• 1 Post By meowmix
  • 1 Post By philomom

#1 of 6 Old 05-02-2016, 01:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Question Kids and Gadgets

Hello Everyone!

I can see that gadgets with small screens separate families as everyone is looking into his own tiny screens. We loose a lot of time with it and don't have enough time to talk to kids. Also it becomes challenging to get all members of family together. I understand we live in tech world and gadgets are around. My question is: do you know gadgets what help to unite the family? Help to get everyone together?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 05-02-2016, 02:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanB View Post
Hello Everyone!

I can see that gadgets with small screens separate families as everyone is looking into his own tiny screens. We loose a lot of time with it and don't have enough time to talk to kids. Also it becomes challenging to get all members of family together. I understand we live in tech world and gadgets are around. My question is: do you know gadgets what help to unite the family? Help to get everyone together?
I have the same problem!
My little sister spend a lot of time with her smartphone or laptop. Every day I have to take away these gadgets that to spend time together. The first question "Do you have WiFi?" is annoying when we come to cafe. Arrrr
I've heared about some small devices like a portable projector. I think it can help us...Does anybody know anything about it?
#3 of 6 Old 05-03-2016, 09:17 AM

Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
I dunno. I still talk to my kids. DD2 and I will play pass and play scrabble. Or we watch silly videos or music videos together and laugh over them. I send my daughter interesting articles I read and the like over email and she will respond. I think it's all just different kinds of communication. We do eat dinner together every night, though, and there are no phones, etc at the table. I think we have plenty of time to chat and interact AND we occasionally incorporate media into those interactions.

On gadget that has united us is the fitbit type activity trackers. It's fun to be in a friendly competition with who has the most steps. We can also challenge each other to different things. It's all friendly competition and gets us moving.
Xerxella likes this.

Married, working mom to son (almost 15), DD1 (almost 13) and DD2 (11). Oh, and badnewf, a nonobadbordercollie and 3 black cats.

#4 of 6 Old 05-08-2016, 05:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
The only gadget my kids are allowed to use when we're together as a family is an iPod with a speaker. We listen to recorded books all the time in the car, and when they really, really need to chill out at home (they read a lot, too, but my daughter gets carsick so can't read in the car). I don't know why you couldn't attach the speaker to other gadgets. They haven't had a lot of opportunity to control gadgets that could interfere with family or chore time, but when they have had that chance, we have the rule that we take the gadget away if they're using it too much or inappropriately.
#5 of 6 Old 05-08-2016, 08:07 PM

Mentioned: 552 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Kids and Gadgets

We have a no screen time during the week rule. There's just too much going on during the week to have screens going. If there are no screens, it's not a problem. They get plenty of screen time during the weekend and we do family screen time stuff too. We play the Xbox together or games on their tablets or watch a movie together. Screens and socialization aren't automatically mutually exclusive.

Married to one of the last good guys left Jim
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mom to AJ 4/07
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and Genevieve 5/09

And THEN twins: Matt 11/14
and his guardian angel Billy

Ten days in our lives, a lifetime in our hearts

Last edited by Xerxella; 05-10-2016 at 03:29 AM.
#6 of 6 Old 05-09-2016, 09:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
My kids are living at home while attending college now. We still only have one Tv in the house and eat dinner around the table every night they aren't working late. We love chatting and checking in with each other at the end of our day. Sure, they have their own computers but their time online does not seem excessive compared to some of their peers.
meowmix likes this.

Tags
Family , gadgets

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page