• 1 Post By beedub
  • 1 Post By Turquesa
  • 1 Post By KissMr222
  • 1 Post By Bogdan

#1 of 16 Old 05-16-2016, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Exclamation Are our kids using technology too often?

Sharks in the Park? Really?

Tonight I watched a story on TV3's News Hub. It showed some kids in a park, running around with IPads held in front of their faces. As they ran it did not look unlikely that they would collide, they were so absorbed in their screens. They didn't notice each other because they were playing with virtual sharks.

Sharks in the Park is an augmented reality game. The screens the kids were looking at were showing a 360 degree view of what was around them in real life, and digital images of fish they were trying to catch and hungry sharks they were trying to avoid. We were told the game was a way to get kids to exercise and still play on their iPads.

I'm not a Luddite. We are a family of self confessed TV addicts, I was watching the news on TV, I have a blog, I'm sitting writing this on my iPad right now. But honestly, where do we draw the line? If I'd watched that news segment with the sound turned down it could have passed as a Monty Python sketch.

Surely the whole point of taking your kids to the park or the playground is so they can play with other kids, take a break from technology, enjoy being outside with nature. A chorus line of Pukehoes could have performed the Can Can in matching boas and the kids wouldn't have had an inkling, they were so immersed in dodging digital sharks.

I'm pretty moderate in my views, so I reckon it's probably not doing any harm but, it just seems so unnecessary! When we go to the park, I don't see many kids sitting on the ground, refusing to move unless they have access to technology. The very nature of kids is that they like to move, explore, play. Surely they don't need an IPad game or app to help them do this, they seem to manage fine without one. For now . . .

I'm no earth mother (I can't even sew on a button and I buy in my birthday cakes), I don't have the skills or desire to live off the grid, or embrace a complete technology free existence, but I do think as a society we need to slow down, press the pause button from time to time.

Recently I have made some small, simple, changes to try to live more slowly, such as, taking some time out from technology, going to the park with my kids more often, making an effort to notice the world around me and spend time truly engaging with my family. It's made a big difference.

Therefore, there will be no sharks when we go to the park. Hopefully we'll see some dancing Pukehoes though?

raisingakiwiprincess.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 16 Old 05-16-2016, 08:12 PM

Mentioned: 552 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Sounds fun to me.

Sure. Everything you said about nature is true and great. And if kids only went to the park if they had their iPad, we'd have a problem. But, there's nothing wrong with bringing it all together sometimes.

Married to one of the last good guys left Jim
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mom to AJ 4/07
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and Genevieve 5/09

And THEN twins: Matt 11/14
and his guardian angel Billy

Ten days in our lives, a lifetime in our hearts

#3 of 16 Old 05-16-2016, 08:23 PM

Mentioned: 373 Post(s)
Quoted: 3167 Post(s)
Well...the part that gets tricky is the sometimes.

It is a lot like me saying that I'll eat just a little bit of chocolate. Most of the time it ends up being a LOT of chocolate.

So I'm not sure that little kids can manage moderate and reasonable amounts of screen time.

Two of the sanest kids I know had NO screen time, not even a movie or video until they were 7. Since then they've had exposure in extreme moderation.

They are nice well-behaved kids, one a teenager, one soon to be a teenager who eat healthy, enjoy outdoor activities, read a lot of books, do well in school, have friends, know how to cook, clean house, care for animals, garden, sing, play musical instruments and are nice to their grandmother.

I'd say that the lack of early screen time did no damage.

vaccine injury is preventable
prevent it
(if the government still allows you to say no...) #teamvaxchoice

#4 of 16 Old 06-08-2016, 11:14 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
to much internet these days wow makes me sound old lol
#5 of 16 Old 06-12-2016, 03:15 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I was thinking that the shark game would be great when you had a kid that you needed to go play outside for a little while, but had not friends available. y son & I have played Ingress & he does Geo-caching - which are both gamed that are overlayed over the real world, but make you get out & go new places.

The idea sounds crazy, but that episode is a snapshot of those children's lives. We do not know if they are always playing online, or this was something new, or what the scenario was. Personally, I limit my child's screen time to 1 hour a day, and that is if he has that privilege. I also heavily censor what he is allowed to watch, but I have let him read things many of his cohorts have not read yet, and had many parents tell me that they felt he had too much knowledge in certain areas (mainly horrified that at 9 he understood male & female puberty & reproduction).

What works for my family & my kids, may not be right for someone else's kids.
Deborah and Xerxella like this.

Wife to M , Mommy to DS aka Captain Obvious  (06/06) and DD aka Lissalot  (03/09, anoxic brain injury)
#6 of 16 Old 06-13-2016, 05:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
Tonight I watched a story on TV3's News Hub. It showed some kids in a park, running around with IPads held in front of their faces. As they ran it did not look unlikely that they would collide, they were so absorbed in their screens. They didn't notice each other because they were playing with virtual sharks.

Sharks in the Park is an augmented reality game. The screens the kids were looking at were showing a 360 degree view of what was around them in real life, and digital images of fish they were trying to catch and hungry sharks they were trying to avoid. We were told the game was a way to get kids to exercise and still play on their iPads.
Ugh. I'll bite. This turns my stomach. The reality is kids are not playing at the park anymore, not playing in the neighborhood and they are GLUED to screens. There's a new documentary our called Screenagers that talks about this newer and pervasive issue of over screen use. I hope to see it soon.

The problem is the lack of moderation, not the screens themselves. The lack of moderation is driven by the addictive nature of the games, etc. they are playing and the convenience of it for parents. I limit my DD to 2 hours a day of screen use, and we don't have hand-held devices (ipad, etc) so when she is out and about she is experiencing the world undistracted, not with her head down staring at a phone.
Deborah and Turquesa like this.
#7 of 16 Old 08-18-2016, 06:01 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
It really gets me down how screen-addicted we are. Myself included. I have to deliberately say, THAT'S ENOUGH and put it down and get off my butt. I understand it's hard for me to moderate, so it's even harder for the littles! My dd understands that if we are quick to grab the phone or laptop when we get a minute of boredom, it makes it that more of a habit to grab it every time. About remembering and knowing how to entertain ourselves in other ways. We talk about it, about things being addicting or habits, and having self control. How we FEEL better when we do things with our bodies and are not looking at a screen for hours. How we need to let our brains relax and not be stimulated by the light in the evenings, etc. It's a struggle, for sure, but I try to discuss things with my dd and stay aware of how much screen time we have. That's all I know to do, because it doesn't look like the technology train is slowing down one bit! I do think our nation needs a big dose of old school play without the virtual reality games.
Turquesa likes this.
#8 of 16 Old 08-29-2016, 04:46 AM

I also notice that my child uses its technology with or without.
#9 of 16 Old 08-29-2016, 07:48 AM

Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Quoted: 2100 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snydley View Post

The problem is the lack of moderation, not the screens themselves.
This.

We came up with a concrete plan. I have a list on my bedroom door of everything that must be accomplished before screen time: Beds made, everything from floors and dressers put away, dressed, one half-hour of reading, one half-hour of screen-free time outdoors.

After this checklist is complete, they are allowed 1.5 hours of screen time that can be allotted incrementally, e.g. in half-hour chunks, or taken all together. (I believe that American Academy of Pediatrics is saying 2 hours maximum, if any of you want to justify allowing more time. )

We don't have tablets or Smartphones, but if we did, they would follow under all of these rules, as would Pokemon Go at the park.

I warn the children that on special days, such as travel or family outings that take a long time, there may be no screen time at all, and that's OK. I also gave them a pep talk about how as they grow older, the memories that will stick are not the ones that involve Minecraft, but the ones of making friends, climbing trees, playing hopscotch with sidewalk chalk, blowing giant bubbles, etc.

All screens go off at 8:30pm, even on weekends.

My plan may not work for all families, but the point is that it's good to make a workable plan that sets those important boundaries.
Deborah likes this.

I'm the crunchy mom Dr. Amy warned you about.
#teamvaxchoice

RIP old MDC. We miss you!
#10 of 16 Old 08-30-2016, 12:45 PM

I warn the children that on special days, such as travel or family outings that take a long time, there may be no screen time at all, and that's OK. I also gave them a pep talk about how as they grow older, the memories that will stick are not the ones that involve Minecraft, but the ones of making friends, climbing trees, playing hopscotch with sidewalk chalk, blowing giant bubbles, etc.
Deborah likes this.
#11 of 16 Old 09-04-2016, 01:03 AM

Unfortunately, yes Mine is 5 y.o. Going to do something with this
#12 of 16 Old 09-26-2016, 05:16 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I don't plan on having my children on screens until they are at least 7, change of teeth. The early years are formative and rotting in front of a screen is not a part of building a whole human being. We will be removing our television when baby is old enough to know what it is, and I will
Have to break my iPhone addiction. My children will not have access to iPads or my iphone.

This will be easier for us because we plan on homeschooling or Waldorf education. I assume it's not as easy in mainstream education where screens are a requirement.
#13 of 16 Old 09-29-2016, 06:15 AM

I completely see your point... when I was a kid, a swing was probably the best thing in creation.. or was it the slide? Whilst I think all this technology is pretty amazing and rely on it myself, i'm going to make sure my kids experience the best of both worlds!
#14 of 16 Old 10-03-2016, 04:06 AM

Yes. About 1 - 2 hours a day. Don't worries.
#15 of 16 Old 11-23-2016, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen Rewcastle View Post
Sharks in the Park? Really?

I'm not a Luddite. We are a family of self confessed TV addicts, I was watching the news on TV, I have a blog, I'm sitting writing this on my iPad right now. But honestly, where do we draw the line? If I'd watched that news segment with the sound turned down it could have passed as a Monty Python sketch.

Surely the whole point of taking your kids to the park or the playground is so they can play with other kids, take a break from technology, enjoy being outside with nature. A chorus line of Pukehoes could have performed the Can Can in matching boas and the kids wouldn't have had an inkling, they were so immersed in dodging digital sharks.

I'm pretty moderate in my views, so I reckon it's probably not doing any harm but, it just seems so unnecessary! When we go to the park, I don't see many kids sitting on the ground, refusing to move unless they have access to technology. The very nature of kids is that they like to move, explore, play. Surely they don't need an IPad game or app to help them do this, they seem to manage fine without one. For now . . .

I'm no earth mother (I can't even sew on a button and I buy in my birthday cakes), I don't have the skills or desire to live off the grid, or embrace a complete technology free existence, but I do think as a society we need to slow down, press the pause button from time to time.

Recently I have made some small, simple, changes to try to live more slowly, such as, taking some time out from technology, going to the park with my kids more often, making an effort to notice the world around me and spend time truly engaging with my family. It's made a big difference.

Therefore, there will be no sharks when we go to the park. Hopefully we'll see some dancing Pukehoes though?

raisingakiwiprincess.com
yes, @Karen , they are using technology too often. And unfortunately are not using it for the good purposes. I am glad you managed to get your children out of the house and engage them in outdoor activities. Too much screen time in early age it's shown that it causes addictions and disorders so I recommend all the parents to spend more time with their kids playing or talk to them about anything they want.
Deborah likes this.
#16 of 16 Old 01-19-2017, 05:24 AM

This is a great topic. There's also a connection between too much screen-time for our kids (I have 5) and their lack of outdoor play. I work with a vision health group in DC-area and this recent blog post from their site talks about the correlation between to many screens, too little outdoor play and resulting eye health issues. Google Treehouse Eyes and check the blog.

Tags
ipads , kids , play , simple , technology

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page