What are you knitting these days? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 51 Old 09-02-2011, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)

I have been happily working on shawls and old projects that never seem to get finished all summer and now I can't seem to stop making hats and mittens! I guess it is better to do  those now so that they will be ready when the cold weather comes instead of waiting until my kids need a new hat to cast on for one.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 51 Old 09-03-2011, 05:15 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I haven't been knitting near enough considering I've got a ton of holiday presents I need to get at

I am knitting a light blue preemie sweater b-c Im 30w pregnant and seemingly going at any moment. I don't know if the baby is boy or girl so Im doing light blue w butterfly buttons. Then a green,blue,purple stripped hat to match

I also have the second sock on the needles for my FIL for xmas.

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
#3 of 51 Old 09-03-2011, 05:12 PM

My brother had a new baby in May and it's been so fun knitting clothes for her- I miss my kids being so small!  I made her a little sweater and a skirt. 

Busy keeping up with three children and an awful lot of chickens!

#4 of 51 Old 09-05-2011, 08:16 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I'm trying to get ahead on Christmas.  I'm always giving one lucky person something partially knit with the needles still in it.  Last year, I did leg warmers for many of the people on my list.  I sewed mismatched buttons up the ones for my nieces which turned out cute.  This year, I'm making shrugs.  I made ones for my nieces that coordinate with last year's leg warmers.  I've been impressed with how they keep track of the knit things I give them and use them.  I think I'm going to make the boys arm warmers (like leg warmers but for arms).  I think my son would wear them.  Sometimes he doesn't want to wear a coat but his arms are cold.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#5 of 51 Old 09-07-2011, 04:24 PM

The Dude Sweater (on Ravelry)  My DP is going to be "The Dude" (The Big Lebowski) for halloween.

hildare likes this.

Julieknit.gif, DP to modifiedartist.gif, mama to DD (7)dust.gif , and DS (5)joy.gif

#6 of 51 Old 09-08-2011, 08:28 AM

I finally started a wrap for myself with a pattern that I have been looking at for years.  I am about half way done.  I can't wait to wear it this fall. 

#7 of 51 Old 09-08-2011, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

I started some socks today to take with me to work on at a conference I will be attending this weekend. Socks are great because I don't have to pay attention to a pattern and except for the heel and instep I don't really even have to look down while I am knitting. There is a sweater I am dying to cast on but I think I need to promise myself to first finish at least one of the two 98% completed sweaters I started last year.

#8 of 51 Old 09-08-2011, 04:31 PM

I currently have a lace scarf on the needles and my second of a pair of socks (first socks ever, kinda fun to knit). Next is new hats for the kids for winter and one for DH and myself. Then who knows what. I also just finished a adorable little pair of baby booties for a friends newborn. 

~Katie~ married to J, mom to DD- A 13 yrs ,DS- L 7yrs , and my little nursling DD2- R 5yrs.

crochetsmilie.gif

#9 of 51 Old 09-26-2011, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter

Just finished another sweater and now I am trying to decide whether I should make more mittens for gifts this winter or some socks - just because I love knitting socks.  smile.gif

#10 of 51 Old 09-27-2011, 10:51 AM

I'm new to knitting (been crocheting just about all my life, though) so i am cranking out a lot of scarves, haha! I've done a couple nice little beanie hats...but would love to move on to sweaters, shawls and ponchos...I just don't like reading patterns. I do much better looking at something or being shown how, you know? Anyway, I think this homemade Christmas is going to be all about winter scarves at this rate, hahaha!

Wife, mom to 6 great kids!...avid crafter, music lover,  reader, gardener!

homeschool.gif h20homebirth.gif novaxnocirc.gif homebirth.jpg

#11 of 51 Old 09-27-2011, 02:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I have ben barely knitting for so log.  I have the aeolin shawl sitting on the dash of my car (Fading... yes I know.) and I work on it everytime my dh drives. It has been a ufo for so long.....  Oh well.  I am starting on the baby hat from living crafts- I think I might knit one for each of my kids.  I have been contemplating starting a new sweater for myself too.  I have some really nice dark rose ella rae that is calling out to me.  I have kind of lost my knitting desire.  Perhaps it is due to little hands pulling out the needles a time too many.

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#12 of 51 Old 09-27-2011, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter

I took a hiatus from knitting for several years when my kids were little. There was nothing relaxing about it with so many little hands wanting to pull out the needles and I rarely had time to sit down in those years. Now two of them are teens and knitting makes it easy for me to hang out with them which gives us some good time together.

#13 of 51 Old 01-21-2012, 07:28 AM

A friend of mine just had preemie twins, so I am working on teeny-tiny hats.  It was a bit of a challenge to find out what size to make them since they are only 2 lbs (and that's after a bit of weight gain!) but I found a couple of resources: http://www.thepreemieproject.com/volunteer/measurement_guide & http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/size-chart.html

#14 of 51 Old 04-26-2012, 10:06 PM

I have a patterned dish towel for my mother for Christmas on one set, and a Cerus scarf in a linen stitch on my round needles...I desperately want to get the scarf done and move on to softer material because I've got friction burns and blisters on my index fingers from having to knit so tightly (my little ones like to pull needles out of my hands too)...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mama to Sara
and Robbie

2/200, 4/52
#15 of 51 Old 04-30-2012, 08:38 AM

Location: dining at the restaurant at the end of the universe
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

I just learned to knit, and made 2 pairs of socks! I am so proud of myself, but really they are pretty easy.

Now I have started a hobo bag, made of recycled sari silk. The yarn is from Darn Good Yarn - check out some of their beautiful, unique materials! I am becoming a little bit obsessed, but loving it!

Rhu - mother,grandmother,daughter,sister,friend-foster,adoptive,and biological;not necessarily in that order. Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way (Jimmy Buffet)

#16 of 51 Old 05-03-2012, 01:58 PM

I was crazy busy knitting for a fundraiser - now i have nothing to knit - i actually started a chunky cable knit sweater in a deep forest green for my 20 mo old DS - since he wont be wearing until the fall - i made it a size 6!  My next projects are going to be some hats and scarves for X-mas.  I got a great pattern for those cashmere neck warmers - forget what they are called....

Happy at Home Mama to DD 4/95 DS 4/98 and DS#2 8/10  femalesling.GIF        h20homebirth.gif       sewmachine.gif

http://www.etsy.com/shop/motherhendoula

#17 of 51 Old 05-04-2012, 07:21 AM

I finished that shawl btw!  It turned out so pretty and has sat in my room ever since.  I should wear it sometime.....  I knit a little new baby skirtie- in case this new kid is a girl- I just need to do the cord for it.  I am also knitting a few new diaper covers- nothing very exciting- just a little knitting for in the car I guess to keep me from going insane.  I almost never knit in the house anymore...

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#18 of 51 Old 05-04-2012, 09:07 PM

I've been knitting a few baby outfits lately. It's so much fun creating with wool

HarlequinRomperBig.jpgTeddyBearFullsetBig.jpg

#19 of 51 Old 05-10-2012, 11:27 AM

Lately, I have loved knitting hats and baby washcloths on those Knifty Knitter and In The Attic knitting looms.  I have made tons of hats to sell at local bazaars in the area.  My 3 year old neice, Brianna, loves to go with me to the local craft store to pick out more colors of yarn to use for the hats. 

#20 of 51 Old 07-12-2012, 07:25 PM

These are adorable!!!

~Katie~ married to J, mom to DD- A 13 yrs ,DS- L 7yrs , and my little nursling DD2- R 5yrs.

crochetsmilie.gif

#21 of 51 Old 07-16-2012, 03:55 PM

I have been using knitting looms and knitting up a storm lately.  I have made baby, kid, and adult hats.  I have made tote bags, baby bottle covers, washcloths, etc.

Currently, I am making a multicolored scarf with  stretchy yarn I found at JoAnns Crafts.  All of the stuff I am making is for a Holiday Bazaar at the county fairgrounds in November.

The knitting looms I have been using are Knifty Knitter (long looms) and In The Attic (round looms), as well as the Tadpole wooden knitting board.  I thought I'd let everyone know, in case they wanted to use knitting looms.

Jessie

(proud aunt to my 3 year old neice, Brianna)

lactivist.giflearning.giffambedsingle1.gifknit.gif

#22 of 51 Old 07-26-2012, 07:39 AM

I just finished up a pink bonnet style hat with a big flower on the side for dd(3) and I've got a pair of teeny tiny booties on the needles for one of the many babies I've got joining the family soon. Seems like it's a full on baby boom again.

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
#23 of 51 Old 07-26-2012, 10:20 AM

tpintsch- those are seriously adorable!  I am in love!

This isn't really knitting- but I made a "Fringle" for my little one's newborn pictures. It is one of those all fringe blankets that they use for photo props.  I really thought it would use a lot of scraps- but not so much :/.  It was cute for the pictures though. I also made her a little munchkin hat in cream and brown stripe- also for the photos.  I just have no patience for knitting right now- but should start on some mittens for the kids and just keep that bag in the car...

#24 of 51 Old 08-15-2012, 07:07 AM

Nursing my new baby has left me surfing the internet way too much.....  So I had to bust out some knitting to keep me from adding way too many Pinterest projects and way too many Amazon orders.  Soooo i dug out my old Interweave magazines and found a couple of projects to work on that I have yarn for already...

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/tuckernuck-cardigan  This is for my new baby.  I have some cream baby alpaca just begging to be knit up- and this is the perfect use and my little one needs a lovely soft warm sweater for fall.  

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/berry-and-bramble-cardigan  This is for me.  I am knitting it out of some beautiful dark rose wool- I almost have one skien almost knit....  But I love the ribbing at least.

#25 of 51 Old 09-16-2012, 10:26 AM

Location: dining at the restaurant at the end of the universe
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

After smelling my gross, mildewy kitchen sponge, I decided to knit dishcloths. I bought a huge skein of cotton, and I am doing each one in a different stitch, but the same color and size. When I am finished, I will have a pile of pretty, reusable dishcloths, and will have learned about 15 different stitches, and how to read a pattern. And eventually, it will turn out to be cost effective, as I have been throwing out sponges pretty quickly these days.

Rhu - mother,grandmother,daughter,sister,friend-foster,adoptive,and biological;not necessarily in that order. Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way (Jimmy Buffet)

#26 of 51 Old 09-19-2012, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter

It must be fall - I am making socks, mittens and hats again!

My son needs a new hat for the winter and both daughters have asked for socks. They are into beanies too so I will probably make a couple of those as well. Then it will be time to get back to my sweater lol.gif

I have weaving regularly too and that is satisfying. 

#27 of 51 Old 09-19-2012, 08:03 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)

I'm knitting log cabin squares for a blanket to give to my in laws this Christmas. I have like half of them done but am getting bored, wish they'd go faster. I don't even know just how they go together yet. I have another, quicker, blanket to do after that for my SiL but I need a bigger needle set, some baby things to make (my LO is due in Jan, he or she is going to need some wool outer things), and a few small Christmas gifts like hats and gloves and mittens for various family. I'd hoped to do a lace shawl for someone else but won't have time I think. Maybe I will attempt it. Hopefully a few items for me too before the winter's through - maybe during my couple weeks off from chores after baby comes.

#28 of 51 Old 10-13-2012, 07:39 PM

Sweaters for my two youngest, and a hat and mitten set for baby boy.

Just cast on this http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/easy-pullover-for-babies-toddlers-and-kids

Dp, me dreads.gif  ds#1  goodvibes.gif, ds #2 jog.gif and ds#3 drool.gif

#29 of 51 Old 10-16-2012, 02:01 PM

I'm working on a pair of longies for my 9 month old since it's getting cold out and I'd rather dress her in cute wool than buy her pants. :-P I'm also carrying around a ball of yarn for a beret that I need to make her for her Halloween costume (I really should get on that!) and I need to make her and my other daughter both mustaches for their costumes. Based on my 3 year old's request, they're going as Adam and Jamie from Mythbusters. 

I also have a couple of hats on needles that I'm feeling bored with. I never thought I'd be one of those knitters that lets projects hibernate! Oh well. Guess that's your life with young ones. 

Superherolactivist.gif and mother to Peanut (03/20/09) and Twig (01/20/2012). Fighting for the rights of mothers out there who winner.jpg selectivevax.gif fly-by-nursing2.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg and much more! mdcblog5.gif 

#30 of 51 Old 10-16-2012, 02:07 PM

I finished up that little baby sweater- it turned out little also.  hmmm. or I have a super huge baby.  Well it will fit for the fall and be outgrown long before spring- but oh well.  I also knit a darling little wool bonnet for her.  I just started a scarf for myself.  It is a rusched one from 101 Designer One Skien Wonders.  I am using a thin black wool with sequins on it.  I think it will look amazing with my grey wool coat.  I also bought some Manos to make my baby another pair of Longies.  And I should dig out that sweater I started for myself....  

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page