canceled my 6 1/2 wk "viability" U/S - Mothering Forums

#1 of 5 Old 10-19-2009, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
I called to ask if we could do it abdominally, and they said no. I asked the purpose of it, and they said to date the pregnancy. I explained to the nurse I've been charting and know exactly how far I am, at the latest, 6w 1d now, and she believed me and canceled the appt. Next (first) appt will be mid-Nov to do all the labs, pap smear, etc, and hear the heartbeat on the doppler. That seems so far away and I was soo looking forward to seeing what's growing inside me, but I guess it will have to wait. I'll see the doctor at 13w for I'm not sure what reason. Guess I won't have an actual U/S until I'm much farther along?

At any rate, I am much relieved we won't have to attempt the stirrup position with my injured back this week, and risk me jumping out of the saddle as I can't help doing every time. That would be excruciating. God, please help me get through that pap smear in November. I haven't been taking much of the pain meds or valium for my back, and have just been bearing the pain mostly for the sake of my baby. I guess, since the paramedics will transport me anyway, I could take a double dose that day to get me really relaxed. Am I terrible?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 10-19-2009, 02:06 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Terrible for canceling the 6.5 week u/s? It sounds smart to me! I wouldn't want to deal with it with back problems, but I've never had an u/s during pregnancy at all. The early one is just for dating and maybe to see a heartbeat. Since you already know the date, it would really just be for the heck of it, so you're fine. I know seeing the heartbeat is really reassuring, but you have to make a choice here - pain to see heartbeat, or trust and wait?

If it helps, I decline the pap smear as well. Of course my pelvis is large enough, and I get a pap smear at my physical, so I don't think it's necessary during pregnancy. I've always had normal results and don't expect they would be different now!

Or did you mean terrible for the pain meds? I know nothing about that, but I think if you are following your HCP advice in that respect you should be safe.

Mama to Nov '08 and June '10
#3 of 5 Old 10-19-2009, 04:28 PM

The paps are only generally done because a lot of women don't bother getting them regularly and only remember when they go in for pregnancy (bad women! bad bad!! ALWAYS get a regular pap and pelvic!! PSA over). If you are getting them regularly with your physicals then there is no reason to get another one just because you are pregnant. Lucky me, I get them three times a year.

I was wondering if the problem with doing a vaginal scan was because of your back. I couldn't imagine it being comfy or even safe for you scootching down in stirrups being in that kind of pain.

survivor. Missing my three miracles 12-30-09

#4 of 5 Old 10-21-2009, 07:07 AM

bananabee, can they do the pap AFTER your back surgery? I mean, having to lift your legs up into the stirrups would, I imagine, be excruciating. And unless it's been years since you've had one, can't it wait until, say, January? (I'm a huge promoter of PAPs, but geez, you're in so much pain!)

scifi-convention runners Kate, DH Drew 11/07, DD Cora 12/97. We , ,
Welcome to baby Fiona with a giant omphalocele, 6/17/10!
#5 of 5 Old 10-21-2009, 12:20 PM

If they could do the pap while you were still under the anesthesia for the back surgery, that would be excellent!

Quote:
bad women! bad bad!! ALWAYS get a regular pap and pelvic!! PSA over
LOL I was due for the pap smear in October (yes, of last year) and I called for an appointment and they said they couldn't get me in until January. I said pffft on that, I'll call another gyn. And promptly forgot. My selection is kinda narrowed b/c I won't use male gyns. ( Why would you get your car repaired by someone who has only ever owned a bike?) When you are pregnant though, the doctor will see you now

Lisa DH Pat DS Liam DS Jamessigncirc1.gif

Missing DD Lily 6/17/10- 12/13/12

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page