hi from Japan!!!!!! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

#61 of 242 Old 08-09-2006, 04:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey homebirthing mommas, how did you find your midwife? I live in Kyushu and just found out I'm pg and need to find a midwife--HELP!!!!! Please!!

Barbara:  an always learning SAHM of Ilana (11) and Aiden (8) living in Belgium with my amazing husband.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 242 Old 09-01-2006, 08:52 AM

congratulations treemom2!!!!!! I don`t know anything about midwives in the area but I hope that you find something good.

let me know if you ever come around these parts..........
#63 of 242 Old 09-01-2006, 09:07 AM

Treemum2 congrats. Me too don't know anything about Kyyushu, I found my mdwife through a friend, you could try asking at the ward office and see if there is any chance they have a list, or if you have a regular clinic appointment ask them if they can refer you.

Madcow and you must hook up!!

#64 of 242 Old 09-02-2006, 09:51 AM

how`s it progressing with finding a midwife, treemom2??? Years and years ago I had a friend go all the way to Fukuoka to find a midwife..... hopefully there are more around your area now....
#65 of 242 Old 09-02-2006, 09:33 PM

I'm going to be meeting a midwife from my DD's school sometime in the next month since they just started school again. I am hoping things go well! My family doc totally scared me about this birth. I am overweight and she told me that most Japanese docs and midwives don't like dealing with overweight women and the docs may just want to c-sec me--ARGH!!! I mean, I know I'm way bigger than Japanese women, but I have had a natural birth and I know my body can do it. What do you all think?

Barbara:  an always learning SAHM of Ilana (11) and Aiden (8) living in Belgium with my amazing husband.

#66 of 242 Old 09-02-2006, 11:28 PM

I had all 3 kids in Japan with a Japanese doctor so I don`t know how it is in the states, but, Japanese doctors do seem to make a big deal out of weight. Especially about the weight gain during the pregnancy. I think they are much stricter than the american guidelines allow. But, I think before you get worried about all the possibilities, you should relax and meet with the midwife and then see what happens. Good luck!!!
#67 of 242 Old 09-03-2006, 01:03 AM

Oooh! Would any of you be willing to look at the grocery store next time you go for mentos for me?!? lol I am trying to get all of the flavors and some are only available in Asia. Here are some of the flavors I am looking for:
Lime Lemon
Citrus Mango
Currant
Raisin
Licorice (there are two types-regular and salted)
Chlorophyll
Strawberry Yoghurt
Others???
If anyone finds some of these flavors and would be willing to ship them to me (I will pay of course!!), can you please pm me? Thanks!!!

Cari-mama to Eriq, Lile, Paikea, Kaidyn, and Mieke is here!! 2/9/10
#68 of 242 Old 09-04-2006, 01:58 AM

I`ll check out what flavors are available next time I go to the store...
#69 of 242 Old 09-05-2006, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemom2
I'm going to be meeting a midwife from my DD's school sometime in the next month since they just started school again. I am hoping things go well! My family doc totally scared me about this birth. I am overweight and she told me that most Japanese docs and midwives don't like dealing with overweight women and the docs may just want to c-sec me--ARGH!!! I mean, I know I'm way bigger than Japanese women, but I have had a natural birth and I know my body can do it. What do you all think?
I used to live in Kyushu and depending on the area you are in I can ask some of my friends if they can reccommend a doctor or midwife for you; I know how frustrating it is to try to find someone you can trust with your birth. I was ready to pull my hair out and head back home until I stumbled on a midwife who attends home births in the area.

Where in Kyushu are you located? If you're in Fukuoka there are supposed to be some good doctors/hospitals in the city. But hopefully the midwife you've found will be able to work with you; if not you can check this site (sorry its only in Japanese): http://www.midwife.or.jp/05_midwifer...s_list_06.html for another midwife in the area. Find your prefecture and look for the circles under the first and second column following the phone numbers; the first is birthing clinics the second is for home births. Looks like there are a lot more midwives who attend births in Kyushu than there are up here (2 for the whole prefecture).

The doctors and midwives here ARE very strict about weight gain, but even that isn't consistant from caregiver to caregiver (it ranges from 6 to 12 kilograms of gain during preganacy depending on who you talk to). My midwife was reasonable and said that its not really a problem as long as you're gaining steadily and not all at once or in spurts. She's been very accomodating to the cultural differences as well. When it comes down to the health of the baby though, she won't hedge to tell you to "get serious and take care of yourself/your baby."

A lot of doctors want to schedule as many c-sections as possible because there aren't enough of them (doctors) to deliver the number of babies due in the country. I live in Sendai and in one year the number of doctors who attend births has more than halved--there are literally not enough doctors for the population of pregnant women in this area, so they use ANY reason they can to try to scare you into a c-section. Plus for a lot of caregivers the rule of thumb is if you've had a c-section once you MUST have a c-section from then on, its like they've never heard of a VBAC. Ask for the percentage of repeat c-sections and VBACS before you even have an exam, if they won't tell you or its not good call or go to the next place. There are actually some hospitals that have an overall c-section rate of more than 60%, but some also have a very low c-section rate of under 10% including repeat c-sects.

If you find the right caregiver you more than likely will be able to have a vaginal birth especially since it'll be your second--the important part (if you use a doctor) is to make sure you are informed about your birth and what you want. If the midwife will work with you that's great (a lot don't do VBACs), if not try to find a doctor who is open to a variety of birthing methods with low c-section rates. One good way to start is to find the doctor who does backup for the local midwives; they're usually more willing to work with you as an individual and not a routine--thus if you are informed about your choices there's a better chance of you having the birth you want even in a hospital.

Wish you luck and hope you are able to find a caregiver who you can trust and work with throughout your pregnancy. Let us know how everything goes with the midwife.

Rhannie:
Due in 10 days and been through 5 different doctors before finding a midwife and backup doctor to trust with overseeing my baby's birth.
#70 of 242 Old 10-16-2006, 02:51 AM

Hi! I'm looking for info for a friend. She lives in Yokosuka, Japan, near a Navy Base. Anyway, she's pregnant w/ #3 and had 2 awesome natural hospital births w/ mw in Germany. Now she's finding the care in Japan is much more "policy" driven. I'm not sure if she's at a Navy hospital or a Japanese one... Anyway, she's afraid she won't get the birth she wants. Can anyone give me info on finding a mw, doula, someone she can talk to about her other options in Japan? They aren't military but work w/ the military. Any ideas???

Emily
#71 of 242 Old 10-16-2006, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaJean View Post
Hi! I'm looking for info for a friend. She lives in Yokosuka, Japan, near a Navy Base. Anyway, she's pregnant w/ #3 and had 2 awesome natural hospital births w/ mw in Germany. Now she's finding the care in Japan is much more "policy" driven. I'm not sure if she's at a Navy hospital or a Japanese one... Anyway, she's afraid she won't get the birth she wants. Can anyone give me info on finding a mw, doula, someone she can talk to about her other options in Japan? They aren't military but work w/ the military. Any ideas???
Emily
Hello Emily! I am currently pg with my third as well and have had a heck of a time figuring out what I am going to do here in Japan. I have found a Japanese doc I like that has agreed to let me birth with very little intervention--as long as I meet certain requirements (I don't gain more than 20 lbs, the baby doesn't look like it is more than 9 lbs, etc. . .). I also have an interview with a midwife next week. She was very difficult to find, but if your friend keeps asking around she may be able to find one. Also, I have a friend here on base who used to doula at the Yokosuka hospital. . .however, she did tell me the hospital is very medicalized and didn't recommend I try to get transferred up there for my birth. I am actually on a Navy base in Sasebo and would be more than willing to talk with your friend about what I have found living here--in fact, it's a free call if she calls my base phone number. PM me if she is interested.

#72 of 242 Old 10-17-2006, 08:00 AM

Have you looked at the midwives on this page?
http://www.midwife.or.jp/05_midwifer...ist_02.html#14
There may be one that can help you out or suggest something.
#73 of 242 Old 10-18-2006, 12:25 PM

Hello,
just thougth I'd pop in and say hi from Okinawa.
I've been living here for 3 years. Unfortunately I leave next March

I really don't want to go, but it will be good to be back in the USA.

Just thougth I'd say hello.

~Moose
#74 of 242 Old 10-18-2006, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhannie View Post
Have you looked at the midwives on this page?
http://www.midwife.or.jp/05_midwifer...ist_02.html#14
There may be one that can help you out or suggest something.
Thanks, I'll pass that along. That page was all in Japanese though so I have no idea what it says!

Thanks for the help!
#75 of 242 Old 10-19-2006, 04:00 AM

Hi, Ive had two wonderful natural births here, one at a birth clinic and the other at a midwives clinic. Two resources that helped me tremendously to make sure I had the birth I wanted was:

Japan Health Handbook by Meredith Enman Maruyama, Louise Picon Shimizu, Nancy Smith Tsurumaki (this is often sold at Foreign Book stores in Japan too)

http://www.amazon.com/Health-Handboo...e=UTF8&s=books

Nagoya Foreign Mothers Group English Booklet. It can be downloaded from

http://www.tcp-ip.or.jp/~lorna/mothers/index.html

Please have her read these, and tell her to make sure she asks her potential doctors and midwives alot of questions about what they do during a typical (and atypical birth) and discuss with them what she wants and doesnt want. Birth in Japan is different than it would be elsewhere, but you can find doctors and midwives who will be happy to work with you to ensure you have the birth experience you want.
#76 of 242 Old 12-10-2006, 12:24 AM

Hi, I live on Okinawa and am pregnant with our first child. I appreciate the Japan midwives link. I am looking into that as an alternative to the military hospital here.

Does anyone know the breastfeeding laws for Japan?

Kerensa
#77 of 242 Old 12-10-2006, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnamCara View Post
Does anyone know the breastfeeding laws for Japan?
I don't know about the actual laws, but I do know that here in Sasebo women have been asked to move to an alternate location in restaurants/shops/etc when they are breastfeeding in public. Most large stores have a breastfeeding room that is pretty nice. I actually just read an article that said that many Japanese moms BF at home but formula feed in public. When I have needed to BF my DS I either have asked where to do it (using mostly sign language ) or I have done it before or after going out. A couple of times I have had to do it very discreetly in public, but I always cover up and try to find a location out of the view of others. It's funny, because in the states I am one of those women who always NIP and dare someone to say something to me but here in Japan I try to respect their culture as much as I can so I do what they would do.

#78 of 242 Old 12-11-2006, 12:29 PM

Hi, I don't know about the laws here (if any) but I have been quite relaxed about NIP... It is great to seek out your local nursing rooms, often in kids' areas of large department stores, ask for "ju-nyuu-shitsu" (feeding room). Usually well-equipped with comfy chairs, changing tables etc.
Along with restaurants, stores, cafes etc. I have even BFd on busy commuter trains, when I had no choice! Just took a deep breath and did it. I fiind most people VERY accepting and welcoming of BF. Several times I had people approach us and I stiffened in anticipation of a negative comment, and in fact they just wanted to see the cute baby and were all apologetic and warm and fuzzy when they realized we were BFing. Not once did I have a negative comment, nor was I ever asked to move to another location.
DS is now 3 and rarely asks for nursies when we are out and about any more, but even when we do nobody has ever given me flak about nursing a toddler.
Best of luck with your pregnancy and finding a good midwife!
Caitlin in Shiga, oh so far from Okinawa....
#79 of 242 Old 12-11-2006, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemom2 View Post
A couple of times I have had to do it very discreetly in public, but I always cover up and try to find a location out of the view of others. It's funny, because in the states I am one of those women who always NIP and dare someone to say something to me but here in Japan I try to respect their culture as much as I can so I do what they would do.
That's interesting treemom, I am usually one to behave that way in a foreign country too... maybe I got my gumption from my midwife who is so emphatically supportive of BF... because of her I braced myself for the comments and then when they were actually POSITIVE ones it gave me the guts to just keep on BF whereever I chose. Are you in an urban area? Perhaps it's here in the countryside that people are happy to see this? I've often gotten the feeling that people see me as following a "Japanese tradition" when I BF (an older tradition, seems like formula is still seen as somewhat new). Have you had any discouraging comments yourself? I must say, it was only DH who asked me to cover up once or twice, DS wouldn't stand for it so I just gave up!
#80 of 242 Old 12-11-2006, 08:24 PM

Honestly, I haven't received any negative comments about BFing here but I have heard many stories from women here (on base) who have NIP'd and been asked to leave. I'm in Sasebo which is the second biggest city in our prefecture. You are right, traditionally all Japanese women BF'd at least 2 years, it was greatly encouraged, but like many things the Americans have brought to this country formula is now "the thing" for the younger women who aren't as likely to BF because they want to be like the Americans and formula feed--it's really sad what we tend to do to countries

#81 of 242 Old 12-18-2006, 11:41 AM

I've yet to get any negative comments about NIP even when there's a nursing room in the store I don't use it unless I want a bit of a rest too. The only comments I've gotten are "oh she's so cute she's sleeping . . . (closer look) OH she's drinking!)" shop keeper and various others around town and "You should be a little more careful when you take it (your breast) out to feed" --DH. I think its more of a personal thing for him than a "don't offend the people around you" thing.

I have a feeling that the comments in like you've heard in Sasebo are related to the large number of US military people there. There seems to be more negativity to "foreigners" in general in places where the military bases are located. I doubt that a Japanese woman in the same situation would've been asked to leave. Now if she were changing her baby's diaper on the resturant table . . .(Actually saw this one happen and the lady was asked to find somewhere more appropriate--out of the resturant--to change the baby. She had BF the baby at the same place and no one thought twice about it.)

I think that a lot of the mothers with infants here feel overly modest about BF their babies though. All of the older people I've met seem to find it refreshing to see someone openly NIP. The "young mothers" feel the need to hide that they are nursing (even among other mothers).

Rhannie
#82 of 242 Old 12-23-2006, 04:53 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi, sorry for the oh-so-Western intrusion...and thread hijack...

I'm investigating taking a trip to Kyoto with our family (two children - one age 6, the other age 1) for fun, from the States.

A very basic question - has anyone here stayed at a ryokan? Would you recommend it with a toddler? Most of the ryokans seem to accept three people, but not more? Very strange or not? We need less-expensive sleep options, so any other ideas are welcome.

You can PM me or write back here. We basically need assistance with making an affordable trip plan, and tips would be so very helpful.

Also, are we insane for wanting to visit Japan with a toddler? Wait. Don't answer that.
#83 of 242 Old 12-23-2006, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspaghettimama View Post
Also, are we insane for wanting to visit Japan with a toddler? Wait. Don't answer that.
Lol! I live in Japan with a toddler. I haven't stayed in home hotels before, but I know they accomodate less people because of lack of space more than usual. There are plenty of hotels that have traditional rooms if that's what you are going for. For Valentine's Day a couple years ago my husband and I stayed at Komaki Resort here in Misawa in a traditional room. It was wonderful. I would say that if you are visiting Japan, definately go to an onsen. We leave in April and I'm pregnant until June, so no more trips down the street for me. It is a wonderful experience if you can handle a bit of nudity.

PM me if you have any questions. I have only been to Kyoto once without sightseeing, so I can't give you that information. I can though help out with general Japan questions and culture questions.

Hope your trip goes well. This is an amazing country.
#84 of 242 Old 12-24-2006, 01:49 AM

Everytime we've traveled we have stayed in ryokans with our kids, the first time was when my oldest was 3 months old and just a couple of months ago we stayed in one with my daughter (9 mo) and my son (3 years). The only problem we have had was trying to keep my daughter and son from touching and playing with the decorations in the room, since everything is at ground level. Also keeping my very active and noisy toddlar calm and talking in a "quiet voice" at night since there is no soundproofing or insulation between the rooms. Ryokans and hotels are basicly the same price (when we've looked into them), so I'd try staying in a ryokan. "Three people" probably means 3 adults, or really 3 futons (1 futon per person) so if your one year old can sleep with you on your futon you should be fine. PM me if you want any other info. We have stayed at 2 ryokans in Kyoto with my son before my daughter was born. I second the onsen suggestion! Onsens are one of my favorite things about Japan.
#85 of 242 Old 01-10-2007, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhannie View Post
I've yet to get any negative comments about NIP even when there's a nursing room in the store I don't use it unless I want a bit of a rest too. The only comments I've gotten are "oh she's so cute she's sleeping . . . (closer look) OH she's drinking!)"
I have also never received any negative comments about NIP. I usually don't go to the nursing rooms because in order to do that I usually have to get myself and my 2 kids onto an elevator and that's just a PIA! I usually just find a quiet place to sit or go to a coffee shop. I nurse in retaurants all the time. I'm sure they have no idea that I am nursing.

I don't know anyone who has stopped nursing before 12 months (except a friend who had problems at 2 months). And I know lots of women who are still nursing over 24 months.

I love that it is one of the most common questions I get. The first thing they ask is "how old is your kid". The second thing they ask is "oppai?" (are you breast feeding) When my youngest was 2 months old I even had one woman ask me if I was still nursing my 2 year old. I thought it was wonderful that she even considered there was a possibility I would be nursing both at the same time.

My point is, BFing is embraced here in japan. I love that.
#86 of 242 Old 01-10-2007, 08:26 PM

I just wanted to jump in again and say HI AGAIN. I posted nearly a year ago, but haven't really been reading much on this board since then.

My name is Rebecca. I have a 2.5 year old and a 8 month old. Right now I live in Fukuoka (kyushu). I've had both kids here. Both fantastic experiences.

We are moving to Kobe (or somewhere between Osaka and Kobe) within the next couple of months. I was wondering if there's anyone near there on this board? I am feeling a bit stressed about moving. I am quite comfortable in fukuoka - have lots of playgroups, friends with kids, and I was all set to get DD into preschool. But in our new home I have NO clue about schools, playcenters, health centers, hospitals (in case we try for #3 while we are still there). I don't really want to move

Rebecca
#87 of 242 Old 01-29-2007, 02:28 AM

Hi, Unfortuently I don't live near there, but there is a website that might help you.
www.osakamothers.com
Good Luck with your move!
#88 of 242 Old 01-31-2007, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raks View Post
Right now I live in Fukuoka (kyushu). . .
We are moving to Kobe (or somewhere between Osaka and Kobe) within the next couple of months. I was wondering if there's anyone near there on this board? I am feeling a bit stressed about moving. I am quite comfortable in fukuoka . . . I don't really want to move
I miss Fukuoka I didn't live there with kids, but I love the city anyway. I hear you though. My husband just got notified that he'll probably be transferred to Tokyo within the next couple of months and I've just gotten aclimated to being in Sendai with a baby. I don't want to move either I wish I could help you with Kobe, but I've never been there. Let us know how the move goes.

Rhannie
#89 of 242 Old 02-17-2007, 05:47 AM

Seeking Info...

Sorry to barge in...

My mother-in-law is from Okinawa (Oh the questions I have) and my college Japanese culture class (before meeting DH, oddly enough) did not prepare me for an Okinawan-military wife grandmother to be. Our relationship was good, until I decided on natural childbirth, etc. Also, I'm interested in my EDS's heritage. My father-in-law was AF. DMIL will not even disclose a recipe to me, much less talk of Okinawa or her worries. Ive found some info, just think some to be skewed or too broad. Any leads, sites, or contacts or shedding of light on any of this info would be so appreciated.

Most of my questions concern:

*Okinawan childbirth practices past & present
*Japanese/Okinawan genealogy today or in-the-works.
*Military/Air Force culture and records of WWII era.
#90 of 242 Old 03-08-2007, 03:39 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hey guys, thanks for your help. I have just a few more questions - if we were to come to Japan, would your recommend a ryokan or a hotel? We're a family of four. And (bag-over-head-smilie) I would like a TV in the room for middle of the night not sleeping children. How much do hotels cost., if we were looking budget but not skanky (think, hmm, Holiday Inn)? How would YOU go about finding one?

We are also thinking Tokyo because it's much cheaper to fly there? What do you think?

We are thinking either next year in the Spring or this Fall. We want to take some Japanese language courses first, particularly my daughter.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page