Modest maternity? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 11 Old 02-17-2009, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It seems all I can find are low rise jeans and shirts that would be too tight on me not pregnant. Is anyone else a dresses only type of gal? The other problem is finding dresses I can nurse my toddler in and that will function as maternity dresses. Skirts and maternity tops would be fine if I could find any. I don't wear anything sleeveless, low cut, or shorter than just below the knee. Any suggestions?
The only idea I have is to seek out traditional maternity patterns and learn to sew from a pattern.

On an unrelated note, I'm 13 weeks today!!! :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 02-17-2009, 05:29 PM

How about a wrap skirt and tunic top? You could let the skirt out as your belly grows, and any nursing tunic length top would cover the belly area. I've also seen shirts that have laces/buttons and triangular panels over the hips so you can "let out" the belly without getting that "short in the front" look.

A nursing tank top under a regular/longer button down shirt would also be nursing friendly since you could unbutton enough for access while still being covered.

Or perhaps a jumper style dress over a long sleeved shirt would solve the belly gap concern... even if the shirt was a bit too short for full coverage the jumper would cover that area. And to nurse you'd just pull the strap of the jumper aside to access whatever nursing openings your shirt had.

I know that the modesty threads (mostly in Spirituality and Religious Studies) often have links to online vendors, real world brands, and simple patterns for modest outfits that are nursing/baby/toddler friendly.

Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#3 of 11 Old 02-17-2009, 05:45 PM

I dress basically the same and I actually love my low rise jeans I bought with ds 2. They are wonderful and I just get regular maternity tops. I would love to wear some of these dresses that have been posted about but they are low cut and sleeveless. I've done the wearing something underneath but it's just not as cute. I need to figure out how to make a cute free flowing sleeved dress.

#4 of 11 Old 02-17-2009, 07:23 PM

This might come off snide, but I am REALLY curious..
I cant find ANYTHING like that in LAS VEGAS!!!! I am more in the market for what you described, and All I can find is huge ugly tunics and really unflattering cut jeans for my body type...
You'd think we'd have cornered the market on sexier mama clothes, but without being "too vegas" ( i haaaaate that), and all we have is khakis and flower print. Ugh.
Maybe we should trade cities and go shopping!

Married to my best friend, and favorite person in the world... Proud 1st time mama to our son, Conway James. Born July 29th!::::
#5 of 11 Old 02-17-2009, 07:55 PM

For wrap skirts, I know a lot of mamas like the enwrapture skirts (long version). But the fabric is heavily printed so if your modesty guidelines include simple colors these wouldn't work. This company is also a popular one on the modesty threads. And I've seen a "do it yourself for the almost non-sewer" version of the wrap skirt in modesty threads as well as art/craft threads.

For longer tunics there's this, these folks do all sorts of modest/modern (including professional outfits), and there's this one too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#6 of 11 Old 02-17-2009, 09:02 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I won't wear anything shirt low cut or sleeveless, so layering for me is the key. I still like to wear my maternity clothes a little fitting because I love to show the baby off, but I wear tank top under things, and wear long maternity shirts. Things still look stylish, but properly covered. I do love low rise maternity pants, but my shirts go over them anyway. I have bought most of my maternity things on ebay and they have great deal on a wide selection.
#7 of 11 Old 02-17-2009, 09:09 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Popping in from new posts to share my experiences with modest maternity clothes:

I wore a lot of empire-waist jumpers that were NOT intended to be maternity, but still worked quite fine right until the end, and afterwards. Jumpers that button down the front are fairly easy to nurse in (especially if you wear a shirt OVER the jumper and lift the shirt.) Jumpers with deep armholes are even easier to nurse in- just pull the armhole to the side to nurse, and if you're wearing a button-up blouse underneath, you can leave it unbuttoned in the center for easier nursing access.

I also found that I didn't nurse my toddler as much when pg, and much of that was at home- before bed, middle of the night, first thing in the morning- so most of my pg nursing took place in pajamas or nightgowns, not my regular clothes.

I was able to find a few basic shirts that fit normally- a maternity blouse and a few long sleeved t-shirts (then again, this was 13 years ago and I have no clue what's in the stores today) and wore those with a few skirts I sewed for myself. I was able to re-use the skirts from my first pg, but I needed a bigger size on top.

Ruth, single mommy to 3 quasi-adults
#8 of 11 Old 02-17-2009, 10:00 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the useful information! I'll be checking out all the links and searching the thrift stores for some jumpers for underneath. Why didn't I think of that? Oh, right pregnancy brain.
Thanks again!
#9 of 11 Old 02-17-2009, 10:07 PM

I just wanted to add another thank you for this thread and all the information. I have bought a long skirt from Motherhood maternity and have practically worn it about every day. It is so hard to find tops that cover cleavage, and then skirts that are modest too. I'm about the break out the sewing machine
#10 of 11 Old 02-18-2009, 01:38 AM

I suggest checking thrift stores, children's consignment stores, or traveling consignment sales (like Just Between Friends or Divine Consign). Places like that give you a broader selection of styles and even if you don't buy anything there, you can see what brands generally offer the type of style you like, then Google where it's sold brand new.

Amanda, Wife to James and Mom to Bub (11/00), Gracie (5/02), Brystol (7/09), Elleigh (3/11) and Piper (10/11).  angel1.gif  Missing our angels: Bean (12/[email protected]) Ainsley (10/[email protected]) Zachary (4/[email protected]) Sweet Pea (8/[email protected]) Twin B (12/[email protected]) and Lil Bit (8/[email protected]).

winner.jpgadoptionheart-1.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifselectivevax.gifgoorganic.jpg

#11 of 11 Old 12-31-2016, 11:05 PM

Free Maternity Pattern

If you do sew, you can download a free basic maternity pattern that is based on your pre-maternity sizing and adjust the waist to hip measurement based on your tummy growth with My Sloper Maternity, an easy to use Web application. They have some nice video tutorials on how to design other maternity styles that are modest.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page