Red Raspberry Leaf Tea - Mothering Forums

#1 of 33 Old 10-08-2009, 11:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know this has been brought up before, but I'm just curious how many of you have started drinking it. I will be 27 weeks on saturday and just went to the health food store and bought some loose. It was marked Raspberry Leaf instead of Red Raspberry Leaf, but it said "For Female health, uterine tonic" so I'm assuming it's the same thing? I did 2 teaspoons per 1 cup boiling water and let it steep covered for 10 minutes. I am going to aim for 3 cups a day. Sound about right? I used the Traditional Medicinals with my last pregnancy, and I only had a 6-7 hour labor, so maybe it helped? I've heard the loose herb is more potent, but I think that probably depends on how fresh it is... Does anyone know?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 33 Old 10-08-2009, 11:50 PM

Mama to a beautiful baby girl born 01/21/2010
#3 of 33 Old 10-09-2009, 07:43 AM
Banned

What you are saying sounds right. I am going to buy some from an MDC mom who was in my DDC last time round.

I drank RRL last time too and had a 7 hour labor. It was either the tea or the yoga. Or DD was just in a hurry.

http://www.loveandtea.com

Funny story. I went to the health food store and didn't see RRL tea with all their bulk teas so I asked an employee and it turns out you have to buy RRL tea from the drug store by Swiss law!

#4 of 33 Old 10-09-2009, 09:46 AM

I have been drinking it for months. It is not my favorite, but I can take it. So, I tell myself it is like my medicine and I just gulp it down.

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#5 of 33 Old 10-09-2009, 09:54 AM

The RRL tea isn't really my favorite either, but I iced it and added lemon slices to drink throughout the day and I think it is a pretty good improvement.
#6 of 33 Old 10-09-2009, 10:21 AM

I like RRL tea but I was always forgetting to make it so I bought tincture instead. 15-20 drops 2X a day in water.... I leave it next to my water machine and just add it to a little glass when I get myself water...

I did that last pregnancy also and love getting it in that form... and though I like the taste of RRL tea I like the taste of other teas more so I would rather make those instead...

~paxye~
Mama to Xavier (July 02) , Colin (Sept 04), Khéna(Nov 06) & Wilhelmina (Jan 10)
#7 of 33 Old 10-09-2009, 11:18 AM

I drank it alot durring the begining of this pregnancy due to a history of loss and bad morning sickness. I stopped after a while because I couldn't take the tase. I plan on starting to drink it again around 33 weeks until baby comes.

Bec, Married eternally to Dan for ten years. Parents to A (8/17/06) O (12/30/09) one love lost (2/07/09) and my little twin angels (9/24/11, 10/11/11)

#8 of 33 Old 10-09-2009, 12:05 PM

Does anyone know how much you should drink? I've been trying to drink a cup a day (I'm now 25 weeks) but should I be drinking more to get effects?
#9 of 33 Old 10-09-2009, 12:08 PM

I ordered a bulk loose bag from that Frontier place and I just drank my first cup yesterday! I'm doing the iced variety. Boiled 8 cups water and then steeped a few tablespoons in it for about 2 hours. Then I squeezed a fresh orange into the pitcher and into the fridge it went.

I had to add some sugar to my glass but I thought it tasted pretty good.

Anyone feel anything after drinking it? I've heard you can sometimes feel your uterus contracting but nothing happened for me.
#10 of 33 Old 10-09-2009, 12:52 PM

I usually start when I first find out about the pregnancy, but couldn't afford to order some this time until about a month ago so starting at 24 weeks. Since it's the third trimester I am aiming for 3 cups (1 TBS. per cup) a day, though lately I've been only remembering two. I can tell if I forget because I start getting restless legs at night, that extra calcium and magnesium really helps. In past I have saved the strong infusion until labor starts, but am thinking I will do the three wineglassfuls a day starting at 37 weeks this time. I put honey sometimes and orange juice sometimes, the Rainbow Light prenatal I take also has some RRL but the amount listed is confusing so not sure if it's enough to have much of an effect. I really do think the tea helps with length of labor and pain reduction of contractions. My labors with the tea have been 3hr 55min, 5.5 hours, and 5 hours, the one without was 6 hours but highly managed by the OB to get him out by a certain time so not sure how long it would have taken without interference. The last two births were more difficult for me because the babes were posterior and I had a lot of back labour and the pushing stage hurt, but the contractions themselves were not that bad. And yay for no afterpains!

Alicia + James = Gabriel (9), Uriah (7), Ayla (5), Noah (3), Azriel (1), and due Oct. 2011

#11 of 33 Old 10-09-2009, 05:06 PM

I'm aiming for 2-3 8 oz glasses of tea a day.

I brew a large amount of it at one time- 1/4 cup of RRL and 1/4 cup of nettles per 8 cups of water and I keep it in the fridge.

I don't like the taste of it so I mix it 1/4 juice, 1/4 tea and the rest water in a 20 oz mason jar and do that 2-3 times per day.

I only have one labour to go by and that one was 8 hrs of active labour (with a posterior baby), contrations were pretty low on the pain scale (I'd say 6 out of 10) and no afterpains and I started RRL at 34 weeks, 2 cups/day.

The idea with the tea (I forget who asked about amounts) is 1 cup per day per trimester. I'm in my second still so 2 cups is good, but I'm approaching my third so I'm starting to integrate that third cup occasionally so it'll be easier to remember once I hit the third trimester.

I plan to brew a large amount of STRONG tea right when labour starts, too. I'm praying for a fast and easy labour and birth.

Grace - wife to Jeff and mama to Nigella (11/08) and Orrin (01/10)- expecting a new addition (05/12)! Life is a whirlwind, but I'm learning to enjoy the ride!

#12 of 33 Old 10-09-2009, 06:11 PM

I have been wanting to get started. Can I use RRL that comes in tea bags? I am so bad about loose, tea- never get around to actually using it. I bought some organic RRL tea in bags that says it supports a healthy reproductive system...will this be as effective? Do I need to use more than 1 tea bag per mug to make it potent enough?

#13 of 33 Old 10-09-2009, 07:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stella.rose View Post
Does anyone know how much you should drink? I've been trying to drink a cup a day (I'm now 25 weeks) but should I be drinking more to get effects?
That-s what I was wondering. It's virtually impossible to find here in Costa Rica so I got my friends to bring me some when they went home for a visit, and I have enough for one cup a day from now to 40 weeks, and then a big bag loose tea for the day off, to brew a strong solution and knock it back...am I doing this wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEcatlady17 View Post
I have been wanting to get started. Can I use RRL that comes in tea bags? I am so bad about loose, tea- never get around to actually using it. I bought some organic RRL tea in bags that says it supports a healthy reproductive system...will this be as effective? Do I need to use more than 1 tea bag per mug to make it potent enough?
Good questions...I am curious too, because I am having one tea bag in a standard size coffee cup and letting it sit for 10-15.

AM I crazy...I LOVE the taste of this tea...I use a teaspoon of sugar have it with a wee biscuit and I am happy as Larry. I loved my nursing mom tea too!

Rebekah - mom to Ben 03/05 and Emily 01/10, a peace educator, and a veg*n and wife to Jamie.
#14 of 33 Old 10-09-2009, 10:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEcatlady17 View Post
This is what I used last time around so I don't see why not. I used 1 tea bag per mug but I let it steep a while longer than I normally would. Add a little honey and it is yummy IMO.
#15 of 33 Old 10-09-2009, 11:22 PM

I really like the taste of it too, drank it pre-pregnancy cause I liked it and then while TTC I got into drinking it regularly pre-O cause I heard it might help with my fertility...seemed to do the trick I am going to start drinking it daily, just need to remember to do so. Easier now that it is getting so cold here. So it sounds like 2-3 cups a day is what is recommended?

#16 of 33 Old 10-09-2009, 11:44 PM

I think it's tasty, too - especially cold. Mine's mixed with nettles, alfalfa, oat straw and spearmint, chamomile and rosehips, too - so it's sort of like minty grass. I'm supposed to drink four cups a day, then six cups later.
#17 of 33 Old 10-10-2009, 01:07 AM

Semi related- I'm buying my tea lose in bags, and my RRL is also labelled "raspberry tea"- but does anyone know if "oats" is the same as oat straw?

RE: bags vs. loose- yes, you can definitely use bags! For a lot of people, it's all they can find/afford and for others it's more convenient. I've heard it's not as strong so you may want to brew it longer. That said, I used the teabags my last pregnancy and found them to be INCREDIBLY strong (I used Traditional Medicinals), so maybe the strength is related to brand?

I'm using loose this time around because I'm mixing it with nettles, sometimes lemon balm, and plan to mix in alfalfa and oat straw eventually so loose works better for me

I've heard that RRL is a good all-around tea for women from puberty through menopause.... Too bad I think it's gross.

Grace - wife to Jeff and mama to Nigella (11/08) and Orrin (01/10)- expecting a new addition (05/12)! Life is a whirlwind, but I'm learning to enjoy the ride!

#18 of 33 Old 10-10-2009, 12:10 PM

I like the taste too.

I have been drinking it since about 16 wks but don't remember every day. I have been drinking it more regular now since it is getting cold here. I plan to do 3 to 4 cups per day through the rest of my pregnancy and do the strong infusion during labor. I don't want to start it too soon in labor because my labors tend to be quick anyway and I want my midwife to be able to make it. She will be driving 3 hours to get here.

Rachel
Mommy to DS13, DS12, DS7, DD5, DD3, and twin GIRLS : born at home in the water on 12/18/09
#19 of 33 Old 10-10-2009, 01:16 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I started drinking it around 22 weeks this time. I was around 20 weeks with DS and 28 weeks with DD2.

I buy loose leaf tea and let it steep overnight. I do a RRL and nettles infusion. I drink about 2-3 cups a day.

Aeona - married to super hot nerd Toby . . . mama to Grace (10) Evangeline (8) Duncan 11.14.08
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Henry (5) born at home and Ruby, 11.27.14.

#20 of 33 Old 10-11-2009, 04:01 AM
Dea

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I don't mind the taste of mine, but I do mix my own herbs, I have RRL, nettles, oatstaw, red clover, alfalfa and mint or lemon. I also just bought some orange herbal tea to mix in too. (I love to make my own mixes...)

Deadra, Wife to Adam , Mama to Beatrix (02/08), Hudson (01/10), and Mazarine (12/13)
#21 of 33 Old 10-18-2009, 11:31 PM - Thread Starter

So for those of you who are mixing in nettles, how much of that do you use? And if you make an infusion that you steep overnight, how do you heat it up, if you do? I enjoy drinking hot tea, but I worry that microwaving it would zap it's medicinal properties. Stovetop?
#22 of 33 Old 10-20-2009, 01:58 PM

I made my own mix with loose herbs. So RRL, alfalfa, nettle and mint. I like it it just taste minty. I drink 2 cups but i'm starting my third trimester this week, so I'll have to think about adding another cup. But I was wondering, since the herbs are mixed do I have to drink more to get the benefits of the RRL? And also for the labor infusion should I just do the RRL?

Memz, with mylove.gif and mommy  of babygirl.gif born 01/17/10 and 3 cat.gif familybed1.gifsaynovax.giffly-by-nursing1.gif

***4** *8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36**stork-boy.gif40

#23 of 33 Old 10-20-2009, 02:22 PM

I would probably just add in more RRL. Although nettles is really good for you too, so it wouldn't hurt to increase that as well!

For the labour infusion, it's usually just RRL- but again, nettles is good for you so it wouldn't hurt.

#24 of 33 Old 10-20-2009, 07:54 PM

I have been drinking it on & off since the 2nd trimester started. I normally drink it year round, iced with agave...I RRL. I buy mine in bulk from Frontier organics. It was around $10 for a pound.

I have long labors & tons of bleeding after each birth, so I drink it because I am so sick of water at this point.

A doula who married a cop & became a mama to 3 boys: G 12/22/00, my rainbow baby B 2/2/07 and L 2/10/10 my CBA2V baby, waiting for my little caboose late February 2013 & always remembering my two angels 2006 & 2012.

#25 of 33 Old 10-20-2009, 08:35 PM

I didn't see if anyone answered the how much rrl tea to drink. My midwife said at least one cup a day when I asked. I mentioned I loved tea and worried about drinking too much of it, but she said that wasn't a problem.

SAHM to DD (May/07) and DS (Jan/10)
#26 of 33 Old 10-21-2009, 11:04 AM

I have a question about the effects of the tea. I swear it gives me a buzz similar to but less pleasant than caffeine. Is this possible?

I feel like my heart races after I drink it and I feel kind of shaky. I'm just doing the tea bag kind and letting it steep for about 15 minutes.
#27 of 33 Old 10-21-2009, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshadow View Post
I didn't see if anyone answered the how much rrl tea to drink. My midwife said at least one cup a day when I asked. I mentioned I loved tea and worried about drinking too much of it, but she said that wasn't a problem.
https://www.mothering.com/pregnancy-b...berry-leaf-tea

It said to drink 1 cup a day in 2nd trimester & 3 cups in 3rd trimester

A doula who married a cop & became a mama to 3 boys: G 12/22/00, my rainbow baby B 2/2/07 and L 2/10/10 my CBA2V baby, waiting for my little caboose late February 2013 & always remembering my two angels 2006 & 2012.

#28 of 33 Old 10-22-2009, 05:42 AM

I used it last pregnancy and it did nothing for me. I tried an infusion to help jump start contractions after my water broke and nothing happened. Ended up projectile vomiting all over my kitchen right before leaving for the hospital. TMI I know, but it was an experience I won't forget nor try again.
#29 of 33 Old 10-22-2009, 08:41 AM

I have been brewing two parts RRL to one part nettle, plus either one mint tea bag or one fruity/berry tea bag. I am not hip on the taste of just the herbs. I would be putting alfalfa in there if I could find it. Aiming for about a quart a day (3ish cups) now that I am in the third trimester, probably more than that when I am a week or two out from my due date.

Expat mama to my 7-year-old Halloween boy and my cheeky preschooler, who came before the midwife in January 2010... Gestating a new bean, debuting spring 2014!
#30 of 33 Old 10-22-2009, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
I have a question about the effects of the tea. I swear it gives me a buzz similar to but less pleasant than caffeine. Is this possible?

I feel like my heart races after I drink it and I feel kind of shaky. I'm just doing the tea bag kind and letting it steep for about 15 minutes.
Are you sure you're really drinking "red raspberry leaf" tea and not just a raspberry flavored tea? I made that mistake initially. I went into a _tea shop_ and asked for it by name and they gave me raspberry flavored tea. The RRL has no caffeine, but the other does since it's made from a black tea.

DD#1 arrived 2/7/10!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page