No One Wears Maternity Clothes Anymore - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

#31 of 60 Old 02-24-2010, 02:24 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I wear maternity clothes when I can't fit into my normal clothes anymore. Going up a size doesn't work because there are usually specific areas that are growing so going up sizes doesn't make the clothes fit the way they should.

I went to the KMart near my house and they have a sign up that says it's the maternity section. I looked all over that area. It was the plus size section. There were no clothes made for pregnancy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 60 Old 02-24-2010, 02:32 PM
MJB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I guess I have fake woman hips then.
I like the cute new maternity clothes (an improvement from my first pregnancy in '02), my only complaint is the spandex. Won't someone think of us poor women with spandex allergies?
Today I'm rocking jeans with the button rubberbanded, which looks like my only option. I actually can wear all my normal pants standing, but when I sit down they put too much pressure on my belly. At 17 weeks I haven't gained anything but belly, which is a nice change from last time where my thighs and butt blew up like a balloon at the start (with my first I had nothing but belly the whole time). I might try to make a belly band from a cotton/poly t-shirt. I think my shirts are long enough to last a good while. And I don't really mind having some belly showing in the summer, assuming I'm in casual settings. I think round bellies are adorable.
#33 of 60 Old 02-24-2010, 02:44 PM

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
MJB,

I just meant that my hips spread since I have had children. I used to be more straight up and down..now I have wider hips. Clothing seems to be made for mannequins, and this is a complaint of a lot of women I talk with..that clothing styles aren't made much for ladies above a size 6. I'm thin, but I'm not a 6. That's all.

Blessed Christian Wife and Homeschooling Mother to 10 children.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

‘To someone whose god is science, vaccination makes sense. But to someone whose god is God, it is appalling’ - Dr. Golden.

#34 of 60 Old 02-24-2010, 03:05 PM

I agree about the suckage of low rise. I hate showing my crack, or my thong. normally i have no butt and low rise just look terrible on me. I can deal with mid rise pants but not while preggo

Nicki wife to Rich, Mama to 7 y/o DS, and a beautiful Princess Aug 2010
#35 of 60 Old 02-24-2010, 03:26 PM

I used to wonder why so many pregnant women around here dressed so poorly, with bellies hanging out and such. Now I know it's just that we have no maternity stores! Seriously -- the closest is about an hour's drive, and none of our regular stores have maternity sections (except the SuperTarget -- again, 45 minute's drive and the selection in maternity there is one rack).

#36 of 60 Old 02-24-2010, 03:41 PM
MJB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyFillingQuiver View Post
MJB,

I just meant that my hips spread since I have had children. I used to be more straight up and down..now I have wider hips. Clothing seems to be made for mannequins, and this is a complaint of a lot of women I talk with..that clothing styles aren't made much for ladies above a size 6. I'm thin, but I'm not a 6. That's all.
Eh, the "REAL woman" thing is just a pet peeve for me. I've birthed 2 children and I'm still a hipless, assless size 2. I understand complaining about the way clothes are made, but to say you have "REAL woman hips" is sort of insulting to us real women who happen to be less curvy (aside from pregnancy D-cups!)
#37 of 60 Old 02-24-2010, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter

I was an hour glass shape before kids, and while most things go back, my hips are such that I cannot wear smaller than a 7...the spread never quite went back, lol.

I really want some maxi dresses!!! I found one i loved on ON, but by the time I went to buy it online, it was only available in S. I've googled and they all come up EXPENSIVE! (So, FMQ, make me one, too!!!)

It's good to know I'm in good company. I'm glad tents aren't in style anymore, but I'm not super modish either.

Carry on, pregnant women!

caution: one-handed nak

typos likely

#38 of 60 Old 02-24-2010, 04:02 PM

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Sorry, didn't mean to offend.

Recently, there have been more campaigns for clothing, natural cosmetics and haircare and skin care and such that are identifying curvy women, women with non-flat-ironed hair, women of color/mixed races, etc., as being "real women". Since most women in our nation (and around the world) are not a size 6, white, blonde-blue eyed with silky straight locks, they tend to identify less with the popular advertising that women fit that look..

Again, I didn't mean to offend, but I do appreciate when women are identified as coming in many shapes and colors...and the current styles do not support that.

I guess we're all bugged by some stereotype! My stereotype peeve is that women who have children/are pregnant would want to wear lo-rise jeans and tight babydoll t-shirts that are the size that 10 years ago seemed to be juniors styles and sizing. Nope, I like to be somewhat covered up, yet feminine and fashionable..I like to garden, play, nurse, cook, clean and teach in fashions different from that stereotype.

Blessed Christian Wife and Homeschooling Mother to 10 children.

‘To someone whose god is science, vaccination makes sense. But to someone whose god is God, it is appalling’ - Dr. Golden.
#39 of 60 Old 02-24-2010, 04:59 PM

I just found this mom-owned business that converts your jeans to maternity with 2 band options for a reasonable price (about $17-$25 depending on your options). The website is http://www.belly-jeans.com. She's got 6 kids, so something tells me she might have a good idea about making them have a good fit!

Planning a homebirth with our first in August · EDD 8/18
#40 of 60 Old 02-24-2010, 05:23 PM

It's really hard to find maternity clothes for plus sized women in my area. Apparently the gals size 16 and over never get pregnant. There is one store that I know of that has a TEENY section for plus sized maternity clothes. So I'm of the mind of why give them my business if they can't see to cater to me more. I'll simply go into a plus sized store and buy a larger size.

Don't trust anyone under 5! Mom to 3 boys under 5. Blogging to save my sanity.
#41 of 60 Old 02-24-2010, 05:47 PM

Joyster - If you lived here, I would send you to the second hand store where I just sold a huge stack of plus size maternity pants for a measly $20! I wish I'd saved them and sent them to you mamas that need them!

I went to motherhood maternity today. It sucked. I hated everything. I have no shirts. Pants, I'm good on. A friend is lending me two pairs of mat pants that are too big for her. And I bought one. Soon it will be warm and I have a few options for capris plus my skirts are all a little big so I think I will ba able to make them work. But shirts! That's my dilemma. I hav a few that will be long enough, but I hate the way lame maternity shirts. I cant have a line in the middle of it either because I have GIGANTIC BOOBS.
#42 of 60 Old 02-24-2010, 05:55 PM
LZP

Quote:
Originally Posted by matey View Post
but I hate the way lame maternity shirts. I cant have a line in the middle of it either because I have GIGANTIC BOOBS.
This is me. I ordered a LOT of stuff from Old Navy online last week. It came Monday. I tried it all on. then cried. MAYBE 3 out of the 10 shirts I ordered fit right. The others just make me look like a fat cow. Even if I stick out my stomach, it still just looks frumpy and lumpy. UGH. so, now i have to pay to ship back all this stuff (which was on sale anyway, so I wont even get a ton back) and I still dont have shirts that work! The XLs are snug on the boobs, and everywhere else, look like a tent. it's aweful. I usually wear an XL, so I thought that they would fit right. not so.

add to that- I have 2 prs mat jeans, but just got one pair of acceptable mat work pants. the other pants I'm using the rubber band trick, and the fly doesnt go up all the way- and I dont have enough long tanks to cover it up. in other words, I'm doing the old XYZ every 5 minutes if I'm not at my desk... except when I'm forgetting to XYZ, and then people are getting a glimpse of my new boy shorts. HA!

I did however find out there is a Motherhood Outlet sort of near me (within an hour drive) so I might check that out soon!

Our 2 big new Targets have 1 rack of maternity. the older target has like 3 racks! WOW.

I hope I can find some decent stuff that doesnt cost a fortune to get me through the summer. skirts and dresses wont be a problem, but I need a cardigan for my freezing office, and some shorts and pants... right now, low rise just makes an incredibly muffin top.

The babymoon isn't over! Our long awaited A born 7/18/10, making us laugh and smile every day.
#43 of 60 Old 02-24-2010, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannic View Post
So I went in to a newish (within the past yr) clothing store to get a new tnak top (they have a brand I like) and I asked the clerk is they carried maternity clothes. She said they had for a few months but nobody bought them so they took them out. She said nobody wears maternity clothes anymore, just longer tanks for underneath and bigger sizes as you grow. I mentioned pants and she said most use a new type of jeans that has a lounge-type waist and showed me some. "You could wear this or this or this..."

Seriously? People don't buy clothes made for pregnancy anymore? I am 5'4", 130 lbs prepreg with a short torso and the capacity to grow big babies and bust. I cannot imagine what size clothes I'd have to buy in un-maternity clothes. As it is, I can get into xlg mat tops just to cover the belly.

So, do you or do you not wear maternity clothes while pregnant? Are mat clothes passe? Is the younger gen of moms doing this? Or everyone? (I'm 30 and still think of myself as a young mom, but I know the 18-20 yr old moms think I'm "seasoned") If so, what are you wearing?

Initially I thought she was just excusing her lack of mat options. (Not a mat store in sight, if you don't count wlmt). But then I was wondering if I was committing some fashion crimes and wanted to know.
WalMarts discontinuing their maternity line too. Not that I liked their stuff anyways, but still one less option out there.

I get all my stuff at a local second hand store. They have an awesome selection and great prices, I think the owner trolls other second hand stores for her inventory.

Heathyr hang.gifBlessed Catholic Wife to DHwheelchair.gif Devoted Mama to DS1 biglaugh.gif(3/17/08) and DS2blowkiss.gif (8/5/2010)familybed1.gifcd.giflactivist.gifribboncesarean.gifx2 
#44 of 60 Old 02-24-2010, 09:45 PM

I loved Motherhood Maternity and A Pea in the Pod! I also got a few things from a store on eBay and Nordies. Such cute clothes but APITP was kind of pricey. I did get several pairs of slacks from them.

No local stores had maternity when I was pg. It was so frustrating.
#45 of 60 Old 02-25-2010, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matey View Post
Joyster - If you lived here, I would send you to the second hand store where I just sold a huge stack of plus size maternity pants for a measly $20! I wish I'd saved them and sent them to you mamas that need them!

I went to motherhood maternity today. It sucked. I hated everything. I have no shirts. Pants, I'm good on. A friend is lending me two pairs of mat pants that are too big for her. And I bought one. Soon it will be warm and I have a few options for capris plus my skirts are all a little big so I think I will ba able to make them work. But shirts! That's my dilemma. I hav a few that will be long enough, but I hate the way lame maternity shirts. I cant have a line in the middle of it either because I have GIGANTIC BOOBS.
That's a sweet thought, thank you.

In the warmer weather I tend to get by with a lot of forgiving skirts. Fortunately the store I go to also has a lot of activewear, so yoga pants for me in the cooler weather.

Motherhood is the one maternity store in my parts that carries plus sized clothes, but honestly the rack is probably no bigger than my computer desk, I wish I were kidding. And of course have the shirt have those silly lines across the middle where someone with an A or B cup would fit perfectly into. As for me, I'm a G and gaining (I'm so thrilled about this...not!) and so needless to say, those shirts look insane on me, unless I hoist my breasts up to my chin. lol

Don't trust anyone under 5! Mom to 3 boys under 5. Blogging to save my sanity.
#46 of 60 Old 02-25-2010, 05:33 PM

Quote:
I live rurally, so not many options. I def shop online and love ON for affordable mat clothes. I was just surprised tp hear someone say that no one wears mat clothes anymore. Interesting.
Same here, except for the rural part. I never even thought regular clothing stores would carry maternity. I assumed one would just go to the maternity clothing stores at the mall, etc. Did dept stores and the like used to carry maternity clothing?

SAHM to DD1 9/18/08 DS 6/11/10 DD2 6/21/12 nocirc.gifcd.gifgreenthumb.gifhang.gif 

#47 of 60 Old 02-25-2010, 07:57 PM

My mother told me back when she was pregnant with me, there were no maternity clothing options. You either made your own or just tried to make your regular clothing fit. Since my sewing skills are rather lacking, I think I'm grateful for the maternity options that are out there now, even if they are a bit sparse!

And when I said non-maternity clothing looks frumpy during the 3rd trimester, I was thinking of myself. I'm a small woman, but by third trimester I need a men's XL shirt to cover the belly, which makes the shoulders of the t-shirt somewhere just shy of my elbows, and the hem just shy of my knees. I look truly ridiculous. Or like a toddler dressing up in daddy's clothing. Maybe some of you ladies who are bit more evenly proportioned might have an easier time pulling it off.

I, too, hate low rise pants that flash butt when you bend over. Heaven spare me from ill fitting clothing! A good day for me is one in which everything from my collar bones to my knees stays safely covered. I don't mind fitted, but I do mind showing skin.

I think round bellies are so cute! I say let's all live it up and let it hang out. It's not every day that we get to call that stomach pooch a baby bump and feel no need whatsoever to go to the gym and do some crunches.

CD'ing, homebirthing, milk making school teacher. Supporting my family on my income and trying to get out of debt in 2013!
#48 of 60 Old 02-25-2010, 08:05 PM

Okay, I guess I am on the upper-end of even thinking about coolness, I'm 35. But are you kidding me?! I am definitely loving the newer style of mat pants with just the elastic band instead of the full panel thing. I certainly don't mind showing the curves of my pg body but nobody wants to see my deathly white belly! So I'm all in for maternity clothes. I'm lucky to have a network of previously pg friends who we all have passed clothes from one to the other at some point.
#49 of 60 Old 02-26-2010, 01:54 AM

I love a full panel. I feel so protected in it.
#50 of 60 Old 02-27-2010, 03:36 AM

So far all I've bought is a pair of jeans and some dress pants from Motherhood, plus gotten a few hand-me-downs from a friend.

I normally wear 0-2 petite or XS in pants. I got small petite (the smallest they had) from Motherhood, they seemed to fit ok in the store because they were stretchy. However, I've since discovered that when I walk around they keep falling down.
#51 of 60 Old 02-27-2010, 10:12 AM

I've noticed that with some of the larger stores too. I just stick with the thrift stores and freecycle or the reusit network for my maternity clothes. I've been in them since 8 weeks and I'm now 14ish weeks. I do have a few non maternity shirts that I can still wear, but thats only because they are xl/xxl or my husbands, lol. There is no way I can go a whole pregnancy without having any maternity clothes, especially pants/shorts.

Michelle , wife to Ray, mama to Anthony(12/20/05), Bryant(01/08), Carisma (08/21/10) , step ma to Amber(12/13/94), : :
#52 of 60 Old 02-27-2010, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somegirl99 View Post
So far all I've bought is a pair of jeans and some dress pants from Motherhood, plus gotten a few hand-me-downs from a friend.

I normally wear 0-2 petite or XS in pants. I got small petite (the smallest they had) from Motherhood, they seemed to fit ok in the store because they were stretchy. However, I've since discovered that when I walk around they keep falling down.
I'm the same size as you. You need to go with Old Navy Maternity for pants. Motherhood is great for dresses for petites, but SUCKS for pants. They're just too big. The only pants I fit into are from Old Navy. And get the under the belly, because the over-the-belly panels are made for bigger hips than ours and will make your butt look super saggy and fall down. Oh, and get a belly band! I wear mine through my whole pregnancy, no matter what I'm wearing.

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

#53 of 60 Old 02-27-2010, 04:59 PM
MJB

Quote:
Originally Posted by somegirl99 View Post

I wear a 2 normally. A Motherhood small is more like a 6. Old Navy and Gap have sizes down to 0. Gap runs smaller than Old Navy (I wear a 1 or 2 from ON but a 4 from Gap). They both have short, regular, and long lengths. I have a 33" inseam which is right in between regular and long.
#54 of 60 Old 02-28-2010, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeisnotapirate View Post
I'm the same size as you. You need to go with Old Navy Maternity for pants. Motherhood is great for dresses for petites, but SUCKS for pants. They're just too big. The only pants I fit into are from Old Navy. And get the under the belly, because the over-the-belly panels are made for bigger hips than ours and will make your butt look super saggy and fall down. Oh, and get a belly band! I wear mine through my whole pregnancy, no matter what I'm wearing.
Thanks, I have a belly band and it helps with my regular pants but it just makes the extra fabric on the too-large Motherhood pants stick out even more.

I tried Old Navy and got some tank tops but didn't see anything resembling dress pants for work, nor did I see petite pants.
#55 of 60 Old 03-02-2010, 02:18 AM

I wish Motherhood would make an XS! I normally wear a 2 or 4, and the small Motherhood pants do streach out and I have to tug them up. Work pants are hard, but I found some good ones at Gap maternity. As my hips spread during the pregnancy, I will eventually fit in the Motherhood pants. It will be about 4 more weeks or so, and they will fit fine. Pre-pregnancy size my tush!

CD'ing, homebirthing, milk making school teacher. Supporting my family on my income and trying to get out of debt in 2013!
#56 of 60 Old 03-02-2010, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter

Dh ended up surprising me! He told me to order a couple of maxi dresses from Old Navy. They should be in any day! Yay. It's beginning to warm up here. Yesterday was in the 70's and it'll only get hotter from there!

typos likely

#57 of 60 Old 03-02-2010, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Dh ended up surprising me! He told me to order a couple of maxi dresses from Old Navy. They should be in any day! Yay. It's beginning to warm up here. Yesterday was in the 70's and it'll only get hotter from there!
can i just say I am SOOO jealous! I want 70 degrees!

#58 of 60 Old 03-02-2010, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

Not the dresses, too?

Seriously, it's a love/hate thing. It's SO nice once it starts to warm up, but it becomes overbearingly hot in such a short period of time that you can't just enjoy the 70 degree weather because of whats to follow...

typos likely

#59 of 60 Old 03-02-2010, 03:06 PM

hehe dresses too but warm how i miss you! I live in maine where it's cold all the time except like 4th of july haha

#60 of 60 Old 03-03-2017, 12:03 PM

If nobody wore maternity clothes anymore, there wouldn't be an entire industry to support. If anything, maternity clothes have become a lot more stylish and fashionable, incorporating newer technologies which were not available in the past. One of the better brand values out there for maternity and nursing clothes is Modern Eternity, whose items you can wear both during and after pregnancy.

http://moderneternity.com/

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page