coloring/drawing - Mothering Forums

#1 of 8 Old 08-28-2008, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
how well does your 3yo color/draw?

almost 3yo ds is really into this lately, and his scribbles now look like recognizable objects. they're so cute i want to save them all. :

mama to DS born 9/7/05, DD born 8/20/07, DS born 9/4/10 and DS born 11/26/13

Loving our chaotic, crunchy, homeschooling life!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 08-28-2008, 04:58 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
The only thing my ds ever drew was spirals. He could trace through a maze but had absolutely no interest in coloring or drawing. Still doesn't.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#3 of 8 Old 08-28-2008, 05:02 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
My dd drew a really cool rather accurate picture of her slide at this age, so we took a picture because she had a tendency to draw something cool, then color over it until you couldn't see it, and cry if we tried to take it to save

Heather, mama to Harriet, Crispin, in with Tom and 2

#4 of 8 Old 08-28-2008, 06:21 PM

My son still doesn't draw. If I ask him to draw our family I'll get heads with stick arms and legs. He only recently started coloring, too. Before he'd scribble the crayon a couple times, and say "I'm done"

:Pagan Mom to Danny and Mal , Wife to Charles Pet Parent to kitty Paige.
#5 of 8 Old 08-28-2008, 07:25 PM

My 3 yo DD will color a picture of a coloring book very well, but free-form drawing still looks mainly like scribbles. She's been doing a lot of straight lines and curves lately and she's really been into having me help her write her name, so I think it's some "pre-letter" stuff. She also loves to trace her hands and will do that (and mine) over and over again.

By contrast, my 5 yo only recently bothered with coloring inside lines of an outline, but has been drawing free-form stick figures for close to a year. At first they were the 'potato people' type--round heads with 2-4 appendages coming off of them. But some of his latest drawings that came home from kindergarten were much more detailed--they had trunks, hands, feet, etc. He's just never been into drawing as much as his little sister has. However, he loves tracing through mazes, dot-to-dot puzzles and those "find the object" type puzzles.

Wife to a great DH, SAHM to 3 great kids
#6 of 8 Old 08-28-2008, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaFox View Post
My son still doesn't draw. If I ask him to draw our family I'll get heads with stick arms and legs. He only recently started coloring, too. Before he'd scribble the crayon a couple times, and say "I'm done"
Completely age appropriate drawings. Just wait a few months (or less) and suddenly the heads will be attached to bodies.

One happy momma joy.gif to a very spirited little girl dust.gif, her tough little brother superhero.gif, and a happy little suprise late April 2012 stork-suprise.gif. Wife to an overworked and under paid husband geek.gif.

#7 of 8 Old 08-29-2008, 12:20 AM

She'll be 3 in October and is an awesome artist. She draws people, cats, flowers, buildings, cars, coffee cups, bugs, etc. She draws whole scenes and sizes things appropriately. She also loves tracing around things.
One thing I find interesting, though, is that all of the shapes are fairly roundish. Her houses look like smurf houses. Her cars look all space age. I don't think she can draw an actual square or triangle.

Mandy, mother to Alexandra (10/14/05) and William (12/21/07)
#8 of 8 Old 08-29-2008, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaquitita View Post
how well does your 3yo color/draw?

almost 3yo ds is really into this lately, and his scribbles now look like recognizable objects. they're so cute i want to save them all. :
Oh, I remember this! I did start to save them all. And then drawing became such an obsession that even keeping a quarter of them was overwhelming!

DS is 7 1/2 now, and I have several large plastic tubs FULL of drawings. Not to mention the entire fridge, the walls of his room, the hallway, and at present ALL OVER the kitchen table!! While I write this, DS has shown me no less than 4 new pics of these monsters he's been into drawing. Ahem, 5... 6... 7... he's particularly on fire this evening.

Enjoy mama! It's so fun to see those first few "real" somethings in the pics. DS started a few months before his third birthday (he drew a person with body, head, face and limbs). He's been drawing ever since.

Em

Em 43 - Wife to hubby Mom to DS born: Jan. '01

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page