January Chat Thread - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

#61 of 220 Old 01-09-2011, 04:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm 32wks pg!!!! Only 8wks left. eek! Still have to declutter and clean the house but washing of baby clothes and stuff is well under way. :)

Sand, Mom to three girls and a new SON!!!!  babyboy.gif Born on March 7th, 2011  I get to do these again:   bfinfant.gifslingboy.gifcd.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 220 Old 01-09-2011, 05:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Well, my multi-quotes disappeared. Shoot. Almost 31 weeks here. Getting to the end of it all! DH and I had a nice weekend away at a B&B on Friday night. It was very relaxing to just go away and not have anything to worry about. It was also nice to have all that quiet time, just the two of us. Probably won't be like that ever again, right? 

I am with you all who are not sleeping well. I sleep until about 3am, wake up and pee, sleep till 4, pee, sleep till 5, pee, and then sometimes I can go back to bed, but usually at that point I am wide awake and ready to get up. Naps are glorious when I get the chance, but then my sleep schedule is even more out of whack. 

We have started seeing the midwives every two weeks. At my last appointment they did my glucose finger stick and my hemoglobin. Glucose was great and hemoglobin was high (good thing). This week they'll do the GBS test. We received our birth kit this week and are gathering our supplies. I need to measure for the tub! I'm thinking that when labor really gets going, I'm either going to want to be in my bedroom, bathroom, or tub. How far away is too far away to put the tub? If we put it in a spare bedroom, would that be bad? Or would you jam it into the bedroom? I am still drinking my pregnancy tea and will be adding herbal pregnancy prep in the next few weeks. Will do EPO at 36/37 weeks.

We are also slowly working our way through all the things I want to do before Harper gets here. Baby clothes are washing right now. I washed all the PUL/microfiber diapers yesterday (awesome tip I read online the other day- throw inserts in the dryer for 45 minutes while all the PUL line dries. Then throw it all in together for a final 15 minutes. Keeps your PUL nicer longer). Shrunk my prefolds several weeks ago. Now all I have to do is prewash my newborn Kissas, but I'm hoping to get some more at my shower this month and I don't want to go through that process twice. Check out all this fluff!!! And there is more coming; the first purchase off of our Baby Registry was some small FuzziBunz from Target. Woohoo!

Diapers!

Glad to hear that some of the past health problems around here are resolving themselves. Will be keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers as we move towards the end of pregnancy!

Adrienne - Loving my DH, our daughter Harper 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(3/2011), our son Ezra
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(4/2013), and maybe a baby?? 
(Jan 2016)
#63 of 220 Old 01-10-2011, 07:52 AM

beautiful pic of your fluffies, adrienne! all mine are all out and set and ready, too. so much fun!

i'm 30 weeks today. we're starting back (home)school with the littles after winter break today. i've been knitting soakers and a little hat that the kids kool-aid dyed to give their sister as a birthday present love.gif

Mama to four ('03, '05, '08 & '11) chicken3.gif

#64 of 220 Old 01-10-2011, 10:39 AM

30 weeks today here too! And I have suddenly hit the exhausted, grumpy, please-get-the-hell-out-of-my-personal-space stage of pregnancy apparently.... which is really fun with a 3yo. :P

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#65 of 220 Old 01-10-2011, 01:37 PM

32 weeks! Only 5 more until I am "allowed" to go into labor, and if this one is like my other two pregnancies, only 6 more weeks until I can reasonably expect to. Wow!

Still working on refinancing our house, I really want it to be done so we can get moving on buying a minivan. It's really really going to suck if we have to squeeze all of us into our 2 door Honda Civic, even if it's just for a little while. DH's coworker gave us a lovely, used but brand-new looking Britax Marathon- so stoked about that! But it is huge of course, so putting that between my two daughters is going to be awful, if even possible.

Bought two new dressers this weekend to put in our room so I can get going on organizing baby clothes and diapers. Put most of one together already and cleaned out a lot of the wardrobe that is in there currently. Not very fun but feels good to be getting it done. My daughters are back to school today so I am glad to have something to keep me busy. I had such a great time with them over vacation and I was sad to have them go back to school. Usually I am already back in school and super busy so I am like "get out of here already!", but this time I have been able to just enjoy them, and knowing these are the last few weeks that they are my only kids makes it even more sad to send them back to school. They were happy to go back though, so I am glad about that. They love school, which always seems a little weird to me, but their school is super nice, and they are very social and scholastically motivated, so I guess it makes sense. I was not social, not motivated, and didn't go to a nice school, so I HATED going back, haha.

I'm still worrying a little about how this baby will be in comparison to them... I know it's silly and I will love her just as much and she will be wonderful in her own ways, but my daughters are like the perfect kids, and even DH says this one "has a lot to live up to", which I can see being stressful for her down the road. Oh, well, I guess we always have to worry about something so I just have to deal with it.

Mama to 3 awesome girls: DD1 born 2001, DD2 born 2002, DD3 born March 2011

#66 of 220 Old 01-10-2011, 02:20 PM

31 weeks today! 8-10 weeks left (based on the fact that DD came at 39, and I have two duedates a week apart).

yesterday I got a little hoodie and a three-piece outfit with a jacket. if the current weather is anything to base it on, we're going to have a longer winter, so it will still be cold in March and April. and all the winter stuff is going to be gone from stores in the next couple of weeks. there's swimsuits already, and we're having weather in the 20s. 

I looked at a callender, and I've decided March 4th would be a good day to have him, in the afternoon, except for the fact that my little sister has her highschool play that weekend, and I would feel really bad going into labor before her closing night. DD was born the Day of her ballet recital, luckily they had two performances and I had gone the day before. I may have to try and hold off till the 11th. (DD came on the first day I said she was allowed to, and on a Sunday like we had been telling her to)

Marissa, Partner to J geek.gif, SAHM to A (05/09)fly-by-nursing1.gif and I (03/11)stork-boy.gif. we cd.gif
selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.giffemalesling.GIFecbaby2.gif part-time and familybed1.gif through infancy. planning ahomebirth.jpg
#67 of 220 Old 01-10-2011, 10:21 PM

oh geez i had a contraction today.... that was not fun at all. just one but it knocked me down for the next hour or so. rested had a bath and I'm fine now. but it was the real deal not just a BH. It started up a few BH's through the night.. actaully they are still happening but nothing like it was. I'm really going back to the though of i'm not going to make it to March...

SAHM to D ( 10/06 ) A (10/08) & C (03/11)
#68 of 220 Old 01-11-2011, 06:29 AM

That sounds scary, Aliy!  Glad it settled down. 

I'm 29 weeks, so not as far along as those of you who are due earlier in March.  My "to do" list keeps getting longer and longer.  We still don't have a doula or a pediatrician and I haven't talked to the cloth diaper service people.  Etc., etc.  I'm starting to feel a little overwhelmed by "busy work" like that.

We're due for a snowstorm tonight.  I wouldn't mind if it snowed me in, but this is NYC, so I'll probably still be able to get to work tomorrow.  As long as I don't get stuck on a subway, I'll be fine.  I'm trying to remember to carry a little water and food with me everywhere (people got stuck for 7 hours on one of the trains in the last big snowstorm!!).

My husband wants to go snowboarding in Utah in February with guys from his soccer team.  I want him to be able to go, BUT I wish it were this month instead of next month.  And I wish the guys planning the trip (not my husband) had picked somewhere closer.  I just have this feeling I will worry about him with heightened pregnancy hormones AND really wish he were around to help me out.  ;)

I still have only been maternity shopping one place, and I only bought 2 tops.  I don't have any maternity pants, which I fear will become a big problem in the next few weeks.  But the idea of going uptown to those stores and trying on maternity pants doesn't appeal to me at all.  I also need to get some sort of slip-on tennis shoes (Vans? Chucks?) because bending over to tie my shoes is getting less and less fun.

I don't have to be in to work until later today, so I think I'll do a prenatal yoga video I have kicking around.  Hope everyone has a good week!

First child born March 2011.  Constantly in awe!
#69 of 220 Old 01-11-2011, 06:49 AM

Neuro - maternity pants aren't so terrible, I promise.  Then again, everyone is different.  While it doesn't appeal, I highly recommend comfort - this coming from a prego working at a maternity store.  (Yay for discounts! lol)  If you do decide to give in and go for maternity pants, I highly recommend the overbelly "secret fit" pants.  The pants stop right at the hips, below the belly, and then the material for the secret fit just gets pulled up over your belly.  And when buying most maternity clothes - you want to go with your pre-pregnancy size, anyways.

And try stuff on - highly recommended and encouraged, especially post partum, when you're going for those nursing bras - nursing bras are generally non-refundable due to body fluids.  Places that take them back - I really hope they send them back to whatever corporate headquarters they have - Maternity Motherhood (where I work) - does not take them back.

I really hope your husband's snowboarding trip goes ok - with no hitches, no mishaps, and he gets back in plenty of time for final prep work before baby time.  :-D

Lady Zbyrd <3 Alistair

#70 of 220 Old 01-11-2011, 06:57 AM

I love the secret fit pants!  I have a pair of jeans and then I just bought a pair of black pants that are a softer fabric and look a bit like dress pants but feel like pajamas (at least I am hoping they look kind of like dress pants).

I have no idea how you have made it this far with only 2 maternity shirts and no pants!    I bet you find something comfy if you do go out and you end up loving it.  I also have a Tummy something or other from Motherhood (a stretch belly band type thing - not a support band)... I wear it a lot as I have a couple pairs of pants that don't like to stay up (the secret fit ones do pretty well now that I am bigger though).  I also wear the band at night to keep my pajama pants up or when I do yoga - love it and might have to get a new one soon cause this one is looking elastic strings like crazy (cause I am not careful when I wash it).

Jcregan, Mom to DD 4yo. DS born 3/10/2011.winner.jpg  waterbirth.jpg   and trying cd.gif  for the first time.
#71 of 220 Old 01-11-2011, 07:06 AM

The belly band - some women love them, some don't.  And at Motherhood - we are not there to sell - we have goals, but that's not our point.  Our point is to make sure our pregos and post partum women are comfy, and if we have something that we feel or have heard massive feedback on that doesn't work - we'll tell you we have it if you ask, but we aren't going to press you to buy it just for a sale.  It's not the way we work.  At least not in my store.  :-D

Lady Zbyrd <3 Alistair

#72 of 220 Old 01-11-2011, 09:34 AM

I bought an under-the-belly pair of mat pants online that I really loved when I got them.  They have the button and elastic at the sides to let you change the size a bit.  Well, I've grown out of them already.  eyesroll.gif  I had some kind of belly growth spurt or something over the past few weeks.  So now I am looking for more pants too!!  I have mostly hand me downs.  Two pairs fit okay and all the others are either two big or too small.  I also put on a pair of my (non-maternity, but bigger sized) leggings this morning and they are really squeezing my belly too!!  I can't remember what I wore last time!

#73 of 220 Old 01-11-2011, 09:43 AM

I have tried the underbelly pants with the adjustable bands, too - to be honest, once my belly started looking like a belly and less like lunch, the band would fold under, and I didn't like them much after that.  I still have them - and may need to use them again in the future - but I may end up giving them away on freecycle at some point.

Another favorite maternity article - is overalls!  I'm such a nerd, but I love it!

Lady Zbyrd <3 Alistair

#74 of 220 Old 01-12-2011, 08:13 AM

I could bust out some overalls.  I do have a pair.  I just hate having to undo them every time I go to the bathroom!  And I'm getting into that peeing-every-15-minutes stage. orngtongue.gif

#75 of 220 Old 01-12-2011, 12:07 PM

jayray, I feel your pain.  I have to do laundry every three days, so I can last a week with panties!  As for undoing my overalls, I just undo one shoulder and drop it down.  lol

Lady Zbyrd <3 Alistair

#76 of 220 Old 01-13-2011, 02:45 PM

My shower is next weekend and I am pretty excited about seeing all the stuff we are getting. I did an online registry and have a lot of neat stuff on it, though I've noticed that no one has yet bought cloth diapers for us. My stepmom today said she wants to do a month or so of diaper service (yay!), and said she wants to talk to my aunts about going in for a stroller. I hadn't really even thought about strollers yet, as I never used them until my babies were 3+ months, and until at least 6 months it was mostly to hold the diaper bag and whatnot. But... if we can get one for free then that would be great. We did get a used one from DHs coworker but I'm not crazy about it. I'm planning on leaving it at my parent's house or something, as an extra one.

Has anyone else been looking at strollers? I found 3 that I really liked that aren't TOO crazy expensive- seriously, how can anyone justify charging $1K for a stroller? Anyway, here are the 3 I liked:

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3037730&fromFinder=BRU:StrollerFinder&fromFinderCatId=3515382

http://www.amazon.com/First-Years-Wave-Stroller-Urban/dp/B002WB2GLQ
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4270305

My cleaning/ organizing continues. I got one dresser put together and filled with DHs and my clothes, broke down our old crappy wardrobe and threw it out, moved the newer wardrobe, threw out a bunch of old clothes and started a Goodwill bag... tomorrow I will assemble the other dresser and fill it with baby stuff, which I'm really looking forward to! Will need to wash a bunch of baby stuff, too, which I'm not looking forward to, haha. My laundry is outside, and not even near a door, and I find it is really hard to carry a big heavy load of laundry out there with my huge belly. So I make my kids take it out, but that limits me to doing laundry in the afternoon/ evening, which is kind of annoying.

After that I will be painting my master bath and recaulking the shower, as we have been getting mildew pretty bad. Comes with living near the ocean, I guess.

We recently had our house appraised and it came in a lot higher than what we paid for it (yes!), which means we can refinance with a conventional loan and save $200 a month on our mortgage payment, plus get a refund on our mortgage insurance from our original FHA loan. Should make buying a minivan a little easier, so I'm pretty stoked about that.

DH and my younger daughter left today to go snowboarding on Mt. Hood with DH's brother who lives in Portland. DD is soooo excited, she was really cute about it. Older DD took it pretty well, DH had asked her first if she wanted to go, but was scared of snowboarding so he's taking DD2 first. DD1 says she wants to go next year, I think she'll be ready by then. She gets worked up about the idea of "scary" things, but once she actually does them she's fine... I think if her little sister does it first she will be good to go next year.

#77 of 220 Old 01-14-2011, 10:19 AM

Katroshka: Have you thought about a jogging stroller? I think they are generally much easier to push over any surface you might encounter. We had a BOB Revolution with DD and

got a Baby Jogger City Elite double this time. I definitely want to jog more this time around but for just around town they are great too. You can take them through grass and gravel, 

up and over curbs easily, the wheels never lock or catch, etc..

May, DH, DD born at home 4/08, DS born at home 3/20/11.
#78 of 220 Old 01-14-2011, 01:50 PM

Mayfly: I had a jogging stroller with my daughters and really didn't like it. They are just too big, too hard to take indoors, too heavy. We got it when my kids were older so this wasn't an issue, but I really want a rear-facing stroller. There was a study out last year, I think, about how infants/ toddlers who rode facing their caregivers were more relaxed and happier than those facing forward. Plus I hate all the stopping and stepping around to the front of the stroller every time the LO wants something, cries, wants to point something out, etc. I'd just rather have her facing me.

We are having the most beautiful weather today, it's 75, sunny, absolutely gorgeous. Looking forward to getting out of the house and enjoying it later, I've been assembling a dresser and organizing baby clothes all day. At least I've been able to open all the windows and air out the house.

Going through clothes is making me really excited about this baby. It's really bringing back memories of my daughters when they were tiny, I can hardly wait to meet this one!

#79 of 220 Old 01-14-2011, 02:51 PM

I washed all of my dd's and nephews clothes the other day and put them all in the dresser.  We don't know for sure if it's a boy or girl, so I have both, dd1 wore both anyways so either way is okay, unless it's a boy I guess.  But I was remembering dd when she wore her little sleepers and I really started getting excited! 

I am so grumpy today, it is -30 with windchill and blowing and snowing like crazy! I have to take dd to school and get her for luch, take her back again and pick her up after, it's a small town so it's like a 1 or 2 minute drive, but each time I have to start the  car 10 minutes before, because the frost keeps building up on the inside of the windows, which is harder to clean thatn the outside! I even cried a little the last time I had to leave the house!  That's another thing, my hormones have been nuts, and in a day my mood changes soo much, I am happy, sad, irritated at everything, sooo excited for baby, worried because I'm not working enough.. all at different times throughout the day. It's very tiring, probably for dd and dh and my mom who we are living with right now too! Anyone else feel this way?

I can't wait till we all meet our little ones! The last seven months have gone by surprisingly fast, I can only imagine how fast the next 2 months will go by for everyone! Take care all, and get some rest now while you can! lol

Wife to DH mom to DD(09-05) and DD(03/27).joy.gif

#80 of 220 Old 01-14-2011, 04:33 PM

Sounds like many of us are making baby preparation progress!

We spent last week purchasing a couple dressers from Ikea (and choosing a crib but did not buy it yet) and putting them together and washing clothes from my nephews and from stuff we had with DD and putting them in drawers.  Washed all the sheets and blankets we have from DD (a LOT - wow).  

Then yesterday and today I have been house sorting/organizing.  We tend to let stuff pile up and if felt soooo good to get rid of those piles.  I found 3 pairs of scissors I forgot we had... all in layers in a "random stuff" basket we have that was super full of stuff.

Today I went through kitchen cupboards and drawers and found a ton of stuff in back corners that expired, some of it years ago blush.gif .   Now I have a few extra square feet of counter space, some extra room in a couple cub boards and full trash can and it feels great!!

Now to keep the crap from building up before March.

I have also definitely had some random grumpy moments / sudden mood swings.  Cried pretty hard in the car to the other day to a touching story on public radio.

I am also getting excited!!   Going through the clothes really got me picturing baby and made it feel more real.    Holy Cow guys - we are gonna have babies soon! love.gif

Jcregan, Mom to DD 4yo. DS born 3/10/2011.winner.jpg  waterbirth.jpg   and trying cd.gif  for the first time.
#81 of 220 Old 01-14-2011, 04:56 PM

My best friend is 6 months pregnant and she and her 2 1/2 year old recently got very sick.  Her daughter was sick first, and has been sick for a week.  They ended up in the emergency room this afternoon because the doctors were worried the daughter might have pneumonia.  I went and met them there as moral support, because I didn't think anyone else would (husband working, no family in town).  I didn't stay long because the doctors and my friend didn't want me to pick up anything (germ-wise), but I felt awful leaving them there.  And now I'm reminded of what a germy world it is!  I'm at home sucking on a zinc lozenge.  Stay well, Moms!

#82 of 220 Old 01-14-2011, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Holy Cow guys - we are gonna have babies soon!

joy.gif:joy:joy

I'm having definite mood swings in the past week- things just seem a lot harder to deal with.

But I'm also getting the cleaning/organizing bug, which is great... because my house could really use it! orngtongue.gif All I've really done baby-wise so far is buy a cosleeper and move our bed over so that it would fit in between the bed and DD's toddler bed. It's a tight squeeze, but I think it will work. smile.gif Who knows if we'll even use it... I really got it because I'm afraid to have the baby in the middle of the bed when certain 3yo's like to randomly climb in in the middle of the night. wink1.gif

#83 of 220 Old 01-14-2011, 06:04 PM

I am hoping these next 2 months go by quickly!  Pretty sure I have SPD, I can only walk very slowly and sleeping on my side is painful (although I have no choice! I just switch back and forth 15-20 times during the night).  Also just starting feeling that sudden cervix pressure that makes me audibly gasp.

For a while I thought I had starting nesting, but I seem to have given up for the moment.  I guess already having baby stuff in the house from last time makes me feel a little more relaxed.  I'm trying not to spend any money on things I don't absolutely need, even though a lot of stuff is tempting.  I did get a postpartum belly wrap.  I am so ready to have my fully functioning body back!!

#84 of 220 Old 01-14-2011, 09:30 PM

Neuromancer, it's so nice you wanted to be there for your friend!  There are definitely limitations to what we can do when pg, you know?  It's been hard for me too.  I feel like I haven't "been there" like I would have been otherwise, but glad everyone agreed to make your health a priority.

Changingseasons, we're going to do the same with the mini co-sleeper, but I need to move a bookshelf out of the way first.  Darn near every inch of wall is used up in our apartment, so I'm not sure what to do with the books, but living in southern california and having a co-sleeper right in front of a bookshelf, even one that's bolted to the wall, seems kind of not-smart.  Besides my climbing-in kids, DH and I sleep like rocks sometimes.

rockycrop, I'm sorry you're in so much pain!  That totally sucks.  SPD sounds terrible.  I know what you mean about switching sides all night.  I totally get pressure points on my hips that make me miserable at night.  My u-pillow really helps with that, but doesn't eliminate it.  I'm trying to get more exercise now and drive less, which takes some of the pain away (as do long, hot showers).

I just got my hypnobabies!  I'm excited, but a little wary.  But, I think it will be good for me & dH to focus on this for a while every night.  He is really not looking forward to it, but I really, really want my VBA2C natural, drug-free birth, and I'm willing to work for it.

#85 of 220 Old 01-14-2011, 09:43 PM

Quote:
I just got my hypnobabies! I'm excited, but a little wary. But, I think it will be good for me & dH to focus on this for a while every night. He is really not looking forward to it, but I really, really want my VBA2C natural, drug-free birth, and I'm willing to work for it.

Yay! Let me know what you think of it. I checked it out from my local ICAN library, but I'm not super excited about it... not sure it's exactly what I'm looking for. But I know I need *something*... I'm taking a VBAC class that has rave reviews next month though, so I'm hoping to learn lots of great coping techniques and stuff there.

#86 of 220 Old 01-14-2011, 10:51 PM

I have been doing my Hypnobabies for a couple of weeks as well, and I find with 2 kids in the house it is really, really tough to find a quiet half hour a day for practice, plus time to listen to the affirmations CD daily.  I've been falling behind on my practice, which leaves me disappointed in myself because I really do want a natural birth this time.  I also find that if I do manage to sneak in my practice session, it is nearly always at night, and then I often fall asleep.  I really need to push myself to do it every day. 

Rockycrop, I'm sorry about the SPD.  My friend that just had her baby in December had it, and I could tell how painful things were for her. 

#87 of 220 Old 01-14-2011, 11:01 PM

reality just kind of sunk in, my duedate is 2 months from today, and considering DD was born at exactly 39 weeks, I'll probably already have had my baby two months from now. I'm so not feeling ready. 

Marissa, Partner to J geek.gif, SAHM to A (05/09)fly-by-nursing1.gif and I (03/11)stork-boy.gif. we cd.gif
selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.giffemalesling.GIFecbaby2.gif part-time and familybed1.gif through infancy. planning ahomebirth.jpg
#88 of 220 Old 01-15-2011, 09:05 AM

I know what you mean, Marissamom. We had a mw appt yesterday and started going over the birth plan and birth list and all that. After she left it was like a huge reality check that birth is coming. Fast. March is so close. I feel a torn between being uber tired and wanting to rest every spare minute and the urge to clean and organize and have everything all set for her arrival.

I'm sorry, Rockcrop. That sounds so uncomfortable. greensad.gif

#89 of 220 Old 01-15-2011, 09:09 AM

Ugh.  Update from my friend with the sick toddler (actually from her mother-in-law) is that it's Influenza A (H1N1).  I have not been vaccinated for the flu (this year or ever).  So, of course, I'm feeling guilty about not getting the vaccine and guilty about taking my pregnant self/unborn baby to the ER to meet my friend without knowing more about what was going on.  I have not been very sick at all during this pregnancy (and my life in general), so I don't want to panic, but my brain keeps calling me names for putting myself in a potentially dangerous situation.

Update 2: now I'm told it's Influenza A but NOT H1N1. I'm feeling less freaked out by this news. wink1.gif

#90 of 220 Old 01-15-2011, 09:14 AM

Aw, go easy on yourself! Up the garlic and *try* not to stress. Easier said than done, I know.

Hope the tot gets well quick. And that your friend stays healthy!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page