Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Anyone in Davao, I'll be there soon...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 01-23-2005, 02:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Nope, but I'm curious what is taking you to the Phillipines? All the best with the move!
#3 of 8 Old 02-08-2005, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

Well, dh and the two babes and I are going to live in the Philippines for a couple of years while I attend a missionary midwifery school! We're very excited about it. Looks like it won't be until Jan. 2006, so maybe between now and then I'll find an MDCer or someone over there to chat with.

Now I've got a year to plan this move... will I be able to get our lives down to 6 suitcases?

#4 of 8 Old 02-09-2005, 02:30 AM

I'd love to hear anything you learn about raising an american family in the Philippines. I was happy to find out that breastfeeding to age two and sleep sharing are the norm there although I'm past my breastfeeding years. Our homeschooling is my major concern since it does not seem common in the Philippines, especially since we are the unschooling type. I'm expecting a huge cultural adjustment and a lot of questions when I'm out during the day in Manila with my school-aged child. If you come across any great websites about living in the Philippines, please share!
#5 of 8 Old 03-04-2005, 01:05 PM

Welcome to the P.I. Ladies! Im american but Ive been living here for about 13 years on and off since the age of 11, which was in the 80's but Im just going to let you guess how old I am now.

I have 2 little ones and the truth is that breastfeeding is NOT common in the cities, especially Manila, so I purposely NIP because I hope it will have a positive effect on someone out there! It is true that most people cosleep tho.

Ive been working with a maternity clinic for the past several years (outside of Manila) and Ive known a few people who went to a training school in Davao so its probably the same one you are referring to.

No probs really around here with doing whatever you want in terms of homeschooling. If you arent used to being out of the USA you may find the staring hard to get used to, but Manila is quite westernized and Ive heard that Davao is also. People may ask alot of questions but its not out of judgement, just out of curiosity. And people are really so friendly here.

Im curious to know what you are doing in Manila? Im only here for a couple more months, but Id love to chat with any of you! Or if you need any help with anything let me know!

Joy
#6 of 8 Old 03-05-2005, 12:21 AM - Thread Starter

Wow, hi Joy and Swallowtail! Joy, I will probably have a lot of questions for you eventually about living over there. Keep in touch Swallowtail if the move pans out. Manila and Davao are not exactly next door, but there's always the internet and good to know people in similar situations!
#7 of 8 Old 03-28-2005, 07:15 AM

Hi everyone,

I just found this website through my e-group on kefir (a probiotic health drink similar but superior to yogurt). And was surprised to see postings from the Philippines!

How cool :LOL

I was born and spent my early years here in the PHilippines then moved to the US for 20 years, now I'm living back here in Antipolo which is about an hour away from Manila.

I was a homeschooler for several years although this year, I put my 3 kids into a regular but progressive (wholistic) school. I needed the break We have a homeschooling support group which meets regularly so let me know if you're interested in hooking up with them and I can forward your info so you can be included in their e-group and receive notices about their get togethers.

Midwifery school in Davao? Sounds wonderful. I have been trying to get out there to check out a place in an area called Bansalan where they sell dairy goats and teach how to do organic farming. It's run by American Baptist missionaries.

I'm into the natural lifestyle and have found good sources of organic stuff, etc. Would be willing to share and trade info for anyone interested.

Raising an American family here in the Philippines should not be too difficult. Philippines is probably more American than the other Southeast Asian countries. Where I live, Antipolo, there are a lot of American missionary families.

The Philiippines is a beautiful country. Though I absolutely detest Manila and its traffic and pollution. I'm always finding ways to get out of Manila and check out the mountains, beaches, islands, what have you. So if you need suggestions of places to visit (especially if you are on a budget), this is one of my favorite subjects :LOL

Cheers everyone and hope you all enjoy living here in the Philippines,

Teresa Riskin
mom to Nathan (14 yrs), Zach (12 yrs), Naomi (9 yrs) : :
#8 of 8 Old 10-04-2005, 02:42 AM

I too was born and spent my early years here in the Philippines. Nov 2003 I came back with my 2 kids. I am a divorcee, and now living with my fiance. My son who is 10yrs old goes to school at Colegio San Agustin here in Makati. Lately I have been thinking about homeschooling. The schools here are very different compare to California. Whenever my siblings from back home talks to my son and ask about his school, all he talks about is how the teachers here are mean. Actually, this week I have to have talk with one of his teachers about the way he treated my son yesterday. Anyways, like I said I am very much thinking of homeschooling. Can someone give me an idea on what should I know about homeschooling? Please I need some ones advice. I don't really know any family or have any friends around here. Thank you

jocelyn

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page