What are your favorite fairy tales? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 5 Old 03-04-2007, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Our ds is almost 4 and I'd like to start a collection of fairy tales for him. We have one 3 little pigs book, but but it's a weird version and different from the classic story that I grew up with so I want to start out with some new books.

My favorites are:
Jack & the Beanstalk
Hansel & Gretel
The Three Little Pigs.

There are several fairy tales that I know the names of but honestly don't know or don't remember the story. So this will be an experience for me as well.

What are your favorites and why?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 03-04-2007, 11:40 PM

Honestly I don't think many children are developmentally ready for true fairy tales until about six or seven. What I do think most kids your son's age are ready for are folk tales: Goldilocks and the Three Bears, Three Billy Goats Gruff, Three Little Pigs, The Mitten, This Is the House that Jack Built, The Enormous Turnip, Shoemaker and the Elves, This Is the House that Jack Built, The Gingerbread Man, Little Red Hen, Stone Fox. A few fairy tales that might be appropriate are Little Red Riding Hood, The Three Sillies, The Wolf and Seven Kids, Star Money, The Old Woman and Her Pig. I generally like the editions by Galdone, Aylesworth, or Marshall.
#3 of 5 Old 03-04-2007, 11:44 PM - Thread Starter

I didn't even know the difference.

I did order Goldilocks and the Three Bears and The Three Little Pigs

Thanks for your help.

#4 of 5 Old 03-05-2007, 05:21 AM

I havent done any real fairy tales with my 2.5 dd till now. However, we've done modified versions of:

Three lil pigs- they dont try to kill the wolf or scald him, the wolf just huff n puff for a while at the brick house then heads for home when he realises its not working out

Jack n the beanstalk- jack's mummy is a nice lady and not mean like the original version- she gave jack some money to buy anything he wants for himself and he chose the magic beans. Also, jack knocks n waits for the giant to open the door(instead of creeping in), and the giant is a friendly guy who invites Jack in for a playdate and dinner. And jack saves a nice piece of chicken for mommy in his pocket and was told he can go back for playdates as often as he wants!

Goldilocks- the bears didnt scold/try to eat her at all, instead, they told her nicely to please ask for permission the next time she wanna visit, and mummy bear who saw how sorry golilocks is offered her one more bowl of porridge with the family and from then on, they became friends and often play at each other's house (with permission of course!).

I dont think my dd is ready to handle books with mean/intentionally unkind mummys or characters getting killed get, so thats all we are doing for now
#5 of 5 Old 03-05-2007, 03:20 PM

My 3.5 yo DS loves fairy tales and we have a few collections of them and I get them from the library too.
His favorites are Three Little Pigs, Hansel and Gretel, Seven in One Blow, etc. I was editing out the scarier stuff until very recently. He loves that the innocent are victorious at the end and I think the witch or evil doers do not bother him much because the good win out at the end.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page