Vent: Baby Shower Disappointment - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

#31 of 35 Old 08-24-2009, 10:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
we are expecting our 1st child and had a surprise and 2 planned showers. the surprise shower was thrown by my co-workers where almost everything was purchased from my registry, for which i am very grateful. my 2nd shower was hosted by my mil who with the best intent possible bought way too much (4 car loads from ny to pa which took dh and i hours to open - i was exhausted and the guests were bored). we sorted through everything and made 3 piles one for a yard sale in the next couple weeks, one to return (hope we don't have too many issues with this one-we received a fair number of gift receipts), and another bag to keep. our 3rd shower was very special. my sister brought herbs with her from an organic farm she is working with and had my friends and family bundle the herbs onto a mobile and they shared blessings for our baby (it was very emotional). although many of the gifts weren't off our registry, they were bought with the "natural & green" theme by which we live, so i will be able to use all of them. overall I am very grateful for the baby showers, although I say that before I try to sell and return things we don’t have room/need for.

Angel (30), dh (31) (kd to H. 4/25/07 & K. 5/23/11), Vladimir 10/17/09 & Nikolai 7/6/11

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 35 Old 08-24-2009, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlito's_wife View Post
Well I have never gotten a baby shower before. I always buy people stuff. I don't know what they want then I just do a gift card. But for some reason I am on baby #4 and no one has ever thought to throw me a shower. It is very disappointing, but I guess by now I am just used to it. People don't even send me gifts. My grandma crochets a few blankets, which I looooooove, but other than that I am pretty much on my own.

But I would think that people should try to get you what you ask for. I would be disappointed if I actually got a shower and no one payed any attention at all to my registry list. I always thought the point of a shower was to get people what they needed and to help out. I would be bummed too if I was in your shoes.
i've never had a baby shower, either. my sisters have all had at least one and those that have more than one kid have had one FOR EACH KID! one of my sisters has FIVE KIDS!!!

rule of thumb for baby showers: expect clothes and frills. most people 1) don't 'get' alternative parenting and 2) wanna go all-out cutesy. i always try to give a mom gift and a baby gift at the showers. last time, i made the baby gift and bought the mom a pamper me set from dillards. it had fuzzy socks and soothing bath oils, aromatherapy stuff, candles, etc. i made the babies (twins) some bootie/hat sets. my neice said those were her fav gifts!!!

if i knew i was getting a shower, i'd definitely not expect people to help me outfit a baby with desirables. but, then again i wouldn't REALLY know what to expect LOL

Jen-loving Bill, mama to Teryn 18, Kalyn 16, Ricky 13, Natalie 5, Angel Zoe '07 and rainbow1284.gifAmelia Rae 22 mos bonus kids (dss) W 14, W 13 NEW grandbaby due 10/10/11

#33 of 35 Old 08-24-2009, 02:16 PM

Ugh, that sucks. I am having similar worries about both of my showers coming up. I too feel like an ungrateful witch, but I am going to be SO disappointed if people don't stick to our registry. I am having my first shower on September 4th, and that's going to be the big one. My mother-in-law is throwing it for us (it's a "couple's" shower) and my fiance's entire family is going to be there...and not to sound snooty or whatever, but they are all extremely well off and there are lots of them, so we have pretty high expectations, which might not be for the best. But I expressed my concerns about now getting what we need to my mother-in-law and she pretty much insisted that we hold off on buying any big items (besides the crib) until after the shower because she's so positive that we're going to get a lot of it from her family. BUT, if we DON'T, then we're totally SCREWED because there's no way we're going to be able to afford a ton of big baby items in the last month of my pregnancy. So yeah, I will probably cry if my registry is ignored.

~Ariana Elaine due October 22, 2009~

#34 of 35 Old 08-25-2009, 12:53 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Maybe you could swap with another mom who has a baby due in the spring and an older child with clothes that will be out of season when her lo is born? (May DDC is up . Then there's EBAY and like someone else said, garage sales, or craigslist. Ebay charges too many fees IMHO, I think you'd do better some place else. Also it better to sell clothes close to the season they will be used in.

Don't forget onesies are never out of season, they can be layered (layering is best with a small child anyway, they get hot/cold so quickly), so I'd hang on to those. Little summer dresses and such might work with a little sweater (I bought a couple of those) and some leggings.

With my 1st baby we didn't have a shower but people gave us tons of stuff (mostly used). My mom thought it would be tacky to have a shower for an "unwed mother."

My 2nd the girls at work threw me a little shower of sorts at work, and I got lots of diapers and few clothing items

I don't know if anyone will do anything for this LO, but I've pretty much taken care of it.

I feel your pain though. If I'd been expected to get a lot of things I needed at a shower and got stuff I couldn't use I'd be pretty upset too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 Mommy to 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kai 2/03, 
Caden 1/08, 
 Kara 10/09, 

Cole 2/3/14 &

Coraline 1/25/17 &
3/13,
11/15,
3/16 ♡ Happily unmarried to 
 Papa since 2002 ♡
~We may not have it all together  but together we have it all~ 

#35 of 35 Old 08-11-2020, 12:46 PM

If you consider buying a gift for your baby then I can share with you with this

which is amazing! It's comfy and cosy for my son, it has lots of pockets, the convenient carrying case is attached to the cover and when you put it on the cart it turns into another large pocket. It has a few Velcro attachments for toys, a pretty decent size clear pocket for a cellphone (fits my Galaxy s8 plus with room to spare), and an awesome attachment that holds cups or snack containers that won't allow your child to throw them on to the floor. For the affordable price, this cover is perfect for our family's needs!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page