Building a sustainable economy, culture, life, We Can Do It! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

#31 of 50 Old 10-01-2008, 03:12 PM
p.s

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhiannon Feimorgan View Post
That talk is from TED: Ideas worth spreading. Full of soooooooooo many good ideas and they just keep comming.
Awesome link! thanks!
I had listened to a few videos in the past but the link fell off my radar. Good times now to catch up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 50 Old 10-01-2008, 10:52 PM - Thread Starter

#33 of 50 Old 10-01-2008, 10:55 PM - Thread Starter

from The Better World Shopping Guide by Ellis Jones
  1. Bank
  2. Gasoline
  3. Supermarket
  4. Retail Stores
  5. Car
  6. Seafood
  7. Chocolate
  8. Coffee
  9. Credit Card
  10. Cleaning Products

#34 of 50 Old 10-02-2008, 01:51 AM

Yes. Local economy is most likely in WAY better shape right now than the national economy. depending on your where you live and how involved your community is within itself, the local economy can be the next big thing. Local food sold in local stores, local products, local businesses, etc. I would invest purchasing dollars there and not at a WalMart or Starbucks. Keep the money as close to home as possible. Have a savings account and no stocks. Keep the bucks close to you, with local people you know and out of strangers hands. That will do everyone the most good in the long run. It's all those strangers handling your money that got this whole mess going in the first place.

"To lose the sense of sacredness of the world is a mortal loss. To injure our world by excesses of greed and ingenuity is to endanger our own sacredness."    Ursula K. Le Guin
#35 of 50 Old 10-02-2008, 08:24 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thixle View Post
Here is a lovely idea I wish my town had picked up on--
We had a big storm on the heels of the last US hurricane. Lots of trees got knocked down, etc, etc. Well, the city agreed to do free pick up and disposal of limbs/branches/trees as long as the owners cut them up. So, everyone was sharing chainsaws

But... why didn't the city put the wood in a central location and offer it as free firewood? I know many, many people who heat with wood and would have loved to have it. Instead, the city burned it en mass : And it just makes me mad that the people with the man power, incentive, and vehicles could do such a thing.
They probably didn't even think of it.

Single mama to a 5yo and 8yo

#36 of 50 Old 10-02-2008, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

Become a member of your local co-op. I love being a member, and if I had money now, what I would invest in is shares in a co-op they are expanding right now.

Anybody know anything about the social investing type stocks?
#37 of 50 Old 10-03-2008, 04:56 PM

subbing. This is an inspiring thread!
#38 of 50 Old 10-03-2008, 05:34 PM

IMHO - The path to sustainability is simple. All of the technology is here today. But how many are willing to make these choices or sacrifices?

* Smaller houses
- one way to do this is with building codes and differential property taxes to make houses greater than 2400 square feet very expensive to build. Put in tight environmental standards on new construction and enforce them. I can assure you new builders are not doing much toward energy efficient houses. : What politician will stand in the way of McMansions?
* Shorter commute (live near work or work from home)
* Smaller families AND delayed childbirth (start having kids after 30)
* Hold manufacturers accountable for product life cycle and quality (ever have to replace an 8 year old fridge because it was not repairable? I have)
* Eat less meat
* Replace all light bulbs with CF for residence (80% savings on lighting costs) or LED for commercial (90% savings!) Ban the incandescent light bulb. (Payback is 0-2 years, BTW for the switch to CF)
* "Sin tax" on vehicles with less than 30 MPG EPA rating.
* Extra import duties on non-fuel efficient vehicles (BMW, Mercedes)
* The USA badly needs better support for public transit - we are way behind EU and Canada in this.

And finally, Carbon cap-and-trade
#39 of 50 Old 10-03-2008, 05:40 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
i hear you on everything but the have kids older thing. why wait until after 30? if i only have two kids what difference enviromentally does it make if i have them at 20 or 30?

mayamade soap + apothecary for family + home Now with Pleasant Perineum Sitz Bath
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#40 of 50 Old 10-03-2008, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian'smommaya View Post
i hear you on everything but the have kids older thing. why wait until after 30? if i only have two kids what difference enviromentally does it make if i have them at 20 or 30?
If you look at the total number of people on the planet in 2020 or 2040 or 2100, it will be much lower if the average age of reproduction is older.

Example - babies at 15 and 17 - you can fit 6 generations into 100 years - total of 64 babies ready to reproduce in about 100 years.

Babies at 30 and 32, you can fit just about 3 generations into 100 years - total of 16 babies ready to reproduce in 100 years.

The complete math is more complicated than I can figure out how to explain right now, but education for women is very important (globally speaking) to decrease family size and delay onset of reproduction. (from 15 years old to 20's or 30's) Also women need safe access to family planning - something one religion is working against in Africa and South America.

Delayed childbearing is most important for the next 30-50 years:

Quote:
Current estimates expect the world's total fertility rate to fall below replacement levels by 2050, although population momentum will continue to increase global population for several generations beyond that. The promise of eventual population decline helps reduce concerns of overpopulation, but many believe the Earth's carrying capacity has already been exceeded and that even a stable population would not be sustainable.
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sub-replacement_fertility

Interesting reading here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overpopulation
#41 of 50 Old 10-06-2008, 09:52 PM - Thread Starter

Wha t about FairTrade? What if these principles were applied to trade agreements?
#42 of 50 Old 10-07-2008, 01:45 AM

I think we should also take more responsibility for our own health care. I've been learning massage, reiki, aromatherapy and how to use essential oils, etc. I think learning how to assess and balance our own bodies is important so we can take better care of ourselves and families and not have to rely on doctors as much, and the incredibly huge amounts of money they cost.

I will try not to take the moms only after 30 personally as well.

Saamy Student mama to  superhero.gifand hearts.gifand babyf.gif

#43 of 50 Old 10-07-2008, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by studentmama View Post
Anybody know anything about the social investing type stocks?
We just attended a Green Investing workshop a few weeks ago.

Calvert Foundation offers Community Investment Notes.

Alt Energy Stocks

Co-op America has a Social Investing section.

If you have a lot of money, the New Alternatives Fund is a socially responsible mutual fund.
#44 of 50 Old 10-07-2008, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny*pa*mom View Post
We just attended a Green Investing workshop a few weeks ago.

Calvert Foundation offers Community Investment Notes.

Alt Energy Stocks

Co-op America has a Social Investing section.

If you have a lot of money, the New Alternatives Fund is a socially responsible mutual fund.
Oh thank you!!

Another thing I have been thinking about for at least 10 years, what if there were a way to start energy co-ops with wind mills etc? Like go around to all the farmers in an area to build a co-op?
#45 of 50 Old 10-09-2008, 10:29 PM - Thread Starter

#46 of 50 Old 10-10-2008, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by studentmama View Post
Oh thank you!!

Another thing I have been thinking about for at least 10 years, what if there were a way to start energy co-ops with wind mills etc? Like go around to all the farmers in an area to build a co-op?
I love the idea of energy co-ops, every community being energy independent. I think especially schools need to start thinking about alternative energy sources. Imagine every school with windmills or solar panels.
#47 of 50 Old 10-11-2008, 03:37 AM

What if major businesses were required to be off grid without using fossil fuels? Imagine what savings of resources and energy we would have if places like WalMart Super stores had to provide their own, non fossil fuel energy? One thing for sure, there would be less of them.

A zero wast policy would also be great.
Solid and unflinching accountability of corporations. Making them take responsibility for their actions in regards to their entire effect on the environment and people's health. From their acquisition of raw materials to their manufacturing and packaging of their products to the wastes that are produced to the health effects of their products. All of it. There would be much smaller companies and less of them. The products we use would be much simpler, less polluting and healthier for us, and much much more expensive. But, that would be the real cost of the goods. Unlike today, where the cost we pay for anything has nothing to do with its real tole on the environment or our health.

Changing our habits and not buying new products or technology in order to "be green" so we can continue with the way things are. High efficiency bulbs as an example. We are told it will save us energy to just buy a new product. How about turning off our lights when we don't need them? That way, the mercury that is in the compact bulbs will not get into the environment. Toxic products, or any products for that matter, do not make us sustainable. Our actions do.

Giving up the idea that we can always expect foods like bananas to be on the shelf. Import crops are massive wastes of resources. From their cultivation to their transport and storage. Giving up the idea that we can have what we want, when we want it. Giving up the idea that we will always have choices of multiple foods for each meal.

Garden more. Grow food. Touch the land directly with our hands. Get some soil under your fingernails. Become intimate with the food we eat. Know where it comes from and how it grows. Know the seasons again. Become dependent on them, the earth and ourselves, and not a store to provide us with our nourishment. Even if it's just a few pots on a roof, grow tomatoes. Grow herbs. Know the plants and their cycles. Any small connection is better than none.

"To lose the sense of sacredness of the world is a mortal loss. To injure our world by excesses of greed and ingenuity is to endanger our own sacredness."    Ursula K. Le Guin
#48 of 50 Old 10-11-2008, 10:58 AM

I just wanted to add we vote every day with every dollar we spend. The food we buy, whether we drive or ride a bike, where we shop. Every action can directly support the sustainable society we envision.
#49 of 50 Old 10-12-2008, 05:48 PM

Google has committed to building a clean energy future.

Quote:
Last spring we announced that we would be carbon neutral for 2007 and beyond, and we’re on track to meet this goal. We’ve taken concrete steps to reduce our carbon footprint and accelerate improvements in green technology. For example, through design improvements and the adoption of power-saving technologies, such as evaporative cooling, we have made great strides to bolster the efficiency of our data centers – the facilities that store the computers that enable Google to deliver accurate search results at lightning speed. We’ve also reduced the carbon footprint of our building and office operations - for example, by replacing incandescent bulbs with higher-efficiency lighting, and maximizing the use of natural light. And earlier this year we flipped the switch at our Mountain View headquarters on one of the largest corporate solar panel installations in the United States.
#50 of 50 Old 10-20-2008, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny*pa*mom View Post
Very interesting, thanks for posting this!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page