December Chat Thread - Mothering Forums

#1 of 194 Old 12-01-2010, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Oh WOW...it's December!!!   So, I figured we could start a new thread.

Of course, now it's harder to refer back to earlier posts that I was going to respond to in this post. 

It's funny, I was never worried about baby position until last pregnancy when DS was still breech at 36 weeks (when they REALLY started worrying about it).  He ended up flipping at 38 1/2 weeks and everything was fine.  But after that month long drama (they mentioned it at 34 weeks, but told me not to worry), it's ALL I can think about this time! 

For Virginia, and whoever else who asked, spinninngbabies.com is a good resource for baby positioning/techniques/advice.  Basically, what somebody told me is that you should visualize your belly button as a beam of light and the beam should always be point straight ahead or down...it should never point up.  Basically, try to avoid reclining.  Check out spinningbabies...there's a lot of good information.

So, we got DD's loft bed set up over the weekend, which allowed us to get her room completely organized, which in turn allowed us to move DS's stuff into the room (now that they're sharing the room).  We've got almost everything out of the smaller bedroom, so we're almost ready to bring baby's stuff in from the garage and REALLY feel organized. 

Have a great day mamas!!!

---Jessica---Livin' my life from A Peace.gif(1/05 ) to Z  jammin.gif(4/08 ).....and z babyf.gif(3/11)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 194 Old 12-01-2010, 03:20 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi Mamas

I'm so bad about posting, but I check in quite a bit.  I'm 26 weeks and have no idea where the time has gone!!  I'm happy and excited that we're getting closer, but a wreck at the same time...in part because I have a ton to de before baby arrives (so I probably need to just go and do it rather than posting here), I'm feeling nostalgic/sad about Fiona not being an only child anymore, and because I'm petrified that I'll suck at being a mama to two.  Baby moves all. the. time. though, which is awesome, and I love experiencing this again.  I think it's way more active than Fiona was...or rather, more aggressive in its kicking.  For those with two or more, did activity levels differ for different sex babies?  We're not finding out in advance, and I've been thinking another girl, but given all of this extreme activity I'm not so sure anymore. 

Camille~
Mama to F (3/09) and S (3/11); and never forgetting my babe gone too soon angel1.gif(4/10).

#3 of 194 Old 12-01-2010, 03:57 PM

both DD and this little boy have been really strong kickers, though it took a lot longer to feel this time around because of having an anterior placenta. 

we had contact from DF's 11 year-old sister this weekend, for the first time since April. It has me worrying about her. SIL's mom has been out of the picture since she was a baby, and their dad is not the best parenting figure I've ever seen, very harsh, into shaming and spanking, treats her like a nuisance. but it seems he's been trying to keep her from having contact with us because he's still with a woman that we've been trying to get him to break up with because she's toxic, both in the way she treats him and the way she treats SIL. FIL claims that the woman has been better, and she was just going through a rough patch, we're not sure what to think of this. but we haven't actually seen them for almost a year and a half now, and FIL seems to be avoiding in-person contact, and from what SIL said when she called, he's been trying to keep her from talking to us. 

Marissa, Partner to J geek.gif, SAHM to A (05/09)fly-by-nursing1.gif and I (03/11)stork-boy.gif. we cd.gif
selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.giffemalesling.GIFecbaby2.gif part-time and familybed1.gif through infancy. planning ahomebirth.jpg

#4 of 194 Old 12-01-2010, 04:51 PM

Jessica - DD has a loft bed, and she LOVES it.  DS is not allowed up there.  It's a giant mess underneath, but we keep meaning to get some little wall-mounted lights down there so she can see to play down there.  I'd really like to get one for DS, too, but it's not in the budget yet.

Camille - what you're feeling is totally normal.  It's a mixed bag.  I'm always sad that they have to share everything and me, but then they have each other and are best friends and constant companions.  I am definitely enjoying this time with my littlest - cuddling him as much as possible and enjoying this time with him as my baby.

Marissamom - that sounds like a difficult situation.

We had an awful school pick-up today.  DD just REFUSED to come home, even though we were going to make our gingerbread house today.  I wanted a root beer float, and so I made little ones for the kids.  OMG, Barqs has caffeine in it!  Caffeine in root beer!  Guh.  Being in our little apartment right now is like being in the middle of a raquetball court.  I hope they come down soon.

#5 of 194 Old 12-01-2010, 05:04 PM

someone posted that they were getting close to the 3rd semester... i guess many of us are!!! end of month for me, though. so close, but so far!

my week continued to be sucktastic. just unbelievable bad stuff. but i'm excited to be entering a new month. and there's a stove guy fixing our busted stove right now, so that's a step in the right direction (and hopefully our last expense for a while (minus xmas presents, ugh!)).

i wish i was feeling more movement. still just small flutters here or there. i think i've been feeling some hiccups every couple of days. my son was a big hiccup'er.

Sara ~ one dh + one 5yo boy + baby in 2011
#6 of 194 Old 12-01-2010, 05:49 PM

When does the 3rd tri officially start? I can't believe we're getting close to that already.... GAH.

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#7 of 194 Old 12-01-2010, 07:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Hi Everyone!  I want to start keeping up with the chat threads so here goes.  I'm 27 weeks now and also wondering when the 3rd tri actually starts?  I've been feeling lots of movement which is nice and hiccups too (DS hiccuped a lot in utero as well).  Hmm... the battery on my laptop is going so I'll be back later!

Married to my best friend
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mama to DS1 4/2009, DS2 3/2011, and DS3 12/22/2014 and two
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Remembering
3/2008
#8 of 194 Old 12-01-2010, 07:13 PM

just like the second trimester, there seems to be some conflicting info on that... i've been seeing 27 weeks and 28 weeks as the start of the 3rd trimester. since i went with 12 weeks (as opposed to 13) for the second trimester, i'll probably go with 27 weeks.

#9 of 194 Old 12-01-2010, 09:29 PM

Peeking in here. :)

I'll be 25 weeks tomorrow and I feel like I've just had a growth spurt! Had a midwife appointment today, and I'm measuring 26 cm (and I gained 4 lbs in 3 weeks) so I don't think this growth spurt is all in my head. ;) Good to know my baby is growing well!

With my past pregnancies, I always counted 28 weeks as the beginning of the third trimester...but seems like a lot of my friends are counting 27 weeks as when it begins. Don't know when I'll consider myself in the third trimester -- probably depends on how big I start to feel. lol

Camille -- my girls were not as busy in utero as my boy was. I'm having a girl this time and she's giving me flashbacks of what movements felt like when I was pregnant with ODD over 5 years ago. I don't know if that's any sort of indication that gender has anything to do with it, but that's been my experience.

Rachel, wife to my beloved DH Rick; mama to my 5-year-old daughter, Kyrie, 3-year-old son, Antonio, and daughter Epiphany, born 3-27-11!
#10 of 194 Old 12-01-2010, 09:35 PM

I think I'll go with 28 weeks too. Especially since I'll likely carry longer than 40 weeks again... that way it will break the trimesters up a little more evenly and I won't be in such a hurry to be done. smile.gif

#11 of 194 Old 12-02-2010, 01:00 AM

Happy December!!!

I also always went with 28wks for 3rd trimester. I'm 26wks and a few days.

Sand, Mom to three girls and a new SON!!!!  babyboy.gif Born on March 7th, 2011  I get to do these again:   bfinfant.gifslingboy.gifcd.gif
#12 of 194 Old 12-02-2010, 06:22 AM

I'm at 25 weeks and will go with 28 weeks for the 3rd tri... I'm expecting to go long (even though I found out from mom that sister and I were both born on our due dates) and I don't need to stretch things out any longer than they will be.

Here are two links from spinningbabies.com that I thought you ladies might want to see- balancing activities for optimal fetal positioning and posture in pregnancy

I am staying home from work today- I've got a touch of sickness and I also have a midwife appt today. I should rest and relax, but I feel like I'm in super nesting mode and I have so much I want to get done! I have plenty of energy now, but I can already feel myself starting to slow down. I don't want to miss out on this opportunity to ready ourselves for baby!

Adrienne - Loving my DH, our daughter Harper 
(3/2011), our son Ezra
(4/2013), and maybe a baby?? 
(Jan 2016)
#13 of 194 Old 12-02-2010, 07:34 AM

I was wondering about the 3rd trimester as well.  I've even seen one site that said 26 weeks!  Anyway, we're almost there, so yay!  I'm excited too that the baby's viability increases a lot over the next few weeks.  It isn't something I like to think about, but it does help me breathe a little easier to know that her chances even at this point are pretty good.

It seems a lot of March mamas are experiencing hiccups.  I haven't felt them yet with this one.  My last one had them all the time! 

#14 of 194 Old 12-02-2010, 11:08 AM

I never noticed any hiccups with DD, and haven't noticed them yet this time. I'm not really sure what they feel like. 

I have a midwife appointment today! and we may talk about moving my duedate because of measuring small on the ultrasound. 

I'm amazed at all the mamas that have the energy to nest. I'm still sapped. I've also been getting overwhelmed and having a breakdown about once a day, so not much has been getting done. 

Marissa, Partner to J geek.gif, SAHM to A (05/09)fly-by-nursing1.gif and I (03/11)stork-boy.gif. we cd.gif
selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.giffemalesling.GIFecbaby2.gif part-time and familybed1.gif through infancy. planning ahomebirth.jpg
#15 of 194 Old 12-02-2010, 11:37 AM

Just chiming in to say my girl was so active, I used to call the O.B. office concerned about frantic movement in the middle of the night.  People who felt my belly were often shocked.  She was like a tornado, and moreso as she got bigger.  And I gained more weight with her and she was smaller than DS.

She did have the cord around her neck several times and pretty tightly at delivery from all the spinning, which may be why she never dropped --> c-section.

She STILL cannot sit still.  She is in constant motion, and has been since birth.  She was standing up and cruising by 7 months.  No one has ever really wanted to hold her in their lap because she never stops squiggling.

I remember one night I paged the O.B. and said there was frantic movement for a half-hour, and he just said, "I think you're going to have your hands full."

My son was mellow inside and is reasonably mellow for a 3yo boy still. 

I can't tell yet about this one because of the anterior placenta, but I think she's about the same as DS was.  DD, though! 

#16 of 194 Old 12-02-2010, 11:40 AM

I definitely don't want to put too much stock in kicking intensity and sex, but this baby definitely uses more force than Fiona.  I don't really have a preference (although admittedly I feel like I'd be more comfortable with a girl...I have a girl now, and I'm a girl).  I think we might have a girl name now (which we've had a really hard time with) so I'm feeling better about that. 

Name Opinion Digression: Adeline/Adelyn....my husband prefers Adelyn, and although I like the other spelling better I don't want her name to be thought of as Madeline without the M.  Thoughts...do you automatically think rip-off of Madeline, but spelled wrong?

Digression over:  My husband has a slight preference for a boy....not from a male bonding side of things but because he thinks children that grow up with an opposite sex sibling relate better to the opposite sex.  I think he might be drawing on his own teenage experience with extreme awkwardsness with girls and attributing it to the fact that he only had a brother and no sister. :) 

Camille~
Mama to F (3/09) and S (3/11); and never forgetting my babe gone too soon angel1.gif(4/10).

#17 of 194 Old 12-02-2010, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyss View Post

Just chiming in to say my girl was so active, I used to call the O.B. office concerned about frantic movement in the middle of the night.  People who felt my belly were often shocked.  She was like a tornado, and moreso as she got bigger.  And I gained more weight with her and she was smaller than DS.

She did have the cord around her neck several times and pretty tightly at delivery from all the spinning, which may be why she never dropped --> c-section.

She STILL cannot sit still.  She is in constant motion, and has been since birth.  She was standing up and cruising by 7 months.  No one has ever really wanted to hold her in their lap because she never stops squiggling.

I remember one night I paged the O.B. and said there was frantic movement for a half-hour, and he just said, "I think you're going to have your hands full."

My son was mellow inside and is reasonably mellow for a 3yo boy still. 

I can't tell yet about this one because of the anterior placenta, but I think she's about the same as DS was.  DD, though! 

Now I definitely can't put much of anything into movement!  I actually have another US tomorrow morning to re-measure the renal pelvis (the spot where the ureter joins the kidney), which measured higher than normal at 20 weeks (not worried...everythign I read said this often occurs because its so small, which begs the question as to why they measure in the first place).  I hope I don't cave and find out the sex!  I'm pretty sure I won't...especially now that we're closer on a girl's name.

Camille~

#18 of 194 Old 12-02-2010, 04:32 PM

Hard to believe we're so close to the 3rd tri already! I'm 24-4, u/s tomorrow and mw next week. I'm battling a head-cold that I hope flees quickly. BH started mellowly this week!

I can't remember more activity with boy vs girl- interesting to read about.

Mama to four ('03, '05, '08 & '11) chicken3.gif
#19 of 194 Old 12-02-2010, 07:04 PM

I'll be 26 weeks this weekend, and I am just feeling huge.  I can't believe I'm going to get bigger than I am now!  

DD (3.5) just changed her mind this week and decided the baby is a boy, so now pretty much everyone is in agreement that they think it's a boy (we're not finding out).  "He" seems to be a bit more mellow than my daughter was, we'll see if the movements pick up in the next couple months.

#20 of 194 Old 12-02-2010, 07:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Is anyone else feeling like their uterus is going to pop out of their stomachs at any time??  LOL.  I just feel so stretched out already!!

Virginia - thanks for the links.  I have been trying to work on positioning for this baby for awhile now.  DS was posterior for most of the pregnancy and I feel that that might have contributed to my C-Section.  I am really hoping for a VBAC this time so I need to start studying that website! 

Married to my best friend
Mama to DS1 4/2009, DS2 3/2011, and DS3 12/22/2014 and two
Remembering
3/2008
#21 of 194 Old 12-02-2010, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crayfishgirl View Post

I definitely don't want to put too much stock in kicking intensity and sex, but this baby definitely uses more force than Fiona.  I don't really have a preference (although admittedly I feel like I'd be more comfortable with a girl...I have a girl now, and I'm a girl).  I think we might have a girl name now (which we've had a really hard time with) so I'm feeling better about that. 

Name Opinion Digression: Adeline/Adelyn....my husband prefers Adelyn, and although I like the other spelling better I don't want her name to be thought of as Madeline without the M.  Thoughts...do you automatically think rip-off of Madeline, but spelled wrong?

Digression over:  My husband has a slight preference for a boy....not from a male bonding side of things but because he thinks children that grow up with an opposite sex sibling relate better to the opposite sex.  I think he might be drawing on his own teenage experience with extreme awkwardsness with girls and attributing it to the fact that he only had a brother and no sister. :) 

well, when i read Adeline, I pronounce it Ad-Uh-Line. when i read Adelyn, I pronounce Ad-Uh-Lin. If that helps at all.

#22 of 194 Old 12-02-2010, 09:11 PM

Midwife and I decided to keep my due-date as March 14th, since DD was born at 39 weeks, but they'll give me an extra week if I go over. so that would make me 25 weeks two days.

#23 of 194 Old 12-02-2010, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockycrop View Post

I'll be 26 weeks this weekend, and I am just feeling huge.  I can't believe I'm going to get bigger than I am now!  

Seriously. Meeeee too. I feel gigantic already.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaPOW! View Post

well, when i read Adeline, I pronounce it Ad-Uh-Line. when i read Adelyn, I pronounce Ad-Uh-Lin. If that helps at all.

yeahthat.gif

#24 of 194 Old 12-03-2010, 12:24 AM

i'm thinking it's crazy that in three months we'll start seeing babies poping out in theis DDC.....

We have been painting this week. our bedrooms were stark white before... so ...blah... now the master is blue and the boys room is green ( well the boys room is still in process)

Feeling huge, really not fond of the fact that my due date time is so different... i feel like i'm still going to go early March. but at least my grandma has a flight booked for March 3rd so the babu can come that night but I would prefer not earlier.

Frustarting moment of the day... DH's brand new Blackberry isn't working right. you can't hear anything on either end with his phone.... it'll call but no noise... so back to the store tomorrow... soo annoying, this phone is for his work so missing calls is a big big BIG deal

SAHM to D ( 10/06 ) A (10/08) & C (03/11)
#25 of 194 Old 12-03-2010, 04:52 AM

Quote:

I love Adeline and want it as a contender... DH is sold on something else. Doh! I pronounce Adeline as Ad-a-line and Adelyn as Ad-a-lynn, so does that change which you prefer? I never even saw that Adeline was Madeline-M until you pointed it out.

(3/2011), our son Ezra
(Jan 2016)
#26 of 194 Old 12-03-2010, 04:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockycrop View Post

Me too! This is a common complaint to my DH, "I am huge! And I'm just going to get huge-er!" It really blows my mind that right now this babe is about 1.5 lbs and is going to go up, up, up. Where is 8 lbs of baby going to fit in there??

(3/2011), our son Ezra
(Jan 2016)
#27 of 194 Old 12-03-2010, 09:24 AM

As usual, I'm not sure what week I'm in!  I finally wrote it on the calendar after my last MW appointment, but I haven't looked at the calendar lately.

I've been tired, as usual, and waking up a lot a night.  Mostly just to roll over and go back to sleep, so that's good.  Last time I had some mid-night insomnia and would get up and do things.  Don't really want to have to do that again.

A few weeks ago I had a wonderful prenatal massage, but ever since then my hips and back have been KILLING me!!  I just got back from a business trip which I had to do a lot of walking for, and my hip hurt with every step.  It really sucks and nothing makes it better.  I know some people suggest chiropractors, but I have never been to one, don't want to spend the money, and am generally skeptical of the underlying principles.  I think I'm just going to be gimpy for the rest of the pregnancy.

I have my next MW appointment on Monday.  Have to do the GTT.  I really don't want to do it.  Bah.  I have not had much of an appetite lately, either.  I get hungry and I eat, but nothing really sounds good or tastes particularly good (except for "bad" stuff like cookies, ice cream and chocolate cake!!).

DS is changing so much.  We're trying to make the 2-1 nap transition and it is a bear.  He really doesn't need or want 2 naps, but he has a hard time surviving on one.  But I'm going to try to focus and do it.  Also really want to try doing the potty training thing!!  The hip pain makes it so hard to do anything on the floor or with bending over.

Other than all that I feel pretty good.  Still in super organizing/cleaning mode.  I like it, though.  I threw a bunch of old make-up away this morning.

#28 of 194 Old 12-03-2010, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginia884 View Post

I pronounce Adeline as Ad-a-line and Adelyn as Ad-a-lynn, so does that change which you prefer? I never even saw that Adeline was Madeline-M until you pointed it out.

Yes, this.

I had some CRAZY pregnancy dreams last night.  Some were just strange, some were really disturbing.  crap.gif

This weekend is going to be a little crazy.  Tonight is my company holiday party, tomorrow is our neighborhood's "Cookies with Santa" night & mid-day Sunday is a friend's baby shower.  I'm also working 7a-3p both Sat & Sun.  And then I have to fit in making cookies for Saturday night and getting a gift for Sunday into that.  It's not quite overbooked....just really, really booked. 

Then Mon & Tues (my actual weekend), I have an OB appointment (Monday) & a class for work (Tuesday).  I could really use a free day.

---Jessica---Livin' my life from A Peace.gif(1/05 ) to Z  jammin.gif(4/08 ).....and z babyf.gif(3/11)

#29 of 194 Old 12-03-2010, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginia884 View Post

I love Adeline and want it as a contender... DH is sold on something else. Doh! I pronounce Adeline as Ad-a-line and Adelyn as Ad-a-lynn, so does that change which you prefer? I never even saw that Adeline was Madeline-M until you pointed it out.

We have a friend named Madeline, but its pronounced Mad-UH-lyn, and we would want Adeline/Adelyn pronounced Ad-Uh-lyn.  Given that (and the fact that Madeline has to correct almost everyone on the pronounciation of her name) we'll almost certainly go with Adelyn.

Adrienne: your name is on my short list too, but my husband has vetoed it because he says he could only ever say it in a Rocky-voice yell as "ADRIENNE!!!!!".  Apparently I'm married to a 10 year old.

Jayray: my hips are killing me too and making it difficult to sleep.  When I get up from my office chair I walk like I'm 100 for the first few steps.  Luckily I seem to be able to walk out the kinks in the morning or after a taking a few steps from my chair and don't have any ongoing pain.

Camille~

#30 of 194 Old 12-03-2010, 02:30 PM

Quote:

Adrienne: your name is on my short list too, but my husband has vetoed it because he says he could only ever say it in a Rocky-voice yell as "ADRIENNE!!!!!".  Apparently I'm married to a 10 year old.

I love my name and have seen a few babies around here on Mothering! I would love to see it make a comeback! The only people who give me the Rocky yell are usually men over 50. There are some people my age who don't even know the Rocky thing.

(3/2011), our son Ezra
(Jan 2016)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page