November Chat - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

#31 of 155 Old 11-06-2010, 04:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Whew! I'm home from our trip, and so glad to be. Now I get to go back and read everyone's updates. I'm glad to see many of you are doing well and getting excited, so sorry to see some loss and illness.

I was fine on the plane ride home (I was worried because I got sick midway through the 8-hour flight to Spain), but the cab ride from the airport to our apartment made me feel gross (though I just managed to avoid throwing up). My husband went out to get me some ginger ale, which I really appreciated.

I'll be 20 weeks along on Monday! Over the course of the last week I've pretty much "popped." I look so much bigger than I did the week before.

My parents come to visit next weekend. I wonder if the subject of homebirth will come up, and how they'll feel about it. Some of you may remember my (very supportive and kind) mother-in-law is quite nervous about it, but trying to play it cool. I think my parents will take it at least that well!

The best part of my vacation? I took TWO baths in hotel bathtubs. We don't have a bathtub in the apartment we've lived in for the last six years, and I rarely get a chance to take one when I'm traveling, so this was so luxurious!!

SO excited and nervous (more the former than the latter) about our 20-week anatomy scan (and hopefully gender guess) on Thursday afternoon!

First child born March 2011.  Constantly in awe!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 155 Old 11-06-2010, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post
I was fine on the plane ride home (I was worried because I got sick midway through the 8-hour flight to Spain), but the cab ride from the airport to our apartment made me feel gross (though I just managed to avoid throwing up). My husband went out to get me some ginger ale, which I really appreciated.
I tend to get pretty carsick while pregnant. the almost 7 hour drive to visit DF's family for thanksgiving may be interesting, not to mention the ferry ride (bad motion sickness the year I was pregnant with DD)

Marissa, Partner to J geek.gif, SAHM to A (05/09)fly-by-nursing1.gif and I (03/11)stork-boy.gif. we cd.gif
selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.giffemalesling.GIFecbaby2.gif part-time and familybed1.gif through infancy. planning ahomebirth.jpg
#33 of 155 Old 11-06-2010, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marissamom View Post
I tend to get pretty carsick while pregnant. the almost 7 hour drive to visit DF's family for thanksgiving may be interesting, not to mention the ferry ride (bad motion sickness the year I was pregnant with DD)

I was just remembering my best friend felt nauseated in a lot of cab rides during her first pregnancy...

#34 of 155 Old 11-07-2010, 01:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
DH made a playlist for baby this week. We got a pair of headphones that fold flat at Target today and I'm playing the music against my belly for her. She has been still all day (DH says it's because she knows it's the weekend and she's taking it easy), but 5 seconds after the music went on she started kicking/moving like crazy! DH wants to know if she has rhythm or not. Anyone else playing music for babe?

Adrienne - Loving my DH, our daughter Harper 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(3/2011), our son Ezra
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(4/2013), and maybe a baby?? 
(Jan 2016)
#35 of 155 Old 11-07-2010, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginia884 View Post
Anyone else playing music for babe?
DD lays her head on my belly most mornings and sings the baby a song. Does that count?

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#36 of 155 Old 11-07-2010, 01:31 AM

not specifically for the baby, but we do listen to a lot of music, and the baby has responded.

Marissa, Partner to J geek.gif, SAHM to A (05/09)fly-by-nursing1.gif and I (03/11)stork-boy.gif. we cd.gif
selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.giffemalesling.GIFecbaby2.gif part-time and familybed1.gif through infancy. planning ahomebirth.jpg
#37 of 155 Old 11-07-2010, 08:58 AM

Quote:
not specifically for the baby, but we do listen to a lot of music, and the baby has responded.
Same here. And if his reactions to the music are any indication, he'll be a little rock 'n' roller like the rest of his family.

Aleyna - Mom to 6 yo DS1 wild.gifRascal and DS2 Tiny born 03/24/11
#38 of 155 Old 11-07-2010, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milosmomma View Post
However, as we were walking out of the office, DP's cousin called and said that our dog had run away. He's NEVER left our yard (no fence, he just stays around), but Paul says that when he opened the door, Sam just bolted out and ran into the woods. We got a call last night that someone had seen him in our sub-division (I had the HOA send an email out), and then DP saw him briefly before he ran back into the woods. UGH, I hope he turns up today. We're all upset, but DD is devestated.

Well, bad news.

Sam (our dog) was hit by a car last night in the same area that he'd been spotted a few days ago. We happened to come up on the scene about 20 minutes later. Fortunately, the guy had stayed and had already called animal control.

We're sad, but DP and I are at peace with it. At least we have closure and KNOW what happened. I don't know how I would have handled wondering whether he was okay and worrying that he was starving or freezing to death alone.

We've made the decision to NOT tell the kids. They've processed the fact that Sam has run away and is not coming back. Basically, we're letting Amelia believe that Sam has decided to be a wild dog in the woods and that he's happy and free. Dishonest, yes....but right now it's all I can deal with.

---Jessica---Livin' my life from A Peace.gif(1/05 ) to Z  jammin.gif(4/08 ).....and z babyf.gif(3/11)

#39 of 155 Old 11-07-2010, 05:45 PM

Oh no. I'm so sorry Jessica.

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#40 of 155 Old 11-07-2010, 09:00 PM

I was thinking of playing music for baby, but I remember with dd it felt in my uterus for some reason, a little uncomfortable or something. But I think I may try and see if it's the same this time.

So sorry about your dog, I know when we had our dogs put down that was upsetting enough not being pregnant and not having to deal with telling dd. Good to hear your at peace with it though.

Wife to DH mom to DD(09-05) and DD(03/27).joy.gif

#41 of 155 Old 11-07-2010, 09:58 PM

Jessica, I'm so sorry.

Right now, I MUST have sugar cookies. Must. Store bought will not do. We have no eggs and DD1 is off dairy, so I found a vegan recipe and tromped off the neighbor's house (through the very pretty snow) to get cookie cutters, rolling pin, etc. I am now off to clean up the kitchen and make the best cookies of my life. Sometimes, I dearly love being pregnant.

Sarah. Married to my Mirus, raising my DD1 (Aug. '09) and my DD2 (March '11) and waiting for my newest (April '14)!
#42 of 155 Old 11-08-2010, 03:23 AM

Quote:

Well, bad news.

Sam (our dog) was hit by a car last night in the same area that he'd been spotted a few days ago.
Jessica-

So sorry about your family's dog. Just wanted to send you

#43 of 155 Old 11-08-2010, 04:57 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Sorry Jessica

I made a pot pie today. I just put in a 9x13 with the crust on top, because I didn't have a big enough casserole dish to line with the crust ( I made it myself, it was wholw wheat and pretty flaky too!) I used red kale, corn, potatoes, carrot, and these left over pork chops I had cooked and cut up in chunks and frozen for quick meals. We are going in on a hand raised organic pig with a friend of ours, so I am trying to clean out any pork we have now. I dunno though...It tasted good, but it's just not the same as "chicken pot pie" you know? I was a little dissapointed.

I'm going to make a cookie bar from some chocolate chip oatmeal cookie dough I froze after I put too much butter in it. I was trying to come up with ideas for the topping. Caramel, nutella, pecans?

Banana, doula wife to Papa Banana and mother to Banana One, Banana Two, Banana Three, Banana Four...

#44 of 155 Old 11-08-2010, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana731 View Post
I was trying to come up with ideas for the topping. Caramel, nutella, pecans?
MMMM...all three?

#45 of 155 Old 11-08-2010, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxrachel View Post
I have been diagnosed with gestational diabetes.
Sorry to hear this. Do you have drs. or midwives?

Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
I finally heard the heartbeat - this morning in bed with my fetoscope!!!!

Quote:

Sam (our dog) was hit by a car last night.
So, so sorry to hear this news. We're thinking of you and the family.

Anyone not gained weight yet? I'm a fluffy mama to start with, but last time I was more sick than now (since I have Zofran) and I started gaining by now. I lost like 6lbs to start then gained 4lbs back. Now I am back down those 4lbs though. Not concerned but going to mention it to the mw Wednesday.

aka ~lioneyes~ :: In love with DH :: DD 5 :: new sweet baby girl 3/14/2011~ both born at home in water
#46 of 155 Old 11-08-2010, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxrachel View Post

I have been diagnosed with gestational diabetes and have spent the last two weeks learning my new diet and doing blood tests 4 times a day. I have also started having a crazy pelvic pain when I stand up and sometimes when I walk. It is especially bad when sleeping and trying to roll over. My doctor thinks it is a strain, but I am worried this is going to last... On the positive side, I have been feeling more kicks in the last few days, and baby seems to be responding to loud voices and noises now!
oh shoot, i missed this!

Sara ~ one dh + one 5yo boy + baby in 2011
#47 of 155 Old 11-08-2010, 09:28 PM

I get weighed on thursday, but I doubt if I've gained more than 2-3 lbs yet. I didn't gain anything until after 20 weeks with DD, and I had a belly by that point. (I have a belly now too of course)

#48 of 155 Old 11-08-2010, 10:05 PM

Quote:
I get weighed on thursday, but I doubt if I've gained more than 2-3 lbs yet. I didn't gain anything until after 20 weeks with DD, and I had a belly by that point. (I have a belly now too of course)
Yeah I will have to gain 6lbs at this point to get to my pre-pregnancy weight. I'm 23w. It's not like I didn't gain in the end last time!

aka ~lioneyes~ :: In love with DH :: DD 5 :: new sweet baby girl 3/14/2011~ both born at home in water
#49 of 155 Old 11-08-2010, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter

Jessica, I am so sorry for your family's loss and I think you did a good thing for your kids by keeping the sad truth from them.

(3/2011), our son Ezra
(Jan 2016)
#50 of 155 Old 11-08-2010, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest~mama View Post
Yeah I will have to gain 6lbs at this point to get to my pre-pregnancy weight. I'm 23w. It's not like I didn't gain in the end last time!
I'm about 5 lbs over my pre-pregnancy weight at 20 weeks. I feel like I should have gained more by now, but I'm sure it will happen in time. I'm not dieting or anything; I'm just not as hungry as I thought I would be. I know for some people this would be a passive-aggressive brag, but this is my first pregnancy and I am fine with gaining weight. I'm trying not to worry about how slowly it's going.
Posted via Mobile Device

#51 of 155 Old 11-08-2010, 11:15 PM

I've been so busy- but enjoying taking some time out tonight to hear how everyone is doing.

I am finally getting lots of movement and loving it. It's really helping me connect with baby and get excited.

We aren't telling our names, but I think we've mostly settled on them

I am having this baby 6 weeks before I finish nursing school and right when I am supposed to start a preceptorship. I am worried about making a good plan that meets my needs and baby's needs... I really have no choice but to finish and so I need to face the situation and make a good plan. Both my DH and my mom are flexible and will be caring for baby when I'm with my preceptor. I am debating if it's better to stretch it out in half shifts or just knock it out with full shifts- any advice? There are no options to bring baby (even though in some settings it would be a great example and no problem) they will not negotiate on this.

Mama to DD-9, DSS-11, happily married and living with 1dog, 1 cat, 7 chickens, and 2 ducks....expecting 03/11
#52 of 155 Old 11-08-2010, 11:17 PM

So sorry, MilosMomma. That's the worst.

We are looking into buying a second home so we can rent out our current one... not entirely sure I want the stress of house hunting/ buying again already (we've only owned our current home for 2 years in December), but interest rates are super low and the market is slow, so seems like a good time to buy. Our current home is 950 sq ft with no garage, a very small lot, and no closets. For the most part it is really ok, the living space is fine, but the bedrooms are pretty small with no way to build in closets because of size and shape of the rooms. Currently my daughters share one room, and we have a third bedroom that functions as a guest room/ play room/ storage room, and of course when this baby needs a bedroom that will become a problem. The storage issue is bad to the point that the first year we were here, our fake Christmas tree and other decorations were up until February because we couldn't figure out what to do with them. They ended up in a corner in the third bedroom...

So we are meeting with a mortgage broker tomorrow and hopefully we can get the ball rolling. We are really interested in a big old fixer upper near by that would be soooo fun to restore. We have totally redone our current house and really enjoy the process, so it would be neat to have a more historic home that has a lot of character already.

Still, I have moments when I think it's crazy...

Mama to 3 awesome girls: DD1 born 2001, DD2 born 2002, DD3 born March 2011

#53 of 155 Old 11-09-2010, 02:20 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
SILVERLACE- that's a rough spot. I'm sure you know better than anyone what you can handle, but I think I would do the half shifts. If dh and mom can bring the baby to you for nursing, it would make life easier for you I bet. I say pump as little as you have to, you know?

Katroshka-would love to see pics of your home handy work if you fee like sharing

Banana, doula wife to Papa Banana and mother to Banana One, Banana Two, Banana Three, Banana Four...

#54 of 155 Old 11-09-2010, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverLace View Post

I am having this baby 6 weeks before I finish nursing school and right when I am supposed to start a preceptorship. I am worried about making a good plan that meets my needs and baby's needs... I really have no choice but to finish and so I need to face the situation and make a good plan. Both my DH and my mom are flexible and will be caring for baby when I'm with my preceptor. I am debating if it's better to stretch it out in half shifts or just knock it out with full shifts- any advice? There are no options to bring baby (even though in some settings it would be a great example and no problem) they will not negotiate on this.
i would go with the half shifts as well. when i went back to work, the half days were all that made it bearable. well, that and the fact that it was dad/grandma with the baby.

#55 of 155 Old 11-09-2010, 11:39 AM

Hey guys, so sorry to hear about people's beloved pets.. that is really sad =( They are such a part of the family!

I have one of the never ending colds/viruses here too... though only onto week 2 now but still I am ready for this virus to get going out of my system!

Had my ultrasound yesterday and found out it is a boy! I was not ignoring the pregnancy before and had been enjoying the kicks but something about the ultrasound really affected me more then I expected. I think some small and irrational part of me was not convinced there was not a baby in there but maybe a tumor with a heartbeat or something. Anyway - I am super happy about it

It is also nice to know that the reason I seem to be peeing even more then I did when pregnant with DD might be that this little boy has his butt wedged down super low. I think he has always been hanging out super low cause when trying to find the HB the midwives previously ended up having to look lower then they expected.

I have an anterior placenta again - not surprised based on the movement I have been feeling. Do people tend to have placentas in the same spots I wonder?

He measured a week big as did my fundus but no one seemed to think that was an issue (it was barely mentioned) so I am glad about that. I am certain of my dates anyway.

Jcregan, Mom to DD 4yo. DS born 3/10/2011.winner.jpg  waterbirth.jpg   and trying cd.gif  for the first time.
#56 of 155 Old 11-10-2010, 06:12 AM

i woke up this morning in pain. i'm hoping it's just, er, bloating. but even walking is hurting. :/

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcregan View Post

Hey guys, so sorry to hear about people's beloved pets.. that is really sad =( They are such a part of the family!

I have one of the never ending colds/viruses here too... though only onto week 2 now but still I am ready for this virus to get going out of my system!

Had my ultrasound yesterday and found out it is a boy! I was not ignoring the pregnancy before and had been enjoying the kicks but something about the ultrasound really affected me more then I expected. I think some small and irrational part of me was not convinced there was not a baby in there but maybe a tumor with a heartbeat or something. Anyway - I am super happy about it

It is also nice to know that the reason I seem to be peeing even more then I did when pregnant with DD might be that this little boy has his butt wedged down super low. I think he has always been hanging out super low cause when trying to find the HB the midwives previously ended up having to look lower then they expected.

I have an anterior placenta again - not surprised based on the movement I have been feeling. Do people tend to have placentas in the same spots I wonder?

He measured a week big as did my fundus but no one seemed to think that was an issue (it was barely mentioned) so I am glad about that. I am certain of my dates anyway.

yay for a boy!!!

my placenta is on top, and it was last time as well, so i was wondering about that too.

#57 of 155 Old 11-10-2010, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcregan View Post

measuring up to a week off is really common. the measurement is based on the average size of a baby at that gestational age, but just like after they are born, there are lots of deviations from the average. that's why dating the pregnancy via ultrasound is only accurate in the first couple months, before deviations from average are significant. 

#58 of 155 Old 11-10-2010, 01:18 PM

Last time I gained a total of 50 lbs.  From 117 to 167.  (And then within about 2 months I was down to 121, and I think the extra few lbs was increased breast size and lots of milk.)

I was weighted at 20 weeks and was only up about 7 lbs from my pre-preg weight of 138.  

Yeah, I started this pregnancy 20 lbs heavier than the previous one.  I lost the pregnancy weight and was fine for a while, then a year later my health tanked and I gained 25 lbs.  I was in the process of losing it when I got pregnant.  I think that kept my weight lower this pregnancy, because I was eating such a high-protein and high-fat diet for the first part of pregnancy.  The rest of my slimmed back down to what feels normal for me, but my belly got big.  But now my body won't let me eat like that.  It just says no.  So I wouldn't be surprised if I gain much faster in the second half.  I am sooooo craving carbs.

I am hoping to gain a more average amount this time around.  Maybe my knees wont hurt so bad during labor, and i can try a variety of positions this time.  

Leigh, mama to Rostislav homeborn Aug 9 2007, and Oksana homeborn Feb 24 2011.
#59 of 155 Old 11-10-2010, 06:00 PM

I have an anterior placenta this time, but didn't during my first two pregnancies. For other anterior placenta mommies: Do you get kicks way at the top, way at the bottom, and way to the sides of your uterus? I think it's so strange, I remember getting them mostly in the middle of my belly before, can't even remember kicks in the places I get them now. Here are some house pics.

The first is our new kitchen looking towards the dining room. The second is the new flooring we put in, bamboo. The kitchen, hallway, and dining room all have it now, too, and there is green baseboard. The third is from the dining room, looking into the old kitchen, the week we moved in. The old kitchen was crazy, it had 3 types of cabinets, none of which were installed correctly and one wall of cabinets jutted out in front of a window. Our new kitchen is sooooo nice compared to it. We made the counter top out of bamboo, and did all the work ourselves. I'll be a little sad to leave all the pretty work we've done, but excited to start on a new project in a bigger house. Kitchen.jpg

Living room floor.jpg

Old kitchen.jpg

Mama to 3 awesome girls: DD1 born 2001, DD2 born 2002, DD3 born March 2011

#60 of 155 Old 11-10-2010, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

OK... this new lay-out is trippy. Time to go fix my siggy and explore...

(3/2011), our son Ezra
(Jan 2016)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page