Is Five in a Row secular? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 8 Old 06-30-2008, 10:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was just browsing all the titles and looking up some that I'm not familiar with, and The Clown of God by DePaola is in Vol. 1. I looked it up on Amazon, and while it sounds like a beautiful and moving story, it also seems to be very religious.

Just wondering if religion is a big part of the lessons on some of the other books on the reading list.

TIA!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 06-30-2008, 10:40 PM

It is written my a Christian family but it was meant to be used by both secular and religious families. I think they did a great job of separating the Christian material. The Christian supplement is separate and everything else is secular. I am pretty sure Clown of God was the only story we found religious. (I will admit it has been a while.) We are a totally secular family and we used it for a year with no complaints.
#3 of 8 Old 07-01-2008, 12:39 AM

We used FIAR in a group setting and I found it to be very Christian based. It wasn't difficult to make it secular. We just had to skip some books.

#4 of 8 Old 07-01-2008, 10:55 AM

FIAR volume 1 was okay. The BFIAR book was about worthless to us, though. It seemed like every other book was religious-based.

Homesteading Mama to homeschoolin' kiddos London (10) ; Alexander (8) :; Holden (5) :; and Sergei born at home 8/18/08
#5 of 8 Old 07-01-2008, 01:20 PM

We just pick and choose which books to do and it's very easy to leave out things that don't match our beliefs. For July, we're doing Lentil, Storm in the Night, How to Make an Apple Pie and See the World, and Night of the Moonjellies. I'm just going to skip around and do FIAR here and there, so it's not our only curricula or anything.

www.homeschoolshare.com has some great FIAR resources and lapbook resources. I plan on doing our own version of FIAR for some books that I choose as well.
#6 of 8 Old 07-01-2008, 03:21 PM

I didn't find it religious at all. I was looking for something specifically non religious. I really liked it.
#7 of 8 Old 07-01-2008, 07:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I liked The Clown of God book...it's been a while but you can read about people who are monks and such without suggesting it is the "right" way, you know?
#8 of 8 Old 07-01-2008, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary-Beth View Post
I liked The Clown of God book...it's been a while but you can read about people who are monks and such without suggesting it is the "right" way, you know?
Absolutely! I think Clown of God IS a book I want to read to my little ones -- it sounds like it's really beautiful and moving. I just wanted to check in with you all about the whole FIAR outlook before I hit the "buy" button!

Thanks so much for your help!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page