Coloring, coloring, and more coloring - Mothering Forums

#1 of 4 Old 10-01-2008, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My dd is in 2nd grade now and they still color a ton of worksheets. Too much wasted time in my opinion.

My dd often finds herself coloring (with a couple other students) when the teacher is reviewing work that she already knows.

I want to complain without offending the teacher so help me approach this subject.

It seems a bit like lazy teaching. She has 15 students and a part time assistant AND a college student teacher.

On the positive side, my dd loves her and she is super nice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 10-01-2008, 11:40 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Is coloring required? DD is in Kinder and there is a lot of worksheet coloring oppurnuties but with a few exceptions the coloring is optional yet she does it all. The amount of coloring is staggering and I'd rather drill my own teeth than color endlessly but shes enjoys it. Doing so can also help reinforce the lessons. Give them something to focus on while review is being done (a necessity for multiple students at diffrent learning stages).

Deanna

Wife to DH since August 01 mom to a bubbly girl October 2002 and our newest gal March 2010
#3 of 4 Old 10-01-2008, 12:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
In some classes when a kid is done thier work but others aren't they're allowed to do quiet activities. colouring is common as is reading, playing with certain toyes, etc. There are also centers where kids are grouped into different groups. The teacher is with 1 group, the EA's & student teachers & sometimes parent helpers are with other groups. Colouring is often part of 1 of those center groups. they rotate which group they're in each centers class.

I'd go in & mention that your dd said when the teacher is teaching stuff that dd already knows instead she's colouring with other students & that you were wondering if your dd was mixed up in what was going on in the class at that time, having problems concentrating on what she should be doing(not saying your dd is doing anything wrong, but it puts it as a concerned parent vs pissed off parent).

Now if it is that the teacher is teaching & dd already knows the stuff so she is doing "busy work" instead, ask about enrichment that the teacher could be giving instead.

#4 of 4 Old 10-01-2008, 05:36 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It sounds like the coloring is a holding spot for her and these couple others that don't need the review? Maybe you could suggest something else they could do (that you could provide help/materials for)?

mama to DS 9 and DD 5 and

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page