I have a question about going to the chiro.... - Mothering Forums

#1 of 12 Old 06-26-2010, 11:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had my first chiro appt ever this morning. I am not in any serious pain (just normal lower back pain from late pregnancy), but babe is transverse so I thought I would give it a go.

He was very nice, obviously very highly regarded and knew what he was talking about (he is webster certified and "THE" go to guy for pregnant women. However, can someone tell me if this is normal:

- "Adjustments" were done with less force than it takes me to press the keys on my keyboard. One of the biggest issues he said I had was my round ligaments on my right side and he said he would "stretch it" and I swear to you it literally felt like he was just resting his fingertips on my jeans. I felt no pressure, nothing. Nothing. He didnt even indent my skin.

- I left feeling no different at all. I wasn't expecting baby to swing head down and to walk out on air, but I did at least expect *something*. Was that a mistaken assumption? I mean, after acupuncture or massage I feel very different. Like I said, if I am overestimating here, please let me know. I just read so many (and hear from so many people) that they LOVE going to the chiro and I just felt....nothing. Nothing while he was doing it, and nothing after.

Normal?

Mama to nine gorgeous babies, with finale #10 due April'14.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 06-27-2010, 01:45 AM

There are different colleges of chiropractic that teach really different technique and philosophy, and until you've tried a few methods it's hard to know what feels right and works for your body and falls in line with your personal philosophies. Some use an activator, some use drop tables, others have these new machines that scan you and do the adjustment, while others do the stereotypical physical manipulation. So like anything as the consumer you have to find out what you like and ask questions before you go in.

That said, being pregnant and loose, it's very possible that you are loose enough from relaxing that all it took was fingertip pressure. And specifically if he was doing Webster technique it's described as being only fingertip pressure.

So yes, normal, but not the only normal.

Veggie, babywearing, cloth diapering, lactivist, intactivist, 2x HBAC, non-vaccing nurse and doula, wife of my babies' sweet Dada, Momma of 3 with another coming mid summer.

#3 of 12 Old 06-27-2010, 03:23 AM

My chiro, who I ADORE, is of the mindset that pregnancy doesn't mean you're a delicate flower who can't be touched. She uses less force for adjustment, since I'm so loose, but still does "real" adjustments. And we've been freely working through pelvic floor issues and doing deep tissue work during pregnancy, too. I will say, we aren't doing anything with any relation to baby positioning, so obviously my experience is for different treatment goals. There are definitely different "schools" of practice, but I for one prefer the ones where I feel like they actually DID something.

Co-sleeping, Breastfeeding, EC'ing, Baby-wearing, Homebirthing mama to two fabulous girls 6/2007 and 8/2010

#4 of 12 Old 06-27-2010, 10:32 AM

last year I went to a chiro, and he used these little things that lookeed like the reflex hammers, and his fingers, and I could barely feel anything, honestly, he said that I have 3 fused vertibrate and totally screwed up um i can't remember what it's called darn preggie brain, it was something he measured with colors on some machine, and it was like the electrical impulses or something... he said he didn't know how I got out of bed in the morning... well anyway... he would do these adjustments and I felt nothing. I don't even know if it helped because after a month or two of 3 times a week visits we changed insurance and he didn't take our new one... I felt the same as you I expected big sweeping adjustments that would make me feel like a new woman when I walked out of there. I was greatly disappointed.

Nicki wife to Rich, Mama to 7 y/o DS, and a beautiful Princess Aug 2010
#5 of 12 Old 06-27-2010, 02:23 PM

I saw a chiro during my last pregnancy for serious hip pain starting in the second trimester. He was more of the old-school adjustment type even though he was pretty young - I'd lay on this table that had the middle dropped out to accomodate my belly, then he'd do a series of adjustments on my hips, back, and neck. There was a lot of pressure involved and though it didn't hurt it was uncomfortable at times. That said I would hear things popping and cracking and I really did feel a huge difference after the first appointment, otherwise I wouldn't have kept going back!

I haven't gone at all this pregnancy (we moved and I really am not having any issues thankfully) but remembering that makes me think it might be nice to get adjusted anyway.

Wife to 8/07, SAHM to DS1 12/08 & DS2 7/10
#6 of 12 Old 06-27-2010, 03:41 PM

DDCC -

I have SPD and that caused me to have to go to the chiro

he used Webster technique on me and yes... there was pressure. There was also popping... and then there was the ability to walk out of the office without hobbling like I did to get in there in the first place.

Id say try a different chiro!

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#7 of 12 Old 06-27-2010, 04:36 PM

I saw a Webster Chiro for the first time on Friday. There was some pressure, but honestly not much, not nearly as much as w/ a massage, and I felt phenomenal that night!

Wife (32) to DH (33) Mom to DS 2 and Twin DD's born 8/11
#8 of 12 Old 06-27-2010, 10:59 PM

I have started seeing a chiro for the first time this pregnancy. She's a good mix of old and new school I guess.

I do get adjusted in the traditional sense in the fact that I lay on the table and does a series of adjustments on my back, hips and neck. But she uses far less pressure than DH used to when he would pop my back at home. I don't think the amount of pressure is a good indication of whether it's going to be effective or not.

She is also stretching my round ligaments, on the right side. I lay on my back and she gently touches my belly right about my waist band or so and pushed up slightly. It really isn't much pressure at all and I really don't "feel" stretching, but I do notice a decrease in RL pain for a few days. (I have a very wonky pelvis). She does use an activator to align my pubic bone which is the only part that is uncomfortable. Other than that the entire adjustment is very comfortable.

After the first visit, I didn't really notice much difference (other than I didn't have a headache the entire week which is a huge deal for me!). I've been seeing her since 16 weeks and having noticed a more gradual difference over time. For example, I don't have RL pain in the same frequency that I did before and only rare occasions of sciatic pain. I have also noticed that baby moves much more freely than my previous pgs. For example, I can actually feel his head turn from OA to OP back to OA etc during the day. In the past...all of my babies have been OP by about 30 weeks and stayed that way.

I personally don't think you can look at chiro care as a fix all or miracle treatment that will work in one visit. There is a reason he is the "go to" guy for pregnant women. He may start off with more gentle adjustments to see how you respond and adjust his treatments accordingly. I would probably keep going for several visits and discuss your concerns with him. I would personally prefer someone who began more gentle and worked up rather than just pulling out the big guns if you will. Before he can really try to turn the baby with Webster, he's got to make sure your RL are stretched and your uterus is going to "fall" evenly. Otherwise, it will be much less likely to be effective and helpful.

Wife to a wonderful husband, mom to 5 amazing boys, 2 m/c and Knox Cornelius our 5th son born at 15weeks 12/3/2011, Lillian Faith our 1st daughter, born at 14 weeks May 19, 2012 (Turner Syndrome). 

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#9 of 12 Old 06-28-2010, 01:39 AM

i ditto the pp that there are different styles of chiro. with my first two pregnancies i went to a chiro that did a combo of drop table stuff/physical manipulation/activator. i always left feeling much better. this pregnancy i've been seeing a different chiro, because he's a customer at our business and we can trade work. he's a strictly activator guy and i don't usually feel different when i leave. overall it helps, but it does take more visits to get the same effect. but i don't have the time/money to go 3x a week. of course if i did the specific exercises/stretches he gave me, it would help.

it's a matter of preference i guess. personally, if money wasn't tight i'd be going to the same chiro i saw before. i felt better.

mama to DS born 9/7/05, DD born 8/20/07, DS born 9/4/10 and DS born 11/26/13

Loving our chaotic, crunchy, homeschooling life!
#10 of 12 Old 06-28-2010, 07:51 AM

My chiro is also trained in the Webster technique. He uses a drop table and adjusts my upper back, neck and hips. Some adjustments are more gentle then others. He's also working on stretching my left round ligament. He applies gentle pressure but the pain I feel is pretty intense! Apparently it's much tighter on that side because when uses the same pressure on my right side it doesn't hurt at all. I can honestly say I walk out feeling I'm on cloud 9 compared to when I went in.

Jamie, parenting w/ DH , DS1 (02/04), DD (06/06), DS2 (09/08) and DD2 born 8/04/10 9lb 1 oz
#11 of 12 Old 06-28-2010, 01:16 PM

When my chiro does Webster on my pelvis I definitely feel it. At first it tickles, and then if I'm tight, it's a little uncomfortable while the ligaments relax. If my ligaments are loose, it just tickles.

After he did it the last time, I felt baby wiggling and rearranging herself a lot after I walked out. She definitely seemed to appreciate the adjustment.

As for the back, he was using the activator only (a little clicking instrument) early in my pregnancy because he knew I'd just had a miscarriage and assumed I'd want him to be delicate. I eventually told him not to worry and give me the full treatment.

Sometimes I still walk out feeling sore, but if I take it easy, things start to feel better within an hour or so.

Amy (34): mommy to DD1 (11/07) and DD2 (7/10), wife, wohm, and wannabe suburban homesteader.
#12 of 12 Old 07-01-2010, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSheepPDX View Post
My chiro, who I ADORE, is of the mindset that pregnancy doesn't mean you're a delicate flower who can't be touched. She uses less force for adjustment, since I'm so loose, but still does "real" adjustments. And we've been freely working through pelvic floor issues and doing deep tissue work during pregnancy, too. I will say, we aren't doing anything with any relation to baby positioning, so obviously my experience is for different treatment goals. There are definitely different "schools" of practice, but I for one prefer the ones where I feel like they actually DID something.
who do you go to? you can pm me if you want. i've been having low back and piriformis pain and now some pressure on my pubic bone and my insurance doesn't cover massage or craniosacral but they do do chiro--but i went to someone last year that i thought was a quack and am wary to go again. i do not want someone treating me like i'm delicate--i want the back pain to go away and make sure i'm aligned correctly.

DD: 8/10

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page