Are there any Moms that gave birth at the birth center in Columbia? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 13 Old 07-14-2007, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
And may I pick your brain?

I'm going to call and talk with them myself, but I thought I would talk to other moms that have birthed there beforehand to see if I can get some of my questions answered.

Do you know if they take private insurance?

For those who lived a hour or two (or more) away, how did you go about getting prenatal care? Did you go there, or did you have someone else (or yourself) doing it, and then just went there for the birth?

Did you decline any/all newborn procedures (Hep B, VitK, eyedrops, etc.) or request anything else like delaying clamping/cutting the cord, and did they have any problems with it?

Especially for those who lived farther away: How did you handle after care for you and the baby? It's my understanding that you're able to leave after so many hours following the birth, I'm curious how that works out if you live out of the area from the center.

If there's anything else I've missed, questions I should ask when I call, or things you'd like to share about your birthing experience there, I'd love to hear it.

Please excuse my ignorance if I'm asking anything silly. I've only had hospital births before now, and although I thought I had gotten comfortable with having a hospital birth this time around again, the more I think about it, the more I'm really feeling like it's my body, my baby, and a hospital is just too institutional and 'routine procedure' ridden for me to really be comfortable with it. There's definitely something to being 'older and wiser'.

After extensive discussion with my husband, a homebirth just really isn't possible for us. We'll either be about to move, moving, or have just moved when this baby comes, and I'm not comfortable cutting it that close to such a stressful event, doing a homebirth for the first time.

jamie. crinkly (not quite crunchy) wife and mama to 4 amazing girls, two awesome little boys, and surprise lucky #7 this autumn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 08-16-2007, 03:38 PM

I haven't given birth at the Columbia Birth Center, but have had several friends that have.

They do take private insurance and bill it through the doctor there (not the midwives).

They are very open to whatever procedures you would like/not like done. And haven't heard of anyone having problems with declining shots, eye drops, etc.

I live in Kirksville, about 1 1/2 hours away from the clinic and my friends drove down there for their prenatals and birthing classes. I think that they let you go home after 4 hours after birth but do a baby follow-up at some point and are available by phone.

I have met several of the staff members from the clinic and recently attended a doula training taught by one of the midwives. They trust birth and have a laid back attitude and just seem so warm and friendly. I would definitely give them a call if this is something you are considering.
#3 of 13 Old 08-23-2007, 05:04 PM

I see you asked this awhile ago, but hope a reply is still helpful.

I gave birth to my dd there Dec '06, and it was a wonderful experience! They were absolutely fine with us declining all newborn shots/procedures you mentioned. She was born in the water, and the midwife actually caught her (the doc was holding the flashlight as the lights were dim--so yeah, the doc was ok with being hands-off).

I can't give you much info on laboring there, since I was complete on arrival! We live 1 1/2 hours away, and I travelled there for prenatals and classes. It wasn't much of a hardship, since we live in a tiny town, and I used the opportunity of being in the "big city" to do my Christmas shopping. Labor in the car wasn't a big deal. I just told myself I would NOT go too fast and have the baby on the way. And I didn't. I hit transition as we entered the parking lot.

I felt like getting out of the tub to deliver the placenta, so they helped me move to the bed. And waited until I was ready to push to deliver it. We then waited for the cord to stop pulsing to cut it. Oh, and they did not suction baby after delivery--they feel babies are pretty good at clearing their own gunk, and only interfere if it seems baby needs the help. She was placed immediately on my chest and towels put over us to keep her warm.

I had a tear along my old episiotomy scars, which they were going to leave alone, but I had some extra bleeding, so they wanted to stitch that and see where we were after that. They have all the meds available for pp bleeding that are available in the hospital if that is a concern.

For me, they didn't work, and I kept bleeding, so we made the decision to transport to the hospital. The doctor met us there, I was admitted as her patient, with ob consult. The baby was never admitted and never left our sight. I had retained fragments that had to be cleaned out with a manual d&c. So nothing the center could have done differently to prevent.

I would recommend their services to anyone, even if you have a bit of a drive to get there. And will definitely go back (if they don't risk me out--and the mw there said they would likely take me again) if we are blessed again.

They definitely trust birth, and trust a mom to know what her body and baby needs during birth. They are there to support you and offer suggestions, or get out of your way and let you do your thing.

And the feeling when you walk in the door is just serenity and peace.

A really nice place to bring a new life into the world.

#4 of 13 Old 08-23-2007, 06:18 PM

I had my DD there in September of 06 (before it became CCBC).

They do take private insurance but call and make sure they take yours.

They were fine with us declining the newborn procedures, I felt no pressure what so ever.

I lived only about 10 minutes away so I labored at home and then spent about three hours at the birth center, the last two in the tub. Ah such bliss when you get into the tub...

For those that lived far away, they usually get in the car when the contractions are regular and strong. I'm one of the hosts for the post-partum group on Mondays so I've heard a few stories. Usually, you get into touch with them when your contractions start and keep in touch with them regularly. I personally called them about an hour after my water broke but it was different for me.

The only thing we forgot was the food. I was sick to my stomach all of my labor and they made me drink Gatorade (bleh) but it was fine for me. DH got really hungry and so when my sister came to bring the gatorade, she noticed how hungry he was and brought him food. The really stupid thing was, I had it all packed and in the fridge, we just forgot it driving in.

My DD was born at 2:30pm or so, and we were home by 7. That included me and the baby having a lil naparoo since I was so wiped. It really depends on how long you want to stay there. Dr. Walters left at about 5 I think, and DeeDee stayed with us the whole time. She helped my inlaws and my husband figure out the car seat.

All in all, it was a great experience. The tub, sitting on the birth ball, how gentle they were with me (I only got checked twice), how they honored our wishes regarding clamping the cord later, all of it. My DD never cried with her first breath - she cried when she started getting cold.

If there's anything else I can answer for you, let me know! Or, if you want to come visit the birth center, or come hang out with other birth center moms.
#5 of 13 Old 08-25-2007, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much for your posts! I haven't checked this thread in a couple weeks, and I was surprised (and happy) to have replies.

I'm especially glad to hear such positive things about the birth center after my last appointment on Monday with my OB. I started going down my list of things to discuss, the first being eating and drinking during labor, and she answered me without a problem (said she didn't have a problem with it), and then I went on to talking about my desire to delay clamping and cutting the cord after the baby is born. I said it was mainly due to the fact that both my girls had moderate jaundice, almost 'requiring' hospitalization, and I'd researched that delaying clamping the cord can help prevent jaundice. She then said it was more likely because I breastfed; but she would be fine with doing that-"as long as she didn't have to get the baby over to the warmer." When she said that, I had a flash of the birth, and her saying she wanted the baby in the warmer, so she 'had to' cut the cord right away. Goodness knows that an OB doesn't want to have to spend any more time than necessary in a delivery room.

Anyway,...it wasn't really even her answer that gave me a bad feeling, it was more the look she gave me as I asked it; annoyed would probably describe it best. And I approached it from a "This is something I would like to discuss" position, not at all demanding. The simple fact that I'm now nervous about discussing the rest of my questions and preferences makes it obvious I need to go elsewhere.

Now I'll definitely be calling the birth center on Monday. I think the reason I had put it out of my mind, is that my husband was concerned about the distance (it's not even a 1 1/2 hours drive), but the hospital is only a 25 minute drive, and both our girls were born in the hospital, so he didn't see why we should do anything differently. He is however, very understanding when it comes to me not being comfortable with a doctor/situation, and now I have a reason he'll understand for wanting to 'change plans' for this baby.

jamie. crinkly (not quite crunchy) wife and mama to 4 amazing girls, two awesome little boys, and surprise lucky #7 this autumn.
#6 of 13 Old 08-25-2007, 01:15 PM

Definitely, if you are having reservations now, you need a different provider. With my first, I wanted natural, and when I started discussing that with my ob, I got the pat on the head (not really, but that's what it felt like), and the "a lot of women feel that way before they are actually in labor". The implication being, they can't do it, and neither can you, so get over it and let me handle things. Yeah, he was a man.

But I didn't switch, even though everything in me was screaming to. I was 7 mos, and you just didn't switch that far along--or so I thought.

Needless to say, my birth was an intervention nightmare, that ended just barely short of a c-section. He was talking it, I was determined it wouldn't happen. You shouldn't have to fight that hard to get what you want in labor.

Serena is right, in that I called in when my ctxs were regular, and kept in touch thorughtout. Because my labor never got very intense, I actually stayed home longer than I should have. But it was still fine.

Because I transferred (ambulance) to the hospital, it was the next day before I went home. But even with the hemorrhage, they were very calm and in control of the situation the whole time.

We went back at 1 week for a checkup for baby and me, and then 6 weeks pp for me.

I just know you will love it there.

And do take your dh and take a tour and ask all your questions. They are all so wonderful!

Serena, I wish I were closer that I could take advantage of the meetings and gatherings they have there.
#7 of 13 Old 09-07-2007, 01:11 PM

Maybe you've already decided to go with them, but if you're still trying to decide I wanted to mention one more thing. I am on medicaid so can't use the birth center, but they did recommend a doc in Fulton, Catherine McCray. She used to work for them and still serves as backup for the regular doc. You don't say which direction you're coming from so I don't know if Fulton would be closer, but I am going with her and feel very confident. She was candid and frank about hospital policies, csec rates and the like. They only have 2 birth suites at the hospital there b/c only about 120 babies are born there each year, and there's a jacuzzi to labor in. If you've decided to go with the birth center then kudos, but if you (or anyone else for that matter) are looking for another option, I recommend Dr. McCray.
#8 of 13 Old 09-07-2007, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter

I'm in Wright City. Mapquest puts Fulton 10 minutes closer to me than Columbia, but my husband won't go for a hospital birth that far away when there's a hospital <25 minutes from us. Hooray for male logic.

He's totally fine with the birth center, although I haven't called them yet. I need to get on that, but I've been in and out so much the last 2 weeks that I haven't had time to sit down and make a list of questions and call. That doesn't even address the wicked case of 'pregnancy brain' I've been having. :

#9 of 13 Old 09-07-2007, 10:46 PM

FWIW, Mapquest doesn't know what they're talking about. If you take 70 to kingdom city, Fulton is 7 miles south of the exit. Kingdom city is a good 25-30 minutes from where the birth center is. So you're less than an hour from Fulton and 1 1/2 hrs from Columbia.

Good luck with calling the birth center, I talked to Ivy and she was super helpful!
#10 of 13 Old 09-10-2007, 03:43 PM

Does anyone know if the BC allows vbacs?
#11 of 13 Old 09-10-2007, 05:38 PM

As far as I know, yes.
#12 of 13 Old 09-10-2007, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kluella View Post
FWIW, Mapquest doesn't know what they're talking about. If you take 70 to kingdom city, Fulton is 7 miles south of the exit. Kingdom city is a good 25-30 minutes from where the birth center is. So you're less than an hour from Fulton and 1 1/2 hrs from Columbia.

Good luck with calling the birth center, I talked to Ivy and she was super helpful!
Bleck, typical MapQuest...I should have known.

Thanks for setting me straight, that does make a difference.

#13 of 13 Old 09-13-2007, 03:56 AM

The birth center is very pro VBAC! That's where i'm going when i get pregnant with number 3. I'm not even pregnant yet and already went for a visit! I loved it! I live 40 minutes north of Kirksville, so about 2 hrs away. I know a woman 10 minutes from me that had her last three babies there and after the birth if the mom and baby want to check into a hotel the midwife will come to the hotel to check on you later! My son was born at columbia regional and even though i had a successful vbac it was a struggle to get it (induction, intervention, bleh). This time it's the birth center or my car, whichever comes first.

In love with the Hubs (6-03) & : Kookie Pookie Girl (c/s 5-05) & Bouncy Big Boy (vbac 2-07) & : Miss Cheeky Cheeks (hbac 11-08) 100*90* 100lbs = Las Vegas : Almost there!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page