How much to pay babysitter in NoVA? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 16 Old 09-22-2007, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello there! Can you gals give me some guidelines on what to pay an occasional, date night babysitter? We've got 2 candidates, one who said, "Just pay me what you think is fair." Considering we paid our last babysitter $6 an hour in AL, I'm guessing "fair" is probably a lot more! One babysitter is 22, the other 30.

DS is an EASY 21 mo old, and the most she would be doing is playing with him inside the home, feeding him a pre-prepared meal, changing him into PJ's, brushing teeth and laying him down for bed.

Any help would be appreciated!

Freelance Chef and SAHM to The Boy 12/05 and The Girl 11/07.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 16 Old 09-22-2007, 10:34 PM

I just moved from there- $10-13 per hour is pretty standard. It can depend on how many children and how old they are.

"Hey, I've got nothin' to do today but smile." - S & G
#3 of 16 Old 09-23-2007, 07:10 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
We have never used a teen sitter, but have paid a SAHM $10/ hour cash to watch our two at her house.

When I provide hourly childcare (in my home) I charge $12/ hour since I am tracking income, will pay taxes and will offer receipts (which will make a difference in my client's taxes!).

Hope that helps!

Along those same lines... what is a fair rate to pay a very young (tween - 10 or 11) mothers helper to play with kids in your home while you work? I have a neighbor who may be interested, and don't have a clue what to pay her since I have only ever used adults.

mom to a 12yo entomologist, a 10yo skateboarder, and a fabulous, flatulent 2015 baby

#4 of 16 Old 09-23-2007, 07:21 PM

$10 to $15 for an adult, $6 to $10 for a teenager. Depending on age, experience, number of kids being sat, etc. I pay a local teenager $8/hour for an afternoon sit, $10 for an older woman looking after one kid, but $15/hour for an older woman looking after all the kids.

It sure impacts the economics of going out...

HTH
#5 of 16 Old 09-23-2007, 09:52 PM

i wish i was your baby sitter!!! i used to make way less than that in KY.

::
#6 of 16 Old 09-25-2007, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks ladies. I guess we'll be skipping Morton's! Holy Moly that's a lot of cash! Maybe I should start babysitting!

#7 of 16 Old 09-25-2007, 07:18 PM

If I lived near you I would babysit for you (& then have you watch mine sometime as payment).
I am trying to start a babysitting co-op with the parents at my DDs school. Maybe you could start one in your area.

I really need a babysitter ASAP!

I have heard that the going rate is $10-$20. EEK! I need one once a month for 5 hours while I work at DDs school.
#8 of 16 Old 09-26-2007, 12:37 AM

Hey, for when do you need a sitter? We should really meet. I think my 13.5-mo might be fascinated by a Baby Jay.
#9 of 16 Old 09-26-2007, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katybeth72 View Post
If I lived near you I would babysit for you (& then have you watch mine sometime as payment).
I am trying to start a babysitting co-op with the parents at my DDs school. Maybe you could start one in your area.

I really need a babysitter ASAP!

I have heard that the going rate is $10-$20. EEK! I need one once a month for 5 hours while I work at DDs school.
Hey lady! How's it going? Getting used to NoVA? I'm just glad we're out of the AL heat! PM me sometime and we'll find a time to get together.

As for a co-op, that would be great, but the extent of the folks I've met here are the nanny's that take their charges to Gymboree! (I'm one of the very FEW mommies there.) And some LLL ladies, but not with kids the same age as Jay. Plus I have to admit I'm a little weird about wanting Jay here at home while we're out. The whole "comfort zone" thing.

I got the names of our babysitters from babysitters.com. The two ladies I've settled on are both great. It's a subscription service, but so far I've seen the value.

#10 of 16 Old 09-26-2007, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktbug View Post
Hey, for when do you need a sitter? We should really meet. I think my 13.5-mo might be fascinated by a Baby Jay.
I took your advice and checked out Cherry Hill Park. WE LOVE IT! The shade really does make a huge difference to us "whiter than the driven snow" types. We should make a "date" to meet there one day. Jay loves walking down to the construction site and watching the "big trucks." I think we spent an hour on someones lawn there last week!

As for the sitting, I want a "date night" sitter, which it looks like we've found, and then maybe someone to help a few hours a week when this little one comes. Though I'm thinking I might even research post-partum doulas. That concept really appeals to me.

#11 of 16 Old 09-27-2007, 09:09 PM

Thanks for the tip- I will check out the babysitter's site- I too like my little ones to be at home. I will PM you soon!

Ohh- Post partum Doula sounds great!

*** I am settling in here in a land of plenty & nannies! Lots to do & great parks. Weird, though, I strangely miss AL...
#12 of 16 Old 10-01-2007, 04:14 PM

The ones we used in Manassas charged $10 an hour. But when we moved to Stafford, the ones we use here are only charging $5 an hour.
#13 of 16 Old 10-06-2007, 09:31 PM

I was going to tell you that the going rate in close-in NOVA is 10-15$, but it looks like you stayed home instead. Morton's is overrated, I promise.

Randomly, my almost 2 year old dd and I do Cherry Hill Park at least one weekday morning a week--the Falls Church City library is great & walking distance (right across the street) and they do walk in story times for toddlers almost every day of the week around 10, 1030 (I forget the exact time).

I hear ya on the nannies, tho! Assuming you are new to the area: If you have a car, there are some awesome parks in Arlington and McLean (google "Clemyjontri"). In Arlington, if you go down Lee Highway (Rt 29) from Falls Church to Arlington, and turn left on Harrison St, there is a fantastic park about 6 blocks up on the right. Chock full o'nannies, too.

Anyway, I'll be the non-nanny at Cherry Hill park--maybe we'll run into each other sometime!
#14 of 16 Old 10-10-2007, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaintejean View Post
Anyway, I'll be the non-nanny at Cherry Hill park--maybe we'll run into each other sometime!
We go almost every day, and I've found it just depends on what time of day you go - mornings before 11am are usually more moms than nannies, but then from about noon to 3 or so, it's all nannies. Then the place is dead until around 4:30, when it starts to be more moms again.

I second the Clemyjontri thing - wow, what an amazing place! I actually did a short research paper for school about it, I was so taken with the place. We also go to a smaller, cozier park a little ways from CHP called Lincoln Road Park, on the corner of Great Falls St and Lincoln Road (about a mile and a half from Cherry Hill).

It's funny, we've probably all even seen each other by now!
#15 of 16 Old 10-12-2007, 12:13 AM

I'll have to check out the Lincoln road park-haven't been there yet!

OK, say hi if you see us! I'll be the chubby one who desperately needs highlights chasing a crazy-haired little girl! :
#16 of 16 Old 10-12-2007, 05:54 PM

we're in western NOVa, and we found a teen that will sit all three of my kids for 5.00/ hr. one afternoon she did my dishes, emptied and reloaded the washer and then helped my older two clean the basement, so i paid her 10.00/ hr. sometimes her mom has her sit for us as "service" too. she's an awesome 14 yr old!!!!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page