Homeschoolers in NY? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 4 Old 06-13-2019, 09:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Homeschoolers in NY state?

Can anyone walk me through the basics? My kids have always gone to public school. They're at high school level now. How would I get started? I would appreciate any info about laws, regulations, procedures... any thing about how it works, what happens, what I need to do. Anything and everything.

-Alice, SAHM to dd (2001) and ds (2004) each of whom was a 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, who each self-weaned at 4.5 years 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, who both 
-ed, who were both
-ed, and both 
.   Also, 
, and 
!

Last edited by Sustainer; 06-14-2019 at 07:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 06-14-2019, 02:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
schools.nyc.gov

I found this online. There seem to be many webpages, sticking to the DOE may be the safest bet. I my daughter is 2 and I am looking to homeshcool in the future. I am a private tutor. For years I have asked each student if they would rather learn at home or at school, every single student has replied, "HOME!" Even the very social students would love to study fast and spend the day doing other things and exploring. Public school in NYC is not the best. There are benefits to both and we will probably go through periods of both. Good Luck and I look forward to other posts.
#3 of 4 Old 06-14-2019, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Oh sorry, I meant NY state. I'm not in the city. I edited the thread title.

-Alice, SAHM to dd (2001) and ds (2004) each of whom was a 
, who each self-weaned at 4.5 years 
, who both 
-ed, who were both
-ed, and both 
.   Also, 
, and 
!

#4 of 4 Old 07-01-2019, 06:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sustainer View Post
Oh sorry, I meant NY state. I'm not in the city. I edited the thread title.
I started homeschooling my oldest last year as an 11th grader. I was very intimidated, but the process is actually very easy. Your first step is to send a letter of intent to your school's superintendent. Follow this with an individualized home instruction plan (IHIP). This is much easier than it seems, and there are many books and examples online that you can use as a reference. You just present a basic/broad plan of what will be studied. Other than that, you send quarterly reports. Mine were simple, and stated that my son "has had instruction in all the following areas, as per section 100.10 of the regulations of the New York State Commissioner of Education and his IHIP (subjects listed). We have covered at least 80% of the planned material for this quarter. XXXX has had no absences this quarter, and has exceeded the required 247.5 hours of instruction."

This link can give you the legal requirements of what material needs to be covered for each grade. http://www.p12.nysed.gov/part100/pages/10010.html Home Learning Year by Year by Rebecca Rupp served as my template for the IHIP, along with the state guidelines.

Also, consider a 24 credit hour high school completion program through a local community college. It is an opportunity to get documentation of high school completion while also earning college credit. Consider checking out local homeschool groups on facebook. This is where I got a lot of my information initially. Good luck!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page