My First Birth Story (July 07) - Mothering Forums

#1 of 6 Old 03-06-2010, 09:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am posting this by request. Not the most MDCish birth story, but its mine, and it was still wonderful. I feel a bit dumb when I look back at how interventionist everything was, but I guess that's how my son needed to come into the world. I had very bad post traumatic stress after I got into an accident, and his birth healed me. No editing from me - yes I was a bit ridiculous about some things the first time around .

This was my birth story:

I had a false BH alarm 37.5 weeks I went to the hospital for - contractions were every 3 min, some were painful, and I was leaking fluid. After 1 hr of monitoring (and apparently VERY strong and regular BH), they let me go.

At 38 weeks I was in a car accident. I was hit by a tractor trailer on the highway and walked away unhurt - a miracle! I went back for monitoring, but there were no consistent contractions as long as I was resting.

At 38.5 weeks, I had my regular appt and they saw my fluid was low and my son was measuring small. I was a wreck after my car wreck and so stressed, I knew the low fluid was because of my hostile internal environment emotionally and also because of a possible water leak. They decided to induce me and had me admitted the first thing next morning.

Day 1- hand pitocin all day, but contractions did not get painful... I went from 1-2 cm to 2-3 cm at the end of the day when they finally took me off and let me eat at rest at the hospital. My body just wasn't ready yet.

Day 2: At about 6:30 the next morning they gave me a pill of hormone in my cervix - prostoglandin or something I think, which helped me efface, and around lunchtime they decided to break my water. Then I finally started to feel some good contractions! They asked me if I wanted an epidural so I asked to be checked, and I was already 4 cm. Thinking that I would take them sometime to get set up, I figured I'd better sign up for mine so it would be effective by the time I needed it, and DH (who had taken notes) said 3-5 cm was the best time to do it. The guy was there instantaneously, and did an excellent job - the 3 contractions I had during the epidural hurt more than his needles! But with the epi, it seemed like my contractions stalled out again, and around 5 pm they decided to add pitocin. The doc was kind of grave, saying implying I had a narrow pelvis and reminding me I would need to deliver within 24 hrs of breaking water, and I was really starting to wonder if they were going to make me have a c-section.
About an hour later, 6 pm, I found a special about Patriots football on TV with highlights from the superbowls they won, the adrenaline was going, and I started to be able to feel a bit of my contractions through the epidural!! (It only took a couple of clicks on the epidural wand to take care of that ) The new doc on call stopped by and checked me and I was at 8 cm, station 0, and 100% effaced!!! He said I should be ready in a couple of hours. At about 8 pm, I asked for the nurse to check me since I was starting to feel pressure, and she said I was almost complete, and said she'd be back in 20 min. She went to set things up and she came back and checked and then said we should try pushing. After about 2 or 3 contractions, she came back with the doctor, set up the stirrups - I grabbed each of my legs, and in about 2 or 3 more contractions, Gabe was here!!! at 8:41 pm!!! The doc was shocked it had gone so quickly, and congratualating me for pushing so well... I was suprised how awesome the epi was. I could feel Gabriel, and my upper stomach to push, but not the pain. I could move my legs - though one was "heavier" than the other.

I got to hold Gabe right away. Then they cleaned and weighed him in room, then gave him to me and he nursed right away. They never took him away again until the very last day. He slept with me the whole time - they didn't even have a nursery! Really for a hospital birth, they did some really great things to respect our bonding.

~ Professor Mama to Gabito (July '07) & Danita (April '10) ~
A PhD = + +
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 03-07-2010, 05:26 AM

There is no reason to feel dumb for this story! It was a nice story
#3 of 6 Old 03-07-2010, 09:34 AM

yay, carita! thanks for posting your sweet story. i like the part about football getting you going. i hadn't realized there's a negative side to delivering in the spring - i could totally be into watching a good game during early labor!

anyway, so sorry that you had a stressful time with the car accident and fears following. it must have been a really difficult time, not knowing how gabe might be impacted by it all.

obviously, your body protected him and did a great job bringing him into the world !

me+him for 15 yrs, welcomed our little one march 25th, 2010.

#4 of 6 Old 03-07-2010, 04:23 PM

I think you should be proud and happy. Congratulations!!!!
#5 of 6 Old 03-07-2010, 04:27 PM

If you liked it and you got a baby in the end, then it's a good labour.

Heidi mum to Isaac (06/06), Matea (04/08), and Naomi (04/10)
#6 of 6 Old 03-07-2010, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks girls - that is so sweet - that actually means a lot to me. I will say after the doc threatened the c-section, I put that hospital bed as close to standing up as possible while watching that football game. I think the combo did the trick. Amazing what will get our bodies going, huh? I went from 4 cm to holding my son in cm 2.5 hrs!

Also, its not clear from above, but the doc who delvered my son was not the same one who threated the c/s - I think he only threatened because it was shift change time... & boy am I glad. The doc who delivered us was very nice - but actually not even a part of the practice, just happened to be there on call.

~ Professor Mama to Gabito (July '07) & Danita (April '10) ~
A PhD = + +

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page