• 1 Post By SecondtimeMama
  • 2 Post By SecondtimeMama
  • 1 Post By newmamalizzy

#1 of 14 Old 10-26-2015, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Good shows for kids

My two girls, age 6 and 9 want to spend most of their time on the IPad. They love kids shows on YouTube, but even though they find some of the shows entertaining, I don't like the values they teach. Many just seem rude. Has anyone found shows they like?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 10-27-2015, 08:17 AM

Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieZ View Post
My two girls, age 6 and 9 want to spend most of their time on the IPad. They love kids shows on YouTube, but even though they find some of the shows entertaining, I don't like the values they teach. Many just seem rude. Has anyone found shows they like?
Maybe cheesy, but my girls (10 and 12) love the new My Little Pony cartoons. I actually like them, too. Even my son watches occasionally. MLP always teaches fairness, how to be a good friend, etc etc. And it managed it while also being entertaining.

We've also always been a fan of nature show and "how to" shows. While they don't necessarily impart values, they don't show kids engaging in rudeness or poor choices, too.

Married, working mom to son (almost 15), DD1 (almost 13) and DD2 (11). Oh, and badnewf, a nonobadbordercollie and 3 black cats.
#3 of 14 Old 10-29-2015, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! we do like the nature shows - they are entertaining and educational. My kids found a new youtube show called oobakids the other day, it seems to be entertaining and claims to teach good decision making and character building. I will let them watch a few times with me and decide. I love my little pony, but mostly because I have a lifelong love of horses

#4 of 14 Old 10-30-2015, 05:55 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Shows my 7 year old likes that are also fun for adults (because you aren't left going "seriously? Why would you have that in a kid's show? Ugh, can we be *more* stereotypically trite??)

My Little Pony
Odd Squad
Phineas and Ferb
Wild Kratts

I'd be careful about letting kids watching stuff off YouTube by themselves though, people will post their own edits of shows (with swearing, drawn in gore, other ick) and I've had to close out YouTube very quickly more than once.
FrankieZ likes this.
#5 of 14 Old 10-30-2015, 05:59 AM

Oh, and don't even bother trying the live action Disney stuff. DD's cousins are older and watch those and we've seen some with them and I end up spending the whole show talking over it complaining about what one character or another did. Plus, the acting is terrible and the plots are cliched. Lazy writing, lazy directing, obvious sound stages, just ick ick ick.
meowmix and FrankieZ like this.
#6 of 14 Old 10-30-2015, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, I agree some of the Disney stuff is less than desirable. Disney used to be good - what happened?

I have watched a few things on youtube - some are fine - funny, entertaining, and a couple are even educational. A lot are terrible. Some kids seem to manage their own channel - and those are awful.

Great ideas here! Thanks all.
#7 of 14 Old 10-30-2015, 05:20 PM

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Subbing as DD is starting to grow out of the preschool shows and I can use some ideas. She's been into Reading Rainbow, Dragon Tales, Magic School Bus, and Wild Kratts lately. I personally really like Martha Speaks, and our friends with older kids really like watching Mythbusters. We really enjoyed watching MasterChef Junior together also.
meowmix likes this.
#8 of 14 Old 10-31-2015, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmamalizzy View Post
Subbing as DD is starting to grow out of the preschool shows and I can use some ideas. She's been into Reading Rainbow, Dragon Tales, Magic School Bus, and Wild Kratts lately. I personally really like Martha Speaks, and our friends with older kids really like watching Mythbusters. We really enjoyed watching MasterChef Junior together also.
The kids have loved all those shows! We also like Good Eats a lot. And I think Alton Brown made a similar show geared more towards kids, too. OK, like me, DD2 LOVES House Hunters International, but maybe yours might think it was boring.

My son ADORED Thomas the Tank Engine when he was younger. I loved the show, too, especially when George Carlin was reading. Our friend's 5 yr old loves Paw Patrol and Octonauts, and they are cute shows, but I find them a little bland.

Married, working mom to son (almost 15), DD1 (almost 13) and DD2 (11). Oh, and badnewf, a nonobadbordercollie and 3 black cats.
#9 of 14 Old 10-31-2015, 06:44 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I have fans of MLP here too, same ages as your girls. They mostly watch pbs shows if they watch at all. My older DD has asked about getting Netflix so she can watch Dude What Would Happen...apparently they see this in school sometimes. I guess it's a show where a group off teens do off the wall experiments, a science-based show she says.
#10 of 14 Old 11-02-2015, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowmix View Post
My son ADORED Thomas the Tank Engine when he was younger. I loved the show, too, especially when George Carlin was reading. Our friend's 5 yr old loves Paw Patrol and Octonauts, and they are cute shows, but I find them a little bland.
I really liked Octonauts. It helps if you interpret it as actually being a professional scientific survey crew and not just random animals looking at other random animals. Then you can imagine backstories for them.

Thomas has always bugged me, didn't realize why until I saw Chuggington. The trains in Thomas are only a team when they're forced to be. Otherwise they're cut-throat competitors with an eye out for when they can one-up the other trains.
#11 of 14 Old 11-02-2015, 06:29 PM

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
I always feel the need to match around singing Creature Report! after my DD watches Octonauts. Our absolute favorite for preschool age had to be Wonderpets, though. So ridiculous, and hilarious. Always gets us singing our whole life in libretto.
#12 of 14 Old 11-03-2015, 04:12 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
welcome to my channel
#13 of 14 Old 11-04-2015, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmamalizzy View Post
I always feel the need to match around singing Creature Report! after my DD watches Octonauts. Our absolute favorite for preschool age had to be Wonderpets, though. So ridiculous, and hilarious. Always gets us singing our whole life in libretto.
omg.. the kids watched Wonderpets a couple times.. when they were really too old to watch Wonderpets. But it was so FUNNY! All that singing. LOL!

#14 of 14 Old 11-04-2015, 09:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
For those using YouTube for shows SciShow has a kid's show now (SciShow Kids), it's a really fun little science show that teaches in easy to understand terms.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page