So tell me the truth - Mothering Forums

#1 of 25 Old 09-14-2005, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
do i have any chance of having a vbac in MD? I keep trying to get my mind around hbac, but I really don't think dh would go for it (he was so traumatized by our first labor experience )
Is there any hospital that will "allow" it? what about the few remaining birth centers? I know I've heard evelyn will do hbac but will she do them at the center she's working at now? is there any hope????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 25 Old 09-14-2005, 08:06 PM

there are definitely some free standing birth centers that should accept you!
i gave birth at the maternity center (www.maternitycenter.com) and although i didn't have a *great* experience there i do remember meeting a mom doing a vbac with them. (although it might have been that she was doing it at the hospital??) you can call them and ask.

In love with Dh since 1998. We created Ds (7.1.03), Dd (10.16.06) and Dd (3.16.09).
#3 of 25 Old 09-14-2005, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter

hmmm there's a thread a little way down that suggests the MC isn't such a great place. but maybe it's better than a hospital? :

#4 of 25 Old 09-14-2005, 08:53 PM

not it's not a *great* place that's why i prefaced it with i didn't have great experience but i think you have a better chance, as a second time mom (they have more respect for that) rather than at a hospital. just a thought. there are other birth centers too!

In love with Dh since 1998. We created Ds (7.1.03), Dd (10.16.06) and Dd (3.16.09).
#5 of 25 Old 09-14-2005, 10:28 PM

You sure do have a chance! The midwives at Special Beginnings will do a VBAC, although it has to be done in the hospital. I also believe that the Bay Area midwives will do a hospital VBAC. My backup doula was just at a VBAC birth last week at AAMC. So it CAN happen!

Noelia- mama to 4
#6 of 25 Old 09-14-2005, 11:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The Maternity Center won't do VBACs at the birth center, only at Shady Grove hospital, which I would not recommend at all.
#7 of 25 Old 09-15-2005, 01:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noelia430
You sure do have a chance! The midwives at Special Beginnings will do a VBAC, although it has to be done in the hospital. I also believe that the Bay Area midwives will do a hospital VBAC. My backup doula was just at a VBAC birth last week at AAMC. So it CAN happen!
Yes, I agree about Special Beginnings. Last year at AAMC right after I had DD and was still in the hospital, David and Joanne were stopping in to check on me and one of them said they had just been at a successful VBAC upstairs.
#8 of 25 Old 09-15-2005, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter

do either bay area or special beginnings do routine gyno care?
#9 of 25 Old 09-15-2005, 09:48 AM

Both places do well women care, as well as maternity.
I love SB. Just had #3 there on Monday. It's a fantastic place to go for prenatal care and they are very open to working *with* you in your choices.
Good luck!
Suzy

mama to 4 boys, 2 kitties and 42 chickens
#10 of 25 Old 09-15-2005, 10:18 AM

Are you in Baltimore or more toward DC?

#11 of 25 Old 09-15-2005, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

just west of balt.
#12 of 25 Old 09-15-2005, 12:14 PM

Well, Evelyn does do VBACs and she does do hospitals sometimes. I am sure someone who has used her will pop in here and tell you what is up with that.
And there is Kathy Slone who delivers at St. Agnes in Catonsville or Mercy downtown.

#13 of 25 Old 09-20-2005, 06:42 PM

My understanding is that most of the large hospitals around here do VBACs. If the hospital has 24 hour anathesiology (sp?) and OR facilities, I think they can do VBACs. It depends on your OB though. Plus if your OB is VBAC friendly but becomes unavailable for the birth and you end up with some fill in OB who is not VBAC friendly, you might end up with a c/s. I know a friend whose OB at the Mercy had planned a repeat c/s for her, yet this OB wasn't available when she went into labor. Lucky for her she ended up with a VBAC friendly OB who encouraged her to VBAC which she did successfully. You're kinda at the mercy of whichever OB is on call sometimes.

Another issue with hospital VBACs is they generally insist on extra monitoring for VBACs - I mean epidural in place, the fetal scalp monitor (which entails breaking your water)... It can be hard to work around these things but it's possible.

No birth center around here does VBACs at the birth centers. I think the one in Alexandria might consider you if you've had a c/s then a VBAC and it's your 2nd VBAC - in that case you're 'proven' you're capable of having a vaginal birth. As far as I understand, they stopped doing them because they can't get malpractice insurance. CNMs also have trouble getting malpractice insurance. It totally pisses me off that our medical care is dictated to us by lawyers.

Since being in a hospital is what caused my c/s in the first place, I'm not willing to try a hospital VBAC. Thank God for Evelyn, I'm planning a HBAC. As far as I know she doesn't have a birth center to do them in.
#14 of 25 Old 09-21-2005, 02:23 AM

I had a VBAC at Holy Cross hospital in Silver Spring without any problems 18 months ago.
#15 of 25 Old 09-22-2005, 11:11 AM

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Nope, no birth centers in the area that do VBACs. I would totally recommend Evelyn and a HBAC. I'm planning one with her any time now. She is fantastic. Go meet her- you'll love her!
#16 of 25 Old 09-23-2005, 12:11 AM - Thread Starter

is evelyn the same one who used to work at balt birth center? if so i know her.

Honestly, I would like a homebirth in a lot of ways. 1) my husband was traumatized by the birth of DS1, and I'm not sure I could get him on board. He was already less that stellar in the birth partner arena.... I dunno. but also 2) I'm scared. My body failed me the first time. Maybe given more time it would have eventually came through, but it gave me clear signals that it was ready for me to push, I did so for 4 hours, and DS's head never breached past my cervix. Maybe my pushing muscles are just defective. Maybe my cervix is extra sensitive to having a head pushing against it. maybe... I dunno..... I wish I could try again at a center but I know that won't happen around here. It really sucks that our options are so limited. I'm not even pregnant yet, and there is a part of me that worries that maybe I shouldn't get pregnant

Thanks for all your input. I really appreciate your positive attitudes
#17 of 25 Old 10-02-2005, 11:26 PM

I had my HBAC with Evelyn a few weeks ago, and couldn't be happier. Our first visit was a 'get to know you' and Q&A session with DH and I...she answered all of our questions & concerns. Maybe something like that would be helpful in deciding how you'd like to deliver? She also teaches hypnobirthing, though I didn't use that option myself. Hope you find the best place for you to birth your baby!
#18 of 25 Old 10-03-2005, 04:26 AM

I had a very sucessful VBAC at AAMC. I know it's a hospital but they were very caring of my wants and needs. I had say in everything.... except they wanted me to wear a hospital gown and IV incase i ended up in the OR. you're child is with you the whole time. no nursery. they treated me like i was ina really helpful friendly hotel.
never tried to give me pit or epi or meds unless i asked.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#19 of 25 Old 10-10-2005, 01:10 AM

I had a VBAC at Shady Grove. Overall, it was an okay experience. It helped that my labor went really quickly. When they checked me when I got there I was already 8 cent. The nurses I had in the labor room were good and I had a doula.
#20 of 25 Old 10-10-2005, 01:29 AM

Er, have you thought of coming to one of our ICAN (International Cesarean Awareness Network) meetings? Second Thursday of every month at 6:30 p.m. I keep a resource file of VBAC friendly practitioners. The national website is www.ican-online.org

I can be reached (and can email you Maryland hospital cesarean stats) at [email protected]

Just as a brief summary, two hospitals in Maryland ban VBACs (Frederick Memorial and Memorial Hospital at Easton). Others, don't OFFICIALLY ban but it is getting harder to get one there: GBMC, AA Medical, St. Jo's, and perhaps Howard County (haven't been able to nail the info on them yet though I think I heard we just lost the other midwifery group that births there).

The favorite hospital amongst the doulas for supporting normal birth is Upper Chesapeake in Bel Air.

No birthing center in Maryland does VBACs at the birthing center.

Kathy Slone does VBACs at Mercy and St. Agnes but don't count on laboring or birthing in water unless a favorable back up OB is on call. Also, I have to gripe about midwives estimating pelvis size and telling women what size baby they are capable of passing. A very archaic practice. What all birthing women, especially VBACers need to hear is "YOU CAN DO THIS!"

Beware of the 37th week back peddle. That is, you are told "Yes yes yes yes you can VBAC" throughout your pregnancy then at 37(ish) weeks when you are very resistant to change, your caregiver starts finding (sometimes bizare) reasons you simply MUST have a cesarean. Happens time and time again.

By the way, I see very little difference between birthing at a birthing center and birthing at home if you don't live miles and miles away from a hospital. Do your own research though and see what you think. (douula speaking, not ICANer)

-Barbara
Doula and chapter leader
#21 of 25 Old 10-10-2005, 11:11 AM

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
I also just had a VBAC at home with Evelyn(the 1st of Oct.)
It went fabulous and I can't recommend her enough. I felt it was my only option of getting the vaginal birth I wanted. I was a bit scared to have a homebirth but again, there weren't any other good options. And I refused to let them cut me again.

Please at least go see her!!
#22 of 25 Old 10-10-2005, 07:56 PM

Can't help at all with your specific concern, but thought I'd throw in another Evelyn recommendation. She was my midwife at my son's birth 3 years ago at at the Baltimore Birth Center. I can still hear her words of encouragement. She is simply the best. Good luck with whatever you decide!
#23 of 25 Old 11-18-2005, 09:55 PM

I teach Bradley classes here in Annapolis (for 6 1/2 years) and whatever you do, do not go to Bay Area Birth Center!! Out of 14 of my students who have gone to them, only 2 have gotten to use their birth center--all the rest were transfers and c-sections. I have a 65% c-section rate with them!!! That is absurd for a birth center.

I would highly recommend a homebirth with a trained, skilled midwife. The midwife I used for my homebirth is very experienced with VBACs and I would trust her with my life in a heartbeat (and my kids' too!). Let me know if you want her info. She would be more than happy to come to your house and meet with you so you can ask her lots of questions. I know that my hubby was very unsure about our homebirth until she came and he got to "grill" her
#24 of 25 Old 11-19-2005, 08:49 PM

Just for the record I had a VBAC at Garrett County Memorial Hospital in 2001. Dr. Pope (now retired) was my doctor.

I read that there was a problem with insurance and family practitioners delivering babies. I don't know how it was resolved.

From what I've heard doctors at Memorial Hospital in Cumberland will tell you that you can have a VBAC but your chances would be very slim.

I don't know what I'll do if I have another baby. Maybe I'll have to have a HBAC with Evelyn
#25 of 25 Old 11-20-2005, 12:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Washington County Hospital in Hagerstown will allow vbacs. The OB practice I go to are pretty vbac friendly. Super nice group of 4 obs. There is another practice that has midwives that will also do vbacs. I have a girlfriend who is going to them now ( 1st baby 9lb12oz csection) they are going for the vbac. Email me if you would like the names of my obs. I can give you several other mdc mommas who will highly recommend them also.

Jeana Christian momma to 4 sons Logan 18, Connor 15, Nathan 6, and bonus baby Jack 1

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page