hi from Japan!!!!!! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

#31 of 242 Old 02-16-2006, 10:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, sorry for the long delay! Finally managed to get together with my MW and got the name of a MW clinic in Naha (capital city of Okinawa).

Nakamura Nursing
tel. 090-9071-7426

There is likely to be someone there who speaks English... can't guarantee though. This is just a place to start... since you don't know where you are going to be. If you find out you can mail me again and we can try to find another if need be!

Caitlin in Shiga
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 242 Old 02-17-2006, 04:35 PM

Thank you!!!

DH just got his orders at the beginning of the week, & we are staying in NC. But I will keep the info on hand b/c we are likely to end up there & pregnant eventually.

And I just met a gal who is there & looking for a midwife, so I will send her the info.

Thanks again!

-Shannon, momma to H reading.gif 8/03, N heartbeat.gif 9/06, & P homebirth.jpg 8/11, missing S brokenheart.gif born at 11 wks 1/09 

#33 of 242 Old 02-24-2006, 02:38 AM

I'm so glad to see you guys' posts!! We are moving to Kadena AB (in Okinawa) in November, and plan to TTC next spring. We want either a home or birth center (not hospital) birth for baby #3, and I've been trying to find out if that was even an option in Okinawa. What kind of info can you guys give me about this (or any other) midwife in the area? What kinds of things are standard there? Do they do home/hospital/or birth center births?

Wow! I'm just SO thrilled!

Liv

#34 of 242 Old 03-16-2006, 01:55 PM

Hi, I'm living in Sendai and ever since I found out that I'm
pregnant (due in Sept.), I've been interviewing doctors to
decide on where to give birth. I personally would prefer
to have an independent midwife at a home birth or out
of a hospital, but the only midwife run birthing center
I've been able to locate doesn't accept 1st time
pregnancies. All of the hospitals I've looked at
are very doctor centered and not patient friendly (at least that's
what it felt like when I spoke with them). I heard about a couple
of supposedly good hospitals, but when I called/went to them they
were already "booked up for September" (this was in February).

Any help with this and/or finding a pediatrician with a "holistic /
antivaccine" stance will be greatly appreciated.

Rhannie
#35 of 242 Old 03-17-2006, 03:11 AM

Hello mommas! I'm so happy to see there are other Mothering moms in Japan. My name is Barbara and my DH is a teacher on a Navy base in Sasebo Japan. We've been here since Sept and totally LOVE living here. It looks like we will be here at least 7 years and I am really looking forward to learning more about the culture, traveling around, and taking some Japanese language lessons!

Barbara:  an always learning SAHM of Ilana (11) and Aiden (8) living in Belgium with my amazing husband.

#36 of 242 Old 03-21-2006, 07:50 PM

treemom2!!!! Hello!!!!! I thought everyone is so far away, and there you are!!!!!! I`m in Nagasaki... just a few short hours away. I have 3 kids and have been here for many years. We are settled here so will be here for many more. My husband is Japanese, he`s a high school teacher.

anyway, hello!!!!!!!!
#37 of 242 Old 03-24-2006, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhannie
Any help with this and/or finding a pediatrician with a "holistic /
antivaccine" stance will be greatly appreciated.

Rhannie
Hi Rhannie,
I am miles away in Nara so have no Sendai specif info, but you mention you visited some places and they wont take first timers, how about calling them again and asking them if they can recommend somewhere that does, they should even have lists of all the independent midwives in the country, they all belong to a huge Midwives of Japan Network.

The hard part with finding a decent doc is the best info comes from other mothers but until you have a child it is difficult to get to know a lot of other mothers, do you have some good Japanese friends you could ask.
My kids are unvaxed and it has never been an issue here, I have never been called upon to defend my decision in any way.

HTH
#38 of 242 Old 03-24-2006, 09:28 PM

Hello there Mad Cow.
Nagasaki is so far away from me but great to have more Japan Mamas on board.
yoroshiku ne
#39 of 242 Old 03-25-2006, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunset
Hi Rhannie,
I am miles away in Nara so have no Sendai specif info, but you mention you visited some places and they wont take first timers, how about calling them again and asking them if they can recommend somewhere that does, they should even have lists of all the independent midwives in the country, they all belong to a huge Midwives of Japan Network.

The hard part with finding a decent doc is the best info comes from other mothers but until you have a child it is difficult to get to know a lot of other mothers, do you have some good Japanese friends you could ask.
My kids are unvaxed and it has never been an issue here, I have never been called upon to defend my decision in any way.

HTH
Sunset,

Thanks for the suggestions, the biggest problem I've been having (besides there only being one independent midwife in the area), is that the hospitals that are supposed to be good have closed (older doctors) or stopped doing deliveries. There are now only 2 mediocre hospitals within a 30 min drive that do deliveries, beyond that about 45-1hr away (depending on traffic) there are bigger hospitals that do deliveries, but they also have a lot of traffic in and out b/c they are the city hospitals where other medical conditions are also treated--I'd rather not run the risk of a random infection from another ward for me or my child.

I've been checking with parents of kids I teach and some other friends with kids regarding pediatricians, but their idea of a good doctor and mine are very different. (EG. I wouldn't put my child on an IV for a minor case of the flu, where it seems to be standard practice with most docs around here.)

BTW, Just curious, but did you have your kids in Japan were your kids born in Japan or did you move here after they were "supposed" to be vaxed?

Rhannie
#40 of 242 Old 03-25-2006, 07:19 PM

After I replied to your post i started thinking the same thing, that quite often the other Mothers' definition of a good doc and mine is different.
I ove the doc we have now but a lot of others don't like him, they feel he takes 'too long', because he really thoroughly examines the kids instead of assuming they have whatever is going round. You can always refuse the drip,
anti biotics etc

My kids were all born in Osaka with a midwife.
My eldest had the BCG because I followed the other sheep, then I got info and decided not to do anymore. When its time for the vax they send you a card from city hall I just chucked the cards away and no one has ever contacted me or asked me about it. When my eldest was in first grade they were doing bcg boosters and there was a form to fill out, I just ticked the
box that said we don't want it. It was that simple. They have stopped doing that one now so it never came up again with my other children.
I don't know if its because it is a given that everyone vaxes or what but it has never been an issue here it just doesn't seem to be such a hot topic .
You don't have to actually declare yourself a non vaxer.

I hope you can find someone in Sendai. I know a lot of my Japanese friends don't know much about midwife clinics because they never considered them an option when they had their babies.
Keep posting.
#41 of 242 Old 04-13-2006, 03:06 AM

Well, I just wanted to check in here and say hi. I am in Fukuoka-shi (kyushu). Been here for 2 years. Maybe leaving soon and heading further north somewhere near Tokyo, or maybe moving to the US, or maybe staying in Fukuoka longer. We do love it here, so it will be sad to go.

My first daughter was born August 2004, 2 months after arriving in Japan. I am expecting #2 in a few short weeks - May 5, 2006. I was very happy with my ante- and post-natal care for #1, so we were eager to go for a second child here too. For the first one we didn't even consider a homebirth because we were so fresh off the boat. For the second one, I tried to look around here for some home birth options... but begin that my japanese is very poor (even though I am really making a big effort to study), I stopped the search. It was just easier to settle on a birth clinic where I could find some english speaking docs and staff. I did change clinics from my first birth though. I feel my new clinic is more in tuned with the laboring mother's needs....

Just wanted to say hi! Any of you guys still out there??
#42 of 242 Old 04-14-2006, 07:52 AM

Welcome Raks! I'm in Sasebo! Nice to hear there is another Mothering mom joining us!!

Barbara:  an always learning SAHM of Ilana (11) and Aiden (8) living in Belgium with my amazing husband.

#43 of 242 Old 04-14-2006, 08:33 AM

well, hello raks!!! I`m still here in Nagasaki, not very far from you or treemom2. We can start a Kyushu-club!!!!!!!!

I`m very new myself, but welcome anyway.
#44 of 242 Old 04-27-2006, 11:51 PM

I miss Kyushu. I lived in Saga for 2 years before ending up here in Sendai.
#45 of 242 Old 04-28-2006, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raks
My first daughter was born August 2004, 2 months after arriving in Japan. I am expecting #2 in a few short weeks - May 5, 2006. I was very happy with my ante- and post-natal care for #1, so we were eager to go for a second child here too. For the first one we didn't even consider a homebirth because we were so fresh off the boat. For the second one, I tried to look around here for some home birth options... but begin that my japanese is very poor (even though I am really making a big effort to study), I stopped the search. It was just easier to settle on a birth clinic where I could find some english speaking docs and staff. I did change clinics from my first birth though. I feel my new clinic is more in tuned with the laboring mother's needs....
I'm glad that you were able to find a clinic that suits you. Unfortunately, the number of clinics here has almost halved in a year and a half, so there aren't many and they are all booked to the gills. Keep your fingers crossed for me--I was pretty much resigned to using a clinic that is supposed to be good (I personally don't like the doctors there much, but they were a better choice than some of the others out there), when information about a home-birth midwife fell into my lap. I've met her once and everything seems good, so . . . let's keep our fingers crossed.
#46 of 242 Old 05-24-2006, 04:58 AM

another one in japan here. hello!
i live in nagoya with my japanese hubby and 3month old baby girl (who was born in the water at an awesome local midwifery). we have just decided not to vax.

sunset and mad cow, don't i know you??
#47 of 242 Old 05-26-2006, 09:57 AM

yes, I might know who you are. It`s possible that I have a stack of magazines in my genkan for you... they just need to be wrapped up and addressed.... oh, such effort. I hope I can get to it soon!!!!

tell us about your name!!! ???

oh and welcome here. I found out about this place from sunset.
#48 of 242 Old 05-27-2006, 05:15 AM

So glad you found it here.
Welcome, and glad you reached a decision.
Sunset
#49 of 242 Old 05-31-2006, 04:08 AM

can somebody translate this exchange for me? no big deal just wondering...

"zannenkedo, kono computer wa nihongo ga dekimasen! Yoroshikattara, ... ni message o dahitte kudasai...

Daijobu yo.....romaji de juubun manzoku wo shiteimasu"

ty
#50 of 242 Old 06-03-2006, 08:06 PM

Where in Japan are you moving next? I have various connections around the country and may be able to help you connect... Deborah Ruth
#51 of 242 Old 06-03-2006, 08:10 PM

cool that you're interested in Jpn... Have you been looking at ways to go there? I'd be happy to get you some info.
Blessings and shalom,
Deborah Ruth
[email protected]
#52 of 242 Old 06-03-2006, 08:23 PM

not sure how often people will be coming on here, but figured I'd come on here for anyone needing kanji files with En. definitions and pronunciations in both hiragana and romaji incl. for the kanji... might be useful for some of the cross-cultural marriages... or even those who just plain want a Jpns. name for their non-Jpns. child...
oh... and I'm a doula too... will be in Fukui for a few months when I go back soon.
Deborah Ruth
PS. personal message me if you want info on what I mentioned.
#53 of 242 Old 06-06-2006, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnie
can somebody translate this exchange for me? no big deal just wondering...

"zannenkedo, kono computer wa nihongo ga dekimasen! Yoroshikattara, ... ni message o dahitte kudasai...

Daijobu yo.....romaji de juubun manzoku wo shiteimasu"

ty
The jist of the exchange is:

Too bad, but this computer can't read Japanese. If you want, please send the message to . . .

That's all right, romaji works well enough...
#54 of 242 Old 06-07-2006, 09:53 PM

I absolutely love babelfish (http://babelfish.altavista.com/) it translates english to japanese and the other way around--it has saved me many times when I have to write notes to DD's school and the english speaking teacher isn't there that day!

#55 of 242 Old 06-10-2006, 03:42 AM

ok, so what is romaji ? and ty!
#56 of 242 Old 06-10-2006, 06:10 AM

Romanji is the english way to write words (please correct me if I am wrong), for example: you can write watashiwa like this or in hiragana characters.

#57 of 242 Old 06-11-2006, 02:51 AM

thank you very much.
#58 of 242 Old 06-18-2006, 01:16 PM

Konnichiwa!!
So glad I found a tribe here in Japan. I live in Yokosuka-shi, Kanagawa-ken. We are on the Miura pennisula about 30 minutes south of Yokohama.
My DH works at the Naval base here but we are NOT military. I cosleep with my DD's (Ellie-3, Emi-2) and we dont vax. Of course the military is not happy with us on that. And I still nurse my 2 yr old.
It is so wonderful to read about Breastfeeding, homebirths, midwives, etc here in Japan.
I have been here 2 yrs but still dont know the language (I am renewing my attempts to learn this week. It will be my 3rd attempt!).
Anyhoo, Hi and hope to hear from ya soon.

~Kim
#59 of 242 Old 06-20-2006, 08:24 AM

Welcome Kimi! I'm not sure if you have read the thread, but we are on base in Sasebo. Like you, my DH works as a teacher on base so we are not military as well. We also don't vax and have had probs on base because of it--especially when my DS got pneumonia and I had to take him to the base clinic. However, since that experience we have vowed to only see docs out in town. Anyway, it's nice to meet you and maybe we can meet in person sometime--it would be nice to get together with someone with some of the same views in the same situation!!

Also, there is a military spouse thread that I have joined here--they are okay with us being civilians and have helped me when I haven't really known what to do in certain situations on base. Here's the link: https://www.mothering.com/discussions...9&goto=newpost

#60 of 242 Old 06-25-2006, 04:22 AM

I'm going to Jpn. for a few mo. this summer (lived in Jpn. for 4)... will spend at least parts of a couple weeks in Tokyo... If you want to hang out with someone else of the homebirth mindset some time when I'm there, feel free to email and let me know... My email is [email protected]
Deborah Ruth Trotter
(doula in training)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page