Almost 5 yo still having "accidents" - Mothering Forums

#1 of 23 Old 05-25-2006, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I need some advice and help. My almost 5yo ds is still not completely potty trained. He has "accidents" every single day at home and even when we are out.
He does go to the bathroom sometimes on his own, but most of the time we have to remind him. He usually fights with us because he says he doesn't want to go, only to pee or poo in his pants two minutes later!! : It's getting unbearable and embarassing for us and for him since he does this even in public (at the park, at stores at friends houses). Ds says says he "can't" go the bathroom and that he finds it hard not to have accidents.

Help!! Dh and I are at witts end! We have two in diapers and ds' "accidents" are driving us crazy! Is this normal??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 23 Old 05-25-2006, 11:32 AM

I'm sorry this is happening to you mama, it really has to be frustrating for you and your DS. My DD still has accidents, but not as often as your DS. She usually has them on swimming days or when she is just too distracted to get to the potty in time. Usually we can tell when she is holding it, she walks pretty funny and we can try to help her get to the potty in time, but she does still have a lot of accidents even with our help. At night, she won't get up to potty, but will start crying and we know to immediately get her to the bathroom. She will fight us the whole way saying she doesn't need to go, but when she gets there she always pees/poops then goes immediately back to sleep.

We also have noticed that when DD is having some sort of stress in her life she does tend to have A LOT more accidents and we really have to remember that she is only four and we are pretty sure she will figure it out sometime--we all do!

Barbara:  an always learning SAHM of Ilana (11) and Aiden (8) living in Belgium with my amazing husband.

#3 of 23 Old 05-25-2006, 11:42 AM

Are you sure there is nothing physically wrong? Is he afraid of the bathroom? If you are sure he is purposly doing it, that is very frustrating.

I was really surprised to read that Dr. Sears advises punishing children over 6 years old for purposly pooping in their pants. First you teach them to clean up the poopy pants. I am quoting from The Discipline Book. If they continue to poop "Calmly say (not at all in a punitive tone) 'The next time you dirty your pants you will spend the rest of the day in your room and have whole grain bread and water for meals.'" Then Dr, Sears tells a story about someone who really did that to her son. I am not recommending this! I just wanted to talk say I read it. Pretty shocking, huh?

I wouldn't do it Dr. Sears way, but I would use bribes to get him on the toilet. Could you say, "We will go to the park after you go to the bathroom." or "If you do not go to the bathroom right now, we will leave the park immediatley. You can not poop in your pants at the park." That is not GD at all. If you don't believe in saying these things, I respect that. I would say those things though.

Maybe someone else can give a more gentle perspective on this.

#4 of 23 Old 05-25-2006, 11:42 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
The most common reason for soiling pants is actually constipation. It isn't normal and it is a medical condition not him being bad. Their are psycological aspects of embarrassment and denial involved.

My son had this issue and we went through several doctors befor someone knew that he wasn't being bad or lazy.

His colon had stretched so far that signals are misunderstood. Communication between the need to poop/pee and the brain isn't right because the pressure on the bladder and rectum was always there becasue he was always full of poop and it took a lot of poop to fill him up. The softer stuff would leak out around the harder stuff.

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/t086100.asp

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/t086200.asp

It took us a long time of stool softerns and slowly weaning him off to get my son's system right.
#5 of 23 Old 05-25-2006, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinnamonDeMarco
Are you sure there is nothing physically wrong? Is he afraid of the bathroom? If you are sure he is purposly doing it, that is very frustrating.

I was really surprised to read that Dr. Sears advises punishing children over 6 years old for purposly pooping in their pants. First you teach them to clean up the poopy pants. I am quoting from The Discipline Book. If they continue to poop "Calmly say (not at all in a punitive tone) 'The next time you dirty your pants you will spend the rest of the day in your room and have whole grain bread and water for meals.'" Then Dr, Sears tells a story about someone who really did that to her son. I am not recommending this! I just wanted to talk say I read it. Pretty shocking, huh?

I wouldn't do it Dr. Sears way, but I would use bribes to get him on the toilet. Could you say, "We will go to the park after you go to the bathroom." or "If you do not go to the bathroom right now, we will leave the park immediatley. You can not poop in your pants at the park." That is not GD at all. If you don't believe in saying these things, I respect that. I would say those things though.

Maybe someone else can give a more gentle perspective on this.
Wow!!! That is not how his site is about pooping in your pants. It talks about the most common cause constipation. I don't remember reading that in the book but it has been a few years.
#6 of 23 Old 05-25-2006, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsupialmom
Wow!!! That is not how his site is about pooping in your pants. It talks about the most common cause constipation. I don't remember reading that in the book but it has been a few years.
He talks about constipation also. He advises to check for that first.

His punishment advice is really shocking.
#7 of 23 Old 05-25-2006, 01:26 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.SearsTheDisciplineBook
Irresponsible pant soiling.

When older children (past age six) soil their pants by choice and not by accident, they are old enough to learn how to be responsible for cleaning their soiled pants. This increases the motivation to learn proper bowel habits. In a non-punitive tone show and tell him how to clean his pants—once. After that it's up to him. After all, it's his poop in his pants. This is guaranteed to get his attention, and he will love you for it because it says you are dead serious about his getting this problem fixed. You will not have him embarrassed anymore!!!
This is what I read from the discipline book. I couldn't find the part about sending a child to his room with only bread and tap water for meals. That doesn't sound consistent with what Dr. Sears recommends for discipline - could he have been using that as an example of what NOT to do?
#8 of 23 Old 05-25-2006, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Could you say, "We will go to the park after you go to the bathroom." or "If you do not go to the bathroom right now, we will leave the park immediatley. You can not poop in your pants at the park." That is not GD at all. If you don't believe in saying these things, I respect that. I would say those things though.
I don't know if he is purposely doing it but sometimes it seems so, because he doesn't care if he is wet or even poopy. I have started saying things like "if you don't go to the bathroom to pee we will leave" because we are just sooooo frustrated with the whole thing.

Treemom2: ds also fights us the whole way to the bathroom. He will sometimes sit on the toilet and for a long time and do nothing at all, just to soil himself 5 minutes later. I don't think he is afraid of the bathroom.

Marsupialmom: Could it be constipation even if he poops 3-5 times a day? Would that involve pee accidents as well?
#9 of 23 Old 05-25-2006, 02:10 PM

Yes, it can still be constipation even if he poops 2-3 times a day.....Most likely it is soft sticky bm that is passing around the harder bm. If the rectum is full of bm then it presses on the bladder causing the "I have to pee/full bladder" causes mixed signal and leaks.

I wouldn't be surprised if you told me he goes several times a day small amounts then once a week or so he bm's adult size and or fills the toliet and is hard to flush.

There are other things to help him bm....get some flax seeds meal/oil into him. Have him sit on the toliet after meals, your body is naturally moving then (some parents find waiting 5 minutes first then sitting is helpful). Start out slow minute or two then add time to 5-10 minutes.

Water him, let him carry a water bottle around

Stay away from Bananas, rice, apples (even juice), and toast. Some high fiber foods can be constipating. Stay away from dairy.
#10 of 23 Old 05-25-2006, 02:14 PM

That wording is just like my version of The Discipline Book except minus the water and bread punishment. I swear I am not lying, it is really in my book.Mine is copyrighted in 1995. I guess he softened his stance on it later. I am glad he doesn't advise it anymore.

PinkPixie is it a power struggle? If you gave him permission to wet his pants and made it no big deal would he choose to use the bathroom after a while? It is really more convient that cleaning up the accidents. This is really tough.

I am also curious if pee accidents go along with consipation.
#11 of 23 Old 05-25-2006, 02:31 PM

CinnamonDeMarco I remember reading the same thing in my Discipline book by Dr. Sears too. It does seem pretty harsh.

My dd has been diagnosed with constipation/encopresis and from what I understand if the colon is full it can cause problems with the bladder too. The ped also checked my dd's urine to make sure she didn't have an undiagnosed UTI which is common with constipation. An undiagnosed UTI could cause pee accidents.
#12 of 23 Old 05-25-2006, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

PinkPixie is it a power struggle? If you gave him permission to wet his pants and made it no big deal would he choose to use the bathroom after a while? It is really more convient that cleaning up the accidents. This is really tough.
We used to make no big deal at all when he would not go to the bathroom, just change his pants and underwear and not say a word. We did this from the start when he started potty training at 2.5 yo. At that age, we expect accidents to be normal.

At 3 yo, we started the "sticker rewards". Ds loves stickers, so we made a large cardboard toilet rewards board, and he could put a sticker after every pee and poo. He loved this. He would still have accidents though, but we would just change him and that would be it. This continued until last september, that's when we started getting discouraged about it all. He does sometimes go to the bathroom and puts stickers on his cardboard and other times he just doesn't even bother to make the trip to the bathroom. I always have to bring extra undies and pants for him.

Dh and I are getting so discouraged and worried for him. I'm afraid that he will continue to soil himself and that he will be embarassed in front of other children and people. When he soiled himself at my parents house and an other adult noticed, he started screaming and crying. He was really embarassed and obviously hurt. He's already shy to start with and I think his accident problem is hurting his self-esteem.

Ds was suppose to start school last september, but couldn't attend until he qualifies as "completely potty trained" Now we are really worried that he won't be potty trained for next september and will miss out on another school year.

When does this accident thing start to be abnormal? He's a smart, loving little boy that hit all his milestones in the norm. His does stutter slightly and have a lisp, but the speech pathologist said he is fine and has great concentration and is definitely ready for school.

I think I'll get him checked out by the ped regarding the constipation issue. Dh and I have run out of ideas of why ds is having so much trouble with potty training.
#13 of 23 Old 05-25-2006, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
The most common reason for soiling pants is actually constipation. It isn't normal and it is a medical condition not him being bad. Their are psycological aspects of embarrassment and denial involved.

My son had this issue and we went through several doctors befor someone knew that he wasn't being bad or lazy.

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/t086100.asp

It took us a long time of stool softerns and slowly weaning him off to get my son's system right.
Thank you for these links!! I have finally had time to read them all and I definitely recognize my son in them!
#14 of 23 Old 05-25-2006, 03:20 PM

Quote:
That wording is just like my version of The Discipline Book except minus the water and bread punishment. I swear I am not lying, it is really in my book.Mine is copyrighted in 1995. I guess he softened his stance on it later. I am glad he doesn't advise it anymore.

I am also curious if pee accidents go along with consipation.
It could be My son was born in 1994, so I must have read that version and just don't remember it. It wasn't until 1998ish that my son was diagnosed and it was as readly diagnosed/understood then. Many doctors told me he it was behavioral and Dr. Sears could have originally thought it was but changed when he learned more......it does seem like he does actually try to educate himself.
#15 of 23 Old 05-25-2006, 10:18 PM

My dd started having accidents at the age of 5 after being completely potty trained. It wasn't a rejection of using a toilet since she was doing that too. She would deny she had had an accident or hide the underwear. It was very puzzling. Changing her diet a bit seemed to do the trick. After limiting dairy and making sure she drinks juice every day it stopped happening.

I'd look into physical causes for the problem. Food allergies/sensitivities, constipation, or even sensory issues might be the cause.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#16 of 23 Old 05-25-2006, 10:25 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I am sorry -- I know how you feel. My dd, 6, still has accidents almost every day. Sometimes multiple times in a day. She finally got invited for a playdate and had a pee accident while there, despite lots of prep and making sure she knew where the bathroom was. Sigh.

So, sorry, no advice, just a cyberhug.

Carolynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkPixie
I need some advice and help. My almost 5yo ds is still not completely potty trained. He has "accidents" every single day at home and even when we are out.
He does go to the bathroom sometimes on his own, but most of the time we have to remind him. He usually fights with us because he says he doesn't want to go, only to pee or poo in his pants two minutes later!! : It's getting unbearable and embarassing for us and for him since he does this even in public (at the park, at stores at friends houses). Ds says says he "can't" go the bathroom and that he finds it hard not to have accidents.

Help!! Dh and I are at witts end! We have two in diapers and ds' "accidents" are driving us crazy! Is this normal??
#17 of 23 Old 05-26-2006, 12:43 AM

Moving this to Childhood Years

We may not have it all together, but together we have it all
#18 of 23 Old 05-26-2006, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynnMarilynn
I am sorry -- I know how you feel. My dd, 6, still has accidents almost every day. Sometimes multiple times in a day. She finally got invited for a playdate and had a pee accident while there, despite lots of prep and making sure she knew where the bathroom was. Sigh.

So, sorry, no advice, just a cyberhug.

Carolynn
Thanks, it's comforting to know that I'm not alone in this situation.
I just can't wait for it to end. He couldn't join JK last september, and, if it doesn't stop, he won't be allowed to join Senior Kindergarten in september *sigh*.
to you to.
#19 of 23 Old 05-26-2006, 01:12 PM

PinkPixie if he is diagnosed with Encropresis he can join the JR. K.....It is a medical condition/disablity that they have to just work with.
#20 of 23 Old 05-26-2006, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
PinkPixie if he is diagnosed with Encropresis he can join the JR. K.....It is a medical condition/disablity that they have to just work with.
I had no idea, that reassures me. I don't want him to miss out. I'm going to make a ped appointment today to see about encropresis.
#21 of 23 Old 05-27-2006, 04:22 AM

Give him and you a break and put him back in diapers or pull ups. The pressure of expectations can be so stressful that he may be emotionally disturbed by it. It may even be the cause of his problem. I would put the pull ups on and never mention it again. I would tell him he can wear them as long as he wants.
#22 of 23 Old 05-27-2006, 06:05 AM

First, a big hug to you and your DS - this sounds emotionally and physically stressful and draining for you guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyzombiecat
I'd look into physical causes for the problem. Food allergies/sensitivities, constipation, or even sensory issues might be the cause.
DEFINITELY second this - sounds really like a physical cause. Food sensitivities are grossly underrecognized and rarely talked about in our culture, and you'd be floored by just how much a sensitivity can influence pee/poop frequency, constipation, ability to recognize when you have to go/how quickly the sensation "I have to pee/poop" comes on, etc. Seriously. I have a friend who's DS is senstive to dairy and wheat gluten - he pees every 15 minutes when he gets some hidden wheat or diary, and every 3 or 4 HOURS when his diet is clean. Another mom I know has a DD who gets absolutely constipated if she eats blueberries! But for my DD, blueberries are almost always have a slightly laxative effect. Sooo, just goes to show you that there's a wide range of sensitivities, but man, the fact that he's perhaps not sensing the need to go, but then goes 2 minutes later - sounds like constipation and/or sensitivity. I'd start looking from there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayala Eilon
Give him and you a break and put him back in diapers or pull ups. The pressure of expectations can be so stressful that he may be emotionally disturbed by it. It may even be the cause of his problem. I would put the pull ups on and never mention it again. I would tell him he can wear them as long as he wants.
I respectfully disagree with this suggestion. Sure, for a social situation (like a playdate or when you're out at the grocery store), save him the embarassment of an accident. But otherwise, please consider letting him go without any covering at all when he's at home -- reassuring him that there's no embarassment, you're there to support him through this learning process, and you set him up for success (small portable potties in each room?).

Many *many* children do significantly better at recognizing their elimination signals (and making it to the bathroom) when they go without any covering at all! This allows them to better sense their bowel/bladder habits, make the connection. Putting your DS back into diapers or pull-ups full time is perhaps sending a message that you don't want to send? Obviously, if there's a health issue going on here, until you figure out what that is, do what you need to do to keep yours and DS's stress levels low. But consider that there are other ways to help him be successful besides full-time diapering - the situation would have to be extremely dire for me to put an almost 5yo back in diapers full time (again, barring some serious physical ailment that necessitates full-time diapering).

As for dealing with the accidents, I'd suggest a teamwork approach - like having DS help clean up the accidents and do the accident laundry in a totally non-punitive, gentle way. Definitely no stress, just simple, matter-of-fact, "when we have an accident, here's how we clean it up, and we work together as a family and help each other out."

Really hoping you're able to find a physical culprit soon - and that all of this will be behind you shortly!
#23 of 23 Old 05-27-2006, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miziki

DEFINITELY second this - sounds really like a physical cause. Food sensitivities are grossly underrecognized and rarely talked about in our culture, and you'd be floored by just how much a sensitivity can influence pee/poop frequency, constipation, ability to recognize when you have to go/how quickly the sensation "I have to pee/poop" comes on, etc. Seriously. I have a friend who's DS is senstive to dairy and wheat gluten - he pees every 15 minutes when he gets some hidden wheat or diary, and every 3 or 4 HOURS when his diet is clean. Another mom I know has a DD who gets absolutely constipated if she eats blueberries! But for my DD, blueberries are almost always have a slightly laxative effect. Sooo, just goes to show you that there's a wide range of sensitivities, but man, the fact that he's perhaps not sensing the need to go, but then goes 2 minutes later - sounds like constipation and/or sensitivity. I'd start looking from there!

As for dealing with the accidents, I'd suggest a teamwork approach - like having DS help clean up the accidents and do the accident laundry in a totally non-punitive, gentle way. Definitely no stress, just simple, matter-of-fact, "when we have an accident, here's how we clean it up, and we work together as a family and help each other out."
I find the diet influence very interesting. I just hope the ped will know something about food sensitivities and my sons situation.

I find this idea of teamwork cleaning very good, I never thought of that before! I'll get him to help me load the washing machine with his clothes (he has so many accidents, I actually have a load just for his pants/underwear )

Regarding the pull-ups/diaper idea, I refuse to put diapers on ds, I find that it would damage his self-esteem being almost 5yo. I had x-large FB's (the only cloth diapers that still fit him) that I used at night when he was 3, but he decided that he didn't want to wear them because they are diapers and that he is "too old and not a baby". So I buy Goodnights because he identifies with the older children in the commercials.
I offered to buy pull-ups for ds several months ago when I was exhausted and pregnant and wanted an easy way out,and he refused saying he was too old and that they were for little children like dd. He also doesn't want to wear his Bummis training pants either, only regular undies will do.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page