Places to eat and/or play in Newport - Mothering Forums

#1 of 15 Old 01-23-2008, 12:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are heading to Newport this weekend, yippee! We're doing the aquarium on Friday, and who knows what on Saturday. A bundled up walk on the beach, hopefully! :

Any suggestions of places to eat (or avoid eating) or things we should do or see while we're there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 01-23-2008, 02:07 PM

Oh, I'm so jealous! We moved to the east coast 1.5 years ago, but we still have our house in Newport where we had all our babies.

You should definitely head down to Nye beach and try Cafe Mundo, Panini bakery and the the Scoop. Cafe Mundo is run by Lori, a funky past midwife and her family. My friend, China, may be serving. All of those are on the main road through Nye Beach.

Up on 101 near the traffic light closest to the bridge is my girlfriend Dede's bakery/restaurant. She's a great personality to meet, too.

It's fun to see if anything is happening at the PAC (performing arts center), also on the main Nye Beach drag. The rec center, behind town hall on 101 near the intersection with hwy 20 can be a good place to get out of the weather and run around in the gym. Also, besides the aquarium is the Hatfield Marine Science Center's public wing that is by donation and has some unique things that the big aquarium doesn't - like an up close octopus.

I could go on and on, but I'm getting homesick. Have fun!
#3 of 15 Old 01-23-2008, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

Awesome! Thanks for the recommendations. I think we'll skip the PAC since we will have our 2 year old with us. Will check it out when someday we head over there for a weekend ALONE!

We'll definitely hit a few of those places you mentioned. I'll tell 'em Hoosky sent me!

#4 of 15 Old 01-23-2008, 04:19 PM

I Rogue Ale. Either the Brewery right next to the aquarium or the one on the bayfront. Both kid friendly.

There's also a cafe that is in the little shopping strip next to the aquarium. It's a little hole in the wall place and for the life of me I can't remember the name, something fish cafe?, We eat there every time we are in Newport.

we did this with C and M last year, log museum
It was interesting for the adults about the area, the kids had more fun looking at the school house stuff and toys. etc.

kids bugging for lunch, will try and get back for more

Leslie-mom to Carson and Madison :, Sage Tree :, and Buckbeak, Tonks, and Luna
#5 of 15 Old 01-23-2008, 09:56 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Leslie!
#6 of 15 Old 01-24-2008, 12:04 PM

I like the Rogue pubs, too. I want to say that place by the aquarium is the aquarium is the flying fish, but I may be confusing the name with a place where I'm at now. Just as a note, the PAC often had shows and activities that were kid friendly. I miss having a place like that where I was comfortable exposing my kids to dance, music and theatre. If its rainy there's the library, too, that has a cozy children's area and super librarians if they're around. Yaquina Head lighthouse, north of town, has an interpretive center that's a good place to let the kids explore a bit and get out of the weather.
#7 of 15 Old 01-24-2008, 05:36 PM

There's a REALLY good fresh seafood place across from the working docks. Down past Mo's and all that...anyone know the name? It's a newer building and the name is something really simple like "Pacific Seafood" or something...hold on while I google...

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&um...89692820661555

Small place...no room for kids to roam...but they were super nice when we had Owen the Wild Man there a few months ago. We've also gotten to-go orders from there and taken it home to the hotel. Yummy stuff. I was kind of stumped for something for Owen last time we were there since he won't eat fish...but we got a big salad with hard-boiled eggs and some other good stuff and he was happy.

Have a fun weekend!!!
#8 of 15 Old 01-24-2008, 05:51 PM

Yeah, Local Ocean is great. And there's Sada's for sushi a block away where Ripley's is. And between the two is a great little coffee shop/bakery.

Thanks, ladies. I'm having fun thinking about Newport!
#9 of 15 Old 01-24-2008, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

Oooh, Sushi. Yum. We've been wanting sushi lately. And a good coffee shop/pastry place is always a good find.

Thanks, mamas!
#10 of 15 Old 01-28-2008, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

So we had a great time in Newport! Thought I'd post a bit about the places we went in case anyone seaerches archives about Newport...

Elizabeth Inn- lame. Well, just not worth the money. Nice exterior, large room, comfortable bed, but the staff was unfriendly and gave us a hard time about not getting an extra bed for Max. $5 a night for movie rentals, really bad continental breakfast. It honestly seemed just like any other hotel on the beachfront- next time we'll save the money and just stay at the Shilo or Hallmark.

We had breakfast at the Stephanie Inn, it was really yummy. Excellent service, perfect portions, and delicious basket of scones with our meal.

We loved the Rogue Brewery just down the street from the Aquarium. They had a lego table that Max could play with, and his fish and chips came on a frisbee that we got to keep.

Lunch at Georgies was ok. Excellent view, no charm or personality. Dated interior, felt like a Denny's. The food was fine- nothing extraordinary, but not bad, either. Cocktails were ok, too. I'm not sure why we chose to go here... oh yeah, I wanted a place with a full bar.

Lunch at the Panini Bakery, next to the bead shop on Nye Beach was great! The people working there were so sweet, the two girls chatting with max, etc. No high chairs, which is a bummer when your 2 year old only wants to go behind the counter to flirt with the workers. The coffee was yum, great sandwiches, delicious bread, and the pastries looked really good, too.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions! I looked for Cafe mundo, but didn't see it until we were driving out of town. ugh!
#11 of 15 Old 01-28-2008, 02:22 PM

Ellie, that sounds sooooo fun! I love the Newport area.

one day I will live there!

Leslie-mom to Carson and Madison :, Sage Tree :, and Buckbeak, Tonks, and Luna
#12 of 15 Old 01-28-2008, 02:49 PM

We ALWAYS stay at the Agate Beach Best Western. We've tried lots of other places, but have found this to be the best unless you want to spend some big $.

Glad you have a fun weekend!
#13 of 15 Old 01-29-2008, 02:57 PM

I was wondering how it went. Glad you had a good time and liked Panini. Sorry I didn't give you more specifics on where places were, ie Cafe Mundo.

One place to check out for lodging is the Sylvia Beach Hotel - right in Nye Beach again. Having lived in Newport I never actually stayed there but worked in their restaurant - Tables of Content. Both are very funky, definitely not your average hotel or restaurant. Each room has an author theme - mostly adult classic authors but one is Dr. Seuss. There's a dorm, too - probably wouldn't go well with younger kids. The restaurant is family style with a set serving time and unless you go with a bunch of people you get seated with others - so it might be tricky with kids - but definitely interesting.
#14 of 15 Old 01-30-2008, 07:56 PM

I must echo the suggestion of Local Ocean.
If I could eat there every day and night I would.

Also the coffee shop just up the street from there in an old house, has great breakfast. I had a salmon omlette and it was very fresh and wholesome.

ETA, just realized your trip is over. Sorry for jumping the gun.
#15 of 15 Old 01-30-2008, 07:57 PM

Oh yeah and avoid the Adobe down in Yachats.

Terrible place with an awesome view. The food was wretched. Maybe just go there for coffee or something, the view is fabulous.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page