My 2 Year Old Loves Matchbox Cars More Than He Loves Me! - Mothering Forums

#1 of 8 Old 05-14-2007, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
LOL. Okay, I'm kidding. I'm not truly jealous of matchbox cars, but am AMAZED at how "into them" he is!!! He wants to go to sleep with them, and always has to have one with him. If we set it down, he is very concerned about seeing it.

Anyone's else's child like this?? (Tell me I'm not alone!).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 05-14-2007, 05:00 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Well, it wasn't matchbox cars, but it was garbage trucks. For 2 L O N G years!

There are kids who simply have 'obsessions'. Matchbox cars seems to be a common one. We've moved on from garbage trucks to fire trucks and now seem to be moving into busses and bus schedules. As I left ds at kindergarten today, he was sitting on the double bike, reading his bus schedule, getting ready to do his 'route' on the playground.

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#3 of 8 Old 05-14-2007, 07:01 PM

my 3yr old is the same way. for the first 2 years of his life he was attached to me. he had no interest in a "lovey" or special comfort item. now he always has to have his favorite toy with him at all times. in the car, to bed, to the bathroom, everywhere. i figure he'll grow out of it when he starts school.

#4 of 8 Old 05-14-2007, 07:04 PM

My 2yo is exactly the same - he loves them!
#5 of 8 Old 05-15-2007, 09:45 AM

My DS is 5.5 now and the car obsession has lasted 3 1/2 long years, with no signs of abating any time soon. Just yesterday, he lined up all his cars by color and made a big chart of how many of each color he had and then added them up on his cash register/calculator ! His car obsession has extended to real cars and he talks incessantly about this new Jeep or that new Toyota. I've learned more about cars in the last 3 years than I ever knew in the 35 years before that ! You are not alone ~ just be prepared for the car thing to continue... and continue... and continue. I'm convinced DS will grow up and get a job in the automotive field.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#6 of 8 Old 05-15-2007, 10:42 AM

My ds was like this too. He started at 11 mo old and didnt look back. He used to lay on the floor and just roll them making "vrrrrrooooom" noises and watch the wheels.

he is almost 6 and they are still quite popular, although his bike is his favorite thing now.. and his ride on tractor.. and he likes to build cars with his legos too.

anything with wheels!!!
#7 of 8 Old 05-15-2007, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGee View Post
just be prepared for the car thing to continue... and continue... and continue.
I played with matchbox and hotwheels non-stop from my earliest memory onward... and continued to play with them way too long (maybe 13 or so) Although at that point it was mostly radio controlled cars. When I was 15 I bought my first REAL car (for $100) and worked and worked on it till it ran and was my car to drive once I had a driver's licence a year later.
I am 27 now and I have had maybe 30+ cars in my life, including 3 currently (4 if you count cars I am keeping for other people). I race, I study, I tune, I modify... I visit no less than 3 car message boards daily.

My son has driven his hotwheels around since he was maybe 10 months old (23m now) making a low grumble for the muscle cars and a high pitched weeeeen for the imports =) He knows which one is the Hachi Roku and he knows that if he brings me the Porsche 550 Spyder I will say "The 550 spyder is the most beautiful car ever created."

Hah I even have google video of him drifting a radio control car at 20m

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...13189477304395

In short, we are hopelessly obsessed and loving it.
#8 of 8 Old 05-15-2007, 02:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My almost three year old is the same way with those cars and probably always will be. Her dad is a mechanic and he often takes her with him to job sites where she gets to help him "fix" the engines and computers. So cars/trucks/engines of all kinds are her passion (she's a big daddy's girl). I was the same way as a kid. I think it's all just really cute.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page