Brooklyn Birthing center and other places to birth in Brklyn. - Mothering Forums

#1 of 21 Old 06-10-2007, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone have a baby at http://www.brooklynbirthingcenter.com/home ??

Where did you have your baby, if you live in brooklyn? besides at home.

Thanks for answering.

Mom of 5 boys- 13, 10, 8, 2 : and newbie Aug. 24th, '09 . babywearing advocate . Cook, baker, homemaker, wife to a man with another woman's kidney (live altruistic, unknown donor).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 21 Old 06-11-2007, 03:46 AM - Thread Starter

anyone?

Mom of 5 boys- 13, 10, 8, 2 : and newbie Aug. 24th, '09 . babywearing advocate . Cook, baker, homemaker, wife to a man with another woman's kidney (live altruistic, unknown donor).
#3 of 21 Old 06-11-2007, 03:53 AM

I'm pretty sure it's new and that's why you haven't gotten any responses. If I'm not mistaken, when Elizabeth Seaton closed, NYC was left without a freestanding birth center and this one is new. (and maybe change the title to Brooklyn BC to see if you get more replies?)

#4 of 21 Old 06-11-2007, 05:50 AM

My cousin had her son there in 2002 and it was beautiful. The midwife was great.
#5 of 21 Old 06-11-2007, 10:55 AM

I don't live in bklyn anymore, but I had my first at NY Methodist in Park Slope. I would stay far away from there, unless you've heard that things have changed VERY drastically in the last couple of years. I was on a local parenting email group and pretty much all of us HATED our experiences there.
#6 of 21 Old 06-11-2007, 12:37 PM

I have really mixed feeling about the BBC- I was with them for my first dd in 2005. I ended up transferring out into Maimonodies, and I have a pretty intense story of my experience there. My 2nd dd was born peacefully at home- no car rides!
#7 of 21 Old 06-12-2007, 05:40 PM

If you can be 100% certain that everything will go perfectly with your birth, then the Brooklyn Birth Center is okay. But I think that they try a little too hard to risk people out at the very last moment - the center is owned and overseen by doctors after all, so what might be just something to keep an eye on for an experienced homebirth midwife turns into a required hospital birth for the BBC. The big issue is that if you are with them and have a problem, you will most likely end up at Maimonodies, a truly horrible place for a newborn to start its life, and unsanitary to boot.
#8 of 21 Old 06-12-2007, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter

So, does anyone have any GOOD suggestions of places to birth in Brooklyn? ANYTHING positive? Home is not an option. We will be "homeless", staying with others.
This is stressing me.

#9 of 21 Old 06-12-2007, 08:07 PM

Hi-
Well I guess the BBC is the best thing in Brooklyn besides home. My suggestions would be to prepare yourself well- and hire a doula. If you don't have the xtra $$ you can find a doula who is still training or with less experience.
Oh ya know- There is also LICH Long Island College Hospital- They closed there birthing center but apparently you can rent a birthing center room after the birth for $500.00 a day I've heard there nice and there is no restrictions of who can be in there with you.
Catherine Clark is Bluebird Midwifery- I think she has a web site- She's great and she works with LICH- She was our midwife until 30 weeks w/ dd #2- it's only her and she only takes I believe 4 births a month. We loved her and had a hard time leaving her care even though when it came down to it I wasn't going back to the hospital- she even offered to come to our homebirth if we wanted and she was available! She conducts her hospital practice with a homebirth structure.
Hope this helps!
Erykah
#10 of 21 Old 06-13-2007, 04:25 PM

Obey the urbangoddess. She knows all.
#11 of 21 Old 06-13-2007, 04:33 PM

I posted in your thread on Birth and Beyond. You might want to call Joan Bryson (718) 788 0595 and see if she will do a planned hospital birth with you- she has privileges at LICH and St. Vincent's (preferable) and does planned hospital births on occassion (her website is http:///www.communitymidwifery.com). Our planned hospital birth with her at St. Vincent's was amazing and very gentle. She was with us the entire time and the nurses completely deferred to her and my wishes. Good luck!
#12 of 21 Old 06-13-2007, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiePie View Post
Obey the urbangoddess. She knows all.
Oh- You made me blush-

Anyhow- back to the BBC I found 3 really positive reviews of it from the Park Slope Parents website and they bring up some good points. I hope it's okay to paste them in here- theres no names...
Also...
I think Yamilee makes a great point if you are really grounded, confidant and healthy in your upcoming birth- it's a cute- warm and cozy place to have a baby.. It really is the Maimonodies thing with them, that place stinks!
Let us know what you decide and try not to stress too much you'll find whats right for you.
Be Well

Author: PSP ArchivesDate: 2007-02-23 14:01:27
I was astounded that they unquestioningly take all insurance and offered financial advice. They truly have a commitment to making sure all women have access to non-hospital births. I was impressed by the way she [Kathy Abelson] prepared us for childbirth, and I was bowled over by her attention and caring during labor. She came to our house and held my hand in the back of the car as my husband drove to the center. She was incredibly responsive to whatever encouragement I needed, even when I didn't know I needed it. The center was downright comfy. After the birth we napped then sat around with some loved ones enjoying our breakfast. We were home that afternoon. Over the next couple of days she made a couple of housecalls to see how we were all doing.

Author: PSP ArchivesDate: 2007-02-23 14:01:11
We had a fantastic experience with Katherine Abelson. The midwives are wonderful. They really spend time with you at each appointment. You can ask questions, chat about your philosophies and what you want in labor. I was almost 2 wks overdue and they worked with me to help decide how I wanted to go about inducing the baby. I really can't thank them enough or say enough good things about them.

Author: PSP ArchivesDate: 2007-02-23 14:00:54
The midwives at the Brooklyn Birthing Center are wonderful. The environment is homey and child friendly if you need to bring children to your appointment time. Also, you rarely wait long. They accept lots of insurances.
#13 of 21 Old 06-13-2007, 09:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Let us know what you decide and try not to stress too much you'll find whats right for you.
Thanks UG, if you search my recent posts though I think you will see why my stress at this whole situation is every bit justified. Unfortunately.

#14 of 21 Old 07-09-2007, 07:59 PM

Can you call local HB midwives and see if they will let you birth at their house? Like Joan Bryson? Best of luck!!!!!!!!!!!!
#15 of 21 Old 07-09-2007, 09:23 PM

I gave birth at LICH using Clementine Midwifery. They were great and LICH was totally fine. You can have a midwife birth in one of their normal l&d rooms, and it's really fine... mine had no hot tub, but honestly, labor's intense enough that I didn't really think that mattered. I was free to walk around, eat, take showers, etc.

The nurses on the LICH maternity ward may not be the most progressive in the universe (I got a lecture about formula), but their LC is excellent and in general, the entire experience was really pretty great, considering it was also excruitiatingly painful and stuff.

My advice would be to spring for the private room though, if you can afford it. It is cheaper than most private rooms at the other city hospitals, for what it's worth...
#16 of 21 Old 07-12-2007, 02:21 AM

I have to go back and read some of these posts in this thread because they sound really interesting, but I too was a hospital transfer to the terrible Maimonides from BBC. But the midwife we had exerted a lot of control there, which was good and necessary.
That said, we chose the BBC over every option here in Manhattan and I'm doing it again for my second one--due in about 4 months.

Had I not started at the BBC I'm almost certain I would have been a c-section. I had a 29 hour labor (38 if I count the time before I actually was admitted at the BBC) with a baby that was occiput posterior with a head flexed to the side.

Katherine Abelson did stay with me the whole time--even at Maimonides. She was also very non-alarmist, which I especially appreciate in hindsight. I'd really have to recommend her strongly, and didn't get the sense that they risked everybody out. I would advise scheduling a tour (free and ours was completely private) of the Brooklyn Birthing Center. It might answer many of your questions. It's really an excellent facility. good luck with the upcoming birth!
#17 of 21 Old 08-03-2007, 02:19 AM

I am getting my prenatal care at the BBC. So far I have been happy with them, but I do not have much to compare it to. At almost every appointment I act like a whiny baby worrying about my blood pressure (taking my blood pressure causes it to rise) and other risk outs like GD and such. They always tell me all the options we have before I get "risked out" and clearly define what problems they are comfortable with and only get risked out of paper for insurance reasons. For instance during orientation she (Yuila) mentioned they may have to risk out or order an ultrasound to check fluid levels if the mother is past 42 weeks BUT they do not require a dating sonogram nor does every woman remember her exact LMP. So I "forgot" my LMP exactly and am a week behind on paper, measuring about a week ahead, but no one is changing my due date. She also spoke about a woman who had to deliver her first child in Maimonides because of GD. With her second child she controlled her sugar levels so well with a good diet she "passed" the glucose test. The point is it is not perfect but they do work with you. And although I HATE the idea of being at Maimonides at least I know should there be an emergency the best possible advocates will be with me.

I am under the impression that they are also happy to refer one to a homebirth midwife (one works as their alternate) as well. At orientation, as they went over insurance and legal requirements they mentioned that people who had already had a home birth would not be comfortable at the BBC. One day I hope to be so comfortable with my home and birth to do so but for now I feel most confident (though still working on it) at the BBC.

My complaint is I find the office to be a little ditzy. This may be because the main receptionist has been on maternity leave while the retired one filled in. Not so ditzy that I am not confident while there with my health in their hands, but more like I feel responsible for my prenatal care. For instance they asked me to see a gyno regarding a abnormal pap and I decided not to go and they do not remind me. For my twenty week anatomy scan I was first told I only had one options of where to get the ultrasound and later was given two.

I have a friend of a friend of a friend who delivered there and I heard that she complains about the midwives attitudes or says they are rude. She also choose to deliver her second child there....This attitude seems common. Like BBC is not perfect, but if home doesn't work for a person, it is still better than the hospitals.

At my last visit I appreciated the talk I had with yulia regarding pediatricians who accept medicaid, will work with you to delay vaccinations, and how to set up a meeting.

Sorry to go off. I could write about this stuff all day. I'd also love to hear from others who delivered there. Are there any other common complaints besides their unnecessary risk outs?
#18 of 21 Old 08-03-2007, 04:58 AM

I have heard far too many stories of people who have been risked out, unnecessarily and have ended up with a c-section. I second Clementine Midwifery at LICH and highly reccomend them.
#19 of 21 Old 08-03-2007, 02:24 PM

BB, how was your experience at BBC?
#20 of 21 Old 08-03-2007, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3daughters View Post
BB, how was your experience at BBC?
WONDERFUL. I have only good things to say about Yulia and Katherine the midwives and Yumi the assistant. The entire experience was amazing. My dh was very impressed with it. My sil and 12 yr old niece very glad to be there too.
I had an awesome Doula as well. I could not have done it without her.

#21 of 21 Old 08-05-2007, 11:16 AM

I'm SO happy for you! Are you coming down this way at all?

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page