Help me entertain my 3 kids tomorrow - Mothering Forums

#1 of 4 Old 01-28-2009, 04:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I feel dumb posting this. I need creative minds... because I don't have one. My sanity depends upon answers.

Tomorrow is the second day school is closed here. Today my older two kids spent the day with the neighbor 6yo girl. I'd like to see my kids tomorrow, give the other mom a break, not feel so guilty for passing them off, etc. And the guilt is huge for not knowing what to do with my kids.

The high temperature will be barely above freezing and the wind chill fairly well below. We are in Oklahoma. My kids are not used to this. The 1/2" of snow is not enough to entice them outside for more than two minutes before they're inside again. I'm not driving anywhere on the roads.

My 6yo is the kind of kid you need to plan the day for and keep one step ahead of, or she's moping around saying she's bored and is only happy playing internet games. (I'm fine with that, just not for 12 hours.) Keeping her busy is the biggest hurdle I have to homeschooling her. If I were to try to it would either be too easy and it would waste her time, or it would be too difficult and she wouldn't try. From her view, there is nothing to do here b/c she's seen it all. Even the neighbor girl won't play here, and they immediately go over to her house. Everything is "bo-ring." My daughter is definitely an extrovert who needs people.

The younger two would be happy with whatever. If my oldest is bored, they're all bored, picking on each other and screaming. Which is precisely when the neighbor shows up asking if they can come play, and I feel awful because I don't know what to do with them.

Any ideas?

mom of 3 , homeschooling the oldest with google and the internet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 01-28-2009, 05:10 AM

You could make homemade play dough.

Make paper snowflakes with all your junk mail/scrap paper and decorate the house.

Get a jump on making Valentines.

Set up a scavenger hunt for your kids and maybe the neighbor kids too. Have an extra-yummy snack and a movie as the "prize" at the end. If you make it a decently long hunt and a two hour movie, you've filled three hours!

Homeschooling, etsy-crafting Mama to spunky DD (12-04) and wife to DH.

#3 of 4 Old 01-28-2009, 02:04 PM

Do they like to help in the kitchen? Mix up some sugar cookies and let them help cut them out and decorate them. Then eat them with some hot chocolate in the afternoon.

Work on a jigsaw puzzle together.

Watch a couple of movies and eat popcorn.

Put on the radio and dance.

Sit at the kitchen table and color or do an art project.

Play board games.

Jill stillheart.gif Chris (7/96), mommy to 3 sweet redheads: jumpers.gif Matthew autismribbon.gif (12/02), Michelle (8/05) and Marissa (1/10). Nursing since 2002.

#4 of 4 Old 01-28-2009, 07:48 PM

Second the cooking idea...great for learning math/nutrition, and also feeling like they've contributed to the family...have them make lunch or dinner, or bake. Maybe Pizza, or cookies. Depending on ages and abilities. Even LOs like to mix and help.

If you're just trying to occupy your 6yo maybe make her in charge of something for the day...laundry, organizing bookshelf, cleaning bathroom. or give her a list of everything that needs to happen all day and let her decide when to do it all, but it need to all get done...include chore type things, and also fun things read a book, etc.

Art, find something different they don't always get to do...cut up old magazine for collages, wet chalk on black paper, glitter, painting with q-tips, eye droppers, cotton balls or something differnt. Look around and get creative with what you have.

HTHs. GL.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page