December Chat Thread - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

#181 of 194 Old 12-30-2010, 10:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm debating about whether I want a playpen or not. I had one for my daughters a million years ago, and it was great to be able to put their toys in there and whenever I needed to run to the bathroom or down to the basement to get laundry or whatever I could just throw them in and not worry about them getting trampled by dogs or into something. I kept it as kind of a treat, so they loved going in. This was when we lived in upstate NY and had a much bigger space, though. I don't know where we would put a playpen in our little house now, but still feel like it would be nice, especially with our 3 crazy dogs. A lot of the time my daughters will be around to watch the baby for those few moments, but of course they will be at school a lot, not to mention their numerous after school activities. I guess we will just play it by ear.

I'm getting the Snugglenest, and we'll just see after that what we want to do. I never used a crib with my girls, just had them right on the bed, so I figure we will do that again, but who knows. I know every baby is different, I'm curious what we'll end up dong differently this time around.

Mama to 3 awesome girls: DD1 born 2001, DD2 born 2002, DD3 born March 2011

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#182 of 194 Old 12-30-2010, 11:36 AM

a snuggle nest is that one of thoes co sleeper things? one that you put on the bed? i find them intersting but could never sleep with one.. tired once but i get cllostrophobic with extra stuff in the bed.. i can do people but not stuff

SAHM to D ( 10/06 ) A (10/08) & C (03/11)
#183 of 194 Old 12-30-2010, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Hey mamas, I've been reading but obviously not posting very much.  Christmas preps really kicked my butt.  We waited until the last minute to shop/wrap/mail, so teh last few days before Christmas were INSANE. 

I had my 28 week appt on Monday and everything was great.  BP still good, weight not too bad, GD neg, blood levels were all awesome.  Physically, I'm super.  Emotionally....meh, I'm working on it.

My midwife had quite a time locking on little girl's heartbeat.  Every time she'd catch it, the baby would jump around.  It actually got to be really funny because Steph (midwife) and I were laughing so hard.  I remember DS being like that in utero and now he's WILD.  Ack.  We'll see how this all goes.  I'm just glad that I'm feeling some really good kicks now.  With anterior placenta, I wasn't feeling much for a long time and I was missing it!

---Jessica---Livin' my life from A Peace.gif(1/05 ) to Z  jammin.gif(4/08 ).....and z babyf.gif(3/11)

#184 of 194 Old 12-30-2010, 12:21 PM

I'm debating between getting a pack'n'play, or one of the travel cribs that's basically a pack'n'play but smaller. baby will be in our bed most of the time, but I need a safe place from his sister to put him sometimes, and we'll probably use it for naps and the first part of the night. DD had a pack'n'play that we borrowed from a friend, and she was never in it awake. 

Marissa, Partner to J geek.gif, SAHM to A (05/09)fly-by-nursing1.gif and I (03/11)stork-boy.gif. we cd.gif
selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.giffemalesling.GIFecbaby2.gif part-time and familybed1.gif through infancy. planning ahomebirth.jpg
#185 of 194 Old 12-31-2010, 11:20 AM

I'm thinking about a pack n play too.  My mom is going to do child care 1 day a week for us and is thinking of buying a crib.  I told her Ikea has some that are really inexpensive and she said she would probably go to the used baby things store.  I have no issue with used things (I bought 14 outfits at the thrift shop yesterday for $22!) but I am worried about the safety of a used crib. 

I told her it is fine as long as she makes sure it is a safe one, and that I know that they recently said drop side cribs can't be sold anymore.  She then started to get annoyed with me and told me that she physically will have trouble using a crib that isn't a drop side.  I don't know, it is kind of a pain.  I have a drop side crib at home that we used with our other two, and I've been trying to decide if we will use it again, so I see her point.  At the same time, I know how the crib has been used and maintained and what condition the hardware is in since it is mine.  And a crib at Ikea is like $75.  Hardly a big deal.  Maybe I'll just buy one for her!

#186 of 194 Old 12-31-2010, 11:46 AM

We didn't buy a drop side crib, and I found because the lowering of the mattress and the baby's weight gain is so gradual, it didn't bother me at all.  What did bother me was the diaper changing pad on the dresser with #1, so with #2, I did all his changes on a mat on the floor or the bed.

My mom had a drop-side crib for me that she set up and my kids slept in at her house.  Well, DS really never slept in a crib.  He was never a fan.  But we'd put him in there when we very occasionally visited my mom (maybe he was in it twice for a week or two at a time?).  I suspect it is exactly the kind of crib that they're warning about, and my mom is going to be SO IRRITATED when I don't use it this time, assuming we stay at her house with the new baby at some point.  Moms are like that, huh?  She'll roll her eyes and stomp around, I'm sure.  But it's almost 40 years old, and goodness knows how many times (and how well) it's been assembled and disassembled.

#187 of 194 Old 12-31-2010, 02:47 PM

I think the Ikea crib edges seem a bit lower over-all then many of the dropside cribs I have seen in the past.    The entire crib seems closer to the ground so with the mattress hieght being adjustable it might be easier for some of your moms to use they they might think.

We plan to get an Ikea one.  We have one we used with DD in storage.  It is dropside and was given to us by my step brother who helped set it up at the time.  Now we have nooo idea how to properly set it up and with the ban on drop-side we decided it was not worth it.  It is a really good solid oak crib so I am trying to think of something else to do with the wood now.  My BIL is a carpenter and I might ask if he can make something like a baby doll highchair  / crib etc. with the slats.

To be honest we never really used the crib much for the baby (great place to pile clean laundry though!).  We used a co-sleeper early on then she was in bed with us.. then eventually a toddler bed.  Many of the Ikea ones do convert into a toddler bed so I figure I will use the crib occasionally (maybe naps and as a safe place for baby if we are home alone and I need to pee or shower or whatever).   Then we can use it as a toddler bed later so it won't be a complete waste of money if we don't use the crib setup for much besides laundry again =)

As a PP said I also found the actual diaper changer table a pain and we changed diapers on the floor 99% of the time.   We need another dresser and I might get one of the Ikea ones that can have a changing table top...but won't be surprised if it is not used much.

.... speaking of... we need to get to Ikea soon!  I find walking around a lot getting increasingly difficult and Ikea is never a fast low-walking kind of trip!

Jcregan, Mom to DD 4yo. DS born 3/10/2011.winner.jpg  waterbirth.jpg   and trying cd.gif  for the first time.
#188 of 194 Old 12-31-2010, 02:55 PM

I'm starting to wish we had an Ikea. the closest one is a 5 hour drive away. 

Marissa, Partner to J geek.gif, SAHM to A (05/09)fly-by-nursing1.gif and I (03/11)stork-boy.gif. we cd.gif
selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.giffemalesling.GIFecbaby2.gif part-time and familybed1.gif through infancy. planning ahomebirth.jpg
#189 of 194 Old 12-31-2010, 03:17 PM

I miss Ikea too!!!

Sand, Mom to three girls and a new SON!!!!  babyboy.gif Born on March 7th, 2011  I get to do these again:   bfinfant.gifslingboy.gifcd.gif
#190 of 194 Old 12-31-2010, 06:08 PM

Drop side cribs have been around for decades.  A total of 30something children have been injured by them during that time.  And in all the cases, it was because the side came off and the parents kept using it.

I would still used a drop side crib, if you can find one for sale.

Some babies are not easy to put down without waking.  Having to lean far over the side and practically drop them in is probably not going to work well for babies like that.  The risk is so minimal, even if you were to choose not to exercise any common sense.  

Leigh, mama to Rostislav homeborn Aug 9 2007, and Oksana homeborn Feb 24 2011.
#191 of 194 Old 12-31-2010, 09:40 PM

i'm loving having an Ikea close by.... it takes us like 30 minutes to get there.  I always see cribs in the AS IS section. now if i needed one i would have gone to the midnight madness sale they had before christmas... crib on for $34.

We have our drop side crib but it is just pulled up to our bed right now to use as a co sleeper and for somewhere for me to toss the two year old when he is trying to sleep on top on me...lol

on a different note.. so glad 2010 is done. It has been a trying year for us and i'm just done with it and ready to try something new.

Bring ON 2011

and with it maybe a tiny bit more patience for mommy or little boys who go back to listening.....ugh

SAHM to D ( 10/06 ) A (10/08) & C (03/11)
#192 of 194 Old 12-31-2010, 11:28 PM

Happy New Year's!!!

Sand, Mom to three girls and a new SON!!!!  babyboy.gif Born on March 7th, 2011  I get to do these again:   bfinfant.gifslingboy.gifcd.gif
#193 of 194 Old 01-02-2011, 02:35 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I've dropped off the face of the earth for the holidays, trip to STL to visit the family for them, and the massive clean up upon our return home afterwards. I hope everyone had a nice holiday!

Banana, doula wife to Papa Banana and mother to Banana One, Banana Two, Banana Three, Banana Four...

#194 of 194 Old 01-02-2011, 03:00 PM

I started a January thread for us.

Aleyna - Mom to 6 yo DS1 wild.gifRascal and DS2 Tiny born 03/24/11

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page