December Chat Thread - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

#61 of 194 Old 12-07-2010, 03:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandrine View Post

Sara~ I am trying to put more salt on my food and i'm trying to drink a pop a day but it seems like harder to get into a habit than say eating chocolate once a day. :lol:

Are you well hydrated and taking prenatal vitamins?  I'm not sure extra salt will bring up your blood pressure.  I have read (in Anne Frye's midwifery texts) that salt only causes a blood pressure reaction in people who are allergic to chlorine.  It is a reaction to the chlorine in salt that is doing it.  So, if you haven't seen any results yet, I wouldn't go crazy with the salt, definitely not to the point where you are struggling to eat the foods you're salting!  

I found this page with a few remedies.  You'll have to research whether they are safe in pregnancy, as I think the page is just a general fact page: http://www.home-remedies-for-you.com/remedy/Low-blood-pressure.html

Another page also suggests a possible thyroid connection which might be worth looking into.  And, if you're not feeling any ill effects, it might not be worth stressing about it.  Just make sure your supporting good blood health, good iron, good platelets, cause you're not going to have a ton of wiggle room if you bleed after birth.  Eat lots of green leafies, spinach, dark lettuces, alfalfa.

Mom to eight!!  Our twin girls arrived 3-3-2011.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 194 Old 12-07-2010, 03:25 PM

i'm another one with low blood pressure. it think it was  like 110/59 or something of that naure it may have been a bit lower... my midwife laughed and said " well no worries about high blood pressure from you"

I had some one do the scary experince with homebirths and dying thing to me. why do poele feel it is nesscary to tell you all the bad things that oculd happen or they have heard of. I don't tell you all the horror stories of hospitals and the fact that in some cases with c-sections they have accidently set mamas on fire... Yea I can get into lots of horror stories but they don't help anyone, just make people scared. guh *le sigh*

ahh well on the plus side my pelvic pain has really gone down since i started seeing a chiropractor. i have only been three times now i think and they have been spaced out and I feel so much better. Now granted I live with a Massage Therapist so I have that added benefit without the extra cost. But it's nice to feel better.

I figure i must be huge ( i'll post an updated pic later) or One of the men at church's wife was really tiny during her pergancies, as He keeps comments on how "very" pregnant I am. I know I get big I do and it's all in the belly. ( except I seem to have a bit more of a butt with this one) but yea tiny is not really a descriptor for me and pregnancy. but still I guess i just must look it, i'm shorter and my baby's sit out, very out.... ah welll it's only gonna grow

SAHM to D ( 10/06 ) A (10/08) & C (03/11)
#63 of 194 Old 12-07-2010, 03:26 PM

Happy December everyone!

I had super bad hip/back pain with DD (hurt my hip around 20 weeks - couldn't drive/walk without wanting to cry etc.).  I went to a chiropractor and did lots of ice etc. and that helped get me sort of functional again.  I also teach at a community college with a massage school so I got every other week or weekly massages for few months =).

It never totally resolved -even a couple months after she was born so I finally went to a Physical Therapist who was able to help me move my hip back in place with a simple exercise.  It actually took a couple years to stop having back pain fairly often until I really got back do doing some exercise that included lots of back/abs strengthening.  I do wish I had gone to a PT during pregnancy as I think it would have helped as well.

This time so far so good (knock on wood) just slight back pain and stiffness occasionally.  I think that I am much stronger in my core muscle to start this pregnancy and started prenatal yoga/pilates DVDs right away and it helps a bunch.

Don't be afraid to seek some help - although hip back pain is normal in pg it doesn't mean that something like yoga, PT, massage, or a chiropractor can't help a bit!

Had mw appointment today and all looks good still.  HB in 140s and fundal height still 1 week ahead so growth is steady from last time.  Got the go ahead for our 11 hour drive for x-mas (taking 2 days each way and plan to get out a lot to walk).  

I had been eating WAY to many cookies - definitely got to cut down a bit.

I guess I should do some Christmas decorating to go with those cookies... we won't be here over the holiday but I still want to do a little decorating.  I might put our small tree in DDs room and some stuff on the stairway banister or something like that.  With end of semester exams/grading it is a crazy time of year!

Jcregan, Mom to DD 4yo. DS born 3/10/2011.winner.jpg  waterbirth.jpg   and trying cd.gif  for the first time.

#64 of 194 Old 12-07-2010, 04:36 PM

This is an aside, but:

People are  confusing/annoying me when they ask how pregnant I am.  I'm 24 weeks pregnant, but people want to know in months.  To me, a pregnancy (40 weeks) is shorthanded as about 10 months even though I KNOW that a month has 4-5 weeks, not just a flat 4 weeks.  It's easier to divide by 4 than by 4.333333333 (etc).  But when I tell people I'm 6 months pregnant and they add 3 months (because they "know" a person is pregnant for 9 months, which is sort of true and sort of not true, mathematically), they get confused about when I'm due. It's only off by a few weeks, but it's still annoying me!  ;)

ETA: I guess I could say I'm 6 LUNAR months along!

First child born March 2011.  Constantly in awe!
#65 of 194 Old 12-07-2010, 04:36 PM

(double post)

#66 of 194 Old 12-07-2010, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

This is an aside, but:

People are  confusing/annoying me when they ask how pregnant I am.  I'm 24 weeks pregnant, but people want to know in months.  To me, a pregnancy (40 weeks) is shorthanded as about 10 months even though I KNOW that a month has 4-5 weeks, not just a flat 4 weeks.  It's easier to divide by 4 than by 4.333333333 (etc).  But when I tell people I'm 6 months pregnant and they add 3 months (because they "know" a person is pregnant for 9 months, which is sort of true and sort of not true, mathematically), they get confused about when I'm due. It's only off by a few weeks, but it's still annoying me!  wink1.gif

Yeah, that bugs me too. Calculating months is too much for my brain right now, so I usually just stammer, "uhhhh... I'm due in March." orngtongue.gif

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#67 of 194 Old 12-07-2010, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post

Quote:

This is an aside, but:

People are  confusing/annoying me when they ask how pregnant I am.  I'm 24 weeks pregnant, but people want to know in months.  To me, a pregnancy (40 weeks) is shorthanded as about 10 months even though I KNOW that a month has 4-5 weeks, not just a flat 4 weeks.  It's easier to divide by 4 than by 4.333333333 (etc).  But when I tell people I'm 6 months pregnant and they add 3 months (because they "know" a person is pregnant for 9 months, which is sort of true and sort of not true, mathematically), they get confused about when I'm due. It's only off by a few weeks, but it's still annoying me!  wink1.gif

Yeah, that bugs me too. Calculating months is too much for my brain right now, so I usually just stammer, "uhhhh... I'm due in March." orngtongue.gif

I just did the math, and if anyone asks me tomorrow, I'm saying I'm I am 5.538461538461543 months pregnant.

#68 of 194 Old 12-07-2010, 04:54 PM

lol.gif

#69 of 194 Old 12-07-2010, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaPOW! View Post

Sand~surely the caffeine in the chocolate could only help. i say try out a heavy chocolate diet and find out ;) i think i'll give that a shot myself :D

biglaugh.gif Thank you for the laugh!

Quote:

Originally Posted by mylilmonkeys View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandrine View Post

Sara~ I am trying to put more salt on my food and i'm trying to drink a pop a day but it seems like harder to get into a habit than say eating chocolate once a day. :lol:

Are you well hydrated and taking prenatal vitamins?  I'm not sure extra salt will bring up your blood pressure.  I have read (in Anne Frye's midwifery texts) that salt only causes a blood pressure reaction in people who are allergic to chlorine.  It is a reaction to the chlorine in salt that is doing it.  So, if you haven't seen any results yet, I wouldn't go crazy with the salt, definitely not to the point where you are struggling to eat the foods you're salting!  

I found this page with a few remedies.  You'll have to research whether they are safe in pregnancy, as I think the page is just a general fact page: http://www.home-remedies-for-you.com/remedy/Low-blood-pressure.html

Another page also suggests a possible thyroid connection which might be worth looking into.  And, if you're not feeling any ill effects, it might not be worth stressing about it.  Just make sure your supporting good blood health, good iron, good platelets, cause you're not going to have a ton of wiggle room if you bleed after birth.  Eat lots of green leafies, spinach, dark lettuces, alfalfa.

Thanks for the info! I will look into it and try to drink more. :) Oh and take my vits.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

This is an aside, but:

I just did the math, and if anyone asks me tomorrow, I'm saying I'm I am 5.538461538461543 months pregnant.

LMAO!!!!!

Sand, Mom to three girls and a new SON!!!!  babyboy.gif Born on March 7th, 2011  I get to do these again:   bfinfant.gifslingboy.gifcd.gif
#70 of 194 Old 12-07-2010, 07:45 PM

yeah the months vs weeks thing is a PITA for sure. i've just been referring to the months, since that's what people are usually after. i'm about 5 and a half months along right now.

which, it appears, is the bleeding gums phase of pregnancy. i've had some bleeding the last couple of days when i floss and have been hoping that it would just go away. but this is the third day, and it seems like it's getting worse :( really not cool for me, as i have a lot of anxiety about this pregnancy causing dental problems. i had a TON of dental work after my last pregnancy. and don't have a lot of wiggle room for more dental problems. sigh.

any suggestions on how to cut down on the bleeding? i'm already flossing a few times a day, as per my usual. brushing twice a day, chewing xylitol gum... ugh!

Sara ~ one dh + one 5yo boy + baby in 2011
#71 of 194 Old 12-07-2010, 08:41 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

mlm- the eye thing sounds super stressful!

JC- I am driving 9 hrs to the in-laws this Xmas, and I have also been eating too many cookies.

Sand- my BP is typically 80/50. It's always quite low, though (and this is at the DRs office, MW takes it in my home-I think that makes a difference!) not so low. I was getting a little dizzy after siting for prolonged periods of time in the beginning of the 2nd trimester. I made a real effort to increase my water intake, and it's totally resolved itself. MW doesn't seem too concerned, though it seems to take some effort on her part! lol.gif

Banana, doula wife to Papa Banana and mother to Banana One, Banana Two, Banana Three, Banana Four...

#72 of 194 Old 12-08-2010, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaPOW! View Post

yeah the months vs weeks thing is a PITA for sure. i've just been referring to the months, since that's what people are usually after. i'm about 5 and a half months along right now.

which, it appears, is the bleeding gums phase of pregnancy. i've had some bleeding the last couple of days when i floss and have been hoping that it would just go away. but this is the third day, and it seems like it's getting worse :( really not cool for me, as i have a lot of anxiety about this pregnancy causing dental problems. i had a TON of dental work after my last pregnancy. and don't have a lot of wiggle room for more dental problems. sigh.

any suggestions on how to cut down on the bleeding? i'm already flossing a few times a day, as per my usual. brushing twice a day, chewing xylitol gum... ugh!

you may be over-flossing. because your gums can be over-sensitive right now, flossing can cause more inflammation and bleeding. flossing really doesn't need to be done more than once a day unless there's stuck food. 

Marissa, Partner to J geek.gif, SAHM to A (05/09)fly-by-nursing1.gif and I (03/11)stork-boy.gif. we cd.gif
selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.giffemalesling.GIFecbaby2.gif part-time and familybed1.gif through infancy. planning ahomebirth.jpg
#73 of 194 Old 12-08-2010, 07:16 AM

there's no way that i'd brush my teeth and not floss, there is always food that is left behind after i just brush! i posted this on facebook as well and my midwife suggested "More vitamin C and bioflavonoids like Rutin".

#74 of 194 Old 12-08-2010, 08:18 AM

I am going in to see my dentist after a hiatus (I've never had a cavity, so I always thought it wasn't super urgent.)  Apparently, I have build-up of tartar under my gum line which can contribute to gum disease and eventually bone loss!  So In a few weeks I am having a cleaning done that involves novicaine and cleaning underneath the gums.  Sounds perfectly awful and I will never wait this long again!

#75 of 194 Old 12-09-2010, 06:02 AM

when's your appointment Lousli? hope it's over quickly for you! i am jealous of your virgin teeth :D

#76 of 194 Old 12-09-2010, 08:16 AM

The last week in December, I think, I have to check my calendar.

#77 of 194 Old 12-09-2010, 04:23 PM

I never had a cavity until I got pregnant with DS.  Then after him I went for my scheduled appointment and showed up with 4 small cavities.  I was not a happy camper!  I just find it odd what pregnancy can do to a person's body. 

Oh, my eyesight also changed for the better when I was pregnant with DS.  I need new contacts, but I've been waiting to go to the eye doctor in case it happened again.  Any ideas on how long one has to wait for that?

Aleyna - Mom to 6 yo DS1 wild.gifRascal and DS2 Tiny born 03/24/11
#78 of 194 Old 12-10-2010, 12:02 AM

my optomitrist wouldn't check my eyes until 6 months postpartum

yea the weeks things is bugging me and the questions of how much longer do you hvae... I usually shug and say I;m not sure baby will come Marchish.

#79 of 194 Old 12-10-2010, 09:20 AM

just having one of those mornings. between waking up at 7:30 and 8 I, realized I forgot to start the dishwasher last night, realized I forgot to start the dryer last night, dropped the milk carton and spilled milk, had a sausage patty flip off my plate (and took 2 minutes to find where it landed), and had my oatmeal overflow in the microwave. at least nothing more has happened in the last 20 minutes. 

Marissa, Partner to J geek.gif, SAHM to A (05/09)fly-by-nursing1.gif and I (03/11)stork-boy.gif. we cd.gif
selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.giffemalesling.GIFecbaby2.gif part-time and familybed1.gif through infancy. planning ahomebirth.jpg
#80 of 194 Old 12-10-2010, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO_Bookwyrm View Post

Oh, my eyesight also changed for the better when I was pregnant with DS.  I need new contacts, but I've been waiting to go to the eye doctor in case it happened again.  Any ideas on how long one has to wait for that?

Mine got awful with dd1, I had to get glasses to finish my last semester at school. But it went back to normal (only just barely nearsighted) afterwards, and then the glasses were too strong!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliy View Post

yea the weeks things is bugging me and the questions of how much longer do you hvae... I usually shug and say I;m not sure baby will come Marchish.

Most people don't even realize I'm pregnant yet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marissamom View Post

just having one of those mornings. between waking up at 7:30 and 8 I, realized I forgot to start the dishwasher last night, realized I forgot to start the dryer last night, dropped the milk carton and spilled milk, had a sausage patty flip off my plate (and took 2 minutes to find where it landed), and had my oatmeal overflow in the microwave. at least nothing more has happened in the last 20 minutes. 

I have these random days when I keep dropping stuff. It's pretty lame. 

Banana, doula wife to Papa Banana and mother to Banana One, Banana Two, Banana Three, Banana Four...

#81 of 194 Old 12-10-2010, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana731 View Post

Quote:

I have these random days when I keep dropping stuff. It's pretty lame. 

yeah, I think between not feeling so great last night and waking up too early this morning, it was just not a good combo. things did start to go a lot better. I've decided I'm just not meant to be awake before 8 am right now. 

#82 of 194 Old 12-12-2010, 09:06 AM

Anyone else snowed in this weekend?  I think there are a few other midwesterners on here.

We are got maybe 17 + inches yesterday and not temps about 1 degree but with -20 to -30 windchills for the next couple days.  Roads are still in terrible conditions.

DH is out shoveling my car out now - he had to come in to warm up a minute ago and said he was about 1/3 done with the end of the driveway.  I feel bad for him but I am glad he is here to do it for me!

Oh no... now a plow is out on the road - I hope it doesn't plow in what he just shoveled!

Jcregan, Mom to DD 4yo. DS born 3/10/2011.winner.jpg  waterbirth.jpg   and trying cd.gif  for the first time.
#83 of 194 Old 12-12-2010, 10:55 AM

We're getting a ton of rain here this weekend- they're talking about flooding and landslides. I just spent an hour up on the roof, in the pouring rain, cleaning and unclogging our gutters (they're built into the roof; not normal gutters) because they were all overflowing and flooding the yard. Yuck. I also discovered it's getting a little more difficult going up and down a ladder with this belly in the way! lol.gif

#84 of 194 Old 12-12-2010, 11:53 AM

I don't think we've had more than 4 inches of snow on the ground at once yet. some years we get like 3 feet in two days, and some years we never have more than 4-5 inches on the ground at once. I'm hoping this year is one of the latter type. 

#85 of 194 Old 12-12-2010, 12:21 PM

we are also getting lots of snow and the windchilll. brrrrrrrrr It's -24 with the windchill here and it will go down to -31F with the windchill tonight. brrrrrrr We probably got about 5-10cm of snow and still have about the same amount to come in the next 24hrs. Dh isn't here and I'm not shovelling or sending my big girls to shovel, so the snow will just have to wait. I'll do a path  but that's it. Dh is out of town and is supposeto fly in tonight but i'm not sure if he will be able to or not. All depends on the weather at that time.

Sand, Mom to three girls and a new SON!!!!  babyboy.gif Born on March 7th, 2011  I get to do these again:   bfinfant.gifslingboy.gifcd.gif
#86 of 194 Old 12-12-2010, 05:40 PM

it snowed all day here and it's supposed to snow all day tomorrow too!

#87 of 194 Old 12-12-2010, 08:09 PM

rain and more rain here.. i'd love snow. I don't know if we'll be having a white christmas just a green wet one.

i think i may have hemerroids//// bah..... :(

i have been hurting the last few days.... oh third trimester why can't you be any nicer than the other two???

#88 of 194 Old 12-13-2010, 12:10 AM

We had a dusting of snow and the windchill is 10F at the highest.  I don't mind cold weather, but I hate it combined with heavy wind.  It just cuts right through me.

Aleyna - Mom to 6 yo DS1 wild.gifRascal and DS2 Tiny born 03/24/11
#89 of 194 Old 12-13-2010, 02:18 AM

Quote:

rain and more rain here.. i'd love snow. I don't know if we'll be having a white christmas just a green wet one.

i have been hurting the last few days.... oh third trimester why can't you be any nicer than the other two???

I'm sorry. I still have some first trimester symptoms, second trimester symptoms, and already have some third trimester symptoms. 

I'm starting to feel huge. I know I'm not huge, I know I'm going to get much bigger, but I still feel huge. 

#90 of 194 Old 12-13-2010, 06:20 AM

Just tons of rain here too, record setting rain. And for Oregon, that's something. I'm hoping it clears up a little bit before my Tuesday morning bike commute. The clogged storm drains make biking a huge PITA.

Someone really needs to take a picture of the pregnant lady up on the roof cleaning gutters! What a great pic for your photo album that would be :D

Quote:

We're getting a ton of rain here this weekend- they're talking about flooding and landslides. I just spent an hour up on the roof, in the pouring rain, cleaning and unclogging our gutters (they're built into the roof; not normal gutters) because they were all overflowing and flooding the yard. Yuck. I also discovered it's getting a little more difficult going up and down a ladder with this belly in the way! lol.gif

Are some of you in your third trimesters now?

I feel like we've really got a handle on the xmas gifts at this point, way earlier than we normally do. But I didn't keep very good track of who gave what, so there might be some disproportion there. I wish we could send gifts just as "The Kapows" but that was awkward the year that we tried it. gift politics!

Quote:

Quote:

I'm sorry. I still have some first trimester symptoms, second trimester symptoms, and already have some third trimester symptoms. 

I'm starting to feel huge. I know I'm not huge, I know I'm going to get much bigger, but I still feel huge. 

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page