Alpha Boro, NJ - Mothering Forums

#1 of 5 Old 02-10-2008, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
After lots of searching we are considering buying a home in Alpha, NJ, but we really know nothing about the area. Any information would be appreciated, especially in regards to community offerings, crunchiness of the area, etc.
Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 02-12-2008, 02:38 AM

in warren county?
#3 of 5 Old 02-12-2008, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

Yes. Exit #3 off the 78.

BTW, I've been trying to contact the Holistic Mom's chapter out there but the email keeps bouncing back so if anyone can share alternate contact info for them I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

#4 of 5 Old 02-12-2008, 04:21 PM

i don't know about the HMN over there, but we have a fairly active group in bethlehem, pa - so if you keep going though philipsburg, into pennsylvania on rt. 22, it's about 15 more minutes. that's a thought if there's nothing out there.

my experience with that area of new jersey is threefold: 1) driving though on the way home, 2) consulting in the philipsburg schools, and 3) dd played field hockey for greenwich township and probably will again next season.

the first two experiences left me somewhat unimpressed with the area. fwiw, i don't know if you are familar with the way the new jersey school districts work, but for example, alpha has its own district, but sends its kids to a neighboring district (philipsburg) for high school. now, where it gets complicated is that philipsburg is an abbott district (a district in need of improvement, receiving additional $ from the state) but many of the sending
districts (alpha, greenwich, lotapcong, etc.) are not - school district politics are getting ugly bc of funding issues and student performance. just some food for thought if you plan on sending your kids to public school and/or staying in the area until they're in h.s.

i got to know many families in the general area from field hockey though, and they were really very lovely people. i couldn't tell how crunchy people were - not too many babies around and it's hard to tell with older kids, you know?

suburby, yes. getting somewhat sprawl-y, yes. minivans/BIG SUVs, yes. but open space, friendly people, etc.

what are you and/or your partner doing for jobs? traffic into the city or into northern jersey can be ugly around clinton at certain times in the morning.
#5 of 5 Old 02-18-2008, 02:42 AM

I lived in Alpha for a year, and in Pohatcong Twp for two years. It can be a really wonderfully affordable place to live (and how many places can you say THAT about in NJ?), with convenient shopping, etc. We did relocate to Hunterdon when it came time to start thinking about schools, though.

Alpha has some nice "town" things, like a community pool, friendly churches, etc. I really miss Alpha sometimes!

There are active Holistic Moms Network AND La Leche League groups in neighboring Hunterdon County. Folks from the P-burg area tend to do a lot of traveling to PA or Hunterdon for more "crunchy" endeavors. But out here, we're used to driving around a lot.

HTH!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page