might turn out he has no interest in mediviel skills, but wants to program computers!)
Utilize the library to explore all the topics you and he are interested in as well.

You might want to read "teach Your Own" by John Holt and "And the Skylark sings with me" by Dave Alpert. These authors have examples of the kind of community based learning you are talking about.
Also checkout the unschooling forums here.
#3 of 4 Old 05-06-2008, 02:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
:

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!

#4 of 4 Old 05-06-2008, 02:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieCatheryn View Post
Hi, I have a 2 year old and plan to keep him with me until 6th grade at least. I'm not sure I ever want to enter into formal lessons with him, at least not until about age 7. We do a lot of projects, and know a lot of people with varied skills. We're in a medieval recreation group where besides history studies, lots of people do things like casting, woodwork, sewing, brewing, herbalism, calligraphy, ancient games, etc. My husband and I make pavillions (tents), cook ancient recipes, make jerky, brew mead, garden, and do some leather and woodwork. I see a huge opportunity for our son's learning in all this, especially when he's older and might sort of "apprentice" with other people. We use lots of science, math, art, handwork, etc in all this with practical application. Anyone have ideas on how I can maximize the potential of what we have here? Anyone else helping your child to learn in a similar way? How does this play out at different ages?
The only thing I didn't see mentioned, which you may be doing anyway, is reading stories and myths set in that time period. My kids LOVE medieval stories! Even though we passes the time period long ago in history, they still request those stories!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page