Has anyone made trainers for an autistic child? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 9 Old 11-02-2005, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
My nephew is 6 years old and autistic. He's still wearing diapers - disposable ones at that. My sister is interested in trying cloth to hopefully help encourage him to use the potty. My nephew's school is gung ho about the idea (and will even wash them!!!). So I'm going to make them some and hope that it will work.

I'm still waiting on sizing info from my sister, but was just wondering if anyone has made trainers for autistic children, and if so, is there anything special I should know, or is one pattern better than another for this case? My nephew does NOT like the feeling of regular underwear, but from what my sister has read, it's usually more of a problem with lack of bulk in the underwear, so a cloth trainer might work ok.

He's been wearing the Publix generic sposies, size 5, I think. He's very small for his age. I was looking at the DD Potty Dance Pants pattern as a possibility, but have to wait until I find out if my nephew's waist will fit in those.

Any thoughts/recommendations are welcome.

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
in February '15
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 11-02-2005, 06:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How about Poquito Pants? They snap at the sides, which is convenient (would this be a problem, him taking them off?). And have an underwear-like shape but are bulky like a diaper (depending on how many layers you make them with). Heehhe and you'll be snapping soon!

Good Luck!
#3 of 9 Old 11-02-2005, 06:48 PM

I know I've seen "youth" sized diapers at adult cloth diapering sites. Would something like this work for him? https://secure3.nexternal.com/shared...unt2=804633736

Ruth, single mommy to 3 quasi-adults

#4 of 9 Old 11-02-2005, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter

Him taking them off won't be a problem. My sister does want the side-snapping style of training pant, so yes, I plan to use snaps.

Looks like the DD pattern has 1" bigger waist, AND I can actually purchase that pattern easily. I've looked at Poquito, but she's been out of stock for a while now.

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
in February '15
#5 of 9 Old 11-03-2005, 07:04 PM

My 3 yr old is autistic, and I've been wondering a little about this too. The only thing I can think of is, depending on the child, changes are very difficult, so you may want something that can fasten as close to the diapers he's been using as possible. Like, if he's been using pretty typical sposies, have them open and close with wings at the front waist. But judging from my own experience with my kiddo, some changes are very difficult, and then he surprises me and makes an easy one. But your sister knows him better than anyone, so don't go by what I've said

BTW, that's awesome the school is so open to it! I can't even get ds's school to change him unless he's got a dirty diaper. So if he's just wet, he spends up to four and a half hours in a soaked diaper and often comes home, wet through his clothes. Now he's got a bad yeast rash, and I'm sure that's why! Sorry, little rant there. But she must have found a good school!

Please let us know what you decide and how it goes! I would love to get some insight on this

Mama to my little "autie", Jackson (2/02), Evie (5/03), Charlotte (6/05), Simon (11/07) and grieving our sweet Lily Dawn, lost at 18 weeks 9/4/09 , & having a little girl July 2010
#6 of 9 Old 11-04-2005, 06:40 PM

My three year old is also autistic and I would like to start potty training him. Right now he wears bummis or proraps with trifolded prefolds at home and size 6 disposables at school, but I want to use something with diaper absorbancy that he can pull up and down himself for training. I am thinking about trying a side snapping dipe, like a motherease sandy - they come in a toddler size for 35-45 lbs. I bet that would fit your nephew since he only wears a size 5 disposable. I will use nylon pull up pants over them.

Another idea, I wonder if the new conceptions training pants pattern would fit your nephew.
#7 of 9 Old 11-07-2005, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter

Update on this: My nephew's waist size is 21.5" - only 1" more than my 16 month old's!!! Granted, my DS hasn't slimmed down yet. Anyway, I told you my nephew was on the small side for his age. He's 42 lbs, and can also still wear the 32-40lb pull-ups.

My sister says that the side-snapping diaper shouldn't bother him. He doesn't mind change like that as much as autistic kids normally do... He just does better when the change is for the better, which is normal for any kid. So my sister doesn't think it will be an issue to have a different type of closure on the diaper than what he's had in sposies.

My nephew will be visiting at Thanksgiving, so I can make a mockup in cheap fabric to try on him and see if it will work for real training pants, then I can make the real ones for Christmas.

in February '15
#8 of 9 Old 11-07-2005, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickiswing
I can't even get ds's school to change him unless he's got a dirty diaper. So if he's just wet, he spends up to four and a half hours in a soaked diaper and often comes home, wet through his clothes. Now he's got a bad yeast rash, and I'm sure that's why!

: That makes me angry. Why is he being treated so poorly? Do they dislike him? If they don't want to change diapers they should go work somewhere else! GGGRRR! You should complain and make a big ol' stink. Ask other parents if their little ones are being treated like this. Report it to the health dept! I'm just so upset that he would be so neglected in a school that's supposed to be helping him!
#9 of 9 Old 11-07-2005, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeosMama
: That makes me angry. Why is he being treated so poorly? Do they dislike him? If they don't want to change diapers they should go work somewhere else! GGGRRR! You should complain and make a big ol' stink. Ask other parents if their little ones are being treated like this. Report it to the health dept! I'm just so upset that he would be so neglected in a school that's supposed to be helping him!
I'm really upset about it as well. I'm in the process of getting it worked out, I hope. If we can't find a solution with the diapering and several other issues, I'll pull him out of preschool. I really don't want to, since he loves it so much, but his needs really aren't being met. The thing that boggles my mind is that these teachers, who chose to get in to special ed, should have known, or at least found out quickly, that they would be taking care of basic needs like this. To me it seems logical that it's something they would take in to consideration while making career choices. I mean, we don't go in to parenthood thinking, "I might have to change diapers, but I could probably just let it go. Someone else will do it eventually." No! It's a natural part of parenting! Not that different, IMO.

Mama to my little "autie", Jackson (2/02), Evie (5/03), Charlotte (6/05), Simon (11/07) and grieving our sweet Lily Dawn, lost at 18 weeks 9/4/09 , & having a little girl July 2010

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page