UPDATED: +digi, but neg urine test at doc's.... waiting till monday for blood results - Mothering Forums

#1 of 43 Old 01-22-2010, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You guys, I'm all of a sudden freaking out. I know I got the + on the digi yesterday, but I'm going in to have the pregnancy confirmed today, because of my early loss in July (OB said to call as soon as I got another +, because she wants to check my progesterone levels to make sure I don't need to supplement).

But it's still so early, and I'm afraid that even though I got a + on a digi at home, they'll make me pee before doing the quant and it'll be negative because their test won't be sensitive enough or something.

Gah. Please tell me it will be fine? I'm starting to wish I would have waited a little longer to test... I can't handle a dr. telling me I'm not pregnant right now.

After all, the digi knows all.

Part hippie-chick, part type-A career woman, all mama. Enjoying life as a wife to my partner of 11 years, and a mama to our smarty-pants toddler, Cadence.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 43 Old 01-22-2010, 12:01 PM

Bring your digi test with you. If you got a positive on a digital test, notorious for being the least sensitive, then I'm sure you'd also get a positive on the test strips they use in doc's offices. I've read that digital tests are hCG sensitive from 25-200mIU (Clearblue Digi is 25mIU). However, most doc test strips are sensitive to hCH from 15-25mIU.
Try not to worry! I'm sure she'll just go straight for the blood test considering you already POAS.

Emily: Homebirthin' mama to 3 boys and a girl.
#3 of 43 Old 01-22-2010, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

I was hoping to bring the digi w/ me (a Clearblue Digi) but I pee'd on it yesterday morning, and the screen's gone blank now (not before I got to show DP last night, though!).

I wish I could shake the nerves. Your response helped. Thanks.

Part hippie-chick, part type-A career woman, all mama. Enjoying life as a wife to my partner of 11 years, and a mama to our smarty-pants toddler, Cadence.

#4 of 43 Old 01-22-2010, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter

And OMG I have to pee sooooo badddddd! (Trying to hold my FMU).

I can make it to 10:15. I can make it to 10:15.

If they DON'T make me PIAC, I'll have held for nothing... the things we do!

#5 of 43 Old 01-22-2010, 01:15 PM

clearblue digis are not that sensitive, to be honest. Id think maybe a FRER digi may cause some problems... but FRER digi gave me a pos two days before a clearblue digi did

and Im sure your test will be sufficiently lined... my doctor had this neat one where the test line was pink and the control line was blue. Isnt that awesome?

And the nurse didnt even have to squint to see it!

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#6 of 43 Old 01-22-2010, 01:52 PM

Yeah, my CBE was positive when my beta was 46 a few hours later, but negative the night before when I had a decent line on an frer with afternoon pee. I think you will be good!

MP - what a cool test!

Rachel, knit.gifwifey to 2twins.gif (3/06), tandem nursing mama toenergy.gif(7/08) & babyboy.gif (4/11) and missing brokenheart.gif (7/09, 2/10, 7/10) 
#7 of 43 Old 01-22-2010, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

Sigh.

Thanks, ladies.

I found on babyhopes.com that as of summer 2008 the CBE digi detected 25miu.

The doctor's pee test was negative. .

I have to wait till Monday for the quant results.

I'm a mess. Did I really get a false positive on a digital???

Oh, you'll love this. The nurse said it was "totally possible to get a false positive because pregnancy tests pick up both LH and HCG."

I wanted to PUNCH HER.

#8 of 43 Old 01-22-2010, 03:51 PM

I think she might be confusing an ovulation predictor test and a pregnancy test. Still, she should button her lips :/ I doubt you got a false positive. Did you use any fertility meds w/ HCG in them? Otherwise, I doubt you got a false positive. I know you have a long weekend ahead of you
#9 of 43 Old 01-22-2010, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hck73 View Post
I think she might be confusing an ovulation predictor test and a pregnancy test. Still, she should button her lips :/ I doubt you got a false positive. Did you use any fertility meds w/ HCG in them? Otherwise, I doubt you got a false positive. I know you have a long weekend ahead of you
I know, she was definitely confused (to say the least).

Nope, no fertility meds. Au naturale!

I really hope you're right... It will definitely be a long weekend.

#10 of 43 Old 01-22-2010, 04:18 PM

That nurse sounds *very* confused! I'm sorry you have to wait until Monday to find out the results. Good luck!

DD 12/07 DS 9/10

#11 of 43 Old 01-22-2010, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

You know you've been jaded by the TTC process when even a "pregnant" on a digi isn't enough to make you a believer.

... just trying to get back to that happy "I'm pregnant" place.

#12 of 43 Old 01-22-2010, 04:21 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Oh, Lyndzies, that sucks. I'm sorry. I'd so be at the store buying some more hpts to get me through the weekend. I have a friend who got a + hpt (not digi, I don't think), and her beta was only like 11 later that day! Sticky baby due in May.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
8g, 7g, 4b, 2g
#13 of 43 Old 01-22-2010, 04:29 PM

Hang in there. I've read so many stories of women who had false negatives at the dr. You're very early. There's plenty of time for the hcg to go up.
#14 of 43 Old 01-22-2010, 05:07 PM

I've heard the doc's office HPTs are sometimes 100miu - pick up a ton of $tree tests and watch the lines get darker this weekend!

Rachel, knit.gifwifey to 2twins.gif (3/06), tandem nursing mama toenergy.gif(7/08) & babyboy.gif (4/11) and missing brokenheart.gif (7/09, 2/10, 7/10) 
#15 of 43 Old 01-22-2010, 05:15 PM

wow yeah, id POAS to confirm. if its positive, haul it in. You cant fake a positive on those. And god, id be devastated and was a bit, if my doc said my digi was wrong i so sorry hunney, i hope they figure this out soon so you can go back to enjoying your natural pregnancy!

wild.gifCrazy Chef-in-training baking wife(27) of geek.gif (32) mother of 2 energy.gif 11-21-03 & 9 - 13 - 07

#16 of 43 Old 01-22-2010, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalamos23 View Post
I've heard the doc's office HPTs are sometimes 100miu - pick up a ton of $tree tests and watch the lines get darker this weekend!
Lol. DP called me and said "make sure you get more of the "good ones." Lol. I guess that gives me permission to drop the big bucks on tests Hehehehe....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettinaAuSucre View Post
wow yeah, id POAS to confirm. if its positive, haul it in. You cant fake a positive on those. And god, id be devastated and was a bit, if my doc said my digi was wrong i so sorry hunney, i hope they figure this out soon so you can go back to enjoying your natural pregnancy!
Yeah, it definitely sucked. Trying to keep my chin up. Couldn't even bring my digi in with me, because the "Pregnant" had disappeared by then (it only stated in the window for the requisite 24 hours). BUUUUUT, for the record, she didn't say my digi was wrong, just that their test was negative (and then the ridiculous explanation of why there can be false positive PG tests... whatever!).

Thanks for all the feedback ladies. I'm going to try to focus on the fact that false positives are very rare, and the most likely explanation is that - at 11 dpo - it is just to early for the dr.'s tests to pick up HCG (and that they didn't wait long enough for the test to develop anyway... I think it was like... 3 minutes when the dinger went off. And, I wasn't even allowed to see it!)

#17 of 43 Old 01-22-2010, 05:33 PM
slf

How weird. and disappointing. and frustrating.... I hope your weekend doesn't drag too much

PS- your siggy totally made me spit water over my (work) computer!

Sandi- firmly attached mama to DS (Feb/08) cautiously expecting #2 09/10
#18 of 43 Old 01-22-2010, 05:33 PM

3 minutes?? Yeah, way too early especially on a less sensitive test! Go get thee some FRERs!!! I seriously had a very nice line on those when I had a BFP on the CBE digi.

#19 of 43 Old 01-22-2010, 05:35 PM

Oh, and you could most likely use afternoon pee and be fine.

#20 of 43 Old 01-22-2010, 05:46 PM

o honey, my tests have been taking longer than 3 minutes. under 10, but definitley more than three.

don't worry!

Midwife apprentice and mama to 6, including three UC babies: Jude River, 06/04/08, Elora Wren Isolde, 9/27/10, and our newest addition, Eilish Neve Isebeul, 6/12/14!
#21 of 43 Old 01-22-2010, 06:31 PM

with DS I got a bfp the day AF was due (14dpo if my cycle was the same back then)

went in the same day and they told me it was negative

I walked into the waiting room and the nurse called me back in just before I walked out the door because there was just BARELY a line there. Very very faint... but there... and there is all that matters.

It wasnt there at all when she first checked...

if your docs office tests for 50 or higher, of course it would be negative. I say get a FRER... that wont lie to you.

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#22 of 43 Old 01-22-2010, 06:38 PM

I have patients that come in all the time with a pos at home then get a neg at the clinic. The patient's home test usually turns out to be the correct test (They are prego)!

Jessica
Mommy to Oliver (06/06) and Pearl (09/10)
#23 of 43 Old 01-22-2010, 06:42 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
oh i'm sorry you're going though this!! that sucks! i've heard that some OB office tests are 100 waaaaaay less sensitive than home tests (which seems silly) also they often use those cheapy test strips and you have to wait the whole 10 mins to be sure with them! when i tested at 13dpo this pregnancy it looked negative for the first 3-4 mins and then .. bam. positive. clear as day.. but it really took a while for all the dye to get across the cheap internet test..

i would totally trust your digi test and try to stay calm for a few days, i'm glad they still did the bloodwork for you!

and have fun with your new line-tests.. hold your pee 3-4 hours and take one in the afternoon, i've gotten all my BFPs in the afternoon (well, and some in the morning too, but by 10-11dpo the afternoon was just as dark) i am personally a big fan of looking at the lines rather than the digital test..

- Staci, Mommy to Mollie (3/06), Jamie (5/08), Annie (9/10), Bently (2/13), Robin (11/15)... and SURPRISE! (3/18)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#24 of 43 Old 01-22-2010, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaerynPearl View Post
I say get a FRER... that wont lie to you.
So, you think the digi lied to me?

I know, I know. I need to bite the bullet and pee on more sticks this weekend, otherwise go crazy.

I dunno what I'll do if I see stark white. I know that's not likely, but stiiiiiilllll..

Ugh, why can't my digi + be the "be all end all?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beneficial Bee View Post
I have patients that come in all the time with a pos at home then get a neg at the clinic. The patient's home test usually turns out to be the correct test (They are prego)!
Thank you for this! Knowing it has happened to other women and all has been fine (i.e., they WERE pregnant) makes me feel so much better.

#25 of 43 Old 01-22-2010, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndzies View Post
So, you think the digi lied to me?
lol no

i think the doctors test lied to you.

i prayed for a false positive on those damn CBEs and didnt even get a REAL positive when my FRER gave me a pretty pink line! or when my FRG (FRER digi pretty much) gave me a YES+... I still got that painful NOT PREGNANT on a CBE!!!

#26 of 43 Old 01-22-2010, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter

Lol. Well, Mae... I guess it doesn't much matter now, right? Thank goodness.

Oh, and for the record, I called the CBE hotline, and they said the sensitivity of their digis is indeed 25mIU.

SOOOOOO, it definitely could be very likely that the dr. test was not sensitive enough.

I'm feeling better all of a sudden.

.... but I'm still picking up more test on the way home. I've been holding pee since 11ish. Think I'll be fine to pee at 5:30ish? (If I can hold it! Lol!)

#27 of 43 Old 01-22-2010, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndzies View Post
.... but I'm still picking up more test on the way home. I've been holding pee since 11ish. Think I'll be fine to pee at 5:30ish? (If I can hold it! Lol!)
yesssssssssssssssssssssss

just dont pee yourself picking up the tests, i nearly did that the day I picked up my FRGs... and I peed in a cup before I left the house!

and if they give you a you really can calm down because that means your doctors blood test will be a pretty

#28 of 43 Old 01-22-2010, 07:07 PM

Molly - Hard working mama to DD 06/06 , #2 9/2010!
#29 of 43 Old 01-22-2010, 07:11 PM

Also sounds to me like the doctor's test was wrong...

I mean, think of the statistical likelihood on what is false, a negative or a positive? False negative is soooo much more likely.

Kelly (28), in love with husband Jason (38) and our awesome babies:  Emma 4/09, and Ozzy 8/10

#30 of 43 Old 01-22-2010, 08:28 PM

#4 my HPT was + and neg at clinic, she is 4 now so mine was right

Likes a little crunch with occasional sogginess~Misty,Mama to L1, L2, L3, L4,L5 and Loving J!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page