Meeting for Rules for LMW Attended birth TODAY-KEEP RULES CLOSED-Email/call Yvonne - Mothering Forums

#1 of 14 Old 11-05-2006, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Dear Birth Consumers,

This letter is to notify you of a public meeting November 13, 2006 in Austin to discuss opening the rules concerning births attended by licensed midwives. http://www.dshs.state.tx.us/midwife/mw_ag18.doc It is extremely important for homebirth consumers to attend this meeting. If you are not able to attend the meeting, it is very important to communicate your opinions on the rules. Several local midwives met last week and discussed the pros and cons and those that met agreed that it would be in the best interested of the home birth community to request that the rules stay closed and kept as they are. Please ask your midwife if you have questions.

Your rights as intelligent, caring mothers are at risk if the rules are opened. The doctors have made the rules process very difficult in the past. By altering the rules already in place, the doctors will be effectively taking away your more of your rights to choose the circumstances of your birth. They are already complaining and throwing threats about grandmultips (mothers that have given birth over 4 times), breech births, multiples and VBACs and want to make those births illegal for licensed midwives to attend. If you have an opinion about retaining the right to decide where and with whom you deliver your babies, then you need to attend this meeting!

If the rules are opened, you will have the opportunity/responsibility to comment on them in the Texas Register. Each comment is considered by the Board before voting new rules into ‘law’. The rules are just as enforceable as the law; therefore, this is an opportunity to further regulate women’s choices through regulating their midwives. Rules only have to go through a committee unlike laws that have to go through the House, Senate and Governor.

Please notify the midwifery program director of your wish to be included as a public stakeholder. CONTACT: Yvonne Feinleib, Midwifery Program Director, 512/834-4523, fax 512/834-6677, email [email protected]

Freedom in birth, Stacy Lewis, CPM

SAAMA Public Relations Representative

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 11-06-2006, 01:44 AM

That is really scary. What can we do if we can't make it to Austin?
#3 of 14 Old 11-06-2006, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaverdi View Post
That is really scary. What can we do if we can't make it to Austin?
I probably won't make it either due to #1- no $ to feed a truck, #2- toddler and an infant, and #3- have to see the VA counselor that morning to register for school; though if I had the money for gas I'd work on the other two also.

Anyway, you can notify the midwifery program director of your wish to be included as a public stakeholder. CONTACT: Yvonne Feinleib, Midwifery Program Director, 512/834-4523, fax 512/834-6677, email [email protected] .(I plan on sending an e-mail and calling)

If we could only eliminate the OB position on the midwifery board - sigh. I really hope I can make the next meeting.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."

#4 of 14 Old 11-06-2006, 04:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
What does it mean to be a public stakeholder?
#5 of 14 Old 11-06-2006, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
What does it mean to be a public stakeholder?
I would say 'a member of the public who may be affected by a decision'.

http://www.answers.com/stakeholder&r=67

#6 of 14 Old 11-08-2006, 01:48 PM
Banned

In expressing my desire to be included as a stakeholder via email, do I need to let her know my opinions? Am I signing up to express my opinions at the meeting? I think that's what the pp was asking about what it means to be a public stakeholder.

I am in Austin, and as a c-sec mother, HBAC is a big issue for me. I don't know if I can take the day to make this meeting (I WOH), but am seriously considering it.

Barring that, what else can I do?
#7 of 14 Old 11-08-2006, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybelle View Post
In expressing my desire to be included as a stakeholder via email, do I need to let her know my opinions? Am I signing up to express my opinions at the meeting? I think that's what the pp was asking about what it means to be a public stakeholder.

I am in Austin, and as a c-sec mother, HBAC is a big issue for me. I don't know if I can take the day to make this meeting (I WOH), but am seriously considering it.

Barring that, what else can I do?
I would say that calling Yvonne is only about expressing your opinion; as far as I know there is no sign-up to speak. I don't know much outside the notice myself. Stacey wrote in the notice to contact your mw with questions but if you don't have one or she doesn't have any info I could pm you her email address.

Even if you have not, cannot, or will not be using a midwife you should speak up for the right of every woman to choose where and with whom they birth.

#8 of 14 Old 11-13-2006, 01:20 AM

Stacy, can you ellaborate on one thing.

You said:

They are already complaining and throwing threats about grandmultips (mothers that have given birth over 4 times), breech births, multiples and VBACs and want to make those births illegal for licensed midwives to attend.

That scares me, I'm on #4 now. Are you saying that if they get their way that I would all but be forced to go to a hospital next time?
#9 of 14 Old 11-13-2006, 04:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltf View Post
Stacy, can you ellaborate on one thing.

You said:

They are already complaining and throwing threats about grandmultips (mothers that have given birth over 4 times), breech births, multiples and VBACs and want to make those births illegal for licensed midwives to attend.

That scares me, I'm on #4 now. Are you saying that if they get their way that I would all but be forced to go to a hospital next time?
I'm not Stacey (she's my midwife and the op is from her e-mail) but from what I remember midwives have been booted out of every hospital in Austin and doctors will NOT back up midwives there, and it seems that they want to extend this policy everywhere in the state. Doctors are trying to regulate midwives out of existance. Until we can barr doctors from the state midwifery board it will be a constant fight to keep midwives current "privileges" in place. Even then we will still have to be vigilant.

#10 of 14 Old 11-13-2006, 04:12 AM

Could someone explain this more? What does it mean to "open" the rules (sorry-late and feeling brain-dead)

The way I understand it now is that some things are discouraged (twins, breech etc) This change could (or would?) make those illegal?

What exactly should we send her? Just a short note saying- keep the rules closed?

thanks!

-Angela
#11 of 14 Old 11-13-2006, 04:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
Could someone explain this more? What does it mean to "open" the rules (sorry-late and feeling brain-dead)

The way I understand it now is that some things are discouraged (twins, breech etc) This change could (or would?) make those illegal?

What exactly should we send her? Just a short note saying- keep the rules closed?

thanks!

-Angela
Yes, to "open" the rules means that changes could be made. These rules have the force of law, so if a rule was included that disallowed a LM to attend breech births, then it would be illegal.

These seem to be the only restrictions at this point:
Quote:
As prescribed by Texas law, the licensed midwife:

* Assists only in normal childbirth
* Does not perform Caesarean sections;
* Does not use forceps or surgical instruments for any procedure other than cutting the umbilical cord or providing emergency first aid during delivery;
* Does not perform an episiotomy;
* Does not remove the placenta by invasive techniques;
* Does not advance or retard labor or delivery by using medicines or mechanical devices;
* Does not assist at childbirth other than normal childbirth except in an emergency situation that poses an immediate threat to the life of the mother or newborn;
* Does not administer a prescription drug except as an agent of a physician licensed by the State of Texas (other than eye prophylaxis for the newborn and oxygen in accordance with board rules).

and this is what "normal" means:
Quote:
"Normal" means, as applied to pregnancy, labor,
delivery, the postpartum period, and the newborn period, and as
defined by midwifery board rule, circumstances under which a
midwife has determined that a client is at a low risk of developing
complications.

I just wrote this ; I hope I didn't embarass myself .

Quote:
Please keep the rules concerning births attended by licensed midwives closed. My rights as an intelligent caring mother are at risk if the rules are opened. Opening the rules would allow doctors to place further restrictions on my right to choose the circumstance in which I birth, by regulating midwives out of existence.

I am not in need of the "protection" of doctors who are in professional competiton with my midwife. Considering the proven risks of iatrogenic complications in low risk mothers' births vs midwife attended homebirths, it is fustrating and scary that those who put women most at risk by interfering with the natural process of birth (doctors), could prevent me from having attendents that lessen that risk (licensed midwives). If doctors really had the best intrest of women at heart they would collaborate with midwives instead of blackmailing their colleagues to withdraw their support as midwife back-ups, as happend to my OB back-up when I was in my third trimester with my second pregnancy (a midwife attended homebirth).

Every day I communicate with women who have to try to locate an "underground" midwife because the practice of non-nurse midwifery is illegal in their state. The contortions those women must go through simply to have a skilled attendent at their homebirth and the threat of prosecution their midwives work under, is an injustice. The women of Texas will also be delt an injustice if the rules concerning births attended by licensed midwives are opened, and those who oppose the free practice of midwifery are allowed to make further restrictions on our right to choose the circumstances in which we birth. Please keep the rules concerning births attended by licensed midwives closed.

#12 of 14 Old 11-13-2006, 05:02 AM

Well, I emailed her. I'm not sure how much good it will do. It's always the same old thing. Over. and over. and over. again.
#13 of 14 Old 11-13-2006, 01:56 PM

It's late, but I will send an email too. If it's like everything else the meeting will be delayed anyway

-Angela
#14 of 14 Old 11-14-2006, 01:11 AM

IMKM, do you know what happened?

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page