Thank You Anglyn: Advice That Rocked My Perceptions - Mothering Forums

#1 of 11 Old 09-11-2008, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
In a reply to one of my prior posts, in which I talked of considering homeschooling and being afraid of the unknown, you directed me to www.johntaylorgatto.com , where I am reading his book, bit by bit, online.
Thank you thank you. You have no idea what you just set into motion in my life. I feel like fireworks just went off on my desktop!

I am a "failed" educator, having been not rehired for my tenure year last spring, after 2 years of rave reviews from students, parents and colleagues. Why? My principal felt I "lost my focus" after having my daughter. I also didn't conform enough to her cookie cutter mold of an authoritarian teacher... I didn't care enough about grades and cared more about building self-esteem and sense of self in my classroom (I am actually shaking with rage as I recount this and type my story). For almost a full year, I felt like a failure. My principal made me feel like a failure. I just couldn't fall into lock step well enough. I felt like I was 6 years old again, when my first grade teacher drew the entire attention of the class to me when I wet my pants, afraid to ask to go to the bathroom. That moment is seared into my brain, and I can remember it in vivid detail with horror. The feeling comes tumbling back over me. I guess I never followed the rules very well. I always suspected, even though I loved working with the kids, that there was a lot of problematic rhetoric built into public education. So much "just shut up and take it." I couldn't understand the arbitrary rules as a student, even as a professional teacher. It seemed like the most successful teachers were the ones who fit the mold the best. That's what we've been trained to do. This book makes so much sense and speaks so loudly and truly to my heart, it is painful! I have been so trained into the system, I never even questioned it.

I had colleagues, friends (good people), who mocked parents behind their backs and shunned any parent participation as being to much of a pain, even while I had an open invitation to my students' parents to come in any time.
Why would I ship my daughter off to a place I don't know, where I have no control over what is happening to her all day (and neither does she), and am not really welcome , while she is taught to sit straight with a smile, raise her hand and ask permission to get out of her seat (all necessary to maintain order in a classroom, I agree... but not something I wish to force my child into doing!) Most parents don't even know what their kid is up to all day. "How was school honey?" "Fine. Now were's my iPod and my PSP?"

Some of you who already all knew this must be smiling right now as you read. I feel like I just hatched.
Anglyn likes this.

Mom to Delia  (5/25/07) and Alex  (4/10/10) and 2 spoiled kitties
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 09-11-2008, 03:27 PM

:
#3 of 11 Old 09-11-2008, 04:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
WELCOME TO OUR CLUB!!!

Amy ~ SAHM to DS (9) DD (5) and DS (2) And  expecting a  stork-girl.gif  late May 2012!

homebirth.jpg  cd.gif  slingboy.gif  familybed1.gif  winner.jpg  novaxnocirc.gif  goorganic.jpg

#4 of 11 Old 09-11-2008, 04:20 PM

Gatto rocked my world, too! I look back at all the stuff I fought in school, for real, and in my mind, and feel so vindicated by what Gatto says. Like, I wasn't wrong. The problem was I was too right.
#5 of 11 Old 09-11-2008, 04:39 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Oh my. I feel like I just watched a baby bird learn to fly.

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#6 of 11 Old 09-11-2008, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Why would I ship my daughter off to a place I don't know, where I have no control over what is happening to her all day (and neither does she), and am not really welcome , while she is taught to sit straight with a smile, raise her hand and ask permission to get out of her seat (all necessary to maintain order in a classroom, I agree... but not something I wish to force my child into doing!) Most parents don't even know what their kid is up to all day. "How was school honey?" "Fine. Now were's my iPod and my PSP?"
Thats exactly how I feel! Its not even that there has to be something "wrong" with the school (that's what anyone I tell we are homeschooling asks...oh what happened???). Its not that there was a big INCIDENT its just that I think homeschooling is better way for us and I'm in a position to do it so why not?
#7 of 11 Old 09-11-2008, 10:16 PM

:

Don't you feel like you just got unplugged from the Matrix?

Dawn - Mom to : Jack 11/04 and David 5/08
#8 of 11 Old 09-11-2008, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdie22 View Post
:

: I like this analogy.

OP - You may also like the book "Homeschooling our Kids, Unschooling Ourselves" written by Alison McKee who was a trained educator who chose to homeschool her children in freedom. I'm going to send it to my mom so she can understand what we're up to.

I have read one of Gatto's articles, but his books are still on my list (I have a very long list). Maybe I'll check them out online, too, since the library copies are all backed up by at least 6 holds on the first returned copy!

I am a 40 year old unschooling, belly dancing, artist-mama of one almost 8 year old. I just had brain surgery and blogging.jpg about it a bit because it's just so surreal.
#9 of 11 Old 09-11-2008, 11:33 PM - Thread Starter

I completely feel like I just took the little pill and got flushed out. That scene was such a perfect comparison to how I was feeling earlier. Public schools do have their place. After all, somebody has to be trained to fill all the mindless desk monkey jobs out there. Lucky for our family, it won't be any of us!

I will take a look at some of the other books suggested. The one I mentioned just happens to be online for free.

Mom to Delia  (5/25/07) and Alex  (4/10/10) and 2 spoiled kitties
#10 of 11 Old 09-11-2008, 11:54 PM

How very sad that people like you, who sound like geniunely GOOD teachers.. are pushed out of the system by the status quo of the education system

Enjoy homeschooling though! You've just opened a world of doors for yourself & your kids! Take time out to remember why you became a teacher, and how great it feels to watch kids thrive and 'get it' and actually enjoy learning!

Quote:
LOL LOVE that! It's the absolute truth too.. I started hs'ing for temporary reasons and now can't imagine chaining my family back into that system!

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#11 of 11 Old 09-12-2008, 12:08 AM

:

Welcome to the homeschooling world!! ENJOY!!

nurse, mama, doula-in-training to J-14, J-13, S-7, S-4, and P-2(born at home
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page