Getting Started/Any Tips? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 7 Old 05-28-2008, 03:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm new to cloth diapering, a WAHM mother of 7 week old boy triplets (and a darling 5 year old girl!). I use a combination of cloth and disposables right now, but I would like to make my own diapers before the cost of diapers eats me alive. BUT I've never sewn anything before. I have a very basic sewing machine, but I'm a little confused about all the information out there. Some websites say to use this material, other websites say do NOT use the same material. Some have free patterns, other patterns are a more closely guarded secret than the recipe for coke! It seems like there is so much contradicting information.

Is there anyone who can offer assistance in the basics? What kind of thread, material, patterns are best? How much will I need? Any special tips and tricks for beginning? Should I buy a pattern or use a free one?

Also, on another note, does anyone have opinions on which diapers are the easiest to get on and off? I know prefolds are the cheapest and easiest to buy or make, but my husband is recovering from a spinal injury and finds folding them with a squirmy baby quite a feat!

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer. I'm off to read the boards to teach myself more!

Darcy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 05-28-2008, 04:28 AM

*snip*
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessDarcy View Post

Is there anyone who can offer assistance in the basics? What kind of thread, material, patterns are best? How much will I need? Any special tips and tricks for beginning? Should I buy a pattern or use a free one?

Also, on another note, does anyone have opinions on which diapers are the easiest to get on and off? I know prefolds are the cheapest and easiest to buy or make, but my husband is recovering from a spinal injury and finds folding them with a squirmy baby quite a feat!

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer. I'm off to read the boards to teach myself more!

Darcy

First off- can I just tell you how in awe I am of you for CD'ing triplets? That's so awesome!

What kind of cloth are you using right now? If you already have a particular diaper you like you can just trace around it (making sure you stretch the elastic fully- you may need an extra pair of hands for this) to make an easy free pattern. Everybody has their own favorites- I started out using the free patterns on The Nappy Network (http://www.thenappynetwork.org.nz/diy.php). I definitely wouldn't put any money into buying one if you're just starting out, get a little experience with the freebies first.

For cost-effectiveness & ease, most people would probably recommend a fitted & cover combo. If money is tight, Fern & Faerie (http://www.fernandfaerie.com/sewing_fitteds.html) has a page on making recycled fitteds from from T-shirts. You could head down to your local Goodwill and find some good deals. You can also pick up some heavy duty flannel shirts to make a really absorbant soaker pad for the fitteds. Or you can buy a bag of microfiber towels at Walmart or Target or wherever- just make sure those are only used as an internal soaker since they shouldn't touch the skin. You could use applix for the closures- very dad friendly. For a cover, you can do recyled soakers from wool sweaters- another Goodwill shopping project. Google "recycled wool soaker" and you should find a number of websites to help with that. You probably wouldn't want any less than 4-6 covers for each babe.

Pockets are pretty easy & fast to sew for a beginner, but more costly when you're talking three sets of diapers. I can usually get at least 6 diapers out of one yard of PUL, which is usually from $7-$8 a yard. You can use regular fleece inners instead of microfleece, which saves some money and does just as good a job at wicking wetness away IMO. Look around online for good deals- $6-$8 a yard is a good range. Depending on how often you want to wash, you might need upwards of about 10 yards of PUL & fleece (figuring about 20 diapers for each kiddo, and six diapers a yard). Again inserts can be anything from MF towels from Wal-Mart (trifold and stuff 'em in) to cutting up flannel shirts or buying hemp or bamboo yardage and cutting & sewing your own.

Hope that helps & good luck!

Bookworm read.gif , computer geek geek.gif , and single mom wild.gif to DS blahblah.gifbouncy.gif (11/06)
#3 of 7 Old 06-01-2008, 12:01 AM

Quote:
I just started sewing diapers, and I bought the pattern from verybaby.com. I actually made my own before that, but I like their instructions (I just used my own template, but if I hadn't had a design in mind, I would have used thiers).

Polyester thread is best, as cotton can wick.

Materials depend on what you're making. Me, I like to use PUL covers and knit terry (sherpa or burley) or hemp fitted diapers. Or pocket diapers using PUL on the outside, and knit terry (sherpa or burley) or hemp, and then stuff with microfiber and knit terry or hemp. Some people like microfleece as and inner to a pocket diaper, and then stuff with microfiber or knit terry/hemp.

Quote:
AIO's are the easiest, but take longer to dry. Pockets are nearly as easy (just stuff accordingly) and dry faster. Using a separate fitted diaper and cover is less easy, but still easier than folding a prefold.

diapersewingdivas.com is a great, active forum, where you may find better help (I've spend alot of time there recently, just reading and learning!).

#4 of 7 Old 06-02-2008, 04:44 AM

A great pattern for beginners is the Darling Diapers Unlimited http://hyenacart.com/PracticalPrince...x.php?c=0&p=46 It has directions for making fitted diapers, AIO, pockets and covers. It also has an extensive section about picking fabrics and it is a pdf so you get almost instant gratification DD also have a free newborn fitted diaper pattern, if your boys are still small. http://hyenacart.com/PracticalPrince...hp?c=0&p=78739 It is very similar to a Kissaluvs.

Marjoriewife to my best friend, Stephen, mother to Alec 5/02, Ian 2/05, Kathryn 9/09, and Peter 6/12
#5 of 7 Old 06-02-2008, 12:35 PM

another idea- since you have three going in diapers and thats quite a bit of fitteds to sew is to use chinese prefolds and covers. You could make the covers using PUL or wool. You could also make the prefolds but they aren't super expensive to buy. I used prefolds and covers with my first two and it worked well. Prefolds are very absorbent.

***I just reread the OP with the info on your husbands back...Another idea is to turn prefolds into fitteds. I think it is pretty simple. You just trim the sides and add elastic and velcro. I know there are directions online. I will find a link for you.

Mama to three hilarious kiddos- Dylan 10, Edison 7, Violet 3. Partner to my sweet man since 2/2/02- mostly just doing.

#6 of 7 Old 06-02-2008, 12:41 PM

http://www.diapersewing.com/prefold_to_fitted.htm

Mama to three hilarious kiddos- Dylan 10, Edison 7, Violet 3. Partner to my sweet man since 2/2/02- mostly just doing.

#7 of 7 Old 06-03-2008, 01:50 AM

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Wanted to suggest another easy looking Diaper,it's in PDF form so you just print it out, it's totally free. It's a pocket fitted so would need a cover but it's a one size fits all diaper.

Rita's Rump Diaper

Kami~38
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DH~41,Alex~17,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ryker~14
Harlan~9

4/05,7/05,11/10

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page