Talk to me about Puget Sound Birth Center - Mothering Forums

#1 of 12 Old 09-10-2006, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've looked into the midwives there and I'm wondering if anyone has some experience with them. I think we would be looking at a birth center birth vs. a home birth since dp worries too much about the risks of home birth and I worry about the risks of hospital birth. A birth center would seem the ultimate compromise.

Who do you like? Why? Did you have a birth at the facility or at home? Thanks for letting me know what you think!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 09-10-2006, 11:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I could probably type an essay on why I love my midwives from PSBC. With DD#1 Traci, Heike and Ali all were a team. I equally liked each of them. Traci ended up being the mw at my birth, but I chose to be transferred to the hospital because I was just far too exhausted (it was a VERY long labor).

This time, with DD#2, I lived pretty far away and didn't want to make that long drive to the birth center for my appts OR the birth. I actually tried really hard to find other midwives I liked, but I couldn't. I went with them even though my driving time is almost an hour each way and I had a toddler to bring with me. This time Heike and Traci were my midwives. They always take the time to answer all of my questions and honestly cared about me as a person, not just a client. Through both pregnancies/deliveries I went through lots of personal crap and they were amazingly supportive. In two pregnancies, I never once dealt with any flakiness or having appts re-scheduled or anything. I've also really, really liked the students they worked with both times.

I chose to have a homebirth with #2 for many reasons. I think you probably already know this, but having a birth center birth is no more safe than a home birth, they have all the same equipment at homebirths. The only way you would be safer, IMO, is if the birth center is much closer to a hospital than your home is and you're worried about a transfer. My homebirth was SO hard but SOOOOO amazing. Heike attended my birth this time and she and the two students were just perfect.

I would be happy to answer any more specific questions that you've got! I couldn't recommend H&T highly enough, although having already worked with Ali, as well, I am sure she and the mw she works with are amazing, as well.
#3 of 12 Old 09-10-2006, 11:16 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I used them for my first two births and they were wonderful. Ali delivered my first baby and Heike my second. They are amazingly informative and respectful. I saw Traci while she was a student midwife and she was great as well. The rooms are so cozy; it kind of felt like a hotel to me!

Bethany, crunchy Christian mom to Destiny (11) Deanna (9), and Ethan (2)

#4 of 12 Old 09-10-2006, 11:41 PM

We've been working with Val and Ali and absolutely adore both of them. We had a long home birth ending in a hospital transfer with Ali attending and she was amazing - stayed by my side for 24 hours and then came to the hospital with us.

We also really liked both of the student midwives.

Erin
#5 of 12 Old 09-11-2006, 01:08 AM

I absolutely adore Heike and Traci! Heike attended Destiny's birth in '05 and she was amazing (Traci was there for my first false alarm with Des ~ silly girl faked me out 3 times!!) And we're going with them again for this one. They are always helpful and listen and always ask about my family and our business (we were just starting up when Des was born). It's like visiting with a good friend, so comfortable! I'd definately suggest the PSBC :
#6 of 12 Old 09-11-2006, 02:14 AM

I had my son at PSBC in december of 04. I went with Heike and Traci and just adore them. I had preterm labor with him, and Traci went out of her way to visit me in the hospital. She spent time with me, and brought me some yummy food and good magazines to read. They both feel like friends rather then midwives. My son was born on time, and we had him at the birth center. Traci was there, along with a student (Karen - who I have tried to stay in touch with since she has now graduated). It was a wonderful and peaceful waterbirth.
I'm pregnant currently, and we have started seeing Heike and Traci again. I'd recommend them to anyone, as they are truly what I believe a midwife should be.

I want to add that I have heard great things about Valeries team as well, and had a good friend that birthed with them.
#7 of 12 Old 09-15-2006, 06:49 PM

I am late on this thread, but I just wanted to say I love Hieke and Tracy (and Ali too, even though she moved over to the other side of the practice)! I had Tracy for my 3rd, I hemorrhaged afterwards (this was at the birth center), totally not their fault, baby had an uber short cord and it ripped the placenta on her way out. They handled it wonderfully and were great advocates at the hospital which was awful to me.
Hieke delivered my 4th the day after last years picnic We had a homebirth with her. They almost didnt make it, but the 7 minutes that she was there while I was pushing were great!! lol It was the most wonderful, peaceful birth for me. I had a hard, fast (less than 3 hours from the time my water broke with no contrax to her birth) labor, but once it was over, they just let me enjoy my babe. I think they stayed like an hour after and they said goodnight and left me and Pai to sleep the rest of the night away together. I wont be having anything but homebirths after this, unless I have a good medical reason not to!
I am trying to concieve my second surrogate baby-a sibling for my first-and will be going back to them!
PS One of my favorite things is that they respect you enough to trust you to be able to do some of your own prenatal testing, like the pee sticks and you dont have to be weighed if you dont want to. They also never had a problem with me not doing the GD test, the triple screen, etc.

Cari-mama to Eriq, Lile, Paikea, Kaidyn, and Mieke is here!! 2/9/10
#8 of 12 Old 09-16-2006, 02:45 AM

I see Ali and Val. So far I love it there. We are planning a Homebirth, but the rooms at the clinic are very inviting and the tubs look wonderful. (i don't want to be in the car during labour, nor have to get back into the car after labour with new baby and all our stuff, and then unpack when we get home.)

Because I haven't given birth yet, I can't answer for how my birth went, but overall, so far, I highly recommend them and I also bring friends and family to my appointments so that I can try and subtly bring people over to the 'dark' side. hee hee hee

So far, I haven't had to weigh myself if I don't want to, I'm asked if it is okay before they even put their hands on me to do any tests (feel baby, blood pressure etc.) I have the responsiblity of peeing on the stick and reporting those results, and they ask if they can use a doppler - a fetascope??? what is the other tool?- is available if I don't wish the use of doppler.

come december I'll be able to report more on the birth -obviously-
oh... I like the student midwife as well.
#9 of 12 Old 09-16-2006, 05:11 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much for the replies! We just found out we are expecting in May 07 and I'd heard good things about PSBC prior to becoming pregnant and wanted more info. I'd love a homebirth, but dp has reservations, and I'd rather be respectful of that than just say, "it's my body, so deal with it." Although, it is, and he is super supportive, I have no complaints and I don't mind the compromise at all.

The feedback really helps us out. Do you think Kirkland is too far from Renton to travel if I'm in labor? Kind of a funny question since each labor is different, but would you be comfortable with that?
#10 of 12 Old 09-16-2006, 03:36 PM

Before the birth of my last baby I would have said no, but....lol. I think as long as you leave as soon as you think you are in labor and/or you use the carpool lane, you shouldnt have a problem. I think it usually takes me about 20 minutes from Renton to get to that area. I will admit it was partially my fault that they almost didnt make it. I was so used to my labors being longer that I waited to call and then she came so fast....that and I was trying to let Hieke sleep as long as possible (she decided to come at 2:30 in the morning ). Anywho, no, I dont think thats too far.
PS-let me know if you want a free doula! I love helping at births!

Cari-mama to Eriq, Lile, Paikea, Kaidyn, and Mieke is here!! 2/9/10
#11 of 12 Old 09-16-2006, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesmama
Thank you so much for the replies! We just found out we are expecting in May 07 and I'd heard good things about PSBC prior to becoming pregnant and wanted more info. I'd love a homebirth, but dp has reservations, and I'd rather be respectful of that than just say, "it's my body, so deal with it." Although, it is, and he is super supportive, I have no complaints and I don't mind the compromise at all.

The feedback really helps us out. Do you think Kirkland is too far from Renton to travel if I'm in labor? Kind of a funny question since each labor is different, but would you be comfortable with that?
If you leave early enough, then no, I wouldn't say its to far.

I labored in the car at 7 cm's for about 35 minutes and did okay, although I wouldn't want to do it again. We had some errands to run before going to the birth center.

Congrats on your pregnancy!
#12 of 12 Old 09-16-2006, 05:58 PM

You might want to ask your midwife what the difference is between a homebirth and a birthcenter birth. I don't know if that would help alleviate some of DH fears, but they usually say the only difference is location. They bring everything to your house that they have at the BC. Someone posted somewhere on the boards that her DH likened having a BC birth as to packing up and going to someone elses' house to have a baby.

Don't know if that would scare or reassure your DH.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page