What to do near Pittsfield, MA (within 2-3 hrs)? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 10 Old 05-07-2007, 11:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Dh and I and our two littlest will be vacationing for a couple of weeks in the Berkshires with my FIL and his wife. We are thinking about leaving the kids for one night so we can get away alone but want to stay within 2-3 hrs just in case something happens and we need to come back. We've done all there is to do in the Berkshires, since dh grew up there and we go alot, so what do you recommend as a quick easy to get to overnight trip for just the two of us?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 05-08-2007, 06:08 PM

Well, if you're willing to travel 2-3 hours, you could be in Boston! I had a job in college where I had to drive back and forth between Lenox (10-15 min. south of Pittsfield) and it never took over three hours. Usually between 2 and 2 and a half. If you're up for that then, well, there's a lot to do!
#3 of 10 Old 05-08-2007, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter

That is a great suggestion but I forgot to say we don't really want to do Boston. We want relaxing, leasurely, nature, good restaurants, etc. Boston is great but busy and we don't want busy. I'd be happy lounging on a porch somewhere with a great view, then going to dinner someplace fabulous and maybe enjoying some nice acoustic folk music someplace. That's my ideal night away from the kids, lol!

#4 of 10 Old 05-08-2007, 09:53 PM

There are alot of fun little towns in Vermont to explore. Manchester is great for shopping. Brattleboro is a cool little Hippie kind of town.
#5 of 10 Old 05-08-2007, 11:23 PM

Jacob's Pillow has got to be less than an hour from Pittsfield, and it's supposed to be lovely - outdoor modern dance, with free family-friendly lawn watching of the student dancers, or you can buy tix to see well-respected shows there.

Tanglewood is also close to you, this is the summer home of the Boston Symphony Orchestra, with a wide variety of musical performances.

Stockbridge contains the Norman Rockwell Museum.

There are lots of great small county fairs out there, full of craftsy booths and animal shows.

Northampton may be closest concentration of restaurants.
Mt Greylock is beautiful.

there's a fabulous butterfly conservatory in South Deerfield called Magic Wings.

There's a lot of history out there, too - old South Deerfield is remarkable.

full time student, crunchy wife to my woodsy man, and mom to 2 homebirthed, cloth diapered, tandem breastfed kiddos. 
#6 of 10 Old 05-08-2007, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathywiehl View Post
We've done all there is to do in the Berkshires, since dh grew up there and we go alot, so what do you recommend as a quick easy to get to overnight trip for just the two of us?
Visit me! j/k

I'm assuming you've "done" all the stuff wobit mentioned.

Anyway, how about Woodstock, NY?
DH and I like going there once or twice during the summer. Little shops and stuff. Also, you can go tubing in the Esophus Creek in nearbvy Phoenicia if you are up for that sort of adventure. (We love it!) Town Tinker Tube Rental

Or, you could go down the the CT/RI shore and go to the Beach. Mystic, CT is also nice. But that might be more of a place you want to take the kids, since there are cool boats to visit and an aquarium and stuff.

ETA- Oh! What about driving up to Lake George. Nice and relaxed. And they have outdoor summer folk music. Plus you could do an evening boat cruise or something. They normally have dancing and can be romantic.
#7 of 10 Old 05-09-2007, 12:57 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, we have done most of what Wobit mentioned and since we will be there a full two weeks we will do everything at least once more while we are there. I'm so bummed that The Cars will play Tanglewood on the 4th! My FIL volunteers there and we get in free every time we go. We saw a couple of great concerts there- John Williams with the Boston Symphony Orchestra and Josh Grobin. I was hoping James Taylor would be playing there this year since that was dh's first concert (JT at Tanglewood) when he was just a baby but oh well.

We also like to go to The Lion's Den in Stockbridge when we are there. I think Thursday nights is when my dh went during high school.

We used to live in Allentown, PA, only a 4 hour drive from Pittsfield so we used to go lots but not much since we moved south.

Is anyone here from Pittsfield? I wouldn't be surprised if someone here knew my dh. He graduated in '93 from PHS.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions, keep 'em coming! I'm looking into everything!
#8 of 10 Old 05-09-2007, 12:03 PM

JT is playing in August...I wish I had suggestions but everyone else got to them first.
#9 of 10 Old 05-09-2007, 12:09 PM

There is an Eric Carle Museum in Amherst, good restaurants in Amherst and Northampton.

Look Park in Northampton also fun for kids - mini-golf, bumper boats, and a sprinkler area in addition to the play structures.

Downtown Northampton has a lot of nice stores. If you are into crafts, go to Web's Yarns or Valley Fabrics.
#10 of 10 Old 05-10-2007, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livviesmom0207 View Post
JT is playing in August...I wish I had suggestions but everyone else got to them first.
Wahhh!!! Two years ago he was playing on the 4th but my son was only 3 weeks old and since we are a 15 hour drive at least it just wasn't happening. My dh has mandatory vacation the week of the 4th, or we'd come another time. I love Tanglewood!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page