February Chat - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

#121 of 475 Old 02-11-2011, 10:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Oh, I'm so terrible about keeping up during the week.  My days go something like, appointment, nap... LOL  Throw in two or three trips to school to pick up/drop off kids.  I had my 35 week prenatal on Wed.  Home visit next Thurs.  We're getting close now!  I had this visit with the second midwife, the second time I've met with her this pregnancy, so we had a lot of things to discuss.  The visit took over an hour.  I felt bad when we left, cause there'd been another mom waiting goodness knows how long!  We went ahead and did a cervical exam, due to my spotting over the weekend and the recommendation of the OB.  I'm measuring about 3cm already.  I'm not surprised, but a little panicked.  I have such a strong desire to hold out to 39 weeks, because of my husband's schedule.  He'll have finished two of his four classes this semester and his spring break is the following week.  Four more weeks, please, babies. 

On the other hand, I'm measuring 49 cm and just exhausted and personally wish that we were done.  I heard about another twin mom, relative of one of the kids' teachers, who was due in March and just gave birth.  I was shocked that her babies only measured 3lbs each.  Mine were estimated at 3 lbs at 27 weeks of pregnancy.  But, sounded like they were stable and doing alright.  

Otherwise, I think we are pretty ready for babies.  I need to buy one more skein of yarn to finish a baptismal gown (oh, and call our priest and confirm the date), but the big stuff is bought and assembled.  We upgraded to two plug-in swings, instead of our battery operated one that ate batteries like they were going out of style.  Toddler big sister is so excited every time a box comes and we get more baby stuff.  I wouldn't be surprised if she thinks the babies will arrive in a box delivered by the UPS guy one day. LOL  Our bedroom area is fairly clean and organized.  I just wish we could keep the rest of the house clean, but with 6 kids, it's a losing battle.  

'

Mom to eight!!  Our twin girls arrived 3-3-2011.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 of 475 Old 02-11-2011, 10:39 AM

today the plan is catch up on laundry.... lol this means actually putting it away.. wash the floors vaccumi think i may even clean the fridge out. likley this will be spread over today and tomorrow casue if i try and do it all today who knows what condition i'll put myself into....ugh... dh built some shevles last night so we have to get some things put away... I want my dining room cleared of boxes by the end of this weekend.. i don't care where they go whether it;'s thrift stores or down in the storage room but it needs to be gone.

I'm still a little torn as to where i'm going to put my birth pool the dining room or our bedroom. our bedroom is pretty small a in our room.....and wouldn't leave w hole lot of room. i think i need to see the pool inflated.....

My bobys are going nuts today. I have no idea.. maybe my pateince is just shorter but it's only 930 and this mommy is getting frustrated they are just chasing eachother around the house yelling and just getting into things.... I think i need to find something for them to do....

SAHM to D ( 10/06 ) A (10/08) & C (03/11)
#123 of 475 Old 02-11-2011, 11:44 AM

oy vey you ladies are making me nervous about being prepared.  I'm really just trying not to think about it.  We had to take out our washer and dryer because of our addition/remodel...so I have been putting off doing laundry for the baby- I wouldn't have anywhere to put it anyhow.  The addition is coming along, the sheetrock is all up and the mudder/taper started yesterday (but he doesn't come back until Monday afternoon).  The bedroom set we bought for dd (when she was first born) isn't going to fit in her room, not even close, so I am trying to decide what to do with that...it's only a full so I would rather it not be our guest bed...may have to distribute it between the two rooms.  I don't even want to think about the fact that we could have a midwife assisted birth after the 19th...I did tell her at my last appointment that at this point we will be making the trip to the birth center, it's really a beautiful birth center so I'm ok with that (we will see what I think of the hour drive in labor)...I really did like being home with dd, but we are down a room in our house due to the remodel plus we have an extra bed in our living room.  My dad scheduled a visit for March 4-14th so it's weird to think that he could be here for the birth again..though I'm not due till the 19/23 and dd came at 39w 4d.  It will be nice to have him here if we are trying to finish up paint (he used to be a painter)...although I'm REALLY hoping that we will be instead needing his assistance with moving into the new part of our home!!  This is really mind boggling that we are so close!  ACK!

Shawna- wife to DH, mother to DD (6-2009)
****5****10****15****20****25****30****35****heartbeat.gif

#124 of 475 Old 02-11-2011, 01:22 PM

mylilmonkeys - bless your heart 49cm and wanting to wait 4 more weeks! props to you! i feel like i will split at 33cm.

i'm bad and reschedule my booked appts all the time. i have been stretching them out... well they called looking for me today! ha ha!

Our GREAT #8 due September 2012! joy.gif
#125 of 475 Old 02-11-2011, 01:53 PM

Is anyone else getting a little more short fused? I'm almost 37w and I was pretty good up until a few days ago. I now find I have zero tolerance for dd's attitude or hyper times of the day. I am trying really hard to keep my composure. I also went from not really being tired at all last week to feeling tired all day this week. I'm even sleeping a bit better but I still wake up more tired than when I wasn't. I feel like the baby is going to be here very soon but I can't seem to get up and do things that need to be done. It is a big change from last week when I was going full steam to complete tasks.

I would at least like to get the house in order so that when I do go into labor it's ready for visitors after. At this point it's really not. I don't care about what the midwives think but I do care about the family member that will be trekking through. Anyone else planning a homebirth have these concerns?

aka ~lioneyes~ :: In love with DH :: DD 5 :: new sweet baby girl 3/14/2011~ both born at home in water
#126 of 475 Old 02-11-2011, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bighappyfam View Postm.

i'm bad and reschedule my booked appts all the time. i have been stretching them out... well they called looking for me today! ha ha!

lol.gif

aka ~lioneyes~ :: In love with DH :: DD 5 :: new sweet baby girl 3/14/2011~ both born at home in water
#127 of 475 Old 02-11-2011, 02:34 PM

Had a nice morning. went to LLL with my older sister (who is 16 weeks with her first), then she sorted through DD's outgrown clothes so I have a couple boxes to get rid of (more closet space!). I'm really behind on dishes, and some behind on laundry, so I need to try and get caught up, and then work on organizing the closets and cleaning stuff. I have my home visit scheduled for the 24th, so I want to have everything ready by then. my mom is having a chocolate party tonight, then tomorrow DF and I are doing our valentines date/last date we'll get in a while. sunday is DF's gaming night, then Monday I have an appointment with the chiropractor. busy schedule. and I should be getting most of my diapers next week, right now all I have for this baby is two covers. I've lost track of when all the stuff I've ordered should arrive, but I think a lot of it will be monday or tuesday. 

Marissa, Partner to J geek.gif, SAHM to A (05/09)fly-by-nursing1.gif and I (03/11)stork-boy.gif. we cd.gif
selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.giffemalesling.GIFecbaby2.gif part-time and familybed1.gif through infancy. planning ahomebirth.jpg
#128 of 475 Old 02-11-2011, 02:58 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

MLM- Do you feel like having dealt with six already, that caring for twins won't be that difficult for you or are you apprehensive ? Sorry, I just wonder this kind of stuff! lol.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by forest~mama View Post

Is anyone else getting a little more short fused? I'm almost 37w and I was pretty good up until a few days ago. I now find I have zero tolerance for dd's attitude or hyper times of the day. I am trying really hard to keep my composure. I also went from not really being tired at all last week to feeling tired all day this week. I'm even sleeping a bit better but I still wake up more tired than when I wasn't. I feel like the baby is going to be here very soon but I can't seem to get up and do things that need to be done. It is a big change from last week when I was going full steam to complete tasks.

I would at least like to get the house in order so that when I do go into labor it's ready for visitors after. At this point it's really not. I don't care about what the midwives think but I do care about the family member that will be trekking through. Anyone else planning a homebirth have these concerns?

Yes and Yes. Not so much about visitors, but I want to make sure that my home is at a manageable level, so that when I am done babymooning and get back into the reality of running a home that it's not overwhelming. KWIM? I think I've been doing a pretty good job keeping up with housework and organization this pregnancy though, so I'm hoping my plan will work!

Banana, doula wife to Papa Banana and mother to Banana One, Banana Two, Banana Three, Banana Four...

#129 of 475 Old 02-11-2011, 03:56 PM

I think the nesting bug has come to my house. :D

I did a big batch of spag sauce for my girls. I did laundry and I washed dishes. I never wash dishes. lol I even folded a load of baby things and put it all away.

I'm pretty happy with what I have done today. :)

Sand, Mom to three girls and a new SON!!!!  babyboy.gif Born on March 7th, 2011  I get to do these again:   bfinfant.gifslingboy.gifcd.gif
#130 of 475 Old 02-11-2011, 04:38 PM

i have been so unproductive so far today.... i'm going to have to get my butt in gear.

@ Forest mama.... yup short is a good word for my temper, nearly gone would almost be a better word. and i'm tired super tired. i think a lot of it is the prelabour stuff my body is going through right now. it exhausts me.

still so many things about this baby confuses me.... this baby's shoulders are worrying me a bit and they just seem really big. redface.gif

but it could really be all perception my boys had no problems with their shoulders, heck they barely even stalled at the shoulders....

#131 of 475 Old 02-11-2011, 09:44 PM

Aliy- what preterm stuff are you dealing with? Today I started having tightening/contrax like things. They were on and off all day then got more steady and noticeable as the afternoon went on. They were every 5 min or so all night but short. I didn't have this with DD so it's new to me. I would hate to do that for long, especially going to work and trying to concentrate. Just wondering what anyone else's experience with this type of thing is?

#132 of 475 Old 02-11-2011, 11:16 PM

it's semi irregular contaction type things and I get cervical pain with it. Now I have been told with past pregnancies that I have an irratable uterus, so i have been dealing with this with all my pregnancies stuff. there has been nothing to cause concern yet... no water leaking no mucus plug loss or bloody show. so I know it's just prep stuff. Now my body doing this prep work can be really good. I have had pretty easy laboours and they have been short.. 10 hours and 5 hours from start to finish ( finsih being holding the baby) and only an hour or so of transisition. My first was longer casue he was posterior and I kept being told to lay down.

I just make sure i try all the comfort measures possible to see if things are going to slow down or stop I have a warm bath, lay down relax. change postions frequently, stuff like that.

prodomal labour is normal and can actually be good for you. also known as false labour

#133 of 475 Old 02-12-2011, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katroshka View Post

Guess I need to have one of those talks, too! Freja, you cannot be born until we get our minivan. Period.

Ha!  Mine is, "Baby, stay in until the midwife comes back from vacation two days after my due date!"  ;)

I "enjoyed" your description of your cat at night, not because I wish that upon you, but because I'm glad I'm not alone! I have a crazy cat who meows and knocks things over and wants to be fed in the middle of the night.  The worst part is that when I get up to pee he thinks it's time to play, and then when I stumble back to bed because it's only 4:30 in the morning, he starts back up again.

Today is my shower.  My friend who is also pregnant (I'm only about 2 weeks further along) is throwing it, and I hope she's not finding it a big hassle.  One of our other friends, B., whom I invited mostly because I thought he was the most likely to be excited to be there (not because we're super-close, but he's baby crazy and would be thrilled to be included), asked her if he could bring three extra people with him!  She'll probably be glad when this is all over.  I'm going to go to my water aerobics class a little later this morning, and then I'll head over to my friend's house with some tissue paper flowers to help her decorate.  I wish she would have let me throw her a shower in return, but it's her second baby and she said she doesn't want one (I helped throw her first one).

I am hearing y'all about short tempers.  I was so cranky yesterday!  I feel better today.

Aliy, I read what you said about feeling a little bad about getting some secondhand items for your friend's shower.  I wouldn't mind at all getting used items at mine today, so I don't think you should feel self-conscious.  It's frugal AND green!  ;)

First child born March 2011.  Constantly in awe!
#134 of 475 Old 02-12-2011, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest~mama View Post

Aliy- what preterm stuff are you dealing with? Today I started having tightening/contrax like things. They were on and off all day then got more steady and noticeable as the afternoon went on. They were every 5 min or so all night but short. I didn't have this with DD so it's new to me. I would hate to do that for long, especially going to work and trying to concentrate. Just wondering what anyone else's experience with this type of thing is?

This is me. Fully expect to yet again slowly labor thru the first stage of labor over the next couple of weeks. Means many nights of hours of ctx close together but they always peter out. When it does kick in I go fast from 5-10cm.  Mental drain I tell ya!

Our GREAT #8 due September 2012! joy.gif
#135 of 475 Old 02-12-2011, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

Aliy, I read what you said about feeling a little bad about getting some secondhand items for your friend's shower.  I wouldn't mind at all getting used items at mine today, so I don't think you should feel self-conscious.  It's frugal AND green!  ;)

ITA with this. I love getting nice 2nd hand stuff, or homemade stuff. When you get something from a store, sometimes it's just something that was easy to find or purchased hurriedly. I buy stuff I like, and stuff that is useful, so when I am giving something that I've already used as a gift I am putting some thought into how useful it's going to be for that person and it's probably going to be something that was well loved.

On the prodromal labor thing, the grass is always greener isn't it? I have friends who labor like this and they HATE it. But as someone who, thus far, doesn't have a ctx until labor starts and then gets 24 hrs straight of early labor followed by a day of active labor-laboring on and off for days and getting some of that work out of the way sounds great!

Banana, doula wife to Papa Banana and mother to Banana One, Banana Two, Banana Three, Banana Four...

#136 of 475 Old 02-12-2011, 08:53 AM

Ugh. There is so much I wanted to do today, but right now I am lying here because I woke up this morning with some serious rib pain. It's so freaking uncomfortable!

#137 of 475 Old 02-12-2011, 10:04 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

Agreed.  I've had a few friends who have specifically asked for used or hand-made items only for those reasons!

---Jessica---Livin' my life from A Peace.gif(1/05 ) to Z  jammin.gif(4/08 ).....and z babyf.gif(3/11)

#138 of 475 Old 02-12-2011, 11:16 AM

I read up on promodal labor and I think it's not all that bad. With dd I had about 48hrs of on and off labor before she was born. Turns out she was posterior. I like the idea of my body working a bit here and there over weeks instead of hard work for 3 days. I guess the difficult thing is the mental aspect of it. A mama would have to get good at not getting her hopes up! I know dh was all worked up over my spell yesterday but I kept telling him it was very unlikely it meant I was going into labor.

#139 of 475 Old 02-12-2011, 12:49 PM

well went out and bought some covers for my prefolds today. went through my diapers last night and realized i didn't get most of my covers back from a friend I lent them to. and some of the one i have had super shot elastics..... so i bought both baby stores nearly out of the small and newborn covers....lol... i like have lots of covers in the first bit casue then i can have a back up in the diaper bag and extras for washings and JIC's

more money than I wanted to spend but hey it's not a huge deal when you come down to it casue this is so much cheaper than disposibles..... i spent $100 and I have a new diper ( bamboozle) and 6 new covers and the baby will not need and other diapering supplies. lol I actually have enough diapers to probably diaper twins easily, with still a few days in between washings. I like to have lots of options casue you never know whats going to work for this baby???!?!!?

lots of people seem to be intuitivley referring to my baby as a girl lately.... who knows... i'll find out in a few weeks.

#140 of 475 Old 02-12-2011, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana731 View Post

MLM- Do you feel like having dealt with six already, that caring for twins won't be that difficult for you or are you apprehensive ? Sorry, I just wonder this kind of stuff! lol.gif

Good question!  I go back and forth on it.  Some things don't seem like a big deal.  I've tandem nursed a toddler and infant, so having two latched won't be a biggie, but if they both struggle with latching problems it'll be rough.  I've decided to try to push a pacifier this time, even though we've never used them before, because I might not be able to mama-soothe both at once.  But when I read about twin toddlers, it just sounds like more of the same when my 4 and 2 yo decide to get in trouble together.  So much will really depend on their individual temperaments.  

Another difference is that this will be the first time we've had newborns with the older kids in school.  We were homeschooling when all the others were born, and I always had an older hand around when I needed it.  This time, it'll be me, the twins, and the 2yo, with the 4yo joining us in the afternoon.  That sort of makes me nervous.

#141 of 475 Old 02-12-2011, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylilmonkeys View Post

Another difference is that this will be the first time we've had newborns with the older kids in school.  We were homeschooling when all the others were born, and I always had an older hand around when I needed it.  This time, it'll be me, the twins, and the 2yo, with the 4yo joining us in the afternoon.  That sort of makes me nervous.

That would make me want to pull an older child out of school just so they could help out. my mom always said that her 4th baby was the easiest (last baby) because she had a 9yo to help out. 

Marissa, Partner to J geek.gif, SAHM to A (05/09)fly-by-nursing1.gif and I (03/11)stork-boy.gif. we cd.gif
selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.giffemalesling.GIFecbaby2.gif part-time and familybed1.gif through infancy. planning ahomebirth.jpg
#142 of 475 Old 02-12-2011, 03:52 PM

Actually, for quite unrelated reasons, we're pulling 11yo dd out of school, but not until next school year.  But it had crossed my mind that there will be a couple advantages for me in it. :)

#143 of 475 Old 02-12-2011, 04:28 PM

wow MLM you certainly are going to have your hands busy.......

#144 of 475 Old 02-12-2011, 06:22 PM

:( childfree evening and i'm too sick to go anywhere. don't know if we'll have any more of these for a while.

Sara ~ one dh + one 5yo boy + baby in 2011
#145 of 475 Old 02-13-2011, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaPOW! View Post

:( childfree evening and i'm too sick to go anywhere. don't know if we'll have any more of these for a while.

Aww, I'm sorry.  Did you get some good rest anyway?

We had a childfree evening last night as well, DD spent the night with my parents.  We went out to eat.  I was planning on sleeping in a little bit this morning, but apparently I can't do that anymore.  I'm just so uncomfortable in bed all night long, I usually can't wait to get up.

#146 of 475 Old 02-13-2011, 07:35 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaPOW! View Post

Awww. Bummer.  I echo Rockycrop, did you at least get some rest?

---Jessica---Livin' my life from A Peace.gif(1/05 ) to Z  jammin.gif(4/08 ).....and z babyf.gif(3/11)

#147 of 475 Old 02-13-2011, 08:15 AM

thanks ladies. yeah, a good nights sleep is sooo hard to come by. and i just can't sleep in anymore. i'm the first one up these days. body doesn't like being in bed for so long, even if my brain was on all night.

i organized most of the kitchen cupboards instead lol and ended up staying up much later than i usually do in order to do it. (and so that i could welcome my boy home when he got back).

oh well. sunday chores today, and back to the grind tomorrow. no rest for the mama.

OH! and my husband had a doctor appt on friday to look at his foot. the swelling is still pretty bad, i wanted to make sure it wasn't broken. they don't *think* it's broken, but a radiologist is going to look at the x-ray. it's still a really bad sprain, though :/ he's been a lot more helpful this weekend, however. so, gotta give kudos where they're do. we managed to knock a couple of items off of the todo list.

6 more weeks!

Sara ~ one dh + one 5yo boy + baby in 2011
#148 of 475 Old 02-13-2011, 11:09 AM

had a wonderful date with DF last night. went to a nice restaurant and a movie. after we got home and had put DD to bed he told me he had "cheated on me". apparently fantasizing about another woman counts as cheating to him lol.gif. considering we've been going through a rough patch intimacy-wise, I consider it normal and healthy. 

#149 of 475 Old 02-13-2011, 12:24 PM

LOL...Marissa's mom--sure, it's funny, but I remember how incredibly awkward it was a while back when I felt obligated to admit to my husband that I kinda had a crush on a friend of his.  It feels really bad when you have a close relationship to not be able to help a bit of mental straying.  He was working 2 1/2 hours away at that point and hardly ever home, and I missed him so much and was so lonely, so this poor guy who's main "crime" was being a lot like my husband....ehh, well.

And, yeah, I envy the women who get extra-horny when they're pregnant.  For me, between being so big and unwieldy and my SPD meaning that half the time we try, I hurt myself, and it's just not been worth it.  To me, that is.  Hehe.  It'd still be plenty worth it for poor DH.

#150 of 475 Old 02-13-2011, 01:10 PM

I'm so excited as i am now 37wks. Baby can come anytime except next wkend. LOL It has to wait until dh comes back home from his trip out of town.

We installed the base to the carseat today in the van. I'm almost ready for the baby!!! I just need my diaper bag and put what I need in it. I also need ot do my hospital bag too. SHould do that today or early this wk.

I have been having bh's or prodromal contractions for the past few days in the evenings. It hurts more than a bh, so it's probably prodromal. Anyone else have this or had it?? I just really hope that this baby wait until next monday, then it can come out anytime and I will be happy to see him or her.

Sand, Mom to three girls and a new SON!!!!  babyboy.gif Born on March 7th, 2011  I get to do these again:   bfinfant.gifslingboy.gifcd.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page