Stealing {X-posted in Gentle Discipline} - Mothering Forums

#1 of 1 Old 07-22-2009, 04:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm sure this has been addressed in this forum before, but I don't have the time {or the energy...I'm sure you all understand} to read through all the posts to find what I'm looking for. So please indulge me...

All of my children {ages 4 to 7 1/2} have been stealing. They get into my garage where I keep things I don't want them getting into. They take things from my purse {including money}. They take special treats DH or I have been saving for ourselves. They take things from friends' houses without asking. It's so bad that DH and I don't feel like we can even trust what they tell us about where things came from. Stuff just keeps appearing in our house that doesn't belong to us.

My 7-year-old DD even tried to take some lip gloss from Wal Mart today. The only reason she didn't get out of the store with it is that I saw her zipping up her purse and figured she had stolen something. I made her take it to an employee and apologize for trying to steal it. I explained that if she had made it out of the store with it, they had every right to call the police and that people who steal go to jail. {Scare tactic, I know, but my arsenal's a little bare right now.}

How have you all handled stealing? I'm just not sure what will get through to them because I feel like we've tried a few things and nothing seems to work. I need some fresh ideas!

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Janet

Mama to Hannah & Hailey 1/5/02 C.J. 2/18/03 Anthony & Jamie 3/23/05 Chuck 10/9/08 42-week Sam 8/9/10 Mae 4/22/12

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page