anyone have an apointment scheduled? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 19 Old 03-29-2010, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I havent even called yet. i am pretty sure we are going with a midwife, so we need to do some interviewing first.

With my first by this time i'd already had 2 beta tests then around 5 weeks i had an ultrasound and then again a little after 6 weeks, where we could see the heartbeat, not see per se but the dr could hear it or something on the ultrasound.

Then 10 weeks ultrasound actually looks like a tiny baby.

This time around i bet we wont have anything until 10 weeks, but that makes me nervous!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 19 Old 03-29-2010, 08:12 PM

I haven't scheduled yet. My hubby had an appointment with our general practitioner and got a reference. But I don't think the reference is in network for my insurance. I didn't find her on my insurance website. I will call and confirm - but overall, I would like in network to minimize monetary stress during the pregnancy.

Guess I will be on the phone a bit this week!

Kind of nervous about the first appointment really...
#3 of 19 Old 03-29-2010, 09:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've had two betas, but no actual appointment yet. I'm planning to call my doc tomorrow to schedule my first appointment. I'd like to have a homebirth with a midwife, but that probably isn't going to be possible in my state. I don't even think we have any midwives in our town. So I'll be going to my OB for now. At least I have great insurance, so I don't have to worry about that, but I am worried I won't be able to have the kind of birth I want :-( But there's still lots of time to try to figure it out.

Lori ~ wife to DH 5 yrs ~ DS born naturally 11.20.10!

#4 of 19 Old 03-29-2010, 09:53 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I call my midwife, tomorrow to schedule our first appointment. I have already talked with her. So I will have my calender in front of me to schedule. But I am scheduling between 10 and 12 weeks! I am excited I can't wait to hear the heart beat! I am having a home-birth it will be my 3rd! I have had such a wonderful experience can't wait for this one!

I am a homebirth Midwife
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, I have a Daughter (13) Son (10) and Son (5) and a Husband of 14 Years!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#5 of 19 Old 03-29-2010, 10:11 PM

I have an appt with the nurse and an ultrasound on April 20th. The phone nurse told me I'd be 8-9 weeks and I told her I'd be 6 weeks (I have a longer cycle than usual, have been charting and using the CBEFM) but she didn't believe me and said they'd only go by LMP. I'm not going to turn down a u/s but when they think I'm measuring behind, I'll know it's more on track **fingers crossed**

Belly pats to all!!
#6 of 19 Old 03-31-2010, 02:58 PM

I made an appointment with the OB group from my first pregnancy when I was scared last week and felt like I had to be seen (just the OMG I'm pregnant, now what, I gotta do something kind of scared). I don't know if I'll go though because now that I know better, there are a lot of negative things about their practice. For one, they give out formula samples at your first prenatal visit! Back then I didn't know enough to be outraged

I really want to have a homebirth this time but my husband isn't so on board. I think he'll come around, but I'm hesitant to call and book the midwife if he's going to have a freak out. I was trying to explain to him that the reason we don't have any midwives around here that deliver in the hospital is because healthy pregnant women shouldn't be in the hospital!
#7 of 19 Old 03-31-2010, 03:49 PM

I had my first appt. today. I am scheduled to come in for an early "dating" u/s in the next week because I'm pretty confident that I'm not due when they think I am. I am hoping to be able to see the h/b at my next appt! I saw a nurse mid-wife that does hospital deliveries. We still aren't sure if we will do with a hospital or homebirth ... I have to admit after 3 hospital births I'm a little bit scared something will go wrong at a homebirth and I'll be rushed to the closest hospital (which doesn't have a good reputation) ... If I go with the nurse midwife group (they also have OBs) then I can have a natural birth in a very "natural friendly" hospital that has a great reputation locally ... and is only about 30 minutes away (vs. 5 minutes for the closest hospital).
#8 of 19 Old 03-31-2010, 04:10 PM

yukookoo - I'm sort of in the same boat as you in that I think we will be interviewing midwives first to see if I am a good candidate for a home birth. I want to do everything and anything possibe to keep myself out of a hosptial this time around.

I'm also surprisingly much more calm and relaxed than I've ever been before. I'm in no rush to make an appt. just yet. I'm going to wait it out for a bit - at least till 8 weeks or so until I call. After having done this 4 times, I know to take my vitamins - which I was doing already, stay hydrated (I live in the desert!) and eat healthy.

I know I've seen a few people mention that they like the idea of a homebirth but don't think their husbands would agree. I may have worried about that UNTIL we watched the Ricki Lake documentary on homebirths - very eye-opening statistic-wise. Even before I would have ever brought it up, he was all over the idea of a HB.

I also just read this morning that the state of Florida is getting close to a 40% rate of c-sections. That is the most horrifying news I've heard in a LONG time! I don't live anywhere near FL, but it seems as if nationally we are quickly headed in that direction.

Tracy
#9 of 19 Old 03-31-2010, 04:26 PM
rad

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I'm still figuring out who to call. I'm thinking of maybe sticking with the midwife I used for my last homebirth. I really liked her. But I'm also thinking about checking with the midwife that worked with my dr during my first 4 homebirths. I've recently heard she's still doing a few homebirths and I got along well with her. There's also a new midwife that I've email for info (she also worked with my dr for a while).

Rachel , wifey to best friend Karl ,
SAHM to Kaelan (11) Chandra (9) Liam (7) Lachlan (5) Killian (4),Riordan (1), Baby Boy EDD 11/14. All born at home!

#10 of 19 Old 03-31-2010, 09:30 PM

I'm so jealous of you girls who're closer to hearing that sweet heartbeat! I have an ultrasound on April 20th because they think I'll be 8-9 weeks along but I know I'll be 6w3d so it'll still be iffy to see a heartbeat. I tried stressing to them that I knew (based on charting and fertility monitor that matched up) when I ovulated but it's protocal to go by LMP.
#11 of 19 Old 03-31-2010, 10:40 PM

I scheduled my first appointment with my OB. I took the first they had available which was April 8th, so only a week away. I don't think much will happen at this appt other than bloodwork and discussion, etc. I had my annual exam about a month ago, so I'm hoping they don't have a need to poke around there again til later. I don't know if I'd have an ultrasound then, cause I'll only be 6 weeks. But I do work at a doctor's office and we have an ultrasound and the tech said we could take a peek anytime I want, but she said that we probably wouldn't be able to see anything til 6 weeks at the earliest.

Lori ~ wife to DH 5 yrs ~ DS born naturally 11.20.10!
#12 of 19 Old 04-01-2010, 04:36 AM

I went in today for what I would call a "pregnancy orientation", which was so nice. This is my first pregnancy, so it was good to have someone walk me through the things I should be thinking about (eat this, don't eat that, don't over-exert while exercising). They also did a blood test which came back positive. Holy moly, it's starting to feel real! First real doctor visit will be around April 20. I haven't shopped around at all because DH and I are moving a few states over in June, so I'll have to look around then. I'd love to work with a midwife, but I don't think there are any covered by my insurance in the new town. My series of appointments today were just so nice; I felt so well taken care of, and the office is used to working with mothers for only a few months of pregnancy (it's at a university). I hope I can find such a caring network in my new town!

One curly engineer + One curly accountant = One curly preschooler (12/2010). Next up: 9/2014. Hoping this one sleeps, cause the first one didn't.
#13 of 19 Old 04-03-2010, 04:32 AM

I have hardly thought about this yet - I guess in the next couple of days this will feel more real, and then I will start thinking about who to call. I *think* that I will be not seeing anyone until I am 12 weeks or so, and then start interviewing midwives. I am slightly concerned about an ectopic pregnancy and might want to rule that out with ultrasound.... but I also do not want ultrasound, if possible, this pregnancy. I have some more reading and thinking to do.

yukookoo. I remember you from the Waldorf forum

Megan, mama to her little boy (Feb2008) and introducing our little girl (Dec 2010)
#14 of 19 Old 04-03-2010, 09:19 AM

I had my annual scheduled with the midwife practice i saw with DD anyway, so they just bumped it to a day they do pre-natals, the 15th. They normally don't see anyone till 10-12 weeks but she could tell I was eager to get in there and plus I'm overdue for my annual.

Megan, wife to K, mama to C lady.gif (9/07), brokenheart.gif(4/10) brokenheart.gif(11/10)

And our rainbow is here! E babyboy.gif 10/11

#15 of 19 Old 04-03-2010, 10:31 AM

I wish I could make my appt! But the insurance we are on now doesnt cover pregnancy But (perfect timing), DH just got a job work for the state, so we should have killer insurance in a few weeks. I'll just have to wait until then... :/ I guess I didnt go until 10 weeks last time either. And it took me three practices before i found the doctor I liked and SEVERAL doctors within practices. So, I might use my old doctor if hes willing to do a vbac. If not... moving right on until I find someone who is! Theres no way Im having another c-section unless its absolutely necessary. I really felt like I missed out on something amazing with the last one!

Lauren , DH , DD 02/2007 and expecting #2 (12/7/10)! We
#16 of 19 Old 04-03-2010, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apmama07 View Post
I had my annual scheduled with the midwife practice i saw with DD anyway, so they just bumped it to a day they do pre-natals, the 15th. They normally don't see anyone till 10-12 weeks but she could tell I was eager to get in there and plus I'm overdue for my annual.
exactly this / me too except they did bump me to the 10-12 week mark; i have to wait until the 6th of may. and i'm SO overdue for my annual another 4 weeks will hardly make a diff, lol!

it's funny b/c when i made the appt for the annual they asked if i was pg; i said nope but we were trying. they made the appt for next week and said call back if you get a BFP! lol
#17 of 19 Old 04-03-2010, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theirmommy View Post
I'm so jealous of you girls who're closer to hearing that sweet heartbeat! I have an ultrasound on April 20th because they think I'll be 8-9 weeks along but I know I'll be 6w3d so it'll still be iffy to see a heartbeat. I tried stressing to them that I knew (based on charting and fertility monitor that matched up) when I ovulated but it's protocal to go by LMP.
This is what I'm dealing with, too. I'm either 6 weeks or 8 weeks and I think I'm 6 but they want to double check. I'm glad, because I would rather have an accurate due date than one 2 weeks ahead! I'm still hoping to see the baby/h/b. With DS2 I saw the h/b at 6w3d exactly (because I was spotting and thought I was having a m/c -- they checked and we got to see him!) with DD ... same thing happend -- brown and red spotting at around 6 weeks -- came on in and I saw the tiny little baby but I don't think we saw the h/b -- it was just a day or two, too early.
#18 of 19 Old 04-03-2010, 05:44 PM

We have our first ultrasound scheduled for April 14th (7 weeks). We did IVF so we'll be able to see heartbeat and if it's one or two babies... can't wait to find out.

2twins.gif Twin Girls on November 11, 2010
#19 of 19 Old 04-03-2010, 06:51 PM

My first appointment is next Thursday. I lost a baby at 13 weeks back in July (although they think the baby died around 7 weeks) and another one at 6 weeks in October. I'm not sure what he'll do next week. I had a blood draw on Wednesday, didn't hear from them on Thursday, and they were closed on Friday. I'll calling them on Monday and seeing if they want me to have another draw before my appointment.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows--
: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the
for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page