I'm anemic - Mothering Forums

#1 of 10 Old 02-11-2009, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Midwife called me yesterday with some results from the blood she drew when she visited for the first time last week. And oh man am I anemic. Still nursing, so apparently these damn kids are sucking the life out of me. But this explains why I've been so incredibly horribly tired since I got pg. I had an enormous piece of steak for dinner last night with broccoli, no calcium because it inhibits iron absorption, and took an iron pill before bed last night. I feel so much better today!!

Posting as a PSA, if you're still crazy tired you might want to up the iron intake or take Floradix or ferrous sulfate pills. My friendly neighborhood butcher was trying to talk me into beef tea (exactly what it sounds like), but that's just plain out of my league.

lips.gif mama to flower.gif n 12.17.07 and coolshine.gif j 08.13.09

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 02-11-2009, 08:46 PM

LOL, beef tea? Yep, that's outta my league too.
#3 of 10 Old 02-12-2009, 10:11 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
What was your iron count?
I was very anemic with my first one, and I had to take floradix twice a day, and also took homeopathic iron called ferrum phos. I got it up so quickly, but just barely above the numbers for a safe birth. Good thing you know about it now. I found out how anemic I was at 39 weeks. This time around, I just found out at 12 weeks. Things are looking much better.

Ok, Beef tea, :Puke

I guess you could cook chunks of beef in water for a stew, and that actually sounds alright.

#4 of 10 Old 02-12-2009, 10:25 AM

I was borderline at my first appointment. They didn't say anything about supplements yet but I sure feel like it hasn't moved up any, more to the contrary. I am still not eating very much and the iron rich foods gross me out.

I am going to have mine rechecked since I am still feeling very tired and getting dizzy when I move too much. Thanks for the reminder.

But still not going for the beef tea :

Pernille, Married to : mom to my 2 littel boys :4/12/07 and : 8/24/09
#5 of 10 Old 02-13-2009, 05:15 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Personally, I find ferrous gluconate much, much easier to tolerate. It is more readily absorbed and causes less GI problems.
#6 of 10 Old 02-13-2009, 05:27 PM

wouldn't beef tea just be beef broth? We aren't talking blood here, are we?

I hope your iron count goes up to a better level
#7 of 10 Old 02-14-2009, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Texas. If I push my protein and iron-rich foods, I'm mostly feeling better.

I've been giggling at the reactions to beef tea. As my old-school Italian butcher described it, basically you collect the juice from RAW steak, steep in in MORE raw steak, and bottoms up. It was possibly among the more repugnant concoctions ever suggested to me, aside from the potential bacterial ramifications. Blech!!

lips.gif mama to flower.gif n 12.17.07 and coolshine.gif j 08.13.09

#8 of 10 Old 02-14-2009, 03:08 PM

Does anyone know if they normally check for anemia at the beginning?? I'm really feeling what y'all described. I know with my last pregnancy I was low on iron. And I just can't seem to stomach alot of iron rich stuff like someone else said.
#9 of 10 Old 02-15-2009, 10:08 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy_Mommy View Post
Does anyone know if they normally check for anemia at the beginning?? I'm really feeling what y'all described. I know with my last pregnancy I was low on iron. And I just can't seem to stomach alot of iron rich stuff like someone else said.
If your doc or midwife doesn't, you should request a iron test. It takes no time at all.
#10 of 10 Old 02-17-2009, 12:02 AM

I tend to get anemic during pregnancy, and I'm vegetarian. Beef is out of the question. However, at whole foods, or any natural food store or coop, you can get floradix, which is a liquid iron supplement made from whole foods so it is easily absorbed. It got my iron from a 9 up to 12 in no time. It doesn't taste great, but I'm sure it's better than beef stew or those huge horse iron pills that can be prescribed.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page