Mothering Forum banner

If you use a paci

1K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  ann_of_loxley 
#1 ·
Well, if your LO uses a paci...

What type?

Orthodontic, or more nipple shaped?

L is not loving the paci, and I didn't know if using an orthodontic one might be better because maybe since it's less like a nipple she wouldn't be expecting milk. But then again, I only use it when I think she doesn't really want milk in the first place. And I don't want to mess up her latch, it's still not perfect and I don't want to make it worse.

Experiences? Thoughts?

#2 ·
I was just telling DH that they just don't make them nipple shaped enough. He said someone should invent a way that they can make a mould of your nipple and turn into a soother for your baby...lmao!

Cause - Hamish isn't loving it either. I don't think they sell anything other than orthodontic here though?...Whats the difference? Link me to your nipple shaped ones! lol I want to see what those look like!

I would totally find if he didn't really want one - but hes a sucky baby and he sucks on me for comfort which comes with its own added problems (like the fact he doesn't actually want the milk ....and sucking on me for comfort just adds to my already abundant supply....etc)

He seems to be sucking on his hands when he is tired....I helped him find his thumb yesterday but then he cried! I imainge thats a strange sensation the first time around! lol I would be totally fine if he took a finger as well - but from what I have seen, that usually takes them months to figure out!

#3 ·
So I am googling and have come across this one called a 'gum drop'...looks interesting. Not sure about it being scented though...only in America right?! lol...

What about a wubba nub? Maybe my little man would prefer to hold onto something with a soother in his mouth? Hmmm.....

Apparently these are 'nipple' shaped soothers.

#4 ·
We've tried the Soothie, we've tried the Binky, we've tried the Playtex brand, we've tried the Mam. I guess Cecilia just isn't a paci kind of girl. Sometimes, very rarely, I can get her to take the Mam while in the car, if she's swaddled tightly. But that is super rare too

#5 ·
I had an LC give me a pacifier (for suck training with Sprout) and said the orthodonic weren't so good. She gave me a Soothie (those ones where you can see into the baby's mouth, which is just weird).

It took a couple tries, but we finally got him to take it in the car. Thank goodness, because we weren't going anywhere because of the screaming!

#7 ·
ann- the soothie is what we have.

Glad my baby isn't the only baby that hates the paci. I just wish she'd take it in the car instead of SCREAMING!

We have about 5 hours of car time today. Should be fun. right.

#8 ·
jeez, Rhi, we really DO have the same baby
. I woke up thinking about writing this thread!
I've been trying to figure it out, because she took it in the hospital when we had to send her to the nursery for a few hours (even though at the time we didn't want her to take a pacifier). Then I haven't had any luck getting her to take one myself, even though my nipples were dying and never running out of milk so S was always getting way too full. Sometimes I could trick her into taking it for a minute, but only when she was milk drunk and half asleep and I still had to have it jammed up against my breast.
GRRR.
BUT! Last night DH got her to take it for a good long while. It was amazing, so soothing and calm. Then I got her to take it for over an hour! It was like a miracle!!

I'm not sure but I think it's because I started taking a sage tincture to slow down my milk supply a bit. It's still like a firehose letdown here but I am noticing a difference for both of us

Gotta go but let me know if you want the details, it's only been 48 hours but I think we are seeing improvement! Oversupply, I'm convinced, is another kind of nightmare - poor little DD was gulping and choking, and now she seems like she can nurse until she's full rather than until she falls asleep but is full of foremilk only and totally gassy.
She slept much better, too!
Oh and the pacis she seemed to like best are the Avent (not sure what model), the gum drop (dont' think it's scented? came from the hospital) and the kind that sort of angle up towards the roof of her mouth. She seems to have to have the nipple angled up that way to latch onto it.
Oh and I had to trick her by using my pinkie first (which she wouldn't do until this weekend either) and then swap out the paci. And she still won't take it if she's just not inclined, and if I try to force it she tends to barf

Good luck!!

#9 ·
Becky will only take the Nuk Orthodontic Latex (not silicone), but it took a lot of trial and error before we found it. She will only take it from DH, if I am out of the room. A friend of ours gave us a ziplock bag of different kinds (they had had the same issue) so we sterilized them and just went through them. I wanted her to like the Soothie ones, since they have cuter pacifier clips.

#10 ·
i don't know what brands i have (just whatever i can pick up at walmart, target and the grocery store) but R doesn't like the ones that are shaped like the gumdrop. the nipple is waaaayyyy to straight and the bulbus part that connects to the part that sticks out of the mouth makes it even worse for him to try and latch onto. the ones that are shaped for the tongue depression already and then get THINNER at the end are the ones he likes. i actually just bought one pack before he was born and just figured we'd see how it goes. i've bought 3 other kinds so far that ds doesn't like at all...weird how the first one was the right one. i am just trying to find something better though. the ones like the gumdrop i would like him to use if they had the orthodontic look, i bought some others that are encased in the same soft plastic but they have the wrong nipple, i bought the kind of nipple he likes but the face piece isn't curved so it gets caught on EVERYTHING so it's kinda pointless! gaaahhh! i need to take those back to the store though too so i can keep experimenting. darn things are expensive!

#11 ·
We currently use the Natursutten: http://www.thesoftlanding.com/nanaruropa03.html

NOW, before you rail about a $10 binkie, I got it on clearance at Babies R Us for $5
It was a fancy spoil gift from me to the new baby, heehee.

Here's the deal in our house: We have had 4 babies, two of whom were foster babies & those two had bad reflux/sensitive gag reflexes. I did not even bother to try using an orthodontic binkie w/ the new baby b/c the other three WAY WAY preferred the old-fashioned bulb style binkies. Gerber makes them: http://www.duny-diaper-bags.com/firs...005C0KDID.html You have to go to a more "low rent" type of store, like Wal-Mart or your local grocery to find them. BRU, Target, etc do not stock this type of binkie.

I also bought a pack of these: http://www.playtexbaby.com/Products/...s.aspx?id=1026 They are straight cylinders to simulate mom's nipple, but the lack of bulb on the end means that dd2 has nothing to "grab on to" in her mouth & they pop right back out. I found that Soothies often have the same problem. The true bulb shape makes ALL the difference!

#12 ·
So how long do you keep trying? Henry is almost 6 weeks and will not take a soother. Mind you, I have only tried the Avent and Nuk and he gags on both. I don't want to spend a fortune trying pacis if it's too late, but there are some times that it would be really really nice if he could be comforted by one.

#13 ·
L is 5.5 weeks and finally took it from me some today in the car (thank goodness, as we drove 5-6 hours total today!).

The trick that accidentally worked for me today was to wait until she was aaaaalmost asleep, and then to just put it against her lips. She did the same thing she does to my nipple when she's half asleep- kind of moved her mouth over it. I ended up sitting with it just in between her lips. She seemed to like that comfort, but she wasn't expecting any milk.

#14 ·
I introduced one on day 1 of life. She took to it right away and used it for about 2 weeks and then suddenly stopped. We've had very little success getting her to take it again. I think I now own every paci on the market.
We've had recent luck with getting her to take this one for short bits of time
http://www.planetpleasinggoods.com/c...ct_detail&p=56

Of course, my DD would take to the $9 pacifier....they have them at babies r us. Before that one we had the most success with the MAM kind, which was the same kind DD1 took for the brief time she took a paci. I guess my nipple is shaped like that??

Ann - I love your idea. There have been many times over the years where I was just willing to slice off my boob and give it to her just so I wouldn't have to feel the sucking anymore.

#15 ·
I think I've realized part of the problem for Cecilia. In spite of us nursing nigh on constantly, I have relatively short nipples. She just isn't used to anything going far into her little mouth, and she gags and chokes on pacis. I totally want Ann's idea to be marketed!

#16 ·
Our first child really took to the Nuk pacifiers with no problem. Our second child refused any and all pacifiers. Our third child finally took to the Avent pacifier, though it took us trying a number of kinds before we found one he would take. He used it a lot as a baby, but as he became more mobile, he wasn't as interested in it. He's now 17 months and before the baby was born, he'd only use it while sleeping. He's been wanting it a bit since the baby and we let him have it a little bit. We've been trying the Avent pacifier with the new baby and he's OK with it. He seems to have a 'take it or leave it' attitude in that he's not sold on it, but he'll take it for a short while.

So, in the end, I am saying that you may have to try a few before finding a pacifier your child likes or you may have a child who won't take a pacifier no matter what.

#17 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ann_of_loxley View Post
I was just telling DH that they just don't make them nipple shaped enough. He said someone should invent a way that they can make a mould of your nipple and turn into a soother for your baby...lmao!

DDC crashing from March

My husband said the exact same thing.

anyway, I bought a whole butt load of Avent orthodontic ones. They aren't as weird shaped as some I've seen and the shield part doesn't mold to his face like some do. I can't deal with the ones that stick to his face

I would have bought the Natursutten ones but I can't deal with the price tag since I know we need to have enough of them to make up for lost ones

#19 ·
I've been lurking on this thread.
DD1 would never take a paci. She wound up sucking on her fingers instead, and that was one hell of a habit to break!
Now DD2 won't take a paci, but I haven't tried the soothie yet.
When I try to get her to take the other pacifier, she opens her mouth wider like she's nursing and seems to get frustrated that it's so small, so a soothie might work.
During the day, I can't decide whether or not to push the paci issue (I'm not fond of them in general, but my boobs could use a break!).
At 2am when she wants to comfort suck, though, I always find myself wishing I'd have gone to Babies R Us while they were still open..

#20 ·
I got him to take one yesterday for quite awhile AFTER he went to the boob to comfort suck. When he kept popping off and trying to drift off to sleep - I snuck it in. It seemed to work. But of course - hasn't worked today at all :|...

I just do not think he is going to take one. And I bought four different varieties yesterday too to try out! I personally think they are all too long as well...I know he sucks my nipple back in there a bit but it is a much softer mouldable thing.

I am not even sure I want to give that gumdrop one a try...feels like more money down the drain at the moment.

I know it wont be like this forever - but I am ill, I need to use the toilet, have a shower and please just let me put you dowwwnnnn!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.