WAHMs in the arts?? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 5 Old 01-16-2008, 12:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Are there any wahm's who are professional artists here? I need some company and commiseration!
A

Amanda; mama to: Axel (Dec/04), Evangeline (Apr/07) and Ramsey, (Feb/09) born unassisted! Jethro Vader (Apr/11) and #5 due April 2014. 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 01-16-2008, 06:09 AM

So how do you define "Professional."

If it's I have several shows a year at a prestigious SoHo gallery and make thousands in sales at each one, then I don't qualify.

If you mean I show occassionally and I bring in a teeny tiny bit of extra income by selling t-shirts I design on cafepress, then I would qualify.

Timmy's Mommy WARNING
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
yslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
#3 of 5 Old 01-16-2008, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter

Well, for my purposes in asking the question- I mean artists who are developing a career from their art, not doing it as a side-business. I mean no offence, and don't mean to divide or exclude anyone, but I'm looking for people in the same position- which means dealing with career choices, personal development, dealing with galleries and clients for commissions, etc. Success isn't necessary-that can be so elusive! But I wouldn't include occasional crafting because I guess that could be picked up or left when it's convenient, unless the business is really thriving.
I'll leave it to you to decide where you fit in- but I'm looking for mamas who are trying to balance family/house/childrearing with their personal professional careers (different than a 'job') becuase it has specific challanges! Surely there's some out there! I need some encouragement!
A

Amanda; mama to: Axel (Dec/04), Evangeline (Apr/07) and Ramsey, (Feb/09) born unassisted! Jethro Vader (Apr/11) and #5 due April 2014. 

#4 of 5 Old 01-20-2008, 11:19 PM

Hello- I will raise my hand. I make jewelry and sell it at galleries and art festivals. I teach art at a community college a couple of evenings a week to help pay bills on a more regular basis.

I am currently only half way located at home, though. I handle all business things at home and have a studio outside of the house at a coop with other artists. I am seriously thinking about moving my studio home, but first we need to put in a stairway to the attic instead of a ladder and I am still torn as to whether or not I will be able to concentrate on my work with family around.

Well, it is actually about time for me to stop procrastinating and head out. My main complaint about my studio is that it is cold. The maintenance people programmed our thermostat to 60 degrees (about 55 in my studio space because it has windows) on the weekends and it is miserable to use my hands when it is so cold. I talked them into upping it to 68 week days, which was not easy task, but it is still really hard to get comfortable until about an half hour before it is time to leave.

ok- I am off happy making stuff
#5 of 5 Old 01-26-2008, 12:09 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
me me!
but now I have to go help build a pirate ship out of a cardboard kit.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page